test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Restart (June 1, 2013) [Complete!]

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited June 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hi Captains,

We will be performing a quick restart of Star Trek Online tonight at midnight PDT (click here to view in your timezone). We expect the restart to take about 1.5 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

NOTE: As this is just a restart, there is no patch.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I should be asleep at this point, so rock on :D
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • Options
    chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know what this means ....

Shard Shutdown party at ESD #1!!!!
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyperion1980hyperion1980 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you actually fixing any bugs this time?!?!?! Or can we look forward to another server restart on Sunday. Really, I own an IT company and if my people showed your level of incompetence they would be fired......
    Hi Captains,

We will be performing a quick restart of Star Trek Online tonight at midnight PDT (click here to view in your timezone). We expect the restart to take about 1.5 hours. The test server may also be unavailable during this time.

• Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you actually fixing any bugs this time?!?!?! Or can we look forward to another server restart on Sunday. Really, I own an IT company and if my people showed your level of incompetence they would be fired......

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Also: WTF?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Some how I doubt your 'company' deals with the issues cryptic does.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Dstahl said on the Ask Cryptic May 2013 that they are working to fix all the problems and the bugs will be repaired in one huge patch later this month. Also Cryptic do a great job and it is unfair for you to refer to them as "Incompetent"

Rock on Cryptic!
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited June 2013
    well of course they wouldn't... not every company would constantly need to restart their servers on a daily basis like cryptic would.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Dstahl said on the Ask Cryptic May 2013 that they are working to fix all the problems and the bugs will be repaired in one huge patch later this month.

personally I think that's just about the dumbest thing they can possibly do. If they already have a known fix for a problem, don't sit on it to try to make yourself out to be some kinda f'n hero later on down the line... get it out there now to stop aggravating your customers. I'm fastly reaching my breaking point and quit playing sto all together. They've had months to sort this TRIBBLE out and sitting on a fix is just totally asinine.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2013

IT is TOTALLY different from game codes so don't even go there and say they are incompetent there is no comparing the two.
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You know what this means ....

Shard Shutdown party at ESD #1!!!!
    Yeah lol, Perhaps Q will pay an early visit and refurbish ESD again!
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    personally I think that's just about the dumbest thing they can possibly do. If they already have a known fix for a problem, don't sit on it to try to make yourself out to be some kinda f'n hero later on down the line... get it out there now to stop aggravating your customers. I'm fastly reaching my breaking point and quit playing sto all together. They've had months to sort this TRIBBLE out and sitting on a fix is just totally asinine.

well maybe you should go get in there shoes and do what they have been doing for the past 3 years I bet you could not do a better job
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    well maybe you should go get in there shoes and do what they have been doing for the past 3 years I bet you could not do a better job

couldn't pay me enough to work for that company. id be hella embarrassed to put my name on anything they've released. My patience for craptic is gone. You wanna rub their bellies and tell them how wonderful they're doing, go for it. mean while, ima join the rest of the people in the real world and not ignore the blatantly obvious things staring me in the face every time I log in. Work it must, shine it may.
  • Options
    raslodanraslodan Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    seeing a restart like this isn't completely bad given the expansion was just over a week ago now, and there is at least one MMO that is out there that does a daily restart, that game being EVE, so this shouldn't be seen as that bad of a situation, just wish they would fix the daily borg events bug that won't let you complete them, it's frustrating, i've got 2 zones on my romulan that i can't complete and have been sitting there for a few days now.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    couldn't pay me enough to work for that company. id be hella embarrassed to put my name on anything they've released. My patience for craptic is gone. You wanna rub their bellies and tell them how wonderful they're doing, go for it. mean while, ima join the rest of the people in the real world and not ignore the blatantly obvious things staring me in the face every time I log in. Work it must, shine it may.

Did you just use the term "hella" and expect us to take you seriously?

Think again, sir.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well I should be asleep at this point, so rock on :D

You selfish b-stard. :P
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    topset wrote: »
    Did you just use the term "hella" and expect us to take you seriously?

Think again, sir.

lolz that the best you can do? come on, you can troll harder than that. I just know it.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was worried for a minute there, that there wouldn't be another restart/maintenance of some sort. Maybe there's a Fantome in engineering at Cryptic.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi Captains,

NOTE: As this is just a restart, there is no patch.

yeah I'll be patient and understanding and all but.....this will stop at some point right?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    charlemangydogcharlemangydog Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You OWN an I.T. company? That's so cool, what's the name of your company? Do you have a website? I would loooove to visit it, it must be a thing of sublime grace and wondrous beauty.
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You should get an Oscar.

Best Actor in a Forum Drama.
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Oh hreally? Sounds like me. I am the chief system administrator and run the entire IT department for my company as well . . .

. . . oh wait . . . it's a small non-profit with only a few servers that I built for them myself and run for them on a volunteer basis. But hey! My title SOUNDS awesome so that means I am entitled, right? Wrong.

Having worked around servers, farms and systems for most of my life it bugs the daylights out of me when someone in the same industry can be so ignorant. Yeah - so you can brag that you run an IT department - most likely in a stuffy corporate atmosphere somewhere where your main tragedy of the day is someone's AD account glitched and you have to straighten them out - or one of the lazy higher-ups who do not want to come IN to work start riding your back to get their VPN working without a snag even though you had the security set up to block such measures . . . etc . . . etc . . . infinity.

Do not claim to know what the heck is going on in a gaming server environment just because you play with a server yourself. This is a completely different world. People's financials and corporate information is not at stake here . . . the only thing at stake is a few gaming hours.

Bear in mind, I do still feel for the players here, and I am on their side in begging Cryptic to get these stability issues fixed - and SOON I hope - but do not insult those of us who work in similar industries by trying to boast your title and make it sound cooler or more knowledgeable than it really is. If you knew anything at all, it's that once we get any sort of training or certification, it seems like it gets outdated before we even get to work the next Monday.

As you CLEARLY saw in the Ask Cryptic, they had issues. Some of the new hardware they ordered failed. We've ALL had it happen at some point. I have it happen a lot. I order a rig, part or other item and it arrives DOA . . . or it arrives just fine and soon after I deploy it the thing fails. Who looks like the idiot in the employees' eyes when that happens? Me. It doesn't matter to them that the maker of the part made it faulty. What matters is that I gave it to them and it broke, which makes me look in their eyes like an idiot.

Yet here you are, claiming you are supposedly in IT, yet slapping down what you clearly read in the articles and such about what may or may not be happening behind the scenes.

Do I want Cryptic to fix these issues? Yes. Will I try to look high and mighty like I am the expert when I haven;t even stepped foot in any of their facilities or know at all how they have things set up or what technology they are using? No.

Get off the game and go back to babysitting Active Directory for folks LOL.
    IT is TOTALLY different from game codes so don't even go there and say they are incompetent there is no comparing the two.

He knows that. He just wants to hope none of us know that so he can try to look cool.

Now . . . on to the topic at hand . . . Cryptic, will you be releasing these fixes on Tribble for folks to test/feedback before it hits Holo? I know a lot of us out here would gladly try to lend a hand and provide feedback to make sure the main player base gets no rude surprises as a result.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    YOUR DOING THIS AT MIDNIGHT????!!!!!! WTF CRYPTIC THAT'S MY........no wait nevermind it's not. :D

Sorry it had to be done.

Seriously thou I like the restarts, if they could eventually cut them down to 30 mins I think they should keep doing them everyday. NO I'm not being sarcastic. A simply restart does absolutely nothing but help keep the system running at peak. Who hasn't hit the Tuesday/Wednesday lag that is inevitable and wished it was Thursday already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh hreally? Sounds like me. I am the chief system administrator and run the entire IT department for my company as well . . .

. . . oh wait . . . it's a small non-profit with only a few servers that I built for them myself and run for them on a volunteer basis. But hey! My title SOUNDS awesome so that means I am entitled, right? Wrong... <much snippage of awesomness>

You sir, are my new hero.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    xpandarenx007xpandarenx007 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    raslodan wrote: »
    seeing a restart like this isn't completely bad given the expansion was just over a week ago now, and there is at least one MMO that is out there that does a daily restart, that game being EVE, so this shouldn't be seen as that bad of a situation, just wish they would fix the daily borg events bug that won't let you complete them, it's frustrating, i've got 2 zones on my romulan that i can't complete and have been sitting there for a few days now.

yes, but eve's restarts only take 30 minutes, so over 10 days that would make for 5 hours of server downtime. LoR has been live for 10 days now and has way more than that. In fact STO has 5 hours of downtime from today and yesterday (may 30, 31).

Now, I know that the dev team would not pull their servers down daily for no reason, because it hurts their company quite a bit, bit i feel that more detailed explanations beyond "server stability updates" would make the whole community feel more confident in all of the hard work you guys are putting in.
  • Options
    naval10naval10 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Another daily maintenance. Get use to it guys.
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the question is are these restarts etc doing anything other than bugging some players ? , are they improving things or just cryptic trying to find out what's wrong with the servers/game ? . no skin off of my nose as I will still be in bed anyways lol
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They have to restart the servers due to the memory leaks caused by bad coding. Just like the computer you play sto on, if it runs out of memory it slow's down to a crawl.
    This is the lag that is experienced, and if they did not do these restarts, the game would just crash and it could lose data.

Lag can also be caused by their network not being able to cope with so many connections, but that is another matter.

To be honest, it could be a bit of both scenarios....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    They have to restart the servers due to the memory leaks caused by bad coding. Just like the computer you play sto on, if it runs out of memory it slow's down to a crawl.
    This is the lag that is experienced, and if they did not do these restarts, the game would just crash and it could lose data.

Lag can also be caused by their network not being able to cope with so many connections, but that is another matter.

To be honest, it could be a bit of both scenarios....

you may be correct :) , I just hope they get it sorted asap
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    ototo999ototo999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The daily "surprise", like allways. The funny part is that the title "Survivor of Romulus" gonna have a ton of means in the end ;)

i completely agreee. The Devs arent, at all, incompetent, or at least they dont show at all, just look at the game, incompetent people cant do a thing like that. But the management they do in this "server-going-down-crisis" is horrible. They practically enraged every possible player and made a good amount quit (there is no longer a single queu to login, not even in weekends).
  • Options
    kirstieinkirstiein Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *sarcastic* HOW DARE YOU BRING DOWN THE SHARD DURING AUSTRALIA'S PRIME TIME! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE GEEZ!!! DONT YOU KNOW I AM THE QUEEN OF THE WORLD AND I MUST PLAY THIS GAME WHEN I SAY GEEZ!!!

On a serious note keep up the good work guys, as a developer of a private server I know how hard and frustrating it can be to isolate and then fix an issue. And I know yalls are working hard trying to do this.

Thank you Bran for taking the gruff of everyone as well. You are amazing! *gives Bran a much needed hug* :)
    Helping people is my passion in life. If I see someone without a smile I try to give them mine. :)
This discussion has been closed.