test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is it "Host a Multicultural *Religious* Symposium"?

wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
I can't help but be curious (and I've even done a search into the archives to see if I could find a reason and could not) -- why is there a DOFF mission "Host a Multicultural Religious Symposium"? Specifically, why is it a religious symposium? Shouldn't it just be a "Multicultural Symposium"? Same mission, absent the word religion?

This is a Star Trek game. With the exception of Deep Space 9's exploration of Bajoran beliefs, the franchise has kept clear of the topic of religion. We know Starfleet was uncomfortable with Sisko's identifying as the Emissary. And with most Aliens, we've never heard anything about their religious beliefs, if they even have any. So... the mission stating it's dependency on religion seems... odd. Out of place.

So... any explanation?

I'm frankly amazed this hasn't been asked or brought up before.
Post edited by wilsonfrontier on

Comments

• klaituklaitu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are any number of Star Trek episodes that explore faith-based religious systems, even if you except the Bajorans.
  • stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm an atheist and I hope that in the future, society will move beyond religion. That said, I don't have beef with this mission because it's optional and there are still likely to be some religions around in 2409. Klingons, for one, have their belief system prominently displayed (Stovokor!).
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can't help but be curious (and I've even done a search into the archives to see if I could find a reason and could not) -- why is there a DOFF mission "Host a Multicultural Religious Symposium"? Specifically, why is it a religious symposium? Shouldn't it just be a "Multicultural Symposium"? Same mission, absent the word religion?

This is a Star Trek game. With the exception of Deep Space 9's exploration of Bajoran beliefs, the franchise has kept clear of the topic of religion. We know Starfleet was uncomfortable with Sisko's identifying as the Emissary. And with most Aliens, we've never heard anything about their religious beliefs, if they even have any. So... the mission stating it's dependency on religion seems... odd. Out of place.

So... any explanation?

Dr. Richard Daystrom impressed his moral and religious beliefs onto M5. "This machine cannot murder. It is contrary to the laws of man and God." -M5

Star Trek 5.

Dr. Phlox says he has been to a Tibetan monastery and that he has attended a mass at St. Peter's Square- ENT
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • asthalothasthaloth Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find it humorous that here I am... a fairly serious LDS/Mormon... and aside from this post I rarely mention it even to my in-game friends. Maybe three people know in game? If that?

However... on the other hand... of the 120+ people on my friends list I know each and every atheist. Why is that? Because they take every chance to explain that they are an atheist. That they don't believe in God. That Religion is foolish. Religious people are deeply annoying because they force their beliefs on everyone and preach nonstop. They quote every example of anti-religion in Star Trek without fully grasping the subtitle subtext. And they do all this even if you say "Oh god that's HILARIOUS." Because you know... we need to be reminded of their atheist-ways every single chance!

This... is a classic example of IRONY, folks.

As for the religious DOFF mission -- if it bothers you ignore it. Star Trek is NOT anti-religion. Never has, never will be. Star Trek is about accepting other cultures and exploring what makes them unique. Well that's what it used to be about anyways...

(I am aware of Gene's opinion on the subject -- but despite his opinion the show was chocked full of religious references and spent many episodes exploring the nature of spirituality and faith. )
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013

So... any explanation?

even if earth religion has died off (which is debatable as the absence of something being mentioned does not mean its not still there) we are talking about a whole galaxy of different species and races here. we know the the bajorans, the dominion, the klingons (big time), the romulans and a few others have their own religions and no doubt others will too.

the reason starfleet did not like sisko being labbled as the emissary was not because they had a problem with religion, but because they did not want their officer becoming an icon for an entire world and possibly changing their fundamental way of life and compromising his mission when religion and business were in conflict. thats a prime directive mess just waiting to happen.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Because they take every chance to explain that they are an atheist. That they don't believe in God. That Religion is foolish.

That's because if we'd said this up until 100 years ago we would have been burned at the stake for blasphemy. It's OUR time to be pushy :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited June 2013
    topset wrote: »
    That's because if we'd said this up until 100 years ago we would have been burned at the stake for blasphemy. It's OUR time to be pushy :P

The irony, is over 9,000.
  • game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    why is there a DOFF mission "Host a Multicultural Religious Symposium"? Specifically, why is it a religious symposium? Shouldn't it just be a "Multicultural Symposium"? Same mission, absent the word religion?

So... any explanation?

