test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Breen as the 4th faction?

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
The title says it all. Can we PLEASE have the Breen Confederacy as a faction?:D It would be pretty awesome flying in those ships with energy dampeners and a storychain could be you harassing the Deferi or something. So does anyone want this?

You may now DISCUSS.....:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Evil Romulans before evil refrigeration units if you please. If they're going to make Breen playable they'll have to adopt Buddhism and sun tanning.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    curs0r wrote: »
    Evil Romulans before evil refrigeration units if you please. If they're going to make Breen playable they'll have to adopt Buddhism and sun tanning.

evil refrigeration suits? lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathray38deathray38 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why breen? Unlike klingon/romulan they are not commonly seen on screen, their only apperience I remember are two last seasons of DS9. We have little to one information about their culture, technology, biology - there is not even an idea how to make missions for them. Not even single character of their race played mayor role in entire TV show (even breen general supporting female changeling was minor character)

IMO natural 4th faction are Cardassians - they have a lot of appearances in bth NG and DS9, we have a lot of info about their culture and we know many important characters of their race. If we include remains (deserters) of dominion forces into their race, we could have very interesting multi-dimensional faction using Cardassian, Breen and dominion ships, with cardassian, Vorta, Jem Hadar and Breen on board.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This will never happen since they released the Chell Grett cruiser as the winter event prize. however since we havent seen much of these it allow Cryptic full rein to give them a storyline they wanted to. but sice the breen are a evil faction will never happen
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Breen, as characterized in the Typhon Pact books. would be an interesting faction. However, I don't think a storyline centered on being a drone equivalent under an oppressive and tyrannical government hell bent on enforcing an all too literal sense of equality.

The Breen Confederacy, in the books is a confederation of systems, and of many races, but they all wear the same outfit in public. The government is essentially a police state.

But, to learn more, there's a Typhon Pact book that features Bashir and Ezri, which focuses on an operation into Breen territory.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    This will never happen since they released the Chell Grett cruiser as the winter event prize. however since we havent seen much of these it allow Cryptic full rein to give them a storyline they wanted to. but sice the breen are a evil faction will never happen

Unfortunately I thought this wouldn't happen. However there is a compromise. In one of the Breen FE's it said there was a underground movement (similar to the RR) and ,instead of the Confederacy, we could have the 'Rebels' instead. Also the Breen BOFF we get is part of the movement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The Breen, as characterized in the Typhon Pact books. would be an interesting faction. However, I don't think a storyline centered on being a drone equivalent under an oppressive and tyrannical government hell bent on enforcing an all too literal sense of equality.

The Breen Confederacy, in the books is a confederation of systems, and of many races, but they all wear the same outfit in public. The government is essentially a police state.

But, to learn more, there's a Typhon Pact book that features Bashir and Ezri, which focuses on an operation into Breen territory.

Yes i've read that book. If Cryptic/PWE put some of the info from that book we could get a interesting faction especialy if it's the underground Movement I mentioned before were we could fight for freedom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, character customization would certainly be . . . interesting.
  • Options
    mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Throughout all these years, STO has carefully avoided the release of ANY Romulan ships via lockbox or event so as to keep the door open for the faction.

In the end, at the same time as giving us the Romulans, we got Tal Shiar ships for anyone. It's hard to say if that opens the door for other factions despite existing lockbox ships, but I still have to put my money on races with current lockbox ships out never seeing the light of day as full factions. Especially since the Galor is decidedly a core ship that would have needed to be a t3 or t4 freebie. I really would like Cardassians, though. I have a big soft spot in my heart for those lovable ol' spoonheads.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I say for the fourth faction we get a "Typhon Pact".. but call it something else :P

Breen
    Tholians
    Talarians
    Race X, Y & Z

????

then we can throw in some fed, kdf, and rom ships into lockboxes for them XD
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    The title says it all. Can we PLEASE have the Breen Confederacy as a faction?:D It would be pretty awesome flying in those ships with energy dampeners and a storychain could be you harassing the Deferi or something. So does anyone want this?

You may now DISCUSS.....:D

it would never work; there is no background or history to the breen, other then their suits they wear no much more then that is known about them.

the reason why people are looking for the cardassians or borg for the next playable and why no one denies it can happen on that ground alone is because both sides have a past history and a background to work from which makes them viable.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I say finish the '3rd faction' 1st :eek: romulans are half done.

but then a cardassian faction as the 4th. I think the breen could be used better in this game, they are a good bad guy. it would be nice if they expanded the breen story past the deferi missions.

also wouldn't it be a great way for them to add 'hoth' (randonmly named ice world that interests the breen) as an adventure zone planet. just like they added tatooine(nimbus III). the breen could be the main bad guy there.
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Any new faction based on any of the villains in the game would have to be a 'good guy' subset of them, same as the Republic is for Romulans. And they would need to ally with Feds or KDF in the same way.

You are never going to be playing as an enemy of everyone else (unable to join in shared content.)
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Any new faction based on any of the villains in the game would have to be a 'good guy' subset of them, same as the Republic is for Romulans. And they would need to ally with Feds or KDF in the same way.

You are never going to be playing as an enemy of everyone else (unable to join in shared content.)

/quotedfortruthandreality

And this applies to Borg, Undine, Tholians, etc., etc., etc...
  • Options
    dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I agree. The Breen culture presented to us in "Zero Sum Game" is fascinating and unique. It provides many possibilities for the game. That said, I can't imagine the Breen ever being represented as a full faction. Either way, I'd like to see elements from the Typhon Pact take on the Breen woven into the ongoing storyline of Star Trek Online.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mscowboy wrote: »
    Throughout all these years, STO has carefully avoided the release of ANY Romulan ships via lockbox or event so as to keep the door open for the faction.

