test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit

breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Federation Discussion
Greetings,
This build has been decent to play in STF/PVE.
I'd like to see what people think of it, and give opinions on how to make it better.
I might dabble into PVP with the ship at some point as well.

Science Captain. Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit

Fore: 2x Phased Tetryon Beam Array [Acc]x2, Chroniton Torpedo [CrtD][CrtH]x2
Aft: 2x Phased Tetryon Beam Array [Acc]x2, Photon Torpedo [CrtD][Dmg]x2

Omega Set mk X

Devices: Subspace Field Modulator, Scorpian Fighters, Engine Battery

Engineering: 2x Neutronium, Borg Console
Science: Field Generator, Nadeon Detonator, 2x Emitter Array [ShH][-Th]
Tactical: 2x Tetryon Pulse Generator

Doff: Shield Distribution, Tractor Beam, Sensors, Transporter, Photonic Studies

Lt Tac: Tac Team 1, High Yield 2
Lt Eng: Power to Shields 1, Aux to SiF 1
Cdr Sci: Hazard 1, Transfer Shield 2, Tachyon Beam 3, Photonic Shockwave 3
LtC Sci: Sci Team 1, Hazard 2, Transfer Shield 3
Ens Sci: Tractor 1

PS, Please be constructive, and Thank You in advance.

Note: I do not have access to Leet Fleet stuff on this toon, nor near enough Rep.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by breygorn on

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why Chroniton and Photon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eisaakazeisaakaz Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why Chroniton and Photon?

I am in agreement. Personally I am not a huge fan of the Nadeon Detonator. It just doesn't give me the bang for the buck I like. Despite its stats, I don't feel it really does much.

I have flown that same setup (basically) before and the only difference I would make is to put a Quantum Torpedo up front, reason being that it flies the fastest to target so when a shield drops it has a better chance of hitting hull before a shield recharge. Since you are using Tetryon I would go quantum.

In the back with this type of setup I prefer the Tricolbolt torpedo. It is slow but after you light up a enemy and they pass by you, with the Tetryon there is a good chance their shields will be almost down, if they were buffing a shield facing, all other shields could be down so it is a nice present to leave as the pass-by. Also I find that in many cases there is so much going on in the pass-by that the Tricolbolt slips in without being shot down.

Other than that, without spending a ton of money that is not a bad setup. I am sure the DPS monkeys will have some different advice.

Happy Hunting!

Eisaak
  • Options
    jadensecurajadensecura Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would say you should rethink your doffs, with that setup you're doing a little of everything and none of it very well. I would also tend to drop the A2SIF (it's a great ability, but even so) for a second EPtS so you can be chaining those, which will probably help your survivability enough that you don't need some of your sci heals, and can replace one with an extra offensive ability to get a chain of those going (or just throw in a GW, that's always a good thing to do in PvE). Or if you really want to keep the A2SIF you could get a Mirror DSSV from the exchange for about 60k ec and give up one of your ensign sci abilities.

I also have to say, I'm not a fan of broadside sci ships. The way I look at it, your Tachyon Beam requires you to go facing I believe 10 seconds out of every 30, that means that for at least 12 seconds of every 30 you're out of your max DPS arc. This is why the DBB/turret thing is so popular, it allows you to stick with the max DPS arc while using your abilities. I always used to do single cannon/turret myself, with one torp, until the Vesta came out.
  • Options
    dashuk2381dashuk2381 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would say you should rethink your doffs, with that setup you're doing a little of everything and none of it very well. I would also tend to drop the A2SIF (it's a great ability, but even so) for a second EPtS so you can be chaining those, which will probably help your survivability enough that you don't need some of your sci heals, and can replace one with an extra offensive ability to get a chain of those going (or just throw in a GW, that's always a good thing to do in PvE). Or if you really want to keep the A2SIF you could get a Mirror DSSV from the exchange for about 60k ec and give up one of your ensign sci abilities.

I also have to say, I'm not a fan of broadside sci ships. The way I look at it, your Tachyon Beam requires you to go facing I believe 10 seconds out of every 30, that means that for at least 12 seconds of every 30 you're out of your max DPS arc. This is why the DBB/turret thing is so popular, it allows you to stick with the max DPS arc while using your abilities. I always used to do single cannon/turret myself, with one torp, until the Vesta came out.

Good advice on the weapons, I've always found myself more effective in a sci ship running either 2X DBB or 2X single cannons with a torpedo.
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for the late response, and thank you for the posts.

Chroniton Torp was cheap and Photon Torp was with the Nadeon Detonator. The whole build except the weapons was cheap. :)

I forgot that I had some toys in the bank, so I broke them out, for testing.
    Bio-Neural warhead replaced the Chroniton torp.
    Isometric Charge replaced the Nadeon Detonator.
    Tricobalt replaced the Photon torp.
    I also had 2xDBB so am trying that out as well.

Aux2SiF was replace by EPtS2.
    I really don't want another GW build. :) which is why I went with Photonic Shockwave this time.
    Still not sure on how well Tachyon Beam is helping out...

on Doffs, not sure what I would want there yet...

I thought about using cannons/turrets, but decided to use beams/torps instead.
    Although, If I don't want torps, I have considered;
    fore: 2x cannon, 1xDBB
    aft: 2x turrets, 1xBA

I think that I replied to everything. If not, just let me know. :)
    Thank You for the advice and further suggetsions are welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    intrepid74656intrepid74656 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here is my sci toons Intrepid:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dominionintrepid_0
    As you can see I run the Jem'Hadar set for that little extra DPS it gives + the deflector boosts most sci skills.

For doffs I have:
    1x very rare Projectile Weapons Officer
    1x rare Warp Core Eng
    2x very rare Deflector Officer
    1x rare Deflector Officer

My general strategy for PvE is to fly towards a group of enemies and pick out the strongest, fire ES1, VM1, SubNuc. When done approach enemies till you hit the 4km, then activate the AntiProton Sweep, GW3, Evasive Maneuvers 3, Vent Theta Radiation and fly straight through the packed group. Next activate TT1, BFaW2 and broadside till the warp core explosions take over. Then it's just rinse and repeat :)

And I used to run 2DBB + torps + turrets, but it got boring fitting each ship with cannons + turrets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]