test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fixing the Galaxy Class

nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Federation Discussion
Been a lot of threads lately about the Galaxy class since the release of the Support Cruiser and Fleet Support Cruiser which are in many ways superior to the Galaxy class. This has reignite a fire under the bums of those who love the Galaxy class. I myself am a fan of the Galaxy class (not in the game, but in general). It's never really bothered me much that the ship is terrible since there are quite a few other ships I like so I simply fly one of them. Still all the threads lately got me thinking about how the ship should be or could be to make it actually worth using. I would like to bring your attention to the Exploration Cruiser Refit or Venture class. When you reach Captain this ship is actually great and useful. Here is the layout for those who don't know it off the top of their heads.

Bridge Officer Stations:
Lt Tac
Lt Eng
Cmd Eng
En Sci
Lt Sci

Consoles:
Engineering: 3
Science: 3
Tactical: 2

Maneuverability:
Turn Rate: 6
Inertia rating: 25

As you can see it's a rather balanced vessel. Both the bridge officer stations and consoles are good (at the captain lvl). Unfortunately, for some reason rather then continue with this layout the devs decided to go with the following for the VA and Fleet versions.

Bridge Officer Stations:
Lt Tac
LtCmd Eng
Cmd Eng
En En
Lt Sci

Consoles:
Engineering: 4 (5 - fleet)

Maneuverability:
Unchanged

As you can see they decided to go against the rather balanced layout of the venture and lean heavy on engineering. This is unfortunate, because in all honesty with only a single Cmd Engineering station you can tank very well and with a second Lt Engineering station you can basically tank anything all day long. So this over abundance of engineering stations and consoles in combination with it's horrid maneuverability have basically left the ship as little more then a pretty garbage scow. Here's the layout I would have preferred personally, which is based on the Venture layout.

Bridge Officer Stations:
LtCmd Tac
Lt Eng
Cmd Eng
En Sci
Lt Sci

Consoles:
Engineering: (4 - Fleet)
Tactical: (3 VA & Fleet)

Maneuverability:

Note: I'd prefer the Turn rate be bumped up to 7 or the inertia rating to 35 (or both) since this brick is really no fun to fly, but the ship would still be worth while without messing with its maneuverability if its console and bridge officer layout issues were rectified.

Ok lets look at the Bridge Officer stations. Firstly a LtCmd tac. This would give the ship access to some actual tactical abilities. I realize this might step on the Excelsior crowds fingers, but you must also remember that the Galaxy is a brick. So no cannon builds here and even with beams the Excelsior would be superior because it's easier to maneuver into an advantageous position not to mention it has 4 tactical consoles to the 3 I suggest. The other change is to the ensign engineering slot which, like the venture, I made a science station. This gives the ship a little science lean, but doesn't infringe on the Support Cruiser which has access to LtCmder level science skills making the layout somewhat unique when compared to the other cruisers available. I don't feel this is OP in any way, but it would make the Galaxy class something worth flying again (and without stepping on the other cruisers). As it is right now the ship is, in all honesty, a joke and useless in most roles. I'm curious to what other people have in mind that would ?Fix? the Galaxy class ? without going op overboard that is. :)
Tza0PEl.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I personally think this is an excellent idea. So will many others. But rest assured, your thread will quickly be hijacked by people who will repeat ad-infinitum the same bad arguments that have been refuted hundreds of times already that the Galaxy class is fine because it's an exploration ship, etc.
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think they should fix the Galaxy, I'd probably fly it if they did... but I think the layout you suggested at the end of your post would be better suited to the Galaxy Dreadnaught.

I think if you replace the swap the Lt Sci and the LtC Tac in yours it would suit the galaxy more and make it a good tank and heal ship and then give your original lay out to the Galaxy-X and make it a good ship with the lance.
    7NGGeUP.png

• mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think they should fix the Galaxy, I'd probably fly it if they did... but I think the layout you suggested at the end of your post would be better suited to the Galaxy Dreadnaught.

I think if you replace the swap the Lt Sci and the LtC Tac in yours it would suit the galaxy more and make it a good tank and heal ship and then give your original lay out to the Galaxy-X and make it a good ship with the lance.

