test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So...Let Me Get This Straight...

ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Been away for a bit...sort of fell off of the forums after the big Romulan announcement -- just lurked a bit.

Came in today...and I want to make sure that I got this correct...please correct me if I am wrong...

The "Romulan Faction" is not really a faction...you start a Romulan charactor, and at some point they have to decide to join either the KDF or the Federation?

So...as a Romulan....there will be access to Romulan warships in BOTH Federation and KDF Shipyards?

Sub-Question: Will Romulans who join the Empire have access to KDF vessels, especially Fleet Versions?

Sub-Question: Will KDF players have access to Romulan vessels?

So...no third faction....just the two existing factions...but with a new "sub-race" or "partner" attached to the existing two factions?

No Romulan faction, no third party in PvP, etc? How will Fed and KDF Romulans be visually different, or will they look exactly the same? That could get confusing...

If this is indeed the case...wow. Just wow.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Roms aren't "joining" the Feds or KDF. They're choosing to ally with one side over the other. Through that alliances they gain access to some Faction Missions and gear.

Think of it more in terms of how the Feds and KDF were allied throughout most of the TNG era of series. They had their own culture, storylines, and issues but would work together when the situations demanded it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To: the cosmic1

Good! This is actually what I was hoping for...and forms the basis of my second post regarding what the KDF could bring to the table for Romulan players.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    How will Fed and KDF Romulans be visually different, or will they look exactly the same? That could get confusing...
    How do you differentiate Fed JHAS from KDF JHAS? Or other lockbox ships both factions share?

In PeeVeePeeps, the fed ships will have blue names and the KDF ships will be orange. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How do you differentiate Fed JHAS from KDF JHAS? Or other lockbox ships both factions share?

In PeeVeePeeps, the fed ships will have blue names and the KDF ships will be orange. Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

You forget that the RR ships will still be green. You're not joining that faction, you're just picking who your buddies in battle will be.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    You forget that the RR ships will still be green. You're not joining that faction, you're just picking who your buddies in battle will be.
    In the PvP maps you'll either have a blue name or an orange name. Just like in fed vs. fed PvP. Differentiation will be easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    In the PvP maps you'll either have a blue name or an orange name. Just like in fed vs. fed PvP. Differentiation will be easy.

True enough. That we aren't going to have a 3-way PvP is actually the only thing that bums me with this expansion. Everything else kinda' falls in place.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    By "some" you mean all.

You cannot restrict the Shipyard and its pretty clear to me they are going to allow unrestricted access to all your chosen faction Zen Shop ships.

The only times I remember seeing a Federation Officer commanding was Klingon ship was Riker in TNG during the exchange program and Worf in DS9.

Does the US Navy allows British Officers to command their Nimitz Class carriers? or does the British Navy allows Portuguese Officers to command their Vanguard submarines?

Even ONE ship would be too many, this is the identity of the Romulan Faction and the fact they are allowed to freely use anything means they dont have any.

Romulans don't get access to faction-specific missions of their allies, unless you somehow count faction-agnostic dailies, queues and FE's. :)
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Does the US Navy allows British Officers to command their Nimitz Class carriers? or does the British Navy allows Portuguese Officers to command their Vanguard submarines?

Does Trident mean nothing to you? How about the fact that Canada is flying the F-18? How about the Kongo-class destroyer of the Japanese Navy (i.e., Arleigh Burke in a kimono)?

Lots of countries are perfectly happy to sell their weaponry to their allies to operate.
    edited March 2013
    qjunior wrote: »
    Romulans don't get access to faction-specific missions of their allies, unless you somehow count faction-agnostic dailies, queues and FE's. :)
    And Fleet Actions. Which I think is the real back-breaker for the KDF in this particular instance. The fact that Fleet Actions help provide a decent source of Fleet Marks, and that the Fed gets an easier time with that content, gives them a meaningful advantage when thinking about the long term impact of the choice a Romulan has to make.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The Roms aren't "joining" the Feds or KDF. They're choosing to ally with one side over the other. Through that alliances they gain access to some Faction Missions and gear.

Think of it more in terms of how the Feds and KDF were allied throughout most of the TNG era of series. They had their own culture, storylines, and issues but would work together when the situations demanded it.

If only this message could be heard in the general discussion forum... This place up there makes my eyes bleed...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If only this message could be heard in the general discussion forum... This place up there makes my eyes bleed...

It seems the only people actually being positive about the Romulans is the KDF for the most part.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zipagat wrote: »
    It seems the only people actually being positive about the Romulans is the KDF for the most part.

And we have the most to be worried about, being the smaller of the two current factions. :D
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited March 2013

Been there, tried that.....
    Those forums have the level of democracy of the Soviet Union atm. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ship models shouldn't be a problem for PvP. While I do not PvP often, when I do, I can count the number of times I identified a ship by its model before I saw its red or blue text... um... I'm not sure I ever saw the ship before the tooltip...

If its red, its dead. (Well, in this game its more likely if its blue its dead, but that doesn't have the same ring to it =p)
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    qjunior wrote: »

Actually the recent dev blog post says otherwise.

When the Romulan player chooses a side they will be able to join a team with their new overlords and play through the previously faction specific Federation and Klingon episodes, they just won't get any of the faction specific rewards from the missions. So we won't be seeing Romulans running around with that fancy batleth Kahless gives us, etc.

However the dev post also indicated that Romulan players will have access to the ships, fleet assets, and special consoles of their "allies". There is no word on if this will work both ways, allowing Feds and KDF players to use Romulan equipment. The devs did mention that they won't be sharing the same costumes though.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'll hazard to say that the Romulans will essentially be choosing "sponsors" as opposed to allies. The comparison I would like to make would be certain Middle Eastern countries whose military inventory are filled with Soviet hardware as opposed to other countries in the region with NATO equipment. Or West Germany and East Germany before the reunification. Or the People's Republic of China and Taiwan. or North Korea and South Korea.

In general, an historic event split a group of people into smaller groups with different leaders trying to be the recognized successor. But with a fractured economy and industrial base, each leader must turn to other political entities to "sponsor" their economy and military. They are still their own countries but you can tell that their sponsors have significant influence on them.

Each of those countries have gone on military exercises with their sponsor countries and in a sense, share missions with them.

Or at least this is the reasoning in my head right now.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar