test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ship lighting scheme

princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
Dear Star Trek Online / A Perfect World

I had this idea that if someone wanted to, you could allow them to change the colors and features of not only the hull of their ships but also the colors of the various glowing components of their ship as well.

If you recall in Star Trek The Motion Picture, the refit Enterprise's navigational deflector was dark amber, almost a brown color. Some have suggested that the dish was simply warming up since it was the first time it was being used. Others suggest that it's amber when at impulse speeds while still others think it was the producers who wanted it that color to harken back to the original series, the deflector dish was a copper or bronze color and wanted to keep some aspect of the original in some fashion in the new refit.

Anyway, I was hoping that it might be considered allowing players to change the colors of the lights and the blooms of the impulse and warp engines as well as the navigational deflector. As you may well know, in Star Trek, even if the ship is in the same fleet (eg, Starfleet) you can still have varying colors of engines. For example, the NX-01's impulse engine lighting was light blue while others had a red, yellow or white glow and the refit Enterprise's inboard nacelles glowed almost a violet color.

I'm currently running a modified Gryphon/Dervish class painted in a purple and gray scheme and named it, "USS Shockwave" for the Decepticon Transformer of the same name. This particular Transformer was purple and had a single red glowing eye. I thought it would be cool to complete the look by making my ship's navigational deflector appear to have a single red dot in the center of black.

I made this image to illustrate. It's not exactly what I was thinking but I hope you get the gist.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/SG1fan1/shockwave_zps5f3e24e6.png

Perhaps it could be a premium benefit to players for, say, 500 zen to alter the colors of the lighting.

Thank you for your time, attention and consideration.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by princedimwit on

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know about completely customizable colors for lights, but I do think the deflector should have customization options separate from the hull material.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hazard, marker and formation lights are actually digital effect sequences, there actually only a few of them assigned arbitrarily to effects "hardpoints" as part of the ships design. It's not simply a matter of changing the color, since to have different colored effects would require new sequences be created using the desired color, this would limit how many color options would be available unless the sequences themselves are completely redesigned to allow for color customization on a per ship basis, additionally the customization options would need to be changed to allow the user access to that part of the ships effects inventory. It's doable but no small task.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I Kinda want this possible, but I doubt that is it, Is lighting effect in the hull material, basically if one want change effects from the deflector and nacelles, it would be a hell of coding.
  • princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just kinda thought it might go along with the hull color scheme in spacedock.

Just add a drop-down menu for lights of a given area; deflector, impulse engines, warp nacelles/bussards.

Maybe a rule that you can't have engine or deflector or impulse engine lighting that's the same as a reward you'd get in a mission; "can't have pink that's in the Jem'hadar reward pack"

I'd like to see effects as well in the lighting scheme - not animations but have it so there can be rings, spirals, dot or dots, gradients, radial lines, spokes, grating. Some can be free (paid with EC) and others can be premium (paid with zen).

These are just aesthetic choices for the ship to make it look more menacing or more feminine or to suit your ship to look like something. You know how occasionally you'll see Spider-Man or Hellboy in the corridors of Spacedock? Yeah, like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]