test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP Podcast Idea/Casting!

kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvP Gameplay
I have a dream!

Well, more of a stupid idea that won't go away, but it's been nagging me for a while now that there is very little radio content on Trek Radio, or a podcast that discusses the meat and bones about builds, ships, and the mechanics of STO.

So, I would like to start now.

However, I would not want to do it alone. First of all, I have somewhat limited experience with technical of podcasting. Second, I work better and am more humorous when i have another personality I can bounce off of. So I would like to know if anyone form the PVP community would like to join me. Anyone from Bootcamp or from any of the big PVP fleets would be welcome. Basic qualifications are

1) Being a STO PVP player, but also players other content.
2) Detailed knowledge of STO mechanics and has decent build.
3) Humorous
4) Hard core (but level headed) Trekkie. (By level headed, i mean that you have seen alot fo the shows, all the movies, can quote the ranks and positions of all the members of all the crews... yet you recognize the limitations of the game and how it cannot represent everything in game.
4) Good radio voice/personality

However, the specifics of the taste of show will be up to negotiation once we have some host available. Obviously alot of this will be based on personalities match and how everything works out, so we will see.

Reply below if you have anything to add or if you want to "audition". I will also be contacting the Bootcamp crew about this for a possible syndication or partnership.
Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
Post edited by kyeto13 on

Comments

• Options
    smeagolsneakysmeagolsneaky Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was planning to start a pvp related podcast some time after the new season launches

Its in the planning stage right now
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Count me in.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    count me in ill auditions.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • Options
    gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    I have a dream!

Well, more of a stupid idea that won't go away, but it's been nagging me for a while now that there is very little radio content on Trek Radio, or a podcast that discusses the meat and bones about builds, ships, and the mechanics of STO.

So, I would like to start now.

However, I would not want to do it alone. First of all, I have somewhat limited experience with technical of podcasting. Second, I work better and am more humorous when i have another personality I can bounce off of. So I would like to know if anyone form the PVP community would like to join me. Anyone from Bootcamp or from any of the big PVP fleets would be welcome. Basic qualifications are

1) Being a STO PVP player, but also players other content.
    2) Detailed knowledge of STO mechanics and has decent build.
    3) Humorous
    4) Hard core (but level headed) Trekkie. (By level headed, i mean that you have seen alot fo the shows, all the movies, can quote the ranks and positions of all the members of all the crews... yet you recognize the limitations of the game and how it cannot represent everything in game.
    4) Good radio voice/personality

However, the specifics of the taste of show will be up to negotiation once we have some host available. Obviously alot of this will be based on personalities match and how everything works out, so we will see.

Reply below if you have anything to add or if you want to "audition". I will also be contacting the Bootcamp crew about this for a possible syndication or partnership.

Answering on behalf of Boot Camp, I will say that this is a really cool idea. If you are interested in discussing how we can partner together on this, send me an email (sargon.priorityone@gmail.com). Additionally, the leadership team of Boot Camp will have a meeting this Saturday on the Boot Camp TS at the following times:

5.4.2013 (Sat., May 4th, 2013): 10pm/2200 CEST (Berlin)/4pm EDT (Boston)/3pm CDT (Minneapolis)

I can't make you any promises or commitments at this point, since our primary goal will remain our monthly classes and seminars, but I do think that many of our goals are similar.

You are correct that there are no shows that deal with these topics exclusively. Priority One has a really interesting segment called, "Field Notes," which has probed PvP at various points.

http://priorityonepodcast.com/

In fact, the Priority One team has often used Boot Camp coaches to host these sessions. Regulus, Pug01, Pax, Eryon, Shane, and even myself (they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to be sure when they asked me) have/will be involved in Field Notes. You might consider listening to these segments to get ideas.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will gladly lend my meager skills in PvP and editing to the cause.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I will gladly lend my meager skills in PvP and editing to the cause.

This guy ^^^ has some great talent, by the way!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If you decide to go forward with this, I urge you to consider the following:

- Try to include as many fleets as possible. Make it an inter-fleet "circus" that revels in diversity and that stands firmly upon the grounds of neutrality. You will (1) win more supporters to your cause in this way and, if done correctly, (2) perhaps help to mend old wounds. I'm not saying you should avoid controversy, only that you should navigate its waters with wisdom and with an eye toward the greater good of the community.

- Avoid the temptation to cover inter-fleet politics and gossip. Foster friendship, teamwork, and community.

- Related to this last point, try to avoid alienating fleets and individuals by classifying consoles, play styles, powers, etc. as as "P2W," "cheesy," "no skill," etc. IIf this community's manifold discussions about the problems with STO PvP have demonstrated anything it is that there is no Archimedean point from which to develop an "ethics" of PvP. We have to work with what we have, and there are many different views on what is "appropriate." Respect the pluralism.
  • Options
    ussenterpisezussenterpisez Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yes, do it! :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Awesome to hear such a positive response to this. I have already began email contact with Sargon and will be attending that TS meeting on Saturday. As for the cohost idea, I will need to discuss this with Bootcamp and see where they stand on it and if they have any coaches that are also decent radio personalities. But otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for anyone who expresses interest.

Thanks guys! Lets get this things started.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    Awesome to hear such a positive response to this. I have already began email contact with Sargon and will be attending that TS meeting on Saturday. As for the cohost idea, I will need to discuss this with Bootcamp and see where they stand on it and if they have any coaches that are also decent radio personalities. But otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for anyone who expresses interest.

Thanks guys! Lets get this things started.

