test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Cryptic game launcher has stopped working"... again

This keeps happening to me... i've added exceptions to both the internet protocols and all the programs, i've tried running as administrator and everything else... please help...

this is ridiculous.. and a little too coincidental that i happen to not able to launch the game after the most recent patch :( :mad:

can you please actually help me properly this time by not just giving me a link to an updated launcher, thinking it's gonna be ok .... it didn't work last time... would have responded...
but "Branflakes jumped the gun and locked the thread without any feedback as to whether it worked :mad:

thanks in advance if actual help is given
yours sincerely ... a Loyal 3 year lifetime STO Member!
Post edited by c0mbustiblelemon on

Comments

• c0mbustiblelemonc0mbustiblelemon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a NVidia 520 or something... and trying to run the game i get "cryptic game launcher has stopped working"
    but as soon as i switch to integrated graphics... (IntelHD ... blah) , the entire game loads and enters into game ....

is there a fix for this?
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hmm, sounds like a laptop, and one of those that has dual video chips in it. This was done in order to conserve power I believe, after all, why run your high powered graphics chip if all you're doing is working on the desktop. There are some issues with these.

When you load up the launcher, before you enter your password, try clicking Options and selecting safe mode, see if that gets you in. It will look ugly, but then you simply go into your video settings and start turning things up, and possibly find what was causing the issue.

Best I can say is to check out your manufacturers website for drivers or fixes. Google search for your laptop, or similar laptops with similar sounding issues.

Try closing down programs in memory to see if any of them are messing with it. I know Aero on some laptops plays havoc with games. You could try going through NVidia to update your graphics driver separately, but don't quote me on that, I haven't had any experience with these. I have 3 pc's here, all running Nvidia, none of them have issues with sto or anything else I run through it for that matter.

I will say this though, the STO launcher is a fickle beast. A good friend of mine with a similar system to my own, has tried on and off for 12 months to successfully get STO installed, and it never works. About a year back, I couldn't get it to install either, I had to run the launcher in compatibility mode (XP in this case) to get it to do anything. Since then though it hasn't missed a beat on my systems.

Best of luck! Laptop model would help give people more of an idea of what the issue might be too.
  • rpglynxrpglynx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have discovered that on my laptop with the dual intel/nvidia graphics card you have to set the launcher (Star Trek Online.exe) to run on intel, and the game (game client.exe) to run on nvidia you can set this up via the nvidia control panel

Well this worked for me, happy gaming
  • spisosskspisossk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks a lot, I was trying to solve this problem for months and this really worked. Thanks again.
  • raykenoraykeno Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks! It Worked!
  • mic1001mic1001 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nothing works for me, launcher won't even start, tried it for now 3 days, since last patch on Thursday. Cryptic can really mess things up. :(

the fact is many players have problem with launcher, at least one in 10, reason why many people are laving the game, I can see this on a daily basis.

No idea what the problem is, but it happens after every patch update.
  • tbenk1tbenk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Holy TRIBBLE! Setting the launcher to run on integrated graphics fixed it for me! I haven't been able to log on since March!
  • toezar124toezar124 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    how do your run it in integrated graphics?
  • wpnxsabretooth1wpnxsabretooth1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rpglynx wrote: »
    I have discovered that on my laptop with the dual intel/nvidia graphics card you have to set the launcher (Star Trek Online.exe) to run on intel, and the game (game client.exe) to run on nvidia you can set this up via the nvidia control panel

thats all well and good but what do you do if you have to launch game through Arc!?,
    or have ati intergrated graphics .
    startrek worked great on the machine im tryin now when it was download client from startrek website n play but asoon as arc gets involved poof problems galore,
    my version did this ....updated turn it off to have dinner came back launched arc hit st online it comes up on taskbar but not on screen AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    been tryin to fix this for 6 hrs brain ache has set in PLZ HHHHEEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!
  • tongi02tongi02 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well, since the patch my launcher kept crashing during load and four days ago the Support had E-Mailed me that they fixed it by some thing they called Map Moving my account or some thing and I was able to log in a play but the next day I log back in...It crashed at the select screen and now it it crashes every time during load up after I hit engage....What ever you guys did before please help!:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • sephaksephak Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rpglynx wrote: »

For a few days now the server wouldn't connect. For past few days, I click on icon on desktop and it shows up on taskbar but nothing else happens. When I click again, message comes up saying "game is already running." I'm going nuts! So I looked in the nvidia control panel but I don't see how you set up one thing to run on Intel graphics and another on Nvidia. Could someone explain that further? I'm afraid I'm still very new to gaming and really all the computer stuffin general. But I love Star Trek and my ex let me play it on his computer so time for my own setup! Thanks for any help!

