test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

can we get something like this insted of a loading screen?

grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
so after watching the EVE fanfest stream i was wondering if STO could do something similler to this instead of the really immersion breaking loading screens when warping in and out of sector space or other systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9bZjBST-Dw

instead of the wormhole effect maybe a view of your ship and the usual star field you get of stars going past as you transition
Post edited by grtiggy on

Comments

• ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow... that's really awesome. So much nerdgasm in the room the first time he did it lol. I love EVE, but it's way too time consuming for my life right now! Something like that would be pretty sweet to be honest. Even Star Trek:Infinite Space (sad that got canned) had a similar system for loading sequences where I remember seeing your ship say a Galaxy flying impulse or warping. Was kind of neat :).
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Never going to happen. The business model between both games is too different.

Where Eve online is a subscription based game, in order for players to feel the sub is worth it, they need to keep content and updates high quality.

Wheres STO is a micro-transaction game. This model relies on constant new content build around micro transactions, rather than updates to existing content. Micro-transaction model earns money, but not in the orders of magnitude needed to revise the current content AND bring in new content.

Where eve online has 300.000+ subs (last time I checked a year ago) That's 300.000 x 15 euro, or an income of 4.5 million a month.

I highly doubt STO makes even 1/10th of that.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yes but at the same time, they do have to update the look of the game so it doesn't feel like it came out in 2000 , you can only keep folks in for so long with a ton of new ships that cost the price of a full new game yet nothing new or really challenging to use them on.

it does work both ways.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its funny how wannabe economists on the internet bash microtransactions based on nothing but their own gut feelings.

Various companies that run MMOs clearly think F2P is more profitable than subscription-only. Based on facts.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    doesnt work like that.
    the most unprofitable game model today to the AAA range of games, 5 bucks a pop mobile games are the most profitable and the subscription model is being obsoletised by the 'microtransaction' & 'freemium' models.

in context.
    both UT & quake 2 are still fun to play even with dated gfx. more recently, tf2 was another.
    why? the controls & ui work well.

the ground play in sto is squad based gun game with a slow clunky ui, slow clunky ai, and character animations(and locks) that just wouldnt be accepted in a gun game.
    as it is, its a miss-conceptualization of a sword & sorcery game.

the space game too is miss-conceptualized. its a game base on technology, not magic carpets, yet theres that ever present dogawful attempt at forcing the tank / healer / damage dealer trinity fail where it should never have been used.

if there is one thing people know how to butcher these days its technology. ui remember fondly q2 and ut, ut was fluid and fun to play, even with the ai, q2 had jumps maps i took part in regularly, the storyline was solid and there was storyline multiplayer coop mode as well, sadly the trend only caught on to very few games (system shock 2 was one of them). i also play wolfenstein enemy territory as well, its graphics are a little dated but surprisingly little for something like that, and its always fun especially with a mod that gives voice overs for certain kills, surviving long enough to airstrike an enemy spawn and killing off 10 enemies in 1 pop xD "monster kill" and just another 20 more "holy ****!" (echo of the last word for a few more times) <-[hard to keep straight face at that! :rolleyes:] such fun, and that game still holds a place on my computer at any time because it is still that good.

look at the recent releases and most are covered in bugs and such, its like taking your cap off to stroke it over your head and million of headlice drop down your back, but that is the norm these days unofrtunately. but enough of that.

as for the idea of new loading screen, its fine the way it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Regarding the sci-fi / tech feeling, this game's UI is at the heart of the problem. It shouldn't even be used for a sci-fi game that uses tech instead of magic. It needs an overhaul and once that gets fixed, everything else will be easy to adjust.

That warp screen? Hell yes to that! Sector space would suck much less with something like that.
    -Makbure
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i guess my main point here is that with all the rediculus amounts of instancing and loading screens it really takes you out of the game every time you hit a loading screen and being a star trek game you really should be immersed in the expereince and something like the would be a good first step at least.

revisiting old, left behind and obsolete systems would also go along way in cleaning up the game a bit and adding in some new stuff just by working on exisitng things that have been long since forgotten.
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    grtiggy wrote: »
    i guess my main point here is that with all the rediculus amounts of instancing and loading screens it really takes you out of the game every time you hit a loading screen and being a star trek game you really should be immersed in the expereince and something like the would be a good first step at least.

revisiting old, left behind and obsolete systems would also go along way in cleaning up the game a bit and adding in some new stuff just by working on exisitng things that have been long since forgotten.

I would love to see a lot of that. Problem is, it's probably never going to happen, and here's why:

EVE is CCP's baby. It's pretty much their sole existence. Even DUST is kind of a side project to EVE. In order to keep subscription income at acceptable levels, they need to be constantly updating systems and providing a universe where players new and old can find acceptable gameplay.

That's not the case with STO. If Cryptic were a standalone production house, trying to make money off STO, Champs, and NWN all by their lonesome, we might see those kinds of upgrades. Unfortunately, Cryptic and STO are owned by PWE, and both are simply another turnip that needs the blood squeezed from them. As long as the content they provide keeps someone buying Zen, it doesn't matter to them how godawful the systems are beneath it. And when the whole thing gets to a point that the income produced no longer outstrips the cost to upgrade it, it will be discarded so that Cryptic can turn out another microtransaction title.
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Just pointing out what is, last time we had a IMERSHIUM! about the UI we end with a dog sniffing as "map".

What?

This doesn't change anything; the UI needs major rework.
    -Makbure
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do know that the UI is getting a massive overhaul when LOR is released correct? It's been on Tribble for a month now. Tons of testing on it already, bugs fixed with it, etc etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It functions pretty well. It's similiar to the current but with more upgrades/lower resource usage. I played around with it a few times prior to the 3 gig patch they threw up on Tribble this week and it works pretty solidly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.