test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bing Translate Adds Klingon

cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
Props to Microsoft for this and especially for beating Google to it.

Article: Bing Translate Adds Klingon Language @ MightyMega

Bring Translate
<
> <
> <
>
Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
Post edited by cookiecrook on

Comments

• sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Qapla'!

And I note they have the (Kronos) option which translates into the tlhIngan alphabet/script, which is very nice.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Now they need Romulan.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    qaStaHvIS yopwaH Doq QaQ vIghaj.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    "in those days, I have a good Red pants"?

Hehe.... interesting translation, what was it supposed to be?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2013

Ah two problems.

First, Bing Translate's language auto-detect function thinks this is French, and

Second, it thinks Taco is trying to say "in those days, I have a good Orange pants" which I'm pretty sure is not what he meant to say. :D

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited May 2013

naD SoH, quv taco. nuq Data' QaQ.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is fun. I entered "I love my dog. His name is Larry" and translated it into Klingon. Then I copied the result and translated it back into English.

Result: "But the meat of his name, larry."

:D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chon! DaH tlhIngan nuvpu' laH troll! Hu'tegh quvHa', "troll" rap tlhIngan Hoch 'oH tera' HaHa loy.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • lykumlykum Member Posts: 382
    edited May 2013
    I thought the Klingon language wasn't in English characters theyeven have their own written language? That's what I wanted to understand. Pointy ships, and pointy language what more is there to know? Well not entirely pointy...

funny I pictured plastic vampire fangs on a taco supreme lol
    Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
  • blackfiretwbblackfiretwb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just discussed Google doing the same thing at Star Trek Philadelphia between speakers... found out the Klingon Language Camps still exist, too. Way to stay ahead of Google Micro$oft! =)
    Props to Microsoft for this and especially for beating Google to it.

Article: Bing Translate Adds Klingon Language @ MightyMega

Bring Translate
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meh. "A good day to die!" comes back to "What do you want to die!"

Not too impressed.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Bing says : "It is a good Red pants in viga"

:P Reminds me of when Sheldon was learning Mandarin in Big Bang Theory..."Show me your mucus! Show me!"
    server_hamster6.png
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Bing says : "It is a good Red pants in viga"

:P Reminds me of when Sheldon was learning Mandarin in Big Bang Theory..."Show me your mucus! Show me!"

Hmmm? /10char

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited May 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Ah two problems.

First, Bing Translate's language auto-detect function thinks this is French, and

Second, it thinks Taco is trying to say "in those days, I have a good Orange pants" which I'm pretty sure is not what he meant to say. :D

I got that too - then I tried translating the same text from Klingon to the Kronos variant, and THEN into English - I got "I have Red pants was preferable."

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the difference in what is translated and then translated back are due to the Klingon language not having a lot of words and other words having various means based on context. Take one of my ship names for example.

I.K.S. maw' qoH (Crazy Fool)
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013

"I have oranges in my pants."

Clearly, someone needs to make a Klingon->English->Klingon->Etc. version of Translationparty.com
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "I have oranges in my pants."

Clearly, someone needs to make a Klingon->English->Klingon->Etc. version of Translationparty.com

From here on out, I dub thee Tangerine Trousers. :P
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From here on out, I dub thee Tangerine Trousers. :P
    Taco's so dreamy... He's a Tangerine Dream.

Oh, uh, wait... What I meant was ... uh...

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited May 2013
    I think the difference in what is translated and then translated back are due to the Klingon language not having a lot of words and other words having various means based on context. Take one of my ship names for example.

I.K.S. maw' qoH (Crazy Fool)

Also might have something to do with the fact that most Klingon words are either combat-related, curses, or insults. :D

- Anne Bredon
    edited May 2013
    Also might have something to do with the fact that most Klingon words are either combat-related, curses, or insults. :D

Did you know that there is no word for "Goodbye" in Klingon? :P

edited May 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »

Or "Hello" either. The closest thing they have to a greeting is nuqneH - "What do you want?"

- Anne Bredon
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...and now I'm using Translation Party to find out what a few lines from Baby Got Back turns into... apparently my brother lies from his um... nvm.:P

I blame Taco....

In my version of Klingon, goodbye = 'vaj Hegh' or 'die well'

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
    edited May 2013
    Or "Hello" either. The closest thing they have to a greeting is nuqneH - "What do you want?"

Yeah, and they seem to be using it as "Hello!". That's just confusing.

It should be "nuqneH, [Rank]?" instead of "nuqneH, [Rank]!", and so on.

Edit: Translated a randomly selected post from the forums:
    Duj elachi, tlhoS ghaHtaHvIS, chaq mI'ta' chaH oneS romuluSngan, chaq tlhIngan Hubbeq je vaj vaj nuq ngoy' Duj booby tev vISovbe' Qub Duj neSlo' latlh, 'ach.

aS tlhor Duj 'oH, muHIvtaHbogh SpoIlerS, Dor bettIngh nuq qej Sov beta DawI'pu'. 'ej 'e' ghaH tev vIpoSmoHmeH bet. ngevwI' lobi, chaq Duj tIn ra' DoubleDechtlher vo' elachi tlhegh. charrIers law' Hurvo' lobi ngevwI' je Qu' charrIer. vabDot Sajmey SISeD lumaq lach'eghDI' tlhrIghate.

hirogen Duj wej wej untIl 'op latlh unIque Duj, chenmoH chaH jIQochbe' Qav ghenerIch Duj lo' chaH legh,.

• notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DIvI' QIp :D
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sirhenrysirhenry Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DaHjaj 'oH a QaQ jaj ghom 'ej vIbejDI' chu'

its supposed to say "today is a good day to party and play sto"
  • sirhenrysirhenry Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    notapwefan wrote: »
    DIvI' QIp :D

it was both informative and funny.

Added a bit latter: I mistook his sig for a post that was what I was trying to qoute

How to really behave in online forums with developers

http://sto.gamepedia.com/User:Archabaddon