In the end, at the same time as giving us the Romulans, we got Tal Shiar ships for anyone. It's hard to say if that opens the door for other factions despite existing lockbox ships, but I still have to put my money on races with current lockbox ships out never seeing the light of day as full factions. Especially since the Galor is decidedly a core ship that would have needed to be a t3 or t4 freebie. I really would like Cardassians, though. I have a big soft spot in my heart for those lovable ol' spoonheads.

Actually, I think that a Cardassian faction is likely to be next.

Of the major non-Federation races we learned a lot about on screen, you have the Cardassians, the Ferengi, and the Borg left. I suppose you might add in the Dominion. Although they only appeared in one series, there was a lot learned about many Gamma Quadrant species such as the Founders, Jem'hadar, and Vorta.

Those are the obvious choices for any future factions since there is player interest and enough information to make a faction with missions that are true to canon. There are also lock-box ships released for all of them. Cryptic is going to have to deal with the lock box ship issue for any probable future faction except the Borg.

There are probably at least 100 other non-Federation species in canon, such as the Breen or the Tholians, but it seems that there is scant canon information and scant player interest.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For the 4th faction, it should be the Tribble, Horta, and Exocomp faction.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    starkaos wrote: »

The..."Folks-without-arms-and-legs-league"
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    I say finish the '3rd faction' 1st :eek: romulans are half done.

but then a cardassian faction as the 4th. I think the breen could be used better in this game, they are a good bad guy. it would be nice if they expanded the breen story past the deferi missions.

also wouldn't it be a great way for them to add 'hoth' (randonmly named ice world that interests the breen) as an adventure zone planet. just like they added tatooine(nimbus III). the breen could be the main bad guy there.

They are good villains, mysterious, cool looking (At least I think so) and they brought the Federation to its knees. There isn't much lore to go with them, we don't even know what they look like, Novels say there are four species. I can't see it ever happening but fleshing them out and getting a peek under there masks might be cool. Perhaps they coud ally with the Romulan republic since they once double crossed the RSE.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    The..."Folks-without-arms-and-legs-league"

The Limbless League. Motto: "Hands Off!"
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lots of people spewing "never" for this and that when you folks must be quick to forget that last year Stahl was quoted as saying that finishing the KDF "might happen" to a "we're still thinking about it". Now we have that done plus the addition of Romulans. Just because certain ships have been released during events or in lockboxes, it does not subtract from the possibility of Cryptic doing whatever they damn well want to do.

Right, we don't know much about the Breen, but that offers the Devs a blank slate with which to work, even if they just appear as a larger threat than their featured episode series and/or offered up as a playable species.

Looking back at DS9 we saw a variety of conflicts arise, what was it...at some point KDF vs. Cardassians, KDF vs. Feds, and then basically Alpha Quadrant vs. Gamma Quadrant more or less? Sorry if I've hosed that up a little. Anyway, maybe at some point the the current KDF vs. Fed war will change to something else once more factions come into play. KDF and Fed vs. whomever, etc., you get the idea. To be honest, I don't get the feeling of a war with the Federation going on at all as I buzz right past the Sol System, probably due to the lack of open pvp areas of space or lack of random orders from Klingon High Command. 2 factions are enough to start some nice RvR battles...3 or 4 would be better, and periodically changing up alliances/conflicts would, in my opinion, help to keep things fresh in an ever shifting political climate.

Ok, so maybe I rattled on for a bit but the point is, the Devs will keep rolling stuff out for us. We just need to constructively request the things we'd like to see. "Never" in STO only applies in a few cases, just try to keep an open mind.
  • Options
    uchihakoojiuchihakooji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I feel the Breen would be a logical next Faction, as with at least one other person posted the Breen are so undeveloped it allows for any direction for a Faction to go. It allows for any multitude of customization any story directions and to add a little spice into the mix they could even add say Vorta or Cardassian player races.

For people who need a story reason for this, during the Dominion War, the Dominion which at the time Cardassia was a member of, decided to give Colony Worlds to the Confederacy to help entice them to join in the war against the Federation-Klingon-Romulan alliance.

EX.1) An example for a tutorial into the Breen Faction, your mission for the first 10 levels is to hunt down and either capture or kill Breen Rebels, only to end up joining the Breen Rebellion perhaps called Breen Sovereignty. I feel this one is the most likely way of doing a Breen Faction, like the Romulans how level 10 you joined the Republic in a story driven way and later joined the KDF or UFP around level 20.

EX.2) Another possible idea is a choice system not unlike the Romulan Faction, example, around level 20 or so you have to choose between the Confederacy or the Sovereignty. The only issue with this particular example is the amount of work it would take to create such a faction division as such I feel this particular possibility is unlikely, otherwise we would have had the ability to join the Tal Shiar or remain with the Republic.

Honestly I could see the first example being more likely because Story Wise you'd join the Sovereignty and then you choose either KDF or FED at the end of Level 20 like the Romulan Faction for the Republic. Do I see either of these occurring within the next year? No I do not within the next 3-4 years? Maybe, Romulans came into the game as a player faction around year 3 so it isn't unlikely to assume they wouldn't make another player faction in the next 3 or so years.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    holy necro!

...but for the record, i doubt there will be another faction added to STO anytime soon, or ever.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    At least the voiceovers would be easy to do...

"BZZZSRAC XSSASASS"

Stilll no... We've seen them 5'ish times in Star Trek... Not enough to base a faction on, and quite frankley they were boring.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I hope that the new playable faction will be Xindi!
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wanna play a Kazon faction!
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey hey now!

BAD ZOMBIE BAD GO BACK TO THE GROUND!

Seriously folks, if a thread hasn't been responded to in 30 days please don't bring it back up :( If you feel you need to continue the thread by all means make a new one! :)

/Closed ~Askray
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.