test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (July 11, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    right you guys with your E-Mail problem ... that you keep every singel one and now want them back ...

every normal E-Mail System is sometimes full and no space for more so its good that crytic cleaned them

so copy them to Word or whatever and delete them ingame like every normal player does when he want to keep them and dont abuse the ingame mail system as Bank or Notebook
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • embrosilembrosil Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kitsune424 wrote: »
    seriously it is ALWAYS you who says that, no one else, so stop it, they don't need to move their schedule around to fit YOUR timeline, no one else is complaining so just stop it...

if this is considered breaking the rules sorry I was just tired of his complaining every single patch day
    Maybe I am just not a fanboy enough? Maybe I do not worship incompetence?
  • jdskjflkjdfklsjfjdskjflkjdfklsjf Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh yay extended maint. Well at least they're actually fixing something this time. Hopefully they don't break everything else while doing it though.

The patch notes state "Server stability" so you can bet they'll break something.
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Sorry, but I highly doubt that millions play this game. I say its no more than EVE has online at any given time, somewhere around 25 to 30K.
  • alvarogarayalvarogaray Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So par for norm, here I sit from work while another STO patch is taking place. Un-par for norm I have even more time than usual to kill as tech support calls are dwindled to a current halt, thus I take the time to actually read some of the player responses on the maintenance posting

I find myself nearly run over by the storm of Wah-mbulances as their sirens fill my eyes in text form.

I couldn't go w/out adding some of my own wails to their cry... but unlike theirs, mine is at the very drivers of those vehicles....
    Really guys? your upset because you abused the email system for the course of a 3+ year run of this game and you are angry with the dev's as they tuck their tails and submit to your demands for addressing that abuse of their system?

I even read where one Klingon even went so far as to engage in Fear, and reverencing the developers as 'God' and thus deserving of such fear. Obviously a Kling' that has yet to visit Sto'Vo'Kor...

Don't get me wrong community and providers, this game is AMAZING, the community is surprisingly helpful, open, and nearly devoid of the run-of-the-mill Trolling that most MMO's over the years have propagated.
    While you complain rant and whine over mails, event bugs, and even bugs that have been resident far too long but truly do not disrupt a player's means to enjoy the game. Heaven forbid that the greater half of those playing the game are likely doing so without subjecting themselves to actually lining the developer's pockets with any Real money for their efforts.
    Shoot this is the only 'F2P' MMO I've known of that actually allows the players to fully utilize the means of pay-to-play elements w/out ever spending an actual cent of real cash.

Sure those that Do pay for their gaming in this realm should feel they are heard, acknowledged, and most importantly answered; but then you have the Lifetime account players feeling they are just as obligated being they ponied up a whopping 200$ while a sale was active, never taking into account the fact that the monthly paying players that share in the same Veteran Reward access are the ones that invested real income into this game and its overall development.

To cry out is not unusual when we are in pain regardless of species or game, but the truth of the matter is its one thing to cry out because someone shot you, its another when you shoot yourself.
    Certainly the lack of mail regulations and specifics in regards is something that could be clearer put; but lets face it if you never picked up the mail in your mailbox in your real life residence what makes you think the post office is going to actually put as much care and concern in handling getting mail back to you that was lost from Your negligence in that situation?

I for one am BEYOND impressed with the work STO's team is doing and manages to keep doing without growing as hostile as other developers have to their players.

After decades of MMO's and MMO type games I can say without any doubt, STO has done a remarkable job under extenuating circumstances; and anyone that would say otherwise may as well request that the Dev's behave as other Dev's of other MMO's have and begin shutting doors AND windows to keep the noise to a minimum from all the sirens as more WAH-mbulances make their presence known...

While we all have frustrations when it comes to certain bugs, or needed fixes within an MMO; I for one am taking the time to instead chime my siren of thanks...

Thank you Cryptic, for providing us this game

Thank you Bran, for remaining so patient with our community

Thank you players, for reminding me this is still just another MMO ....

For awhile there, when avoiding all these comments, I started to really think I had found a window from my computer into heaven....

While the party balls may now no longer work at all times, this is one Ferengi that will Keep on Dancing!!!

'Bugs are like cockroaches in your circuitry, just getting rid of those visible, in no way means they are all gone.'

