test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wow, The klingons are really excited for The Romulan expansion..

kratos20thkratos20th Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Federation Discussion
Took a peak on their board and the whole first page was filled with welcoming/begging romulans to join them, & scorning the federation for not making a bunch of topics welcoming/begging them at all.

I'm gonna feel bad for any randon Romulan player who'l get spammed with propoganda as soon as it comes time to choose.
Post edited by kratos20th on

Comments

• voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2013
    The excitement seems based on the delusion that the people making Romulan characters are all going to be unaffiliated with a fleet on Fed side, and willing to be recruited as if they are new players.

I'm sure that people will make some KDF and some UFP affiliated Romulans for novelty's sake, but in the end they're going to choose the side that offers them the best play experience.

KDF will probably benefit more from having a full leveling experience and players being able to customize their interface than they will from an influx of new players in the Romulan "faction."
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The excitement seems based on the delusion that the people making Romulan characters are all going to be unaffiliated with a fleet on Fed side, and willing to be recruited as if they are new players.

Pretty much this.

The vast majority will bring their new Romulan characters over to the side where they are already the most heavily invested.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Less excitement, more desperation.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The KDF players are no more desperate than the Fed players. We're all running around screaming for more end-game content and more canon things to do.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pretty much this.

The vast majority will bring their new Romulan characters over to the side where they are already the most heavily invested.

unless your fleet decides "no romulans"
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am more open to see new people in the faction, however many it will be. That's all there is to it. Whether it's new bonafide players because STO *finally* lets you create your first character with any faction, come May, and they want to play in the Klingon Empire. Or, if it was a predominantly Fed player that rolled a Romulan toon, went against the grain and decided to affiliate his Romulan with the Klingons for a change of scenery.

I have no doubts that the vast majority of Feds rolling Romulan toons will stay within their safe, comfy, baby blue confines of the Federation. Everything is all setup with them and their own fleets. It is something they're familiar with.

But for those few that choose to be different and play on the KDF side, then it's a different experience altogether.

Oh, and the Klingon Empire isn't desperate. Not by the general results of PVP, even with PUGs. Not when I log into my Fed alts at ESD, and see someone complaining about the Klingons in zone chat :cool: We're not desperate at all. We're angry with Cryptic, but not desperate.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am more open to see new people in the faction, however many it will be. That's all there is to it. Whether it's new bonafide players because STO *finally* lets you create your first character with any faction, come May, and they want to play in the Klingon Empire. Or, if it was a predominantly Fed player that rolled a Romulan toon, went against the grain and decided to affiliate his Romulan with the Klingons for a change of scenery.

I have no doubts that the vast majority of Feds rolling Romulan toons will stay within their safe, comfy, baby blue confines of the Federation. Everything is all setup with them and their own fleets. It is something they're familiar with.

But for those few that choose to be different and play on the KDF side, then it's a different experience altogether.

Oh, and the Klingon Empire isn't desperate. Not by the general results of PVP, even with PUGs. Not when I log into my Fed alts at ESD, and see someone complaining about the Klingons in zone chat :cool: We're not desperate at all. We're angry with Cryptic, but not desperate.

Indeed. In all honesty, the main reason why KDF enthusiasts want more people in the KDF ranks is because that's what Cryptic apparently uses when determining whether a faction is worth giving resources to. The small population is an excuse for Cryptic to continually leave the faction behind and give all the shinies to the Federation fanboys who constantly demand them.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The small population is an excuse for Cryptic to continually leave the faction behind and give all the shinies to the Federation fanboys who constantly demand them.
    In all fairness, not only do we constantly demand them, but we also back-up that demand by purchasing enough shiny trinkets to justify the time it takes to make them. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And given the disparity of the allotments, the lopsided nature of the fed-kdf distribution will be even more exaggerated
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2013
    A problem for big established fleet will be this:

Fleet Size Limitations

While a team of five is required to form a fleet, once formed it can go down to a single member. The maximum limit is 500 members, after which invitations would give the error "[Fleet] Error inviting to fleet: <Fleet Name> has reached full capacity. You must remove members to add new ones."

