test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Low Resolution Blurry Graphics

brodie0854brodie0854 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hello,

Whenever i load to a new area, both ground and space the textures are all incredibly low res, almost as if i have the graphical settings set extremely low even though I have them all maxed out.
I have found a highly annoying workaround to get the graphics back to the way they should be, if i go into the graphic settings menu and tick and then untick the Half Resolution tickbox the graphics suddenly become high res again and remains so until i load to another area where i have to repeat the process.

I have tried adjusting the settings in the Troubleshooting section, namely the Direct X version but nothing makes a difference.

A bit of info about my system:

• MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V Intel.
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).
  • RAM: Patriot Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) Viper Xtreme Series PC3-15000 1866MHz CL9 Division 2 Edition.
  • GPU: 2x Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon 7970 HD 1GHz 6GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Vapor-X.
  • SSD: OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive.
  • HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive.
  • Monitors: 3x Acer S240HLbid 24'' Full HD widescreen LCD monitor with LED Backlight.
  • Game Resolution: 5896 x 1080.

* All drivers and system updates are current (and i've even re-installed the GPU drivers to be safe)
** The two GPU's are Crossfired
*** I've tried the game with only one of the GPU's running so eliminate Crossfired GPU issues.

I've been playing other games across my 3 monitors using Eyefinity with no issues for some time now (eg LOTRO runs and displays perfectly maxed out). My system's specs are more than powerful enough, and once i've performed the above mentioned work around the game displays and runs perfectly fine until i load to a new area.

I posted a reply to an archived (necro'd) thread on this forum, but i thought i'd be better creating a brand new one.

Please help me.
Post edited by brodie0854 on

Comments

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This normally happens to me after doing an Alt-Enter to move from full screen to windowed. Clicking the maximise button instead of alt-enter to return is normally useful to try and avoid this happening.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • brodie0854brodie0854 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    This normally happens to me after doing an Alt-Enter to move from full screen to windowed. Clicking the maximise button instead of alt-enter to return is normally useful to try and avoid this happening.

Hey :D

Thanks for the reply, this thing happens even if i dont Alt-Enter, i can be sat Earth Spacedock with a beautifully crisp image and smooth image across all 3 monitors and without leaving the screen i'll beam up to my ship (space or bridge) and it will be all low res and blurry again.

This is different that the block pixelated mess that is described in the Sticky on the top of this forum. As soon as the game servers are back up i'll snap some screenies.
    edited May 2013
    As promised here are a few examples, in each i have taken a picture both before (low res) and after i have performed the tick/untick half res workaround described above.
    (a) = Low Res (b) = Post Workaround

Example 1:
    • a 70306602.jpg
    • b 80948170.jpg

Example 2:
    • a 61908934.jpg
    • b 71473769.jpg

Example 3:
    • a 88833283.jpg
    • b 14317923.jpg

Example 4:
    • a 27256890.jpg
    • b 47509008.jpg

Example 5:
    • a 19258590.jpg
    • b 94145521.jpg

Example 6:
    • a 94119360.jpg
    • b 50288787.jpg

Obviously you can see the differenced more clearly when you view the screen shots in full screen, i've not resized them so they are all in 5896 x 1080
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Is this on Holodeck, or on Tribble? (or both?)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Holodeck, not tried it on Tribble.
    Patching Tribble now
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oddly enough this has been the case for me, too. For a long time. On both Holodeck and Tribble. It seems really random when I enter, say, ESD to low resolution. Then moments later the images refresh and are crisp. This is without changing instances.

I'm using Windows Vista 64-bit and ATI Radeon 4800 series. Latest drivers installed.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get this too, the backgrounds go from sharp to blurry and back.
    ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series
  • tifertifer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been happening ever since New Romulus launch. The game's eating a ton of video memory for no reason since then and the only way I've found so far to get around this is to force 1GB+ of video memory usage in the Troubleshooting options of the Video section. It's annoying and even with this workaround things keep shifting between low res and high res. Both on tribble and on holodeck. And it's happening on my laptop as well as on my desktop so it's not limited to a single machine or set of drivers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neosaturnneosaturn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anybody else haivng this issue

Seems to be only on faces on tribble
  • sarlix1sarlix1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having the same problem. As of last night nearly everywhere I go has low textures. Everything looks like soup. Not so fun...
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    psiameese wrote: »
    Oddly enough this has been the case for me, too. For a long time. On both Holodeck and Tribble. It seems really random when I enter, say, ESD to low resolution. Then moments later the images refresh and are crisp. This is without changing instances.

I'm using Windows Vista 64-bit and ATI Radeon 4800 series. Latest drivers installed.

I had the same problem with my old 4870x2. I solved it by manually adjusting the available graphics memory in the troubleshooting tab.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This problem has been noticed by some others in other threads. The most common factor is very large VRAM sizes, as in over 2 GB sizes, so it would appear that somehow, somewhere, STO's engine is having an issue properly using large amounts of VRAM.

On smaller cards, the issue is easily fixed by modifying the view distances, but this method is hit or miss on larger cards.

