test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request to Lower Shield Resistance Cap

freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
edited May 2013 in PvP Gameplay
I think that the shield resistance cap is way too high at the moment.

As proof, in PVP a shield buffed target is nearly invincible. I think that every one realizes this, but could be wrong.

The high shield resistance cap + defense bonuses make for some unstoppable targets.

Whereas a target with only self buffs, is popcorn.

The high shield resistance creates a situation where only a Sub Nuc can assist in taking the target down. (Debuffs from a tac will not be sufficient, even with a disruptor proc, because those debuffs only increase total damage or debuff the hull resistances of a target -which is ignored by a % by high shield resists-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013

As proof, in PVP a shield buffed target is nearly invincible. I think that every one realizes this, but could be wrong.

The high shield resistance cap + defense bonuses make for some unstoppable targets.

The high shield resistance creates a situation where only a Sub Nuc can assist in taking the target down. (Debuffs from a tac will not be sufficient, even with a disruptor proc, because those debuffs only increase total damage or debuff the hull resistances of a target -which is ignored by a % by high shield resists-)

Switch targets. Not everyone on their team can have the ally-assisted resistances up at once.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Switching targets is also an option, but the only option to take down a buffed target is a sub nuc.

I would prefer a gameplay style without zombies.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Invincibility:

High Defense (avoidance = 100% mitigation)
    High Shield Damage Reduction
    High Hull Damage Resistance
    More than sufficient shield healing
    More than sufficient hull healing
    Various debuffs on attackers
    Maneuverability

Analogy:

In front of you, there is a wall. In that wall, there is a door. Do you try to walk through the wall or do you open the door and walk through that?
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The resist cap itself isn't the issue. The items and such that allow you to reach it so easily are.

Elite fleet shields can, without even trying let you get 20-35% depending on what you are getting shot with. Add in a decent EPTS 1, and that jumps to about 40-50% or so. Add in a good Extends, and anyone can run around with maximum resist.

Add in all the proc heals you can easily get from rep and Embassy consoles, and you can see why it's a tad extreme sometimes.

So what might be good is to make it more difficult to reach the cap, or otherwise adjust the items that are causing the issue. Heck, both would be an even better idea.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Switching targets is also an option, but the only option to take down a buffed target is a sub nuc.

I would prefer a gameplay style without zombies.

That sounds about right to me. I don't really see it as a problem. You're saying you should be able to kill a target (without subnuc) if everyone on the other team is healing and throwing resists to that target? So your offense should be able to beat the combined defensive powers of an entire team? Now that doesn't sound right. You either subnuc or switch targets. At that point, a good target for your alhpa strike would probably be the primary healer that is throwing out all these heals/resists to his allies as he won't have many left for himself, and then when he goes down you could probably take out another one or two players before he gets back into the match.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    skurf wrote: »
    That sounds about right to me. I don't really see it as a problem. You're saying you should be able to kill a target (without subnuc) if everyone on the other team is healing and throwing resists to that target? So your offense should be able to beat the combined defensive powers of an entire team? Now that doesn't sound right. You either subnuc or switch targets. At that point, a good target for your alhpa strike would probably be the primary healer that is throwing out all these heals/resists to his allies as he won't have many left for himself, and then when he goes down you could probably take out another one or two players before he gets back into the match.

I'm saying that when every one on a team is shooting at a target, it should lose shields/hull, not gain. It's wonky as it stands. I don't remember anything canon where every ship is firing on one target and the target takes it to the chin and comes out healthier than before being engaged.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    The resist cap itself isn't the issue. The items and such that allow you to reach it so easily are.

Elite fleet shields can, without even trying let you get 20-35% depending on what you are getting shot with. Add in a decent EPTS 1, and that jumps to about 40-50% or so. Add in a good Extends, and anyone can run around with maximum resist.

Add in all the proc heals you can easily get from rep and Embassy consoles, and you can see why it's a tad extreme sometimes.

So what might be good is to make it more difficult to reach the cap, or otherwise adjust the items that are causing the issue. Heck, both would be an even better idea.

Good suggestion. Shield healing/resist are definitely a problem imo.
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

How is this going to help if ppl are already complaining about DHC's, High spike, Wing cannon overload, Beam overloads, de-Cloak ambushes, OP trannies/clusters, etc?

One day the resist/heals is too much, other day the damage in this game is too high. lol
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One day the resist/heals is too much, other day the damage in this game is too high. lol

Some people can't attack.
    Some people can't defend.

So we see both complaints at the same time.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the cap isnt really the porblem. EPtS's bonus to shield res should be cut in half, and the resA/B mod on fleet shields be removed from the game.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the cap isnt really the porblem. EPtS's bonus to shield res should be cut in half, and the resA/B mod on fleet shields be removed from the game.

That would be a good logical first step.

Second step... can't remove the embassy consoles and rep junk I hear cause people would flip... but you could just fire the moron that put them in game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be a good logical first step.

Second step... can't remove the embassy consoles and rep junk I hear cause people would flip... but you could just fire the moron that put them in game.

You mean the moron that plays it smart and knows that if you go for ResA shields you also find yourself in situations that actually need the ResB shieldS? Oh yeah double up the money baby!!!! Someone will pay for the zen.

PWE's Orders.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    istvaanshogaatsuistvaanshogaatsu Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Current shield HP capacity should govern that shield facing's resistance. A shield that's fully charged shouldn't have the same resist profile as a shield that's being beaten down.

Full HP? Full resist bonus.
    Half HP? Resist bonus halved.
    10% shield remaining? 10% of total resist remaining.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In a few cases even a self buffed only target can be near impossible to kill for example:

I built an eng/assault cruiser/healboat with Mk XII MACO set, power levels are 25/75/25/75 then add EPtS1, EPtA1, Aux2SIF1&2, ES2&3, AP: D1, HE1, TSS2 and 2xTT1, I took it into an FvK arena on one occasion and when they finally decided to shoot at me I took 5 Klingon ships (at least 2 tacs) two subnukes, more warp plasma than would fit on my screen and over 5 minutes under said conditions to kill.

All that self buffed... I dread to think what would have happened if I used my elite fleet shields...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    uhmariuhmari Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Both Pve and PvP Resistance Rates are broken,

80 % of the time they are either to high or to low.
    Very few mobs are balanced to their level appropriate

another major problem is the starter weapons do not compete with the later weapons

for example, Phasers are just not as good as anti-proton beams, and most
    resistances to phasers is higher.

All Resistances should get a mechanical cap at 30%.

Second

A lot of skills are broken when it comes to pvp, Like rapid fire spam.

We need to mechanic change the rapid fire to being a passive

- 1 second cool Down. or Something like this mechanic, so that
    it gives less burst, but more dps.

Then we need to buff the damage on cannons, and give them
    more impact value then beams (much more).

For example, We need to make Impact on a Captain value something like

200 Dps, 300 Impact on Cannon
    300 Dps, 200 Impact on Beam

(the numbers are just conceptual)

It should work out that cannons shoot in a similar way that the defiant,
    or the current disruptors do.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm saying that when every one on a team is shooting at a target, it should lose shields/hull, not gain. It's wonky as it stands. I don't remember anything canon where every ship is firing on one target and the target takes it to the chin and comes out healthier than before being engaged.

lol canon.

This game is so far out of canon that it's a joke.

If this game's developers cared about canon the Galaxy wouldn't be the ****ing joke it is now.

skurf's points stand. Learn to choose targets and get a team to help you kill that target. And in a proper composition as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]