The gal x needs at least 4 tac consoles so it is a dreadnought and not what my bop like to call "dreadnouful... pop"

I like that setup the extra firepower would be nice, however i think a bump in turn rate wouldn't be too much to ask to be honest

I fly my galaxy dragon style(125 weapon and shield power) with a tac officer and although I can do my job in ESTF's and do plenty of dps to get any job done(neghvars,cubes,tac cubes,gates,donatra) it's always a chew on getting mobile

But I persevere due to the fact when this thing is firing phasers it just personifys Star Trek sad i know but I have all my kilnks to actually play the game properly(pvp and such)

But this will just fall on deaf ears because as we know nothing gets fixed around here just new stuff added which is a shame as the old girl needs some help
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    well after looking at the smurf ship i finally got it. The Galaxy is too iconic to be good.

Too many people want to play it. If it had reasonably good stats, they would never buy any other ship. Sure the advanced fleet *insert cryptics design* cruiser is better, but i get to fly a galaxy and can still compete. It would be bad for their bottom line. So don't get your hopes up for a useful galaxy class in STO. Its crapiness is working as intended.

• dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    havam wrote: »
    well after looking at the smurf ship i finally got it. The Galaxy is too iconic to be good.

Too many people want to play it. If it had reasonably good stats, they would never buy any other ship. Sure the advanced fleet *insert cryptics design* cruiser is better, but i get to fly a galaxy and can still compete. It would be bad for their bottom line. So don't get your hopes up for a useful galaxy class in STO. Its crapiness is working as intended.

Go away :P
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2013
    Cmdr tac
    Cmdr eng
    Cmdr Sci

4 tac consoles
    3 eng consoles
    3 Sci consoles

That should be the fleet version of the galaxy with no other changes
    It would be flexable but no overpowered it would be a fun ship to fly

As it is right now..........Its garbage
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Cmdr tac
    Cmdr eng
    Cmdr Sci

4 tac consoles
    3 eng consoles
    3 Sci consoles

:|

/10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Cmdr tac
    Cmdr eng
    Cmdr Sci

4 tac consoles
    3 eng consoles
    3 Sci consoles

I can tell you have put as much thought into this as I have...
    Tza0PEl.png
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What I feel a lot of people seem to not realize is that the three iconic Fed ships of the TNG era: Intrepid, Galaxy, and Defiant, are meant to be the...pure ships of their class. As such, they are probably never going to get changed accordingly. The Defiant will always have 8 tac BOFF abilities, the Galaxy 8 eng, and the Intrepid 8 sci.

It's worth noting that all three as well get 5 consoles in their respective area at the Fleet level too.

Because of that, I don't believe they will ever change the BOFF layouts of those three ships.

Now the Gal-X, especially a Fleet version, I could totally see getting a better BOFF layout.

The Gal-R, I wouldn't mind seeing some enhancements to. I probably wouldn't fly it personally, but it doesn't mean others wouldn't. Anywho, another in-direct solution is also that we need more Ensign level BOFF (and engineering ones in general) abilities that DON'T share so many blasted cooldowns with each other. Those things alone act as a big hit on the effectiveness, and if there were less shared cooldowns, and/or more abilities, it'd go a long way right there.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    What I feel a lot of people seem to not realize is that the three iconic Fed ships of the TNG era: Intrepid, Galaxy, and Defiant, are meant to be the...pure ships of their class. As such, they are probably never going to get changed accordingly. The Defiant will always have 8 tac BOFF abilities, the Galaxy 8 eng, and the Intrepid 8 sci.

It's worth noting that all three as well get 5 consoles in their respective area at the Fleet level too.

Because of that, I don't believe they will ever change the BOFF layouts of those three ships.

Now the Gal-X, especially a Fleet version, I could totally see getting a better BOFF layout.

The Gal-R, I wouldn't mind seeing some enhancements to. I probably wouldn't fly it personally, but it doesn't mean others wouldn't. Anywho, another in-direct solution is also that we need more Ensign level BOFF (and engineering ones in general) abilities that DON'T share so many blasted cooldowns with each other. Those things alone act as a big hit on the effectiveness, and if there were less shared cooldowns, and/or more abilities, it'd go a long way right there.

That's all fair enough. But why did the negh var get universal ensign then ? it should be a 8 engineering ship too.

The problem generally is not with the heavy engineering setup, or the console setup, but what you get out of it.
    • Cryptic severely underestimates the value of turn rate in their ship stat budgets
    • Cryptic severaly overestimates the value of hps in their ship stat budgets
    • Beams sucks in general, and galaxy can not mount something else effectively
    • Torpedoes sucks for Galaxy, it goes exactly against the spirit of STO beam broadside
    • There is only handful useable engineering abilities, other sucks, or share same subsystem
    • Generally engineering consoles sucks (except for armor) and that leads to these slots being used as dump ones for universal consoles

This all pushes the Galaxy to place where it is...in the place where the sun does not shine
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Been a lot of threads lately about the Galaxy class since the release of the Support Cruiser and Fleet Support Cruiser which are in many ways superior to the Galaxy class. This has reignite a fire under the bums of those who love the Galaxy class. I myself am a fan of the Galaxy class (not in the game, but in general). It's never really bothered me much that the ship is terrible since there are quite a few other ships I like so I simply fly one of them. Still all the threads lately got me thinking about how the ship should be or could be to make it actually worth using. I would like to bring your attention to the Exploration Cruiser Refit or Venture class. When you reach Captain this ship is actually great and useful. Here is the layout for those who don't know it off the top of their heads.

Bridge Officer Stations:
    Lt Tac
    Lt Eng
    Cmd Eng
    En Sci
    Lt Sci

Consoles:
    Engineering: 3

Maneuverability:

As you can see it's a rather balanced vessel. Both the bridge officer stations and consoles are good (at the captain lvl). Unfortunately, for some reason rather then continue with this layout the devs decided to go with the following for the VA and Fleet versions.

Bridge Officer Stations:
    Lt Tac
    LtCmd Eng
    Cmd Eng
    En En
    Lt Sci

Consoles:
    Engineering: 4 (5 - fleet)

Maneuverability:
    Unchanged

As you can see they decided to go against the rather balanced layout of the venture and lean heavy on engineering. This is unfortunate, because in all honesty with only a single Cmd Engineering station you can tank very well and with a second Lt Engineering station you can basically tank anything all day long. So this over abundance of engineering stations and consoles in combination with it's horrid maneuverability have basically left the ship as little more then a pretty garbage scow. Here's the layout I would have preferred personally, which is based on the Venture layout.

Bridge Officer Stations:
    LtCmd Tac
    Lt Eng
    Cmd Eng
    En Sci
    Lt Sci

Consoles:

Maneuverability:

Note: I'd prefer the Turn rate be bumped up to 7 or the inertia rating to 35 (or both) since this brick is really no fun to fly, but the ship would still be worth while without messing with its maneuverability if its console and bridge officer layout issues were rectified.

Ok lets look at the Bridge Officer stations. Firstly a LtCmd tac. This would give the ship access to some actual tactical abilities. I realize this might step on the Excelsior crowds fingers, but you must also remember that the Galaxy is a brick. So no cannon builds here and even with beams the Excelsior would be superior because it's easier to maneuver into an advantageous position not to mention it has 4 tactical consoles to the 3 I suggest. The other change is to the ensign engineering slot which, like the venture, I made a science station. This gives the ship a little science lean, but doesn't infringe on the Support Cruiser which has access to LtCmder level science skills making the layout somewhat unique when compared to the other cruisers available. I don't feel this is OP in any way, but it would make the Galaxy class something worth flying again (and without stepping on the other cruisers). As it is right now the ship is, in all honesty, a joke and useless in most roles. I'm curious to what other people have in mind that would ?Fix? the Galaxy class ? without going op overboard that is. :)

They didn't go against it, the Venture is a lot newer that the Galaxy-R, so it is the Venture that bucks the trend.

Still, I know what you mean. I love my Bellerophon at T4, with its stronger Eng focus; but just applying the skin to the super Sci specialized Intrepid-R at T5 is... unsatisfying.
    edited February 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »

This is mostly true, except that the Fleet Intrepid gets a 3/4/3 console layout. The Fleet Galaxy should have received something similar -- 2 Tac console slots is kind of pathetic, honestly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eraserfisheraserfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »
    This is mostly true, except that the Fleet Intrepid gets a 3/4/3 console layout. The Fleet Galaxy should have received something similar -- 2 Tac console slots is kind of pathetic, honestly.