I have never met a Ferangi I liked untill now. Now then While I agree fully My only issues is things like the Subspace party amplifyer. While a good and fun idea trolls are abusing it to the point they are causeing intentional Disconnections. My idea ia a suggession to make a cooldown time of at least an hour for the SSPA. I like to use it accasionaly for fun when there are very few people around but in a group of more that 5 people is not just trolling but idiotic as it makes people mad because of the crash.
  • kitsune424kitsune424 Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    embrosil wrote: »

Or perhaps you just think you are all important? Sorry but I am not a fanboy, Trekkie, yes, fanboy no. I have a life outside this game
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • coldfusion2012coldfusion2012 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lmao i gotta say watching a load of people complain and argue over stuff they have absolute no power over is what makes reading this thread my highlight of the week

if the game needs 30 mins more let them have it because you will only be back on the forums posting a bug report or filing a ticket

also any bug fixes much appreciated
    this can only mean they can work on other bug fixes
    IT'S WORSE THAN THAT IT'S A GAME JIM
  • azerdracoazerdraco Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ussberlin wrote: »
    right you guys with your E-Mail problem ... that you keep every singel one and now want them back ...

every normal E-Mail System is sometimes full and no space for more so its good that crytic cleaned them

so copy them to Word or whatever and delete them ingame like every normal player does when he want to keep them and dont abuse the ingame mail system as Bank or Notebook

Yeah, that's the way to go. ***** and moan about other people and make mass assumptions about WHY people are mad about the mail losing their items.

I mail Doffs to my Alts and Fleetmates all the time. I'd be pretty lit if a Doff I just spent 25M EC and 3 weeks searching for suddenly disappeared for no reason.

Of course, I would expect as shallow and pathetic a player from someone who has 3 of 6 listed characters named after actual canon characters. Grow some originality and accept that the rest of us don't give a damn about how you THINK we should play the game.

/endrant

To the Devs: Thanks for extending the maintenance to catch a few extra bugs so that we can all enjoy STO a little longer.
  • williampv0williampv0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    getting bugs fixed can take a LONG time indeed, got the same going with a web-tool for colleagues lol, they keep finding new bugs that pop up suddenly
  • gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bummer, but at least somebody is doing work on the game. Kuddos to whoever makes STO and the countless hours of fun its has provided so far! I have enjoyed it so much that I actually paid real money to purchase ZEN instead of just freeloading to help contribute in any way I can. This game is much more fun than Star Trek Legacy. My only quibble is that every since they implemented the Legacy of Romulus that the Borg Invasion non elite is much much harder to finish. I find myself in these too often now where the other players are exiting and giving up without finishing. I get stuck in a map by myself sometimes and if you use the request gm help, you are prone to the 60 minute penalty. The Borg invasion map is acting like its always on elite lately for some reason. A player should not be instantly vaporized with one shot. I can understand a 100% shield loss and a 80% hull loss but not 100% kill on a non elite map. This is my one and only quibble. Other than that, the game is getting more and more interesting! Now if only the Directx 11 worked, but I haven't read anywhere where this has been 100% fixed yet.

-- Keep up the awesome work Programmers/Engineers of STO :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ussberlin wrote: »

Some people do keep emails. I do from time to time, especially when they are important. But I don't keep them for very long due to a lack of organizational tools in the email system.
    Another reason why people do it is because there is no tool or function to export mail from the game mail system out to...anything.
    every normal E-Mail System is sometimes full and no space for more so its good that crytic cleaned them.....

.....and did so with no warning whatsoever. THAT is the problem. If there had been notice given to the players that this was going to happen, then there would not have been an issue. Some people may have complained, but ultimately we would have adapted and everything would have been fine.
    But no. The powers that be had to sneak it up on the playerbase, implementing it overnight with no forewarning at all. In fact, as I recall it was only confirmed by the devs when players started to ask about what they thought was a bug.
    Is it just me, or is that a bad way to introduce changes?
    so copy them to Word

There is no function to copy and paste received mails from sto barring of course typing them out by hand, which would hardly be taking a true copy now would it? ;)
    and dont abuse the ingame mail system as Bank or Notebook

It was not abuse of a system. It was using a function of a system implemented by the devs.
    I need a beer.

edited July 2013
    Sitting here watching DS9 Season 3 while I wait for the game to come back online...

Gotta love the Trolls and pathetic dips that can only scream about an extra 30 minutes, or the fact that the Devs actually DO try to fix bugs.
  • borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    azerdraco wrote: »
    Sitting here watching DS9 Season 3 while I wait for the game to come back online...

Gotta love the Trolls and pathetic dips that can only scream about an extra 30 minutes, or the fact that the Devs actually DO try to fix bugs.

i'm at season 2XD
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    embrosil wrote: »

Incompetence?!? What do you suggest? Should we execute the DEVs now?

Now, did you ever think about why they might need longer? They are restoring old mails, or at least they are restoring the items attached to them, they are diverting tribble- and holodeck-mail now, that means that they have got to do something on their large databases and might have guessed that the process would complete faster.

They can't switch the servers online while the databases are still busy for this other process, or kiddies like you will beginn to complain that now nothing works propperly.

Now let me ask you a question: Are they really incompetent? - Just because they guessed something wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
    edited July 2013

Now, did you ever think about why they might need longer? They are restoring old mails, or at least they are restoring the items attached to them, they are diverting tribble- and holodeck-mail now, that means that they have got to do something on their large databases and might have guessed that the process would complete faster.