Why shouldn't it be called "religious" if it is a symposium on religion? (Or am I clouding the real issue here?)
    edited June 2013
    game5pock wrote: »
    Why shouldn't it be called "religious" if it is a symposium on religion? (Or am I clouding the real issue here?)

The OP is under the impression that Religion no longer exists within the Federation.
    It has been established, several times now, that while Religion has significantly less sway upon politics within The Federation / Starfleet, that such belief systems do exist.
    edited June 2013
    As a Pastafarian I'd much rather hang out with Mormons and Athiests. :D

It's more a case of the PERSONS you chose to hang out with rather than their religion/belief system. I could care less what you believe, I keep my beliefs to myself and practice them only in private or in the company of "my kind." However if annoyed sufficiently OUT COMES THE BIBLE AND THE BOOK OF MORMON. :D

BELIEVE ME, there are some obnoxious pushy Mormons out there, I could be one of them if I chose. :D

I prefer to keep such conversations out of social situations -- online and offline. I don't need to know that you chose not to believe in something. Or that your interpretation of the Word is different than mine.... or that you believe group X is going to Y because of Z according to interpretation A of passage B in Book C.

I come on here to run around and be Trekkish. That involves boldly going, shooting Borg, hoarding bunnies, and attending multicultural religious symposiums after giving a lecture on singularity containment!

Basically I see it as someone who misunderstood Trek as being anti-religious and not understanding why there is a reference to such in the game. Chalk it up to an honest concern which has now been answered several different ways including relevant canon, quotes, and personal opinions.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Klingons: Believe in Kah'less and a creation myth. Has been core in several TNG, DS9 and Voy episodes
    Ferengi: Clear religious beliefs (even have shrines they can "p(r)ay" to. Seen at least 3 times in DS9
    Bajorans: Prophets. No need to mention the number of times this has been shown.
    Vulcans: Surak and the Infinite Diversity in infinite combinations belief. Very clear in both Voy and Ent

So quite a few core species in Star Trek have clear religious beliefs, even if they are "just" on a philosophical level.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cthulhu I've actually seen a growing trnd on the net of Athetistic evangelism, Athetists didn't used to act this way, they forming churches and all kinds of stuff.

It annoys some Athetists I know who believe people of all religions deserve to be treated with respect.

I don't want to be converted by Athetists, Christians, jews, Moslems, Zorosatrians, Buddists, and so on.

No one is coming between me and cthulhu and the religiously inspired holy book the necromaticon.
  • wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    asthaloth wrote: »
    The OP is under the impression that Religion no longer exists within the Federation.
    It has been established, several times now, that while Religion has significantly less sway upon politics within The Federation / Starfleet, that such belief systems do exist.

No, I'm not.

Joe Sisko quoted a bible verse to Ben in "Far Beyond the Stars" and Uhura explained in "Bread and Circuses" that they where not talking about the sun, but the son, as in son of god.

Religion is an idea. It will always exist, because it is an idea. Practice, participation, belief may vary greatly, but it'll always exist and you'd have to be a damn ignorant fool to think otherwise.

And I am not a damn ignorant fool.

I have spiritual beliefs myself. I believe in god. I simply am personally uncomfortable discussing my own beliefs in any context, because I believe our beliefs are our own. They should be private.

My issue with this is not as an atheist. I did once, in my late teens and early 20s, identify as such. I no longer do. You can't identify as such and believe in god at the same time.

My issue with this is that the idea of asking Starfleet officers to host a symposium about, around, concerning religion seems greatly out of place with what we know of Starfleet and the Star Trek universe.

No matter how many brief references of religion and religious beliefs there are in Star Trek, no one can seriously deny that generally speaking, they tend to avoid the topic as anything but a reference. DS9 got into it heavily with the Bajorans, but otherwise, we know so very little about any other races beliefs.

As it is, the DOFF mission in question feels inappropriate for Starfleet to be ordering/offering. It would be like Starfleet saying "attend a religious service" or to observe a specific religious belief.

I simply do not believe it has a place in a game such as this.
    edited June 2013
    As it is, the DOFF mission in question feels inappropriate for Starfleet to be ordering/offering. It would be like Starfleet saying "attend a religious service" or to observe a specific religious belief.

Except when the entirety of DS9 was about Religion, and how it can be used for good or Evil you mean?

