test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(Spoilers welcome!) How's the new tutorials?

amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
I have tons of ancient alts with lots of history to them, and I wanted to know some details (spoiler alert, absolutely) to see if I can be convinced to make a KDF alt... or even a Fed one (not sure if they got a new tutorial).

I heard the new KDF tutorial is really cool, even funny, and wanted details. Believe me, it won't ruin it for me... when I hear about cool stuff I rush out to see it for myself.

So, please, sell me on the idea of stabbing one of my old alts and doing it from scratch! Details please!
Post edited by amalefactor on

Comments

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Romulan tutorial is best, Klingon tutorial is still pretty good. Fed tutorial is probably the weakest of the three now.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Venture down to the Tribble forums and see what others have written so those whom do not wish to know in advance do not have their fun spoiled in the general discussion forums.

I would suggest you try to get on tribble yourself and test them for the best way to see what they are like.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Venture down to the Tribble forums and see what others have written so those whom do not wish to know in advance do not have their fun spoiled in the general discussion forums.

I would suggest you try to get on tribble yourself and test them for the best way to see what they are like.

I am testing on Tribble. But after doing some Romulan stuff I couldn't log back in.

So I'm asking here. :P
  • laro1984laro1984 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The new Tutorials and Missions are great the Bridge Officers usw. also have more Charakter the Story is more personal and more Storydriven then befor ... after playing a lot on tribble yesterday i must say if you play a fed char now you feel a little bit like the unloved faction :D
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Klingon Tutorial is quite nice. It's a little buggy with VOs talking over each other, and your 1st officer gets stuck behind some things when you go planet-side, but the story is very Klingon. Running around Qo'nos is more enjoyable when you're doing it for a real reason other then just to learn things.

I really like the idea that the Boffs have personalities in both the Rom and KDF Tutorials. They're not just attack pets that pew-pew things. They feel "real" now. It's a very pleasant change. It also makes you feel a little guilty when you replace them at a station with some random Boff. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    Romulan tutorial is best, Klingon tutorial is still pretty good. Fed tutorial is probably the weakest of the three now.

Man, oh, man. What I wouldn't give to write a new Fed tutorial based on the Romulan one!

Things they do right:

Nice quiet spaces to explore.

They teach you how to shoot with targets.

The characters are (mostly) voiced.

The characters ramble on with character bits but they're all optional.

There's a sense of travel from location to location. But I love to use of the cutscene to get you back out of the cavern.

The cutscenes are the most cinematic thing we've seen in STO.

Costume changes are part of the tutorial. I like this. You get a bunch of simple costumes at character creation but you get a full uniform and a free costume change halfway through the tutorial. So you don't have to get tied up at character creation before you hit the action. I'd have actually been fine with it if they'd locked uniform until this point. You know, customize your face. Play. Pick a uniform in game after playing a bit.

It's the equivalent of if the Fed tutorial started you off in an Academy uniform or a default one and then, say, unlocked the TNG movie uniform and explained why you could wear custom uniforms as a story point, letting you get deeper into costuming AFTER you've played your character a bit.

You get a bridge officer with a story and personality.

Cool detail: You can't even see New Romulus on your map before it's discovered in story.

Strong use of Hakeev and Sela as strong villains who you feel the urge to fight again later. Hakeev has probably become the strongest villain in STO. I also like that it covers how Hakeev lost his eye.

My favorite thing (and what I think the Feds need): It actually is pretty approachable for a gamer who doesn't know anything about Romulans. It covers the history of Romulans and Vulcans, the history of Romulans, what happened to Hobus, etc. You can go into this as a 21st century player with no Star Trek knowledge and get up to speed inside the tutorial. I wish the Fed tutorial did something like this, introducing the newbie player to Star Trek/Federation history without assuming they know it. For fans, it's a nice reaffirmation. For new fans, it would give you a pretty comprehensive view of the game's setting -- not just as in "This is what happened after TNG!" but as in "World War III decimated earth in the 21st century until a scientist named Zefram Cochrane met the Vulcans, forming the basis of a galactic alliance dedicated to scientific progress and peace."

Imagine a video montage showing First Contact and then outlining Enterprise, TOS exploration, the Khitomer Accord, TNG's Diplomacy, The Dominion War, and the current state of affairs in about 2-3 minutes. That's not unlike what the Romulan tutorial provides.

You can go in not knowing what a Romulan is and walk out feeling like one. I haven't played the Klingon tutorial but it sounds similar. The Federation could use this kind of treatment.

I like the idea of STO, especially as a F2P game, not making assumptions about what people know.

The bad bits:

You can't replay the tutorial. I feel like there should be a way to as awesome as it is. Klingons will want to. Feds will want to if the tutorial ever gets upgraded like this. Mission replay in general needs love.