For what it's worth though, Fleet Exploration Cruiser gets 5 Engineering consoles.
    edited February 2013
    eraserfish wrote: »
    For what it's worth though, Fleet Exploration Cruiser gets 5 Engineering consoles.

Exactly. 5 Engineering consoles with just 2 Tactical consoles is a little weak. It should have 4 Engineering and 3 Tac consoles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Exactly. 5 Engineering consoles with just 2 Tactical consoles is a little weak. It should have 4 Engineering and 3 Tac consoles.

Why not 5 Engi, 3 Tac and 1 Sci?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't fly the Galaxy myself, but I have been using the Galaxy-X with some pretty good success. If you really compare the two, it's virtually the same, with the Galaxy-X having more of a Tactical advantage, and the Galaxy having more Engineering.

I have also been doing quite a bit of PvP with the X, and although it's not the best healer in the world, it does hold it's own. I also have a Oddy Sci ship and honestly I prefer to fly the X in PvP more than I do the Oddy.

I've honestly learned a lot about how to set up the Galaxy X specifically thanks to the PvP Bootcamp, and reading countless threads on the boards. It took a lot of tweaking, and spec changes, but in the end I think the Galaxy-X is the best cruiser.

Having said that I think it could use some slight tweaking, after all the Excelsior and Ambassador are both RA level ships, and can do better than the VA level counterparts. I'd be really interested in seeing a Galaxy-X Fleet variant, with say 4 tactical consoles, 2 Sci, and 4 Engineering, along with a bump in Hull to either equal or better the Oddy/Ambassador. I do remember in one of the podcasts that Al was talking about the Fleet Galaxy-X possibly coming to the fleet store, so it may be a pipe dream that's not that far off. Also if they ever release the long since rumored Galaxy Pack, it could bring about some changes to both variants for the better.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • eraserfisheraserfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Well look at it this way: you could use those five Engineering consoles to stack a bunch of universals, and flesh it out with Plasma Manifolds.

=D
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Here's the layout I would have preferred personally, which is based on the Venture layout.

Bridge Officer Stations:
    LtCmd Tac
    Lt Eng
    Cmd Eng
    En Sci
    Lt Sci

Consoles:

Maneuverability:

Note: I'd prefer the Turn rate be bumped up to 7 or the inertia rating to 35 (or both) since this brick is really no fun to fly, but the ship would still be worth while without messing with its maneuverability if its console and bridge officer layout issues were rectified...

...As it is right now the ship is, in all honesty, a joke and useless in most roles. I'm curious to what other people have in mind that would ?Fix? the Galaxy class ? without going op overboard that is. :)

Hm... a tad too tactically oriented for an exploration cruiser. The only catch is that all the leaning BOff layouts have been taken. Tac oriented has gone to the Excel and Regent, Sci Oriented (which is what the Galaxy should have been in the first place) went to the Ambassador, and that left the Engi Oriented for the Galaxy. But you are correct, it's console layout is a travesty. It's BOff layout is not much better. In fact, it's BOff layout is probably one of the worst in the game (if not the outright worst). So no arguments here on that. My proposal for Galaxy stats though, you probably won't like it, but heck, you wanted ideas, so here goes:

Exploration Cruiser Refit

Hull: 40000
    Shield Mod: 1.0
    Turn Rate: 6.5
    Inertia: 20
    +5 Power to All Subsystems

Unique Console:
    Saucer Separation
    -10% Shields and -15% Hull
    +5 Additional Power to Weapons
    -5 Power to Shields
    -5 Power to Aux
    +6.5 Base Turn Rate
    +25 Inertia
    +10% Impulse Speed
    3 Minute Cooldown

Consoles:
    Engineering: 4

BOff Layout:
    Lt Tac
    Cmdr Engi
    LtCmdr Engi
    Lt Sci
    Ens Uni

So it has a little more diversity, but maintains it's lower tier damage. Possibly not what you were looking for, but it's certainly an improvement over before. That universal ensign slot also gives you a lot more variety than you think, since it then allows you to either imitate the star cruiser or assault cruiser in layout. However, I slightly increased the turn rate with a reduction in inertia. I also modified it's saucer separation to make it a tad more useful, mostly by decreasing cooldown. However, I think you'll like what I do with the fleet version.