A Symposium is a get together, a gathering, it is not the President of the federation going "religion x is right, all others wrong!", it is not choosing a religion over any other, it is a handful of crew, being there to show their respect.
  • game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I have spiritual beliefs myself. I believe in god. I simply am personally uncomfortable discussing my own beliefs in any context, because I believe our beliefs are our own. They should be private.

That is fine, but I hardly think a Doff mission entitled "Host a Multicultural Religious Symposium" is forcing anybody's belief system on players.

IMO, hosting a "Multicultural Religious Symposium" is more in line with Star Trek's "message" than the "Lets blow up every damn thing we see!" activities, that are the mainstay of this game.

But thanks for clarifying your views. I'm out.

Peace
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The point of such a symposium would be to Learn about another culture.

I for one do not belive in anything other than you're born, you live, you die and you're toast...
    And I am fine with that, because that is how I see nature working.

However, that dosen't mean that I don't spend time looking into the other (to me) fantasies some people hold onto.

Why? Because it's part of who they are and how they live their daily lives... It influences them and it shapes them, and as such it's easier for me to understand you, if I know at least a little about what you believe in.

It's for the same reason i spend time reading the bible, the Qur'an, The Norse Myths... not because I want to convert or believe in them, but because these are faiths that surround me daily.

So to co-exist with these... ideas, I need to have at least have a basic understanding of what they are.

The same would go for a Starfleet / Federation officer... He would need to know what he is dealing with, and have at least a basic understanding of it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why do people want to pretend religion doesn't exist? Religion is the core of human society and always has been. The origins of civilization were tribes gathering to WORSHIP together. So I say again, why do people want to pretend religion doesn't exist?
  • zekeferrignozekeferrigno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    topset wrote: »

So a coven of closet occultists hijack a major religion and persecute the populace to hide their own transgressions doing the furthest thing from following Christ that they can do, and it is Religion's fault, Christ's fault, and anyone of any sort of faiths fault, and now you have the right to persecute too? All I am saying is, if a major group full of pomp and circumstance is murdering people for various contrived reasons they alone are aware of, that is more cultish than religion. Inquisition = The Third Reich, evil comes in various forms and always accuses people of doing the very things it is MOST guilty of. It is easy to pick on true religious folk like the Mormon chap who posted earlier proving what I am saying. He doesn't shove his religion down people's throat, yet burning people at the stake is supposed to be representative of religion?

Pot meet kettle.
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There'd probably be all sorts of religions popping up all the time, what with all the god-like beings that show up to bother the Enterprise. They are a lot more powerful than most of the things people have worshiped over the years. Gotta keep up with that stuff. :cool:
    edited June 2013
    There'd probably be all sorts of religions popping up all the time, what with all the god-like beings that show up to bother the Enterprise. They are a lot more powerful than most of the things people have worshiped over the years. Gotta keep up with that stuff. :cool:

Like when Kirk schools Kukulkan?

Giorgio Tsoukalos would NOT have approved of what Kirk did there.

http://memegenerator.net/instance/39276996
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I think you're reading way too much into that. Religions exist. Now, and then. The Cardassians just invented a new one. The Elronians, or somesuch space religion. Just cause Starfleet and the Federation acknowledge the existence of religions, doesn't mean they support all, any or even the general idea. It could be anything from polite interest (knowing what not to serve at diplomatic functions) to intelligence gathering (knowing when to dive for cover) or a cleverly disguised showcase of paranoid delusional disorders where all the Starfleet counselor cadets are hiding behind the magic mirrors. Or perhaps, they're trying to figure out a way to convince the Gorn that Aennik Okeg is the Eggbringer. PRAISE BE TO OKEG!

And some in the Federation, humans included, will no doubt plainly still believe. Even if by all outward appearances, those'll be fairly few and far apart.

As for...
    I find it humorous that here I am... a fairly serious LDS/Mormon...

You're right. That is funny.
    and aside from this post I rarely mention it even to my in-game friends. Maybe three people know in game? If that?

However... on the other hand... of the 120+ people on my friends list I know each and every atheist. Why is that? <snip>

Also, how is that. And, is that? How can you be sure that you know of all the atheists on your friends list? Did the other 115 come forward and reveal to you their religious beliefs? Why then single out the atheists for wearing their beliefs on their sleeves? How, really, short of it being written on gold plates off in some hat somewhere, do you know, exactly, that there aren't one or ten people on your friends list who are atheists who have decided to just keep things friendly, since it's a game? That they don't think everything has to be a fight all the time and everywhere, as especially with all this dilithium grinding we've got to do, who's got time to convert or deconvert anyone anyway? How do you know that you aren't merely assuming that the few atheists that outed themselves to you are the only ones in your circle, and therefor that all atheists must be like that?
    This... is a classic example of IRONY, folks.

