test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Core Systems Revamp Proposal and Discussion

voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Backstory: It is no secret that end-game content in this game is greatly/solely designed around a massive amount of grinding and farming. The past few seasons have seen massive systems additions like the Fleetbases and the Rep system, but other systems have been left to utter disrepair or don't even exist in the game. I understand some of this will come off as very roleplay centric, but I'm not a roleplayer and these are suggestions that would add different dynamics of end-game content.

Proposal: This will be broken down into the different systems, or an overall change that would effect many different aspects.

Exploration:

It's no secret that exploration is a huge disappointment in this game considering it is based on something where Exploring the unknown is such a huge part of the foundation.

Many different games add a "fog of war" that either darkens or completely covers an area the player has never been to before. If you've ever played an Real time Strategy games you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Something of this nature would be a huge addition to the game, but not just on its own. In addition to something like this the unexplored sectors of space need to be made much larger than they are now, the simplest solution would be to double their size.

Port of calls: There should be atleast 1 or 2 (preferably 1 space 1 ground) generic space stations or ground bases/towns per uncharted space sector chunk (chunk referring to the doubled sector space block size). These would provide basic services, and a unique service specific to that chunk. For example maybe there is a starbase that was severely damaged and they are willing to pay 20% more when you sell items to them.

More randomized missions: What little exploration there currently is seems to be exclusively tied to the patrol missions. Granted Patrol missions have been tweaked a bit, had a patrol mission in Taw Dau where I had to broker several trades, missions like this are not in the normal mix. There needs to be more trade, diplomatic, mission of mercy missions added to the mix. an example of a "mission of mercy" would be you discover a planet that is experiencing a famine because of a highly drug resistant bacteria is destroying their crops, and they are unable to find a cure. you would have to beam down to the planet, collect a few samples, then return to your ship, go to the science labs and try to find the correct solution to eliminate the bacteria, return to the surface and help spray the crops perhaps via shuttle. There are many examples throughout ST that could easily be converted to mini-missions in STO.

Trading and Commodities:

some of the most long standing sci-fi games have survived because there are so many end-game options. One of the most common is a trading system. Go to this station and buy x amount of this commodity and then go to that planet on the other side of the map and deliver your cargo netting a good profit, and sometimes you buy too high and end up loosing money. Commodity Brokers already exist in STO, they even have limited available commodities, but that's as far as they went.

Commodities should be removed from the replicator, each broker should have a random selection that changes at different times (Doff mission timer for example) and the prices should fluctuate at any given time (again doff mission timer for example). There are plenty of times where people want to play the game, but might not be in the mood to do combat or doffs or rep, and want something different. While this would add a huge amount of variety for roleplayers, sometimes you just want to relax, kick back, and explore the world without having to constantly fight.

Holodecks and the Foundry:

This is probably the most infuriating thing that has been left out of this game, and yes I do mean left out. Holodecks are a huge part of the off duty recreation, not only in Starfleet but ST wide. Currently holodecks are only utilized for a select few missions and other than that are mostly just cosmetic.

Holodecks could be hugely functional and also provide a much needed boost to the foundry system. Often times trying to search the foundry listing for story content can be agonizing to say the least and down right blood boiling infuriating at worse. All holodecks should have their own foundry access console and that should be linked to a holodeck centric foundry list. Yes I'm talking about holonovels and simulations. Simulations could be anything from battle simulations, stf tutorials, mini-games, mission replay. I know some of this already exists, but the main distinction is that these are all designed around the holodeck where as the other foundry content would be what is designed around the entire "STO real life".

Crafting:

The red headed stepchild that was left at home with only water and a pack of crackers while the family went on vacation. Pre F2P you could craft the delta flyer. Why do I mention this, because that would have been cool as **** to do. Instead of taking that idea and running with it, Cryptic removed it and abandoned it. This really needs to come back and really be expanded on, because it would really make crafting worth doing.

I understand the point of removing it so they could add the Delta Flyer to the c-store, but why not a hybrid version. The schematic for whatever small craft could be purchasable from the c-store for a small amount of zen, and then the actual crafting would require doffs/boffs, equipment, and commodities to build the specific subsystems and then some more for the final build.

A smaller ship that wouldn't really fit the combat part of the game, but would be useful for other aspects would be the Raven from Voyager, so I'll use that as an example. (7 of 9's parent's ship)

You would have to run seperate crafting for life support, structure, power systems, offensive/defensive systems, propulsion systems, main assembly, and crew and provisions.

it would almost be like a miniature rep system, with small cooldowns and linear progression.

Teir 1: Structural

Project 1: Structural Frame

Project 2: Propulsion

Tier 2: Sub systems

Project 1: Power systems

Project 2: Life Support

Tier 3: Final assembly

Project 1: Offensive and Defensive systems

Project 2: Crew and provisions.
--

Using the Crew and Provisions project as an example for project requirements

2 medical staff (1 doctor, 1 nurse)

2 engineering/operations crew

2 tac/security crew

1 boff (common)

50 drinks

50 food

The crafting system should also include more unique items that can't be purchased/obtained from anywhere else and include more than just data samples, schematics, etc as requirements.

Mini-games and Currencies:

Where are our mini-games?? Poker, target practice, targ fits, eppoh races, etc. there are a huge amount of mini-games that could be added and mini-games do provide an alternative to grinding as well. With this gpl prizes should be moved to either the dilithium store or crafting, GPL should be removed, min-games should be EC bet/reward, and lobi crystals should be changed to the proper currency of GPL. Current GPL would be converted to EC per conversion crates as has been done before with other currencies.

The only Currencies that should exist are:

1) Zen

2) Dilithium

3) EC

4) Rep marks (condensed solely to rep marks)

5) Fleet Marks

6) GPL

PVP:

Addition of more pvpve added to the pvp system. Cryptic missed a huge opportunity to interest more players in pvp but not fully separating the Romulans for the various endgame content. I personally avoid pvp because it tends to be very boring and more of a "look what I have that you don't", rather than a true challenge. The new 20 man fleet PVE showcase what can be done and the grand scale battles can be, but this was never translated to the pvp section of the game.

Conclusion:

While these changes would have a huge impact on the variety of game content they are not resource intensive changes or additions. Some of this has already been thrown around by Cryptic as systems they would like to revamp and these are merely suggestions, while other are completely new to the best of my knowledge.

Anyways I would love to hear constructive feedback from other players and the development team on this. I do ask that people refrain from the now typical "+1" on this and actually comment on what you do like about it, what you don't, and what you think could be added to make it even better. Thanks all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]