Bump for a fix since I have a pair of new 2gb cards in the mail.... :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • sarlix1sarlix1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I managed to fix the soup by manually adjusting the memory limit in the 'troubleshooting' menu in the video options menu.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for exploring your options guys. I'll send this off to the Graphics team and see if they can figure out why it's going on, and why the memory limits are set the way they are.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -> http://imageshack.us/a/img803/5324/94145521.jpg

wow, those ships to the left look really ...stretched

really, what is it with this odd fish-eye perspective in STO?
    i mean i can see it in 1920x1080 already to some extent but with that resolution in the screenshot, wow that is just brutal.

i'd love a tripple screen setup but i think this would drive me insane :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • moutoku343moutoku343 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a similar issue though it clears up in a few seconds of loading a new map.

my laptop specs are:

i-5 intel core
    8 gb ram
    500gb harddrive
    Intel (R) HD Graphics

it looks alright on my screen:

it might be data issues as information is being processed and sent between our pcs and the servers at the same time while playing sto.
    edited May 2013
    Ignore this
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Changing /videomemorymax to a higher number (>800?) tends to fix this for me.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • turakkataseturakkatase Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Changing /videomemorymax to a higher number (>800?) tends to fix this for me.

Ah, yet another command I need to run every time I launch STO to make it look good. First the fov command to avoid the extreme fish-eye perspective that zerobang pointed out, now a video memory command.

I've been running into this issue ever since I got my new computer and started running STO at resolutions higher then 1920x1200. Good to see I'm not the only issue and that Cryptic will at least look into it.

In case my specs are useful to Cryptic as well, here they are:

MoBo: Asus P9X79 Intel.
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s).
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
    GPU: 2x Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    SSD: Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive.
    Game Resolution: 6036 x 1200.
    edited May 2013
    Ah, yet another command I need to run every time I launch STO to make it look good. First the fov command to avoid the extreme fish-eye perspective that zerobang pointed out, now a video memory command.

I've been running into this issue ever since I got my new computer and started running STO at resolutions higher then 1920x1200. Good to see I'm not the only issue and that Cryptic will at least look into it.

In case my specs are useful to Cryptic as well, here they are:

MoBo: Asus P9X79 Intel.
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s).
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
    GPU: 2x Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    SSD: Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive.
    Game Resolution: 6036 x 1200.

Ooh didnt know about the FOV command, what's the command in full and what resolution would you recommend for my set up? "5896 x 1080".

I'm new to these commands, apart from the FOV one which others would you recommend and in what format do you type them in?

Cheers
  • turakkataseturakkatase Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tend to use /gfxsetdefaultfov 25. You can replace 25 with whatever you want, but I found I like 25 for space. I seem to like it lower then others I've talked to though. Even stuff far away looks big, so it helps give STO the sense of scale I think it is missing, and objects on the side monitors don't stretch to three times their correct length. Makes things look a little weird on the ground though. I believe 55 is default. Here is a topic on the fov (and where I learned this command): http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=244699

As for resolution, mine is 6036 wide with bezel correction. Catalyst Control Center will help you get the width correct for your monitors (since the bezels on yours are probably a different thickness).

I'm wondering if the game has trouble with either multiple cards or large amounts of video RAM. I see a couple posters have mentioned a troubleshooting section in the options. I don't think I've noticed that before, so I'll check that out.
    edited June 2013
    im still getting this issue.
    Ive noticed that the graphics can sometimes switch for high to low res with no warning.
    I can be stood on Earth Space Dock next to the tailor and i can go from high to low to high again without moving or changing a thing in as little as 5 minutes.

This is becoming a serious annoyance.
  • c0sm1cch33s3c0sm1cch33s3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    neosaturn wrote: »
    Anybody else haivng this issue

Seems to be only on faces on tribble

under trouble shooting change the video card to the direct x 9 option.
    currently STO has model data issues that do weird model data that effects the shadow shader data on most of the models in the game.

as for the issue the op has you need to set the memory limit to 1024+ and dont use newest nvidia or ati drivers they are causing havoc on both of my boxes
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This happens to me all the time, too. LOR has been a complete disaster in terms of graphic quality.
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited June 2013
    Im having a similar issue after the latest patch , my graphics sliders have all moved / reset and no matter what i do to change them , the graphics are a terrible , blurry mess

edit : managed to resolve this :) for some reason it had set itself to half resolution
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Since the last patch I have this problem too. And when going in to the tailor when the settings should be raised if that option is checked, the settings are lowered even further. Which makes editing in the tailor a pita.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Taco, any updates on this?
  • flarmblargflarmblarg Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have just warped into the vulcan system when I suddenly noticed that my ship and surrounding ships outer hull went blurry for no reason, the past 30 mins of game play was fine. after messing with the settings I just discovered that "Post processing" was the culprit and once turned off the ship's graphics returned. Bug?
    I7 4770k
    GTX 780 DCU2
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    under display, find the render scale slider, move it all the way to the right then click apply. see if that does anything.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    was wondering if it was just a random occurrence of the textures not loading correctly, just ran a fail no win scenario just now, and all the ships, everyone of them show this blurriness, yet the beams, the fleet shield effect, torpedoes, other sprites like voth photon torp grav wells etc. all show correctly, just not the ship textures themselves. on top of this, in a fight the game started getting cripplingly slow and stuttery in the process.

it was not the only time it has happened either which prompted this post. i run a radeon 7900hd series, 4gb, the latest driver came out a few days ago, i will run that up and see what happens, see if it continues.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.