Indeed it is. And I thank you for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • flatmattflatmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My issue with this is that the idea of asking Starfleet officers to host a symposium about, around, concerning religion seems greatly out of place with what we know of Starfleet and the Star Trek universe.

No matter how many brief references of religion and religious beliefs there are in Star Trek, no one can seriously deny that generally speaking, they tend to avoid the topic as anything but a reference. DS9 got into it heavily with the Bajorans, but otherwise, we know so very little about any other races beliefs.
    Surely diplomats and anthropologists in Star Trek would work to understand all aspects of cultures, including religion, just on a much broader scale and maybe with the prefix "xeno-" tacked on their job title?

And really isn't this what the Federation is all about? Being able to learn about, discuss, and foster understanding of all aspects of various cultures all in a peaceful and respectful manner? Including "touchy" subjects?
    I don't think this comparison is very apt. They're not saying "go tell people about your religion" or "go worship the Prophets" or even "go watch people worship the Prophets" (which I can't see much of a problem with as long as the worshipers don't mind). They're saying "organize a scholarly and diplomatic event, the focus of which will be the religious beliefs of a variety of cultures." Which is, again, totally in the purview of a Federation diplomat or the broadly-defined "advisor."

Dn'Dok, son of Ladok - Klingon/Romulan Engineer ~~ Mosa M'ren-faa - Ferasan Tactical
    Krushan Twinn - Orion Science
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Religious debates are pointless to a large extent. You can't convince a true believer out of their religion. If their belief was based on logic or reason, it wouldn't be faith. Faith is fundamentally belief without reason. You can only swing people who were already on the fence. Religionists for their part will have little luck convincing atheists of anything. We've heard it all before. We've debated it, we've discussed it among ourselves, and we have canned answers for it all. To wit:
    However if annoyed sufficiently OUT COMES THE BIBLE AND THE BOOK OF MORMON.

You can't use a document to prove itself. That's circular logic. As soon as you can verify the accuracy of the documents independently, you can start using them as a primary source. First you'd have to overcome the mountain of evidence and the prevailing opinion of historians (secular and religious) that the books do not represent historical events, were written centuries after the fact, and were in large portions completely forged.
    Why do people want to pretend religion doesn't exist? Religion is the core of human society and always has been. The origins of civilization were tribes gathering to WORSHIP together. So I say again, why do people want to pretend religion doesn't exist?

Actually, civilization was formed as a result of the invention of agriculture. Agriculture allowed a subset of people (farmers) to feed all the rest. This allowed those other people time to do other things, and alleviated the need to migrate around. People gathered around the now permanent food sources, started living in larger groups, created a social hierarchy out of necessity, presto: civilization.
    So a coven of closet occultists hijack a major religion and persecute the populace to hide their own transgressions doing the furthest thing from following Christ that they can do, and it is Religion's fault, Christ's fault, and anyone of any sort of faiths fault, and now you have the right to persecute too?

Ooh, ooh. This is one of my favorites, the No True Scotsman fallacy. Truth is, everybody thinks they are their beliefs are the "true" religion, but in fact everybody has a different idea. Those people you wag your finger at, their position is just as valid as yours. That's what happens when you have beliefs that can't be verified.

Back to topic at hand: The Doff assignment. I see no issue with it. Humans seem to have largely discarded formal religion, and Kirk sure made a hobby of killing other cultures' gods. But, religion still exists in Trek time, especially among other races as has been cited in this thread. Anthropology being a very active field of study in the Federation, this kind of symposium is to be expected. We can hope by this point in time, a secular point of view is represented as well.

Final note: Why did I bother to counter those arguments after saying it's pointless? Just in case anybody "on the fence" is reading. ;)
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No, I'm not.

Joe Sisko quoted a bible verse to Ben in "Far Beyond the Stars" and Uhura explained in "Bread and Circuses" that they where not talking about the sun, but the son, as in son of god.

Religion is an idea. It will always exist, because it is an idea. Practice, participation, belief may vary greatly, but it'll always exist and you'd have to be a damn ignorant fool to think otherwise.

And I am not a damn ignorant fool.