The story bridge officer(s) you get can't be customized and the first one (which is a nice purple BO) can't be dismissed or customized. I feel like you should be able to do something with him, even if it's as simple as dismissing him and then being able to reclaim him later for the optional stuff he brings.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The story bridge officers can be customized now it was a bug before, but you can't get rid of Tovan, but you can change all their looks, plus they get special parts.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The klingon mission arc of tutorials is excellent (especially if you suffered through the old one more than once)

also can I just say "vicious attack trained combat pet"
    Live long and Prosper
  • ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The federation one looks terrible compared to the other 2 now. Decent premise, just old game tech by comparison.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Romulan tutorial is the gas.
    I have been trying to get into the KDF tutorial for 3 days. No luck. Too much of a queue.
    Fed tutorial is for the birds.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The story for romulan tutorial is:
    You are Pinocchio, a romulan boy, or girl, who always wanted to became a real Vulcan. One day you meet a magical male-fairy named D'tan, who promises to turn you into a real Vulcan if you join his terroristic organization. Thus begin your adventures to become a real Vulcan girl/boy, which involve many treacherous acts against your brothers and sister loyal to the Romulan Star Empire.:D
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • roman1229roman1229 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess they all finally heard us and boosted KDF to the level it always should have been. Romulan? I love that TO DEATH (and honor). I had to sop playing Romulan because I don't want to play the whole story until launch, but there are so many missions for that faction it will take a awhile.

I did hope that FED had gotten am upgrade on their Tutorial. It's the same as launch. But, the others are right...KDF and Romulan are truly the way to go.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried the Fed tutorial and hated it. Especially hated the pop-ups that explain all the controls. There's no option to skip them and I was not amused being forced to close them one by one the whole time. It's long and boring and the short, unrelated tasks felt more like jumping through hoops for Drill Sergeant Nasty than saving a ship from a disaster. I'm glad I still have no intention of creating more toons except the free Romulan slot.

Haven't tried the Klingon tutorial.

The Romulan tutorial is great. Unlike the Fed tutorial, it asks right away if you want to see the control pop-ups (I didn't). It doesn't take quite as long (not having to spend time closing pop-ups helps a lot) and certainly feels like something someone would actually do. Except for the field full of broken pipes, where you call it a day after fixing 3. Although, one might say the irrationality of it prepares the uninformed to the reality of MMO gameplay: There's a universe full of broken pipes out there, and they'll all break again 30 seconds after you fix them, so just fix however many you need for the reward and don't think about it too much. Your ship not being able to do full impulse at first for no reason definitely loses a few points. There's nothing quite as annoying in a game than pointlessly slow movement. All in all, I've done it twice now thanks to the character wipe, and won't mind too much having to do it again on holodeck.

Oh, and speaking of the uniform unlocks...the character creator really should warn players that half the clothing options will only unlock after the tutorial, so they don't spend too much time creating an outfit they may want to replace 15 minutes later.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah man, I have been reading these posts! I am so excited! My wife wants to know whats wrong with me. lol

What's cool for me is after all this comes to holodeck a few days later is my b-day.

I am so glad you can customize your first officer. I was worried about that. I think I am going to erase my ferasian female and start over since every post I have read says the Klingon tutorial is so good.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2013
    kwiat007 wrote: »
    You are Pinocchio, a romulan boy, or girl, who always wanted to became a real Vulcan. One day you meet a magical male-fairy named D'tan, who promises to turn you into a real Vulcan if you join his terroristic organization. Thus begin your adventures to become a real Vulcan girl/boy, which involve many treacherous acts against your brothers and sister loyal to the Romulan Star Empire.:D

LMAO. :D Tyvm I needed that. But seriously ... if only we could play a real Romulan faction backstabing our way to the top of the military or Tal'Shiar. Ah "I have a dream" indeed ... one day we shall overcome oh dear Romulan brothers!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited May 2013
    felixhex wrote: »
    Ah man, I have been reading these posts! I am so excited! My wife wants to know whats wrong with me. lol

What's cool for me is after all this comes to holodeck a few days later is my b-day.

I am so glad you can customize your first officer. I was worried about that. I think I am going to erase my ferasian female and start over since every post I have read says the Klingon tutorial is so good.

If all you want is play the tutorial and other new klingon missions, simply create a new f2p account.
  • sauron90805sauron90805 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    had to stop playing the Romulan content so as to not ruin it for myself later this month. Didn't get a chance to try the Klingon content, but from what I see here I should definately roll me a Klingon...maybe I'll do the Klingon tactical and a science Romulan......
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Its such a heart warming story... *sob, sob* it makes me cry manly tears!:D
  • sauron90805sauron90805 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well....I'd say Cryptic is doing with the Romulans what DS9 did to the Cardassians at the end of their show, totally broken government....removing the strangle hold their military had on their way of life and searching for a new meaning as galactic citizens....
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    KDF Tutorial is awesome.

Spoiler:

You start out as a second officer. You find out that the captain is a coward and a traitor. First officer attempts to challenge him, but fails. It's then up to you to challenge him for command.
    edited May 2013
    Both the KDF and ROM tutorials are brilliant stuff. I really enjoyed the sense of time, place, and importance that comes with the intense storytelling. Voiced companion bridge officers are a major aspect of this and I feel like having fleshed out officers is much more appealing than the blank slate NPCs we've had following us around.