So unless something changes for the size limitation, say a third your T5 federation/KDF fleet
    decides to roll a romulan alt but your fleet is already near the 500 member cap do you:

A.
    Only allow current fleet members who make a Romulan to join till you hit cap rest are outta luck go away? :eek:

B. Kick current members to allow new Romulans into fleet? :(

C. Small fleets would seem to benefit the most from influx of "new" Romulans who need to ally with a faction otherwise how can they get fleet gear?:rolleyes:

D. ?

Just food for though ;)

Good Hunting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    in all fairness, but Romulans should have been exclusively tight to the KDF to encourage people to join the KDF.

could have been, more KDF exclusive content, more KDF exclusive ships, and maybe the most important part...aktually a lot more KDF players.

on the other hand, a full 3rd faction would have cut KDF population even further...i mean both sides would have lost players, but the KDF couldn't afford losing any player. Public queue for fleet actions or whatever is already twice as long, if one actually opens up.

Just my 2 cents, i'm certainly not unhappy with the way romulans get introduced...it won't hurt the server balance, but it will do nothing to shift the interest to the KDF, which would have been necessary in my opinion.
    Myself i'm going to level 2 romulans...a FED and a KDF. 2 tac captains probably, since it seems those are the fastest to level and grind + i can reuse items (nowadays everything beeing account bound)
    Go pro or go home
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    In all fairness, not only do we constantly demand them, but we also back-up that demand by purchasing enough shiny trinkets to justify the time it takes to make them. :)

Yes but if all your shiny Starfleet outfits were, per character from the Lobi store aka the Korath outfit. which seems to be the only additional KDF outfit since launch? would you really collect the Lobis to outfit say 4 toons or try to buy 4/6 that are on exchange i believe at 15+mil ec each? :eek:

Good Hunting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tenkari wrote: »

The fleet i just departed took that childish approach in an attempt to boost their KDF counterpart.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    A problem for big established fleet will be this:

Fleet Size Limitations

While a team of five is required to form a fleet, once formed it can go down to a single member. The maximum limit is 500 members, after which invitations would give the error "[Fleet] Error inviting to fleet: <Fleet Name> has reached full capacity. You must remove members to add new ones."

So unless something changes for the size limitation, say a third your T5 federation/KDF fleet
    decides to roll a romulan alt but your fleet is already near the 500 member cap do you:

A.
    Only allow current fleet members who make a Romulan to join till you hit cap rest are outta luck go away? :eek:

B. Kick current members to allow new Romulans into fleet? :(

C. Small fleets would seem to benefit the most from influx of "new" Romulans who need to ally with a faction otherwise how can they get fleet gear?:rolleyes:

D. ?
    The largest fleets are already hitting Tier 5. This could be the greatest boon for small fleets!

Why would Cryptic increase fleet sizes? The way they've set up the Romulan faction benefits smaller fleets, by letting them add Romulan players, and doesn't benefit larger fleets by giving them more resources. Those new Romulan players just need to start a new, aligned fleet to get their starbase and stuff done.

Isn't this a great solution? :eek:
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    on the other hand, a full 3rd faction would have cut KDF population even further...i mean both sides would have lost players, but the KDF couldn't afford losing any player. Public queue for fleet actions or whatever is already twice as long, if one actually opens up.
    First of all, shared fleets *guarantees* that more Romulans will tilt to Fed, simply because more of the playerbase is more active there. Assume a 10:1 fleet distribution, then 2x players in each fleet means the current ratio of 100 fed to every 10 KDF suddenly becomes 200 fed to every 20 kdf. The queues may or may not have gotten worse from some other model, but if what we hear is true then they are definitely going to become more unbalanced this way. If you were trying to fix queues this is pretty much the wrong answer.

PVP queues suck because PVP sucks. Fix PVP and the queues wont suck. Jeezus, why does this game even have PVP queues? Its not COD.

A third faction would give a lot of interesting options for a variety of combat zones.

Personally I think the talk about PVP queues is smoke and BS. I'm sure it was a man-hours decision first and foremost.

ps--back to the OP for a moment, I find it interesting/annoying that one of the KDF dailies is to go fight generic Romulan Empire invaders in the Yan Nebula (not Tal'Shiar, Romulans). Not very welcoming of us to send them off to fight the empire that supposedly no longer exists. And why are we fighting them anyway if we are alll one big happy family now? Left hand, meet Right hand, etc
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Klingons are happy because Romulans are their natural enemy, and they just love shooting them :)
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The KDF players are no more desperate than the Fed players. We're all running around screaming for more end-game content and more canon things to do.