My issue with this is not as an atheist. I did once, in my late teens and early 20s, identify as such. I no longer do. You can't identify as such and believe in god at the same time.

I wonder if you fully understand Starfleet and the Federation. Yes, I can see Starfleet conducting a multicultural religious symposium. Starfleet and the Federation hold to the idea that all are created equal and are entitled to their own beliefs. The goal being to understand what are the differences and similarities among each culture. It would be through this understanding that you can further learn to accept and respect those who are different than yourself. A greater understanding of different cultures makes for an environment in which conflicts are less likely to occur, or if they do they can be easily resolved. Knowledge and understanding are part of the core of both Starfleet and the Federation.
    Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
    Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations
    edited June 2013

Ooh, ooh. This is one of my favorites, the No True Scotsman fallacy. Truth is, everybody thinks they are their beliefs are the "true" religion, but in fact everybody has a different idea. Those people you wag your finger at, their position is just as valid as yours. That's what happens when you have beliefs that can't be verified.
    [/i]

Those people I wag my finger at...you mean the people who LIT PEOPLE ON FIRE!? I don't think you get what I had to say. People who are truly representative of a certain faith do not behave in certain ways. To say behavior being committed is indicative of a certain belief is a fallacious argument. I don't care what you believe. My point is that true Christians do not light people on fire, true followers of Islam do not blow people up, etc. You can't blame religion for the acts of evil. So unless you are just cracked in the brain, my position, which is one of logical tolerance, is FAR superior to the position of people who burn people alive.

Wag your finger at that homie.
  • wretchedmaniwretchedmani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Forums can be interesting, but sometimes a bit of truth cuts through all the TRIBBLE.

21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. - Romans 1:21-23
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Those people I wag my finger at...you mean the people who LIT PEOPLE ON FIRE!? I don't think you get what I had to say. People who are truly representative of a certain faith do not behave in certain ways. To say behavior being committed is indicative of a certain belief is a fallacious argument. I don't care what you believe. My point is that true Christians do not light people on fire, true followers of Islam do not blow people up, etc. You can't blame religion for the acts of evil. So unless you are just cracked in the brain, my position, which is one of logical tolerance, is FAR superior to the position of people who burn people alive.

Wag your finger at that homie.

I'm not making an argument of which position is better. Clearly not burning people is a more moral position than burning people. My point is that you are no more able to prove that you are the "true Christian" (Scotsman) than those nasty old Catholic inquisitors. You can pull as many passages from the bible in support of violence as against it. That's the point that needs to be made. If nobody can prove their belief over the others, how are you to know whose is right? Everybody thinks their particular position is correct, and that they are doing what god wants. No True Scotsman.
    Forums can be interesting, but sometimes a bit of truth cuts through all the TRIBBLE.

21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. - Romans 1:21-23

Well, of the 13 Pauline letters in the bible, you acutally quote from one of the seven that was actually written by Paul and not a complete forgery. So, good on that, though I think we'll chalk it up to blind luck.

But who was Paul? Can you trust him? Do his beliefs align with yours? Fun fact: Did you know Paul was possibly a docetist? Docetism is the belief that Jesus' life, death and resurrection were not worldly events, but happened in a purely supernatural realm. If he was seen on Earth, he only seemed to be there, but it was illusory. Some docetists thought he was never on Earth at all.

If you stick to just the seven authentic Pauline letters (Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians and Philemon), Paul is very disinterested in the Earthly details of Jesus' life. He never talks about mangers in Bethlehem, sermons on the mount, Herod or Pilate, etc. He never cites a gospel as a reference, only his own revelations and prophecies from the Old Testament. Since the gospels we know of weren't even written until long after Paul died, that's not surprising, but Paul would've had access to primary witnesses like Peter. Why does he never talk about Jesus' actual life? Thus the debate that's raged for millennia... did Paul, possibly the most famous and influential Christian in history, actually believe Jesus existed on Earth?

This is also an example for the gentleman above, of the many different interpretations there have been of Christianity. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you burn people, but it is a very fundamental question.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • kneeliftkneelift Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You think this is all heated, try being a 15 yr old girl in an American school system today who actually DOES believe in God and goes to church. EVERY single one of the people I know at school, including the vast majority of my teachers, are all atheists. I asked one of my teachers once why she was an atheist and her answer was "Because religion is fake." I asked her for specifics and she said "you are brainwashed you just dont want to learn".

I really wish I was in a different school.