Fleet Exploration Combat Cruiser Retrofit

Hull: 44000
    Shield Mod: 1.1
    Turn Rate: 6.5
    Inertia: 25
    +10 Power to Weapons
    +5 Power to Shields
    +5 Power to Aux
    Added Bonus: If ship takes damage for more than 2 minutes, gains an additional +5 power to Shields and Weapons, which are removed as soon as conditions return to normal (can't put it as is at red-alert, since you can keep a ship there by using HE and a few other abilities).

Console Layout:
    3 Tactical
    4 Engineering
    3 Science

BOff Layout:
    Lt Tactical
    Cmdr Engi
    LtCmdr Engi
    Lt Uni
    Ens Uni

Saucer Sep Change:
    -10% Shields, -15% Hull
    +10 (yes, 10) Power to Weapons
    No Loss in Shield or Auxiliary Power
    +7 Turn Rate
    +30 Inertia
    +15% Impulse Speed
    2.5 minute cooldown

Reasoning:
    Time of war, make it a COMBAT retrofit. Slight increase in inertia with the removal of a lot of extraneous TRIBBLE from the saucer, hull and shield increase due to FLEET version, and a slight re-allocation of power, again due to a combat oriented retrofit. The added bonus is again for combat reasons, if the ship is under fire long enough, it can change things with itself to make it more durable and be able to fight back harder (but not enough to make it OP). Console layout is more balanced (got rid of that ANNOYING skew towards engineering), and it's BOff layout is still heavy on engineering, but has the two universal slots so you can do whatever you want with it (within reason). Also the change to Saucer sep is again due to it being a combat retrofit, so the no loss of power is mostly because it's EPS relays would be reinforced and modified to be more able to be flexible, while at the same time still giving the added weapons power. The increased turn rate is because the impulse engines on the retrofit are better, and the even greater inertia increase is again due to extraneous TRIBBLE being removed. Same reasoning for even greater impulse speed increase. The lowered CD is because the ship is more suited to doing this, and also to make it not such a pain in the rear for players to use.

Probably gonna get insta shot down, but my 2 ECs on the matter.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drudgy wrote: »
    I don't fly the Galaxy myself, but I have been using the Galaxy-X with some pretty good success. If you really compare the two, it's virtually the same, with the Galaxy-X having more of a Tactical advantage, and the Galaxy having more Engineering.

I have also been doing quite a bit of PvP with the X, and although it's not the best healer in the world, it does hold it's own. I also have a Oddy Sci ship and honestly I prefer to fly the X in PvP more than I do the Oddy.

I've honestly learned a lot about how to set up the Galaxy X specifically thanks to the PvP Bootcamp, and reading countless threads on the boards. It took a lot of tweaking, and spec changes, but in the end I think the Galaxy-X is the best cruiser.

Having said that I think it could use some slight tweaking, after all the Excelsior and Ambassador are both RA level ships, and can do better than the VA level counterparts. I'd be really interested in seeing a Galaxy-X Fleet variant, with say 4 tactical consoles, 2 Sci, and 4 Engineering, along with a bump in Hull to either equal or better the Oddy/Ambassador. I do remember in one of the podcasts that Al was talking about the Fleet Galaxy-X possibly coming to the fleet store, so it may be a pipe dream that's not that far off. Also if they ever release the long since rumored Galaxy Pack, it could bring about some changes to both variants for the better.

I'd like to compare your setup for the Galaxy-X sometime. I'm a proud owner of one for a long time, and would like to learn how you decided to set up yours.

A Galaxy-X Fleet variant would be most welcome, as well.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • dan6526dan6526 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the Gal-R got the layout mostly because way back then, the Sovereign had Lt Tac and En Tac, and the Star Cruiser (aka Shovel-head) had Lt Sci and En Sci. The only other layout out there would be an over the top Engineer build.