Cristina
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Me too. I was having problems (20 minutes to get in and hang before disconnection) getting into sto, but now the launcher wont even launch....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• roosevelt2377roosevelt2377 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm having a launcher problem. I put in my details and I click on the login button but it doesn't do anything? Any help
  • whyomewhyome Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    same problem with the launcher & no help from Cryptic to resolve this problem but then again they might just patch it on patch day.
  • adegbukadegbuk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    New to STO and as a lifelong fan of the franchise was really looking forward to playing.

I was tempted to give up with the 8500mb of patches the game needed, which took 2 days to download, then when I started getting the game client.exe error, aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

So glad I found this post.

For anyone who is having the same problem.

Go to control panel and open the Nvidia control panel
    Click on Manage 3d settings
    Click on the program settings tab
    Click on Add
    Select STO, found in the Perfect World Entertainment Folder
    Set the preferred graphics processor to intergrated.

Enjoy the game!

Thanks Again
  • jomnmnjomnmn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The cryptic launcher was working fine while playing main character. But the problem started after playing with any alt character the game launcher just keep crashing and wont load or launch yes i did every possible scan on my computer and this was just waste of time since my computer is running good. as i wrote before the launcher block me if i play any other alt character. it looks like hack defense from cryptic launcher have gone moron mode and just block without any message or problem. no it isnt related to video card its just this new cryptic launcher that is lame or just caitian/ferasan sandbox. i did an scan trough steam it pointed several CRACK virus programs but there arent any spyware or malware active on my computer nor even hacking programs. since this kind of thing only happens with cryptic launcher. then again i write it this new cryptic launcher is caitian/ferasan sandbox:o :eek:
  • jomnmnjomnmn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jomnmn wrote: »
    The cryptic launcher was working fine while playing main character. But the problem started after playing with any alt character the game launcher just keep crashing and wont load or launch yes i did every possible scan on my computer and this was just waste of time since my computer is running good. as i wrote before the launcher block me if i play any other alt character. it looks like hack defense from cryptic launcher have gone moron mode and just block without any message or problem. no it isnt related to video card its just this new cryptic launcher that is lame or just caitian/ferasan sandbox. i did an scan trough steam it pointed several CRACK virus programs but there arent any spyware or malware active on my computer nor even hacking programs. since this kind of thing only happens with cryptic launcher. then again i write it this new cryptic launcher is caitian/ferasan sandbox:o :eek:

i did one last scan and i got this herror:
    131011 23:37:59 22 [1]: HTTP patching problem (InvalidHeader):
    140413 20:49:24 3 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 14\nThe connection to the server was lost - unexpectedly disconnected
    140502 01:48:03 83 [1]: devassert: xfer->use_http
    140508 23:43:43 21 [1]: devassert: xfer->use_http

then again the game is working here but the launcher isnt working properly since it only works with the main character.
  • voidirvoidir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Having simular issues with the launcher, now whenever I launch the game post-patch it hangs on the Cryptic screen for a few minutes then returns to desktop with a fatal error msg, Starting the launcher again informs of a detected error and wants to validate the game files but doesn't resolve anything.
  • lacuxlacux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hmm hawing troubles with patching the game--patchers stoped at 662 MB download left--any fixes?
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm also running into this problem on a laptop with Intel graphics (not dual graphics).

I just switched to a new Lenovo Thinkpad for work and wanted to jump into STO last night before I went to bed. No luck. I've confirmed that I have the latest stable Intel graphics driver installed (not the beta) but the game crashes after I log in from the launcher.

I've tried via Steam and Arc and the game keeps crashing on my laptop. I've also confirmed that my laptop's specs are well above the minimum system requirements for the game (WAY above) ... so I don't know why I can't play from my new laptop when my old laptop with lower specs worked fine.

I can still play on my desktop back home, but that doesn't help when I'm traveling with my laptop.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • psychicionpsychicion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    did anyone find a solution to this problem, i'm having the same launcher not responding problem but on the champions online game which is fromm the same company, plus i can't access it on nvidia, it seems that nvidia can't see the game LOL