They can't switch the servers online while the databases are still busy for this other process, or kiddies like you will beginn to complain that now nothing works propperly.

Now let me ask you a question: Are they really incompetent? - Just because they guessed something wrong?

thank you very much
    We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, my calculations seemed correct; one hour to work, one hour to ride home and one hour listning to my wife. She seemed rather happy with the fact she has another half hour of attention :D .
    i'm from the eu myself, the netherlands to be specific

Niet te hard werken he! :cool: Geniet van de zon zolang die schijnt :P .
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thanks For Your Efforts On These Particular Updates. The Latter Only Affects (so Far) One Of My Toons, But I Look Forward To The "significant Reward" On Others In The Coming Weeks. If You Guys Have Actually/satisfactorily Fixed The First Two Items, You've Just Sold A Tng Romulan Costume Set. :d

that Being Said, I Have To Echo The Concerns Being Raised By lordmalak1 And stirling191. Can We Please Get An Official Dev Response Explaining What Exactly This Fix Does, What We Should Expect, When/how We Get Our Items Back, Etc. It Would Be Ideal If That Post Also officially Acknowledged The New 100-item Mailbox Limit And Gave Some Explaination On The Thought Process Behind It, And Why It Was Released Stealthily.

Thank You.

> Signed !
    We want to keep the foundry.
    edited July 2013
    There is no function to copy and paste received mails from sto barring of course typing them out by hand, which would hardly be taking a true copy now would it? ;)

yes there is highlight the text and Ctrl+C for copy and Ctrl+V for paste
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    http://crypticstudios.com/openings

for all those of you who think they could do better.
    Just putting that out there.

So far as Cryptic being too small a studio to take on the game , yadda yadda yadda all the vitriol from the Attack Cryptic Army (henceforth known as the ACA ...Hey - If I'm gonna be called the CDF because i like the game despite its problems, then you get a 3 letter title too).

So far as cryptic being too small ...
    Would you rather that no one have taken the game and tried to do something with it ?
    Would you rather not have STO at all ?
    If that's the case, then why are you still here ACA members ?
    Why are you still here ?

You wrote some good words there, thetruenatas. Good words.

We need to understand that just because the fix we wanted isn't in a particular patch, doesnt mean it isn't on their radar, or even actively being worked on. Bug fixes and Dev time are prioritized.
    honestly, I am kind of shocked that something like the color of the TOS Romulan uniform made it to anywhere near the top of the priority list of bug fixes. I suspect that some Dev worked on the fix on their own time.
  • jiltedkittenjiltedkitten Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Last I checked, CTRL+C worked in game to copy text.
  • erectus1erectus1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Isn't past 10?:(
  • borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Well, my calculations seemed correct; one hour to work, one hour to ride home and one hour listning to my wife. She seemed rather happy with the fact she has another half hour of attention :D .

Niet te hard werken he! :cool: Geniet van de zon zolang die schijnt :P .

haha ik zou niet durfen:D ja zon schijnt hier, bij jou ook? haha leuk om eens nederlands op het forum te zien XD veel plezier wanneer de server weer online is XD
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There is no function to copy and paste received mails from sto barring of course typing them out by hand, which would hardly be taking a true copy now would it?

Highlight the text.
    Ctrl + C

Edit : I appear to not be the only one with this advice.
    edited July 2013

I have to agree with you on this one. Building a game like this from the ground up is hard enough, but utilizing outside code and "crow-baring" in features not supported by the original engine design is even harder.

Could STO be improved? Oh hell yeah. I don't think there is an MMO in existance that couldn't be improved in some way.

Can STO be improved without starting from scratch? That's the question.
    Personally, I would LOVE to see STO completely revamped and built with all the nice amenities. However, if it means that I would need to leave behind the characters I have already made, I'd really have to think about it.
  • hijaakhijaak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    New ROMULAN uniforms... AWESOME! Star Trek TOS soft boots fix??? Let's work on that before letting us buy some more cool stuff :)
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    We're conducting our final checks now! Should have you back in-game shortly. You should also be able to begin patching now :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Highlight the text.
    Ctrl + C

Last I checked you can't select text in mails.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Highlight the text.
    Ctrl + C

I tried.. doesn't seem to work in the copying mail out.
  • knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    THIS is the biggest problem with STO: Players have come to expect to be ignored even when they have legitimate complaints or suggestions.

Couldn't find better words for that. Just remembering the countless reported bugs from the LOR that were happily released, being a spit in the face of all pepople who tried to help.
    Consequences: Building up disloyal feelings towards cryptic, leading to haters leading to quitters leading to Star Trek Offline.

And i wouldn't even be sad anymore. That's the sad thing.
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the Ctrl+C works in STO mail, then the same feature in Champions Online would be nice, because you can't highlight nor copy-paste with the mail, only with the chat window and Search.

Or it doesn't work with STO either.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
This discussion has been closed.