test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So nobody playing Star Trek 2013 then?

nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
I was hoping to see some topics discussing how people found the game. Particularly, about how transferable some of the game's features might be for our own timesink.

Its not been getting the best reviews (that I've found), and I can agree, the npc AI, linearity and overall occasional glitchyness are negatives, but I really enjoyed seeing how they decided to integrate the use of the tricorder into the gameplay dynamic.

We often just hit F on popups in our game, but considering we have had shootermode style movement and interaction for a long time now, I was hoping to see some broadening of ground content based on that change of pace. It was refreshing to be able to whip out a tricorder, move around my environment, "target" a console or a blood spatter, and interact with it.

In the new game, they have also handled abilities in an interesting way by tying them to the tricorder and weapon. Effectively, they've merged kit powers into tricorder and phaser abilities. I wonder if this will help inspire the STO devs to some degree when considering an eventual redesign of our kit based power system.

There aren't too many Trek games all in all, and none are perfect, but I'm interested to hear from any of you who have decided to play the new title to see what you may have liked or what you found infuriating.

:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've seen quite a few, what are you talking about? :confused:
  • starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I went in with low expectations, I came out satisfied. Granted, the co-op feature not working at launch was a massive blemish, but I enjoyed it for what it was. The sound design and presentation were on point. It genuinely felt like you were playing a movie. As such, the linearity didn't bother me.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game keeps evolving, to keep from getting stale. I look forward to thier upgrade, it will be great to see a new faction in holodeck. Thier final product will be amazing! I even posted videos on youtube showing off some of the new content, not too much as I dont wanna give everything away. But to answer your hail, 'Not Play??" As long as this game is around so will be CatStar =^.^=

Watch the video by that branflakes guy and the pretty lady, they show that STO is stepping up the voice acting and storylines too. :D
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how much is it?
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Watch the video by that branflakes guy and the pretty lady, they show that STO is stepping up the voice acting and storylines too. :D

sillly cat... we're talking about that other star trek game
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    Its not been getting the best reviews (that I've found), and I can agree, the npc AI, linearity and overall occasional glitchyness are negatives, but I really enjoyed seeing how they decided to integrate the use of the tricorder into the gameplay dynamic.
    "Star Trek" 2013 is getting hammered by game critics. I am now worried about the movie.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    "Star Trek" 2013 is getting hammered by game critics. I am now worried about the movie.

I hate to spoil it for you but its just a bad remake of wrath of khan OH OH and guess what kirk is saved by khans magic blood OH OH and kahn is a strange looking brit guys
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how much is it?

$60 - standard console launch price, even shovelware rarely launches for anything different. Expect it to drop fast, though. Probably $30 by fall.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've yet to play it - but it looks like a bad Mass Effect ["Cover shooter"] clone
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked being able to actually walk around the Enterprise's Bridge at my own pace and check out all the consoles. I liked being able to look out the main viewscreen/ window.

I liked being able to walk around the Shuttle Bay at my own pace and check out everything there. When you are there it feels like you are in the movie.

In the space battles, the Enterprise responds with ALL weapons rapid firing at the target in a cut scene just like the movie. You get to guide a torpedo home on target. You get to repulse boarding pods with your shields.

I'm hoping I get to the engine room sometime during the game.

You get to go down to a failing station in orbit of a Binary Star and dodge solar flares as it's shields flux.

In short it's the equivalent of ALL of STO's content in one game.

I don't think it plays anything like Mass Effect, I have yet to finish those games.

If you even remotely liked the Movie, you will like the game.

JJ Haters need not apply.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I've mentioned in another thread on the subject:

weak story, nice voiceovers (at least the english version), space combat is nothing more than a rail shooter, bugged (falling through the floor, getting stuck in walls etc...), bad AI, a few years behind the competition as far as gameplay and graphics go, bad support.

If you've played any other current 3rd Person PC game in the past 4-5 years, you'll be disappointed.

It would be worth playing through if one were able to sell it afterwards. ?49 for the PC version and being forced to keep it is just too much.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im not even going to bother with it even when it goes to bargin bin.

angry joe says it well. it has so much potential but flops big time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]