test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patcher Error

cryptic launcher autoupdate says it tried to connect 1 times and a box pops up saying a file was locked that could not be opened for writing? bin getting this all day after patch downloaded i guess anyone else have this problem?
Post edited by jakal122481 on

Comments

• Options
    jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    btw im on steam. does anyone know whats causing this or what?
  • Options
    erstarkerstark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a similar problem

Whenever it should start patching, the Launcher stops responding, closes down and the Cryptic Report pops up
  • Options
    diswiz23diswiz23 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i also am having that now since the "new" patch fix
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    still no luck this sucks same patcher error
  • Options
    lcroregonlcroregon Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Getting this error in the launcher status window and then retries over and over.
    error code 36: dbghelp.dll cannot write to file, file is locked and cannot be written to.
    I am also on Steam. Tried loading directly from gameclient.exe and halfway through Cryptic Load screen the game crashes to desktop.
    This started just after the emergency patch.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here with the patch crash, ever since the new Romulan expansion came out today; patching worked fine beforehand, this morning. We can't play if we can't log-in, can't log-in if we can't patch. You'd think that something so basic, like patching and log-in issues, would have been tested prior to launch. I mean, wasn't the big announcement made back in February or March? And no one checked it since then?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    im having this error in steam when i click the the play button the little white box pops up that says it tried to connect then another box pops up saying something was licked to write to so i don't even get to the games launcher PERIOD
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Jakal122481, that sounds similar to the white Cryptic Error Ticket that I've been experiencing upon crashing (while attempting to patch). The good news is shard maintenance is scheduled at 0700-0900 UTC (12:00AM-2:00AM PST) that might (or might not) fix this problem. Cross your fingers....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ok i just wanted to make sure we were still talkin about the same error (crossing fingers) hope this is fixed in the morning
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cryptic launcher autoupdate says it tried to connect 1 times and a box pops up saying a file was locked that could not be opened for writing? bin getting this all day after patch downloaded i guess anyone else have this problem?

I'm getting this and haven't updated yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Still getting this this morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    so its 7:49 AM 5/22/2013 and i click play in steam and the autoupdater went through this time and i got the launcher and it started patching pretty quickly and just as i was getting excited the launcher says

1st message...Mirror 1:dbghelp.dll then immediately goes to

2end message...ERROR 36: a file was locked that could not be opened for writing. restarting in 5 seconds

and it goes on and on in a loop continuously until i close it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's now 24 hours since I've been unable to log-in. After two maintenance periods yesterday, the STO launcher still crashes when it tries to patch! This is a fundamental function that worked fine until the Romulan expansion was added. Seriously, with all the server problems (that have been getting worse) plus some graphics slow-downs that have made some STF missions so dysfunctional that I can't play them, and now this effective lock-out, how do you guys expect us to pay hundreds of dollars for a Romulan expansion when we can't even log-in? I'm a gold member who has made repeated Zen purchases. And now I (and many others) can't even play because of a patch issue? Shouldn't basic functions have been tested prior to yesterday's Romulan launch? Guys, here's a hint: no ability to log-in equals no ability/desire to make future Zen purchases. You are now losing real money. (Shaking my head in disbelief and major frustration.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's now 24 hours since I've been unable to log-in. After two maintenance periods yesterday, the STO launcher still crashes when it tries to patch! This is a fundamental function that worked fine until the Romulan expansion was added. Seriously, with all the server problems (that have been getting worse) plus some graphics slow-downs that have made some STF missions so dysfunctional that I can't play them, and now this effective lock-out, how do you guys expect us to pay hundreds of dollars for a Romulan expansion when we can't even log-in? I'm a gold member who has made repeated Zen purchases. And now I (and many others) can't even play because of a patch issue? Shouldn't basic functions have been tested prior to yesterday's Romulan launch? Guys, here's a hint: no ability to log-in equals no ability/desire to make future Zen purchases. You are now losing real money. (Shaking my head in disbelief and major frustration.)

agree 120% ive only spent 30 bucks if that on this game and its times like this that leave a sour taste in my mouth. and now were missing out on content from what i read is called the first contact missions so now what cryptic should i be looking for a new MMO to call home? or what? i don't think ive ever experienced this much with one game ever
  • Options
    newbie3newbie3 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ditto on the "A file was locked..." error. After hunting through, the patcher is trying to update "Star Trek Online.exe" which is also the patch application. Since it's open, it can't update but it needs to update in order to access the patch. Gotta love that cyclic dependency logic. PerfectWorld has been having a lot of issues lately so I'm just gonna assume this is on the "medium" priority list since it seems to be limited to those going through Steam. Not sure I wanna bother grabbing the direct install given the issues. We'll just need to wait and see if they get around to "fixing" this by the end of the week.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the patcher crashed after the "so called" launcher-update again, and again there is a new version number, this time unannounced though. Now we're at ST30.15, a few hours ago it was ST30.14 ... patch notes please? What did you do? Revert the launcher to it's previous state? Nothing has improved with the launcher, so I guess I have to wait for yet another launcher update. But maybe I will just uninstall all the files I managed to patch until the crash and leave this game alone for good. I have enough money to not care anymore about the Legacy pack I bought and can't play. I will however, and that's for sure, never again buy any Zen from the store, nor any special stuff such as the Legacy pack. You will lose approx. 500 dollars in this year and another 1000 dollars next year, and that's just from me. And I played since open beta back in December 2009.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    heres a video i recorded of what im experiencing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdqYc2hBqck

EDIT: sorry its kinda blurry
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Jakal, I watched your video on youtube. I'm not getting even that far, crashing before any error or mirror message activates. But I bet we're having the same problem because, when I tried to contact the Cryptic support center, I'm getting error messages of a similar nature. "The page isn't redirecting properly" & "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." Thanks for the video!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    um i think the more important issue is that people cant even play period instead of getting stuck on a stupid loading screen. im trying to be as patient as possible but im not feelin the love at all from this company:eek:
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been two days for me and I can't log in. It doesn't matter if I use the launcher or the game client, I can't log in at all.

If I use the launcher it crashes. If I use the game client, it'll get me to the sing in screen, then I'll receive a messages that states "Connection to the account server has timed out". On the other forum posts people complain of waiting in the queue. Lucy them, I can't even get that far.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I'm starting to not want to spend any more of my hard earned money on this game if issues like this keep occurring, not to mention I was seriously considering becoming a gold member or a lifetime subscription. But again, even the lifetime subscription players are stuck in a 15-30 minute queue (those guys/gals are really pissed. I can't blame them considering the $300+ they've spent on this game).
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ataloss, several of us are also having the same problem that you are experiencing, locked-out because the patch launcher crashes every time. Since none of us have come up with a solution, it looks like it's up to the game developers to figure out what they changed and change it back. For what it's worth, I'm a gold member with the same problem.

Jakal, I'm not feelin' the love from Cryptic/STO, either. Especially when they claim this is one of the "***Resolved Issues***" when clearly it is not. That false claim is transitioning me from frustration to anger; my wallet doesn't like anger issues. (wink)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yea i agree with you 120% i kinda feel bad for the ones that are gold members and spend money on a weekly basis religiously on this game and things always happen like this. im glad i only spent 30 bucks because i know all to well about companies like this
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Let's not be obnoxious, nor speak out of ignorance.

I mean, seriously, this kind of thing is asinine:
    "Do you guys even test?"

Of course they test. That does not mean that everything is going to be found during the testing phase, in part because we all have different machines with different hardware, etc.

Threats of ZEN boycott aren't going to speed things up, either (and yes, I have spent a considerable amount of money on the game myself, and I'm still locked out too).

It has been a little over 24 hours since the new content went live. Give them a chance to find the issues, investigate the causes, and work on fixes (then test those fixes and then get them ready to patch in).

It's not the drive through window at your local fast food joint.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    heres a video i recorded of what im experiencing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdqYc2hBqck

EDIT: sorry its kinda blurry

I'm not getting that far. In my case, the little white window in the upper left opens when I double click the client icon. It counts down the total of how much is remaining and gets to 1 or 0 (not sure, as it happens very quickly). Then it says: "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tried 1 time." and another window opens in the middle of the screen that says: "A file was locked that could not be open for writing." On the bottom right of this second window is a button that says "OK" and clicking that results in both windows closing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Protogoth, speaking of "asinine" and let's not "speak out of ignorance": it's not a Zen boycott if the PLAYERS CAN'T LOG-IN! Who in their right mind spends money on a game to which they are locked-out? And please spare us the pep-speech about unforeseen bugs; we're not talking about new game content here, we're talking about problems with EXISTING patching, log-ins, and server stability -- all issues that every internet corporation has in common -- and this problem should never be an issue at launch date. So no, I don't see how testing would have missed such a basic, existing function. Somebody changed something. Change it back. How hard can that be on existing code?

