test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reputation system is a time gate for new toons

dilbartdilbart Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Reputation System
Stupid system creates an uneven playing field.

Please disable it in PvP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by dilbart on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you elaborate a little?

Cause right now, it seems mostly like "I can't seem to level my rep fast enough, so I want it gone"-post.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think he means that he would like to be able to start the rep system at lvl 1 instead of lvl 50.

Of course the main problem behind this is that all the pve's that reward rep marks are restricted to high level players. If they lowered the level cap on those it would create a massive backlash of people who don't want their pugs bogged down by rookies. On the flipside places such as Defera Invasion Zone could serve as an alternate means of aquiring these marks at low levels.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That already happens with fleet alerts...I've been in a pug with 4 tier 1 ships before.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you can't survive in PVP without the reputation bonus, you are not going to survive with them.

I know people in my fleet who PVP and do quite well with reputation systems somewhere around tier 2.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmmm normally im not someone who believes gear makes the player in pvp, but in this game there is a huge disparity between a tricked out fleet ship with mk12 ultra rares and rep gear/bonuses, and the out of the box ship you get while leveling + mission reward purples or blues (jem hadar set, etc)

I do see the point of toning this down one way or another, skill really will only take you so far when youre outgunned, out turned, and out powered in every aspect. The PvP at anything under level 50 is fine. Once you hit 50 and get into those queues, you are absolutely screwed until youve spent literal months obtaining the "uber lootz" just to be competitive.

Each individual buff alone may not seem like much, but when you factor five omega buffs, five romulan buffs, god knows how many accolade buffs, buffs from gear 2 tiers above nominal (mk x) and you see where this goes. DPS alone is almost 30 percent higher from white/green mk X to Purple/Fleet MkXII.

Im starting to feel the PvP in this game is a bit more about what stuff you have than your piloting skills (or ground combat skills). I mean that too. That is never good either.

A brand new level 50 player (no matter how good they may be at the combat itself) simply has no chance in hell of beating an equally skilled veteran just based on their gear+buffs.

PvP should never be affected in this extreme by "stuff"
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    If you can't survive in PVP without the reputation bonus, you are not going to survive with them.

I know people in my fleet who PVP and do quite well with reputation systems somewhere around tier 2.

this

also in PVE:
    i won the CE 1st place several times with toons without a point in reputation.
  • azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, STO's pvp model is decidedly sub-par, imho. Most casual players quickly learn that STO pvp requires a min/max build with both premium and reputation pieces. Any player claiming otherwise is likely full of denebian slime, or is a dilettante with a Fleet team that does practice premium min/max templates.

If a player has a strong pvp fleet team then they might get by with mostly ots (off the shelf) parts, but, all else being equal, the properly equipped team will normally win in STO pvp.

I used to pvp a great deal in STO's early days, before it became a min/max game. I won't even bother with pvp now. I will never sink the required cash and dilithium grind hours in to this game for its unsatisfying pvp. I am quite happy with the PvE content and I encourage PWE/Cryptic to produce more pve content, through my targeted purchases and community feedback.

I too wish they would disable all premium and rep content for pvp. It would force players to use skill instead of equipment and gimmick. Then again, STO would lose a lot of revenue I imagine if players didn't have to buy premium ships and boxes for pvp template equipment. Also, the Reputation system is our de-facto post-50 advancement system and, thus, the "powers" it grants are intended to be used in all aspects of our characters' game play, including pvp.
  • vikingbloodedvikingblooded Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It takes all of 35 total days (in 24 hour blocks) to get your rep to 5. That is for Romulan, Omega AND the new Nukara. I've done it on 6 characters so far and it really only takes 1 or 2 stfs, a few tau dewa sector patrols and a few nukara missions to get it kicked off on each character. The tau dewa patrols you would only run until you have your first elder epohh.

We're not talking about all day grinds for 1 character to get enough marks to start a project. It's all of half an hour if that long.

As for rep bonuses in PVP, well, people that have been playing longer should absolutely have a leg up on people that just started. It makes sense. As it is, a new guy can create a character, level to 50 in a few days and spend real money to buy all the zen ships, consoles and dili they need to have nearly, if not completely identical sets to everyone else. The only things they are missing are reputation items and that's because they haven't earned the reputation yet.

Oh, let's not forget that, when you are PVPing/PVEing, only certain rep traits even kick in. Your rep traits, of which there are 2 in each Omega and Romulan, are specific to a map type. So it's not like a person with tier 5 rep has 19 rep traits to help him.

This really just sounds like someone whining about not wanting to put in any effort into actually making his characters worth a damn.
    RLTW