test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone testing with WINE under Linux?

tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
Anyone testing with WINE under Linux? I tried a couple of times today, but both times crashed during the loading bar screen, even though this box handles the Holodeck version of the game well. I'm using an older version of WINE, so I'm wondering if a newer version can handle the updated client.

Comments

• fluh#9635 fluh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, it seems i'm new to the game and cant open new threads here :(.
    I play the game in linux, I tried different wine versions, currently I'm using 1.92 version of wine.

Well the only thing that bothers me are the crashes during the loadings. It happens every 2 to 3 loading screens it depends...if i'm somewhere where are lots of people ... The error in wine i'm getting is direct3d out of memory error.
    I tried setting the video memory in wine ... well i red it somewhere... to 2048, 1024 or more ... it didn't help.

Is there a solution for this.

Thanks
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Not heard of any issue like that, no troubles on 1.7.34 for me. Make sure you have both the game and WINE set to use the amount of RAM on your video card, if you have it set to 2048 and you only have a 1 GB card it's likely going to run it out. Also, try setting the game to use DX9, as that fixes a lot of issues, both WINE and native Windows.

Also, a recommendation, instead of being so task focused, find a thread to reply to with something trivial to get your post count up. Lot's of threads dealing with lore of the game that you could chime in on, plenty of threads dealing with the future of the game (current big thing the possibility of the Alternate Reality being added in) that I'm betting you would have a opinion on.
  • igorche81igorche81 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I'm playing on Linux last 4-5 months. Works fine for me. Loading times are a bit longer than on windows (especially the very first one) but the rest works just fine. I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 and wine version 1.7.40.
    I was actually surprised that there were no tutorials on youtube on how to do this. Strange. Maybe one of us can make one for both the Star Trek Online and the Linux community.
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I've used Wine for several years. The best experience was when I switched from wine to wine-staging. It contains several upstream patches that hasn't made it to the regular release yet, among them multiple DirectX improvements. I'm also running the latest version. No special settings needed to get STO running. Runs right out of the box.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
    Cool. Good to know for wine-staging. I never used it before. I'll give it a shot one of these days. Once the Mirror event ends probably.
  • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Yes, I use STO on wine when I don't need perfomance. ie. check the exchange. It works, on holodeck but since past patch It crashes everytime I click Engage on tribble. I'll try that wine-staging and see... but game worked until past friday. And oh, it happens the same on windows.
    There's been a lot of progress from the 1.7 series mentioned earlier in this thread. They're on 1.9 now. The staging version removed the last annoying performance problems I experienced.
    ---
  • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    There's been a lot of progress from the 1.7 series mentioned earlier in this thread. They're on 1.9 now. The staging version removed the last annoying performance problems I experienced.

I was already using an 1.8 rc3-staging version. I tried 1.9 something staging. Same result. I managed to pass the Engage and see the Loading screen changing some settings, like D3D10 internal/native instead of disabled, same with D3D11 and a couple of d3d libraries, but anyways the loading screen crashes after a secs, when it's only around 5%. With those same settings, the game works on holodeck.

At least under wine I can do those tests, on Windows I can't, I'm stuck at Engage crash. I fear they'll launch this on holodeck soon without fix and I can't play. It seems like a dx9 thing, so maybe they removed dx9 support (intentionally?).

What wine settings are you using exactly?
    edited September 2016
    samargatha wrote: »
    What wine settings are you using exactly?

I simply started with a fresh ~/.wine, installed some old version of the game I had and just ran it from there. No winetricks. No special registry settings. I haven't tried Tribble since the last patch but I had a crash problem there on an earlier occasion. I solved it then by copying the Live/localdata/Gameprefs.Pref to Playtest/localdata/Gameprefs.Pref since I noticed those files were wildly different and the Tribble one never updated correctly by itself.

---
    edited September 2016
    samargatha wrote: »
    At least under wine I can do those tests, on Windows I can't, I'm stuck at Engage crash. I fear they'll launch this on holodeck soon without fix and I can't play. It seems like a dx9 thing, so maybe they removed dx9 support (intentionally?).

They are testing the new lighting system currently, which requires DX11. They will not push it to Holodeck until both DX11 and DX9 (current standard lighting only) are working correctly (they support all the way down to Windows XP currently for the Live version).
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I'm getting the crash on the Cryptic loading screen at about 2% progress, running on a Mac using Crossover 15.2 (Wine 1.8, I believe). Runs the current release client just fine, with occasional crashes on the Cryptic loading screen startup (i.e. GameClient startup).
    The current Tribble build works fine for me under Linux with -d3d11enable 0 -d3d9 set in the Command Line box of Options in the Launcher. I'm not sure how well DX11 is supported right now WINE, so that may be causing your crash, iathor.