Cool. I will attend to your email later on today. But I am glad to hear that you will show up at our meeting Saturday.Thanks again.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    This sounds really awesome! Can't wait to hear the first episode.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    this Sounds Really Awesome! Can't Wait To Hear The First Episode.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Cryptic Official
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This sounds (Pun intended :P) like a win win situation. And even having Brandflakes supporting you is also a nice little touch. I look forward to being a listener, even if I personally cannot really give much help my self.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    livinrtblivinrtb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great idea we the community truly need this...anything i can do will be done...8D
  • Options
    moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How about recording video from both sides of match, and syncing them together? It would be interesting to see&hear the alpha strike followed by the team cross-heals.
  • Options
    naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How about recording video from both sides of match, and syncing them together? It would be interesting to see&hear the alpha strike followed by the team cross-heals.

Cracking idea....
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can do it in Spanish :D
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited April 2013
    I'm in, if you'll have me. If we do this right, this is one of the best possible ways to extend the influence of the PvP community.
  • Options
    pantsmaster916pantsmaster916 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love it. DO IT.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    I love the idea of a PvP- and Mechanics-focused STO podcast. I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor!

I've done a little podcasting in the past, before coming to Cryptic, so I have a few bits of advice to offer. but please take these as advice from one podcaster to another, not from a Dev to a player.

1) Don't settle for low-quality audio.

This probably means don't record a Skype conversation and publish it directly as an "episode." If you don't have a better option than Skype for remote recording, then take the time to learn some about audio mixing, and post-production. There's nothing that will kill an audience's will to listen faster than having tinny audio, muffled voices, and/or inconsistent volume levels.

This also means that you should bring on hosts that have decent audio equipment of their own. If they don't, but they turn out to be amazing options for hosts, it's worth the investment to help them obtain the gear.

2) Keep it short. Have a plan, and stick to it.

Audience attention spans are generally short. If you want to keep somebody coming back to listen to episode after episode, it's not a great idea to launch into 3-hour conversation epics every week that ramble directionless into random, inconsequential tangents. I mean, tangents can be fun (for both you and the audience!), just don't let them go on longer than a few minutes or you risk having them drag down the show. Stick to your message.

3) Don't fall into a feedback loop.

Conversations are most interesting when the participants have differing opinions, and can share them intelligently and openly. If your host(s) tend to always have the same opinion on the same matters, and never sway or consider outside input, it becomes predictable and boring to listen to the topic. Make a point and move on if nobody wants to debate or question it. Don't dwell on preaching to the choir.

The possible exception to this is when giving tutorials or lessons of some sort. It's generally ok to dwell on the "why" of a situation, even if dwelling on the "what" would not be considered entertaining.

4) Don't have an ego.

This one's more difficult to pull off. I mean, if you didn't have an ego, you wouldn't think you were worth listening to in the first place and probably wouldn't be starting a podcast. What I really mean is, people don't want to listen to a podcast just because you are you, but because you have interesting things to say, a great personality, and/or good advice to share. Let those qualities stand on their own. You're going to be wrong, and people are going to disagree with your, or even hate you. Don't take it personally.

This also means don't be too self-indulgent. The show should be intended as a service to your audience, not as a platform for self-aggrandizement.

---

That's about it, for now. Looking forward to hearing it, when it gets going!

PS - I don't think I'll be auditioning. Sorry! ;)
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    For the record, I do have professional recording equipment. A firewire based audio interface, and several different mics (I'm a musician).

I also have decent video capture if we want to go that way.

For anyone interested, Audio Technica has a few mics with a built in USB interface, such as this one.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    good advice from borticus, i guess he would know about this kind of thing! if and when this pvp pod cast happens, you guys should try to get bort or archon on, a discussion about the EPt changes and anything else related to that plans as well would draw a lot of interest, and not just from pvp'ers
  • Options
    cerberusfilmscerberusfilms Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really like the idea!
    I'd be very interested in getting involved on the back-end at least. Whilst I don't regularly PVP, I do enjoy it when I have the time.

I've sent you message with some more info

Looking forward to hearing the show and helping in anyway I can :D

P.S.

That's fantastic advice from Borticus there!
    Foundry Enthusiast
    Machinima Person
    Did some things back in the day

Now a Games Developer and Researcher
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This guy ^^^ has some great talent, by the way!

Hush now. You'll cause me to blush.:-P
    Though I am buying a new audio software package soon. Reaper.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited April 2013

In editing it would cool.to addd commentary that also explained and gave descriptions of key moments.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In editing it would cool.to addd commentary that also explained and gave descriptions of key moments.

I like this idea a lot. You could go as far as to have one high end PvP match per show.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hush now. You'll cause me to blush.:-P
    Though I am buying a new audio software package soon. Reaper.

Klingons don't blush, they grunt and growl . . . or?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Klingons don't blush, they grunt and growl . . . or?

Lol. Its actually a personal phobia of mine.
    I dislike praise in any form that involves work or working within a system to perfect ones skill.
    Everytime I get praise things always seem to turn downhill for me.
    Im a very much a "no praise me" warrior due to wierd aspect of my life.

Very strange, I know.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Lol. Its actually a personal phobia of mine.
    I dislike praise in any form that involves work or working within a system to perfect ones skill.
    Everytime I get praise things always seem to turn downhill for me.
    Im a very much a "no praise me" warrior due to wierd aspect of my life.

Very strange, I know.

Not strange at all, quite understandable in fact=)
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When Command & Conquer 3 came out EA had this podcast for their tournaments,the matches and players would be analyzed like in 'regular' sports.I would love to see something like that for STO,as part of a PvP podcast.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.