I gave the KDF tutorial a shot yesterday and having previously been turned off by the faction, the renewed attention it was paid has thoroughly won me back. I just may roll a permanent KDF toon now.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rom tutorial just plain rocks out loud. At one point I actually stopped shooting at the bad guys and looked around at the awesome spectacle of it all saying "WOW!!" :eek:

KDF tutorial is great, especially if you happen to be a Klingon. I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't any alternate dialog or decision choices for Gorn/Orion/Lethean etc., but I am nonetheless extremely pleased with the way it turns out, and I love the way the new prequel arc links up beautifully with the current start of the KDF mission chain.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • dragon47dragon47 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Rom tutorial just plain rocks out loud. At one point I actually stopped shooting at the bad guys and looked around at the awesome spectacle of it all saying "WOW!!" :eek:

I've had a number of those moments getting my Romulan to Subcommander. I think the biggest ones so far have been the situations where you get into some of the wildest furball fleet battles I've seen in this game yet. 6-7 Republic ships vs. 10 or so Tal Shiar ships. Have to say, though, until the battle that ends the Centurion rank missions, my system handled them pretty well...but that last one REALLY dragged my system almost to it's knees....but one hell of a lot of fun.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hakeev! hahaha, i like the new Hakeev, more expanded and a delightful nuisance. i always get a preverse delight in seeing him get angry and high tailing every other time, such an arrogant nuisance needs to learn his own place.

i havent had the time to play the kdf side, i doubt i would of either as i was more focused on finding issues in the romulan side.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't replay the tutorial. I feel like there should be a way to as awesome as it is. Klingons will want to. Feds will want to if the tutorial ever gets upgraded like this. Mission replay in general needs love.

The story bridge officer(s) you get can't be customized and the first one (which is a nice purple BO) can't be dismissed or customized. I feel like you should be able to do something with him, even if it's as simple as dismissing him and then being able to reclaim him later for the optional stuff he brings.

Oh no.. I want to be able to replay tutorial.

Also that first planet .. is such a treat in details it feels ashamed you wont be able to return.

Wish the story boff could be at least be customized in looks, name and gender so everyone does not have the same person. Mind you it could be done. Only that you change in stead of a sister lost you have a brother lost etc. The looks should not matter to the story. Surely the in the cutscenes they can grab your boff as they do with your character ingame.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Reunification does not involve abandoning being Romulan, giving up emotions or freedoms, etc. D'Tan flatly states this when you meet him on the Flotilla. Also, just because you are in the Republic does not also make you a reunificationist. You're just mad you don't get to play evil racist murderers.
    Well....I'd say Cryptic is doing with the Romulans what DS9 did to the Cardassians at the end of their show, totally broken government....removing the strangle hold their military had on their way of life and searching for a new meaning as galactic citizens....

This.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
    edited May 2013
    Reunification does not involve abandoning being Romulan, giving up emotions or freedoms, etc. D'Tan flatly states this when you meet him on the Flotilla. Also, just because you are in the Republic does not also make you a reunificationist. You're just mad you don't get to play evil racist murderers.
    If I would like to play "evil racist murderers" then I should be very happy, cause that's what unificationist are.
    They want to destroy Romulan Star Empire, their home state and they have no problems with allying themselves with RSE greatest enemies to achieve that = EVIL
    They think that the vulcan way of live is superior to romulan = racism
    They have no problems with starting a war with the Tholians and stealing the Dewa III from them using the New Axis (Federation + Klingons + romulan republic), because they think that tholians as not a humanoid species have no rights = racism again
    Murdering? Well, there is plenty of killing in this game.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I would like to play "evil racist murderers" then I should be very happy, cause that's what unificationist are.
    They want to destroy Romulan Star Empire, their home state and they have no problems with allying themselves with RSE greatest enemies to achieve that = EVIL
    They think that the vulcan way of live is superior to romulan = racism
    They have no problems with starting a war with the Tholians and stealing the Dewa III from them using the New Axis (Federation + Klingons + romulan republic), because they think that tholians as not a humanoid species have no rights = racism again
    Murdering? Well, there is plenty of killing in this game.

Hobus killed the RSE.....not The Reunification. That was done by the Tal Shiar. I would be happy to serve the true Emperor or even a Praetor and his/her Senate. I will NOT however accept a life under the heels of an oppressive regime that murders dissidents rather than showing them an alternative.

DEATH TO THE TAL SHIAR!!! LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ironically the romulan empire fell into disarray by the same people who were meant to keep the romulan empire safe. if these arrogant romulan commanders didnt have the delusion of grandeur floating through their head, the iconian return would of been a myth, hakeev would of been a no one :P and abramscrapverse would of never existed.

after playing the tutorial out though, seems pretty clear cut from the start, so no nonsense which is good.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh no.. I want to be able to replay tutorial.

Also that first planet .. is such a treat in details it feels ashamed you wont be able to return.

~snip~

Oh, you do return. But, it's like going back to your childhood home, after a major natural disaster. All the buildings are in shambles, the bugs have overrun the place. No one lives there anymore.

But, I agree. It would have been nice having the pre-attack Virinat as a social zone.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada