test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

On Pets, NPCs, and Shield Balancing.

seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
This seems like the right place, since it concerns 'Powers'.

Short: Grant the 'rebalancing shields' powers or Tactical Team to all Carrier Pets, even it it means granting the same to all NPCs.

Long:

Now that we actually need to care for and protect our Carrier Pets, it kinda highlights something of a problem with them and all NPC ships.

We can recall our pets to heal their hulls.(At a rate I'd consider slow-it takes something like 30-45 seconds to heal them, not counting waiting for docking, which is 12 seconds.)

They can heal their hulls by levelling up.

What they generally cannot do(Romulan drones excepted, and even then it's once every 45 seconds-Or should be...), even when docked, is restore their shields. They are stuck with baseline regeneration, which is terrible. It doesn't help that a lot of damage will be done to a single facing rather than spread all around. So their biggest worry is being zapped through a weak facing rather than being worn completely down.

Now, the Repair Shield Fore, Rear, Left, and Right abilities, as well as 'split shields between all facings', although they're usually done by keybinds(Up, down, left, right) or clicking(The ship icon), are actual powers-you can drag them out from your powers list to your tray and activate them there. That NPCs don't have them is a reason for their hefty shield strength-they can't focus their shields vs a massive hammering.

I propose giving Carrier Pets these 5 powers, so that they may deal with incoming damage themselves. Either that, or grant them Tactical Team to do the job.

"But NPCs can't do that!" First: The Mogai has Tactical Team. Makes it tougher than most(That and being the only thing in the game using a Captain Power: Attack Pattern Alpha.) Second: That is true. So give every NPC Tactical Team or the Shield Balancing Powers or even both. You don't even need to change their shield levels or HP. People might even appreciate the difficulty bump(Be it major or minor) from having to hammer harder on shielded targets.(Although it'd make Atmosphere Assault even MORE of a nightmare...)
Post edited by seitei1 on

Comments

• kikanasskikanass Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I second this motion. I also think that our pets should be given a shield heal along with the hull heal when they rank up. Afterall what good is healing the hull if there's no shields to protect it. I think all pets and if it must be done all npc's should get tactical team or atleast the distribute shield ability and when ranking up should get a shield+hull heal and also when docked shields should heal at an accelerated rate as Hull does.