Yep! And all we get is prequel story content and a new rep grind.... yay I guess, at least there's no new lockbox announced yet. About the only really exciting thing I've heard so far is the new hairstyles coming.
    edited April 2013
    I find it interesting/annoying that one of the KDF dailies is to go fight generic Romulan Empire invaders in the Yan Nebula (not Tal'Shiar, Romulans). Not very welcoming of us to send them off to fight the empire that supposedly no longer exists. And why are we fighting them anyway if we are alll one big happy family now? Left hand, meet Right hand, etc

Why? It seems fairly clear at this point that the RSE has essentially collapsed into multiple competing factions with multiple competing agendas. Some of them can be hiding out in Nebulas and others... not. Obviously, at least some of them would like to claim the lineage/name of the RSE.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kratos20th wrote: »
    Took a peak on their board and the whole first page was filled with welcoming/begging romulans to join them, & scorning the federation for not making a bunch of topics welcoming/begging them at all.
    The Klingon enthusiasts among the STO playerbase have been looking in the wrong forum to find Fed centric Romulan threads. But that's understandable. There's literally only THREE Klingon Sub Forums on that entire selection page. The Gameplay. The Fleet Yards. And the Fleet recruitment one.

All of the rest cater either generally or specifically to the Federation. So the "Hey Romulans!" threads are more spread out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Cryptic has invested a lot of time and effort into their metrics research. They know what they're doing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    They know what they're doing.
    Doing what they know, more likely
    edited April 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    Why? It seems fairly clear at this point that the RSE has essentially collapsed into multiple competing factions with multiple competing agendas. Some of them can be hiding out in Nebulas and others... not. Obviously, at least some of them would like to claim the lineage/name of the RSE.
    Alright. How do I join up with those guys??

Although other people insist the empire has completely collapsed and there is no-one but D'Tan to lead us and rebuild

And more to the point of this thread, its ridiculous that the KDF is talking about untrustworthy romulans massing a fleet in the Yan Nebula at they same time they are saying hey here's the keys to First City and our fleet bases, look around and help yourself
    edited April 2013
    Alright. How do I join up with those guys??
    Those guys being the ones who hate the Klingon Empire? You don't. :D

For good reason, our "Romulan" faction is just one faction of the Romulan Remnant.
    Although other people insist the empire has completely collapsed and there is no-one but D'Tan to lead us and rebuild
    I agree that it's collapsed. But I think there are some people who'd probably still be trying to use the name.
    And more to the point of this thread, its ridiculous that the KDF is talking about untrustworthy romulans massing a fleet in the Yan Nebula at they same time they are saying hey here's the keys to First City and our fleet bases, look around and help yourself
    That's like saying "Why would I let a British person into my house? There are murderers in Britain!"
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    in all fairness, but Romulans should have been exclusively tight to the KDF to encourage people to join the KDF.

You're assuming that a big KDF is a point of interest to Cryptic at all.

In practice what you'd see is most people run the new Rom content once on an alt and never touch it again. Talk about a waste of resources from Cryptic's point of view! No, the way its been done is the way that presents the best revenue generating scenarios while gutting the KDF the least (had Roms been a full faction I'd wager you'd see it take a bigger chunk out of the KDF than from Starfleet).
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tenkari wrote: »

like there aren't plenty of other fleets, and like this wipes out all of a Fed Players C-Store ships they might have.

There is almost no incentive for a player with a Fed main to ally KDF with their Romulan toon, and likewise there is almost no incentive for a player with a KDF main to ally Fed with their Romulan toon.
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First of all, shared fleets *guarantees* that more Romulans will tilt to Fed, simply because more of the playerbase is more active there. Assume a 10:1 fleet distribution, then 2x players in each fleet means the current ratio of 100 fed to every 10 KDF suddenly becomes 200 fed to every 20 kdf. The queues may or may not have gotten worse from some other model, but if what we hear is true then they are definitely going to become more unbalanced this way. If you were trying to fix queues this is pretty much the wrong answer.

PVP queues suck because PVP sucks. Fix PVP and the queues wont suck. Jeezus, why does this game even have PVP queues? Its not COD.

A third faction would give a lot of interesting options for a variety of combat zones.

Personally I think the talk about PVP queues is smoke and BS. I'm sure it was a man-hours decision first and foremost.

ps--back to the OP for a moment, I find it interesting/annoying that one of the KDF dailies is to go fight generic Romulan Empire invaders in the Yan Nebula (not Tal'Shiar, Romulans). Not very welcoming of us to send them off to fight the empire that supposedly no longer exists. And why are we fighting them anyway if we are alll one big happy family now? Left hand, meet Right hand, etc

Agreed, the queues are an inflexible concept to begin with. I like Ker'rat, but wish it weren't so bugged and flawed. Heck, just changing the problem with the spawnpoints would improve the zone immeasurably, if people didn't have to deal with the inevitable spawn-camping that results from the current state of affairs.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.