test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boff Sexism in STO? lol

angelus214angelus214 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
Nah im just kidding im sure its an oversight.

But my fleet recently unlocked the Embassy Romulan Boffs and I noticed that the rare (blue) female boffs loose out to the men when it comes to the traits.

Uncommon are all the same Very Rare are all the same (at least in text of their abilities).

But with the Rare, the male Science and Engineer has Superior Subterfuge, the Female only has Basic Subterfuge and the male tac has "Superior Romulan Operative" where as the female only has "Romulan Operative"

And this isn't a text only thing. When active the male boff increases my Crit Chance from 6.2 to 10.2 and Crit Severity from 59.1 to 64.2

The female only increases Crit Chance from 6.2 to 9.7 and Severity from 59.1 to 62.9.

Now personally I like (wherever possible) an all female crew with the exception of T'Kek whos my Sci officer. But i dont feel i should loose out because of gender. Please can this be changed thanks
Untitled_1.jpg

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
Post edited by angelus214 on

Comments

• angelus214angelus214 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also any chance of getting back the 80k FC and 20k Dil i spent finding this out ... LMAO as if.
    Untitled_1.jpg

• fllyraenfllyraen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Developer response on this issue is here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8233721&postcount=75

Take this as a lesson on paying attention to the details of what you're buying.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly this seems like a lot of hot air for no reason.

If you are trying to maximalise your builds, then you should not be bothered by such unnecessary details as crew race or gender.

If you want to be surrounded by (I assume scantily clad) females officers, then you should be willing to sacrifice a bit of efficiency for it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2013
    Flyraen - that link doesnt answer the question. Firstly it says the traits were assigned randomly but its only rare female romulans that loose out on traits. uncommon and very rare female romulan boffs have the exact same trait as there male counterparts.

Also thats refering to 2 or more traits so seems like its aimed at ground traits. Thats my fault though I should of made clear Im refering to the space traits only.

Uncommon Female/Male SCI/ENG Space Trait = Basic Subterfuge

Uncommon Female/Male TAC Space Trait = Romulan Operative

Very Rare Female/Male SCI/ENG/TAC Space Trait = Superior Subterfuge

But

Rare Male SCI/ENG Space Trait = Superior Subterfuge

Rare Female SCI/ENG Space Trait = Basic Subterfuge

Rare Male TAC Space Trait = Superior Romulan Operative

Rare Female TAC Space Trait = Romulan Operative

So the issue im trying to raise is that this doesnt seem random and the rares dont follow the layout of the rest which they should in my opinion

Tpalelena the title was just a joke hence the lol and im not doing it for the build exclusively and no there not scantily clad there all in the TNG movie uniform.
    Untitled_1.jpg

edited March 2013
    Okey, but it just lodged in my brain...

why do tactical ones get subterfuge, and not an even better operative?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah there should be a basic romulan operative then a romulan operative then superior romulan operative
    Untitled_1.jpg

• ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    angelus214 wrote: »
    But my fleet recently unlocked the Embassy Romulan Boffs and I noticed that the rare (blue) female boffs loose out to the men when it comes to the traits.

If I remember correctly, the Female BOFFs have better ground combat traits.
    edited March 2013
    Better ground abilites im not sure

Male rare gets

Acute Senses, Superior Physical Strength and Creative

Female rare gets

Superior Mental Discipline, Stubborn and Superior Soldier
    Untitled_1.jpg

• thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, the female gets 2 superior ground traits while the male only gets 1 superior ground trait. From the view of total number of superior traits they're equal, but because approximately 3 people in all of STO care about their BOff's ground traits they're not at all equal in practice.
  • mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I for one advocate equal rights (and space powers) for all female romulan boffs! End this senseless oppression!
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Okey, but it just lodged in my brain...

why do tactical ones get subterfuge, and not an even better operative?
    Because they screwed up and don't want to fix it.

The uncommon tact boffs should have Basic Operative, but they have Operative instead. Essentially, every thing got shifted down, except for the Rare Female Tact BOFF. That is the only one that is actually correct.

Thinking about the purple tacts getting Subterfuge, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Having a full bridge of Romulan Superior Subterfuge will give your ship a 18.75% increase to defense.
    edited March 2013
    But I would rather have 5 ones that give critical chance.
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    But I would rather have 5 ones that give critical chance.
    Well, sure...if that were available, I'd like that too. But, since they aren't, I'd rather have 18.75% defense until they do become available (if ever).
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is a very interesting thread which brings to light what I've suspected all along.

Sexism exists on STO, but we should examine all sides. Female boffs do tend to have uneven abilities with male ones. On the flip side, they are more expensive and less to find.

Why? It's all human nature. I'm sure the developers didn't design it by accident and it compensates for players who actually tend to buy more female boffs than male ones, in consequence making the male seemingly worthless. A good example can be found in the Orion section, most expensive of all regular boffs (for purely aesthetic reasons, if you know what I mean)... Though the price has been significantly rising recently, you can still find long pages of relatively cheap (used to be some selling for 10 ec, almost nothing) male boffs, while getting a female one costs a significantly higher amount of ec and are less available.

Is it because female ones drop less or is it because players tend to keep those they have? For sure those who sell their female boffs at a higher price are fully aware they sell for more than the male ones, regardless of ability. Look at it this way... there's a reason Orion female boffs are a luxury item on the fed side, but no male one is available. Behold the delights of human nature at work. I don't think Star Trek would be the same without provocative females included.

Apart from uneven abilities, the only descrimination worth noting I see is that males aren't allowed the same. If you have Orion women in loincloths, you should have Orion men in them too or kilts for that matter (Scotty used to wear a ceremonial kilt). Men have a right to feel sexy while playing the game too, just as the women players can. I'm not one of them but I know male players who resort to getting female toons instead... but that is another story.
    edited April 2013
    Great, now I want a crew with kilts, themed after groundskeeper Willie. :D
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Is it because female ones drop less or is it because players tend to keep those they have? For sure those who sell their female boffs at a higher price are fully aware they sell for more than the male ones, regardless of ability. Look at it this way... there's a reason Orion female boffs are a luxury item on the fed side, but no male one is available. Behold the delights of human nature at work. I don't think Star Trek would be the same without provocative females included.

I can't resist the Bridge Officer Achievement doff assignments, so I get a ton of boffs. So many, I end up discarding most of them. Sometimes I get one with a neat set of traits or a valuable ability, though.

I can assure you that the male/female distribution of boff drops is as close to 50/50 as it can be (no female Gorn, Nausicaans, or Letheans). Females always cost more on the exchange because there's simply much more demand for them. Human nature at work, as you put it.

I take them at their word that the traits on the Romulan boffs were assigned by an algorithm that gave equal weighting to all of the Superior traits. That's stupid, and it's silly that they won't fix it now that they know how stupid we think it is, but it's not sexism. Just dumb.