Sorry if my writing comes off belligerent. I'm extremely frustrated. We're into the second day after the expansion and STO claims the issue is resolved, yet we're still locked-out. And once the patch problem truly is fixed, we have the joy of experiencing all the other bugs you guys are currently enjoying...not cool.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We're into the second day after the expansion and STO claims the issue is resolved, yet we're still locked-out.

From the top of the page, a statement that has been there since sometime yesterday:
    > > > Hi Captains! The team is investigating an issue where some players may be stuck on a loading screen. Thanks for your patience! < < <

Doesn't look to me like they're claiming it has been resolved.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    protogoth don't try to justify this ,case and point Allods just released a new expansion recently ,today i patched it and went right into game with out a hitch so tell me how that happens? and im still having the same issue with STO and don't see a fix listed for it in the top of this forum page but they have everything else listed under the sun

EDIT: also id like to add do you really think they will give us some kind of compensation? nope i doubt it.. but i know for a fact Blizzard Entertainment would do just that even if its something so stupid like a ingame pet or whatever that just tell us the customer and person that play there games there sorry and they want us to keep playing there game. to bad companies like cryptic cant learn from this
  • Options
    newbie3newbie3 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tried the patcher from the first posting on this thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501

and overwrote the Steam game launcher at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online" with it and it's at least patching for me now. Slowly, but still better than nothing. Will let you know if I make it to the server queue or not in a minute. It's at least more progress than I've had for the last two days so maybe it'll help someone else.

Additional Instructions:

Delete the following before running the downloaded patcher:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/D3DCompiler_42.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/GameClient.exe
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/NxCooking.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXCore.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXLoader.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/avcodec-54.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/avformat-54.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/avutil-51.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/binkw32.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_42.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/dbghelp.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/icudt.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/libcef.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/libsndfile-1.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/nvtt.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/ortp.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/physxcudart_20.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/steam_api.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/vivoxoal.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/vivoxsdk.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput9_1_0.dll

You should now be able to patch correctly and update all files. At least this worked for me as I was into the game as soon as I finished deleting the last file (had to delete a file, reload ERRORS.log, delete the next).

Hopefully, this'll help my fellow steamers :)

Clarification: This will probably only help those that get the "Error 36 A file was locked that could not be open for writing" error
  • Options
    chaytonnafeelchaytonnafeel Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, i am getting an Error 31, stating a Hog has returned an error while trying to read.

Now my Computer froze up during the patching progress, so my guess is that while freezing i got a bad file which now blocks the patching progress. Any idea where i could delete the file or order responsible for patching, so the launcher starts updating from the beginning?
    Or do i need to delete and reinstall Star Trek Online completely?

Thanks for your help guys!

PS:
    Deleting those files mentioned above, did not work.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    newbie32 wrote: »
    Tried the patcher from the first posting on this thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501

and overwrote the Steam game launcher at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online" with it and it's at least patching for me now. Slowly, but still better than nothing. Will let you know if I make it to the server queue or not in a minute. It's at least more progress than I've had for the last two days so maybe it'll help someone else.

Additional Instructions:

Delete the following before running the downloaded patcher:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/D3DCompiler_42.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/GameClient.exe
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/NxCooking.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXCore.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXLoader.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/avcodec-54.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/avformat-54.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/avutil-51.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/binkw32.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_42.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/dbghelp.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/icudt.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/libcef.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/libsndfile-1.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/nvtt.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/ortp.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/physxcudart_20.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/steam_api.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/vivoxoal.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/vivoxsdk.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput9_1_0.dll

You should now be able to patch correctly and update all files. At least this worked for me as I was into the game as soon as I finished deleting the last file (had to delete a file, reload ERRORS.log, delete the next).

Hopefully, this'll help my fellow steamers :)

i wanna try this but dont understand what you mean by reloading the error.log can you clearify on this?