Really, a Cmdr Eng, LtCmdr Eng, and En Eng wouldn't be bad if there were non-tanky powers at the Ensign level. Engineer powers are weak in regards to diversity. THATs the Galaxy's real problem.

Honestly, I don't think the Fleet Gal-R needs a LtCmdr Tac, that is an out with no end. Sovereign-R has Tac more covered than the Excel-R now. Sci is possible if it takes it further than the Support-R like the Sovereign-R.

SUGGESTED
    SOVY-R
    Cmdr Engineer
    Cmdr Engineer
    LtCmdr Sci
    LtCmdr Tac
    Ensign Sci
    Ensign Tac
    Lt Eng
    Lt Eng
    Lt Tac
    Lt Sci

This build would bring it more in line with the Captain Galaxy too TBH.

But I'm not sure I like that idea either. I want Cryptic to add more buffing powers that work on the team that perhaps not heal for once or add a wider array of powers in general to the Engineer skill set. That will make the Gal-R playable.
  • helpdeskmanhelpdeskman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dan6526 wrote: »
    I think the Gal-R got the layout mostly because way back then, the Sovereign had Lt Tac and En Tac, and the Star Cruiser (aka Shovel-head) had Lt Sci and En Sci. The only other layout out there would be an over the top Engineer build.

Really, a Cmdr Eng, LtCmdr Eng, and En Eng wouldn't be bad if there were non-tanky powers at the Ensign level. Engineer powers are weak in regards to diversity. THATs the Galaxy's real problem.

Honestly, I don't think the Fleet Gal-R needs a LtCmdr Tac, that is an out with no end. Sovereign-R has Tac more covered than the Excel-R now. Sci is possible if it takes it further than the Support-R like the Sovereign-R.

SUGGESTED
    SOVY-R
    Cmdr Engineer
    Cmdr Engineer
    LtCmdr Sci
    LtCmdr Tac
    Ensign Sci
    Ensign Tac
    Lt Eng
    Lt Eng
    Lt Tac
    Lt Sci

This build would bring it more in line with the Captain Galaxy too TBH.

But I'm not sure I like that idea either. I want Cryptic to add more buffing powers that work on the team that perhaps not heal for once or add a wider array of powers in general to the Engineer skill set. That will make the Gal-R playable.

IMO Galaxy-R should have universal lt.commander since Galaxy imo been shown in tv-shows to be very versatile ship but IMO Excelsior, Ambassador and Galaxy shouldn't even be on par with Sovy unless they would clearly been said to be "Completely new ships using exterior design of original ships" since they are old ships...hell, even Galaxy is 50 years old by STO. Same goes with Defiant and all older designs but devs have to put them in game because players demand the familiar ships.
  • row124row124 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I love all the ideas. Yes to all of them. Now if the devs would actually make it this would be amazing and would solve the Galaxy Class problem once and for all.
  • nataku302nataku302 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This should have been the layout of the Fleet galaxy class I guess.

Boff layout:
    Cmd Eng
    LT cmd Tac
    LT Eng
    LT sci
    En Tac

Console layout:
    4 eng
    3 tac
    3 sci

If we get a rank increase to general which I'm guess will be the last tier so tier 6 ships then they can really fix the galaxy class such as giving it 5 fore weapons and 5 aft weapons.

Boff layout:
    Cmd Eng
    Cmd Tac
    LT cmd Eng
    LT Tac
    LT sci

console layout:
    5 eng
    4 tac
    4 sci

and since some science and tac ships have hangers, give the galaxy 3 universal console slots for saucer sep, anti matter spread and some other console.

I know this is broken but I can really see this happening
  • vexashenvexashen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only argument for the galaxy being even close to on par with the sovereign for damage is that the galaxy was modular. During the dominion war it ran duty as a carrier with most of the saucer cleared out of crew quarters for hanger space. Using the same approach it could possibly be geared out to be a very tactical heavy ship. But it would lose engineering and science abilities to do that.

Also... why do we have yet another thread on this topic?
    The ORIGINAL SERIES VETERANS www.Tosfleet.com
    [SIGPIC]http://file3.guildlaunch.net/205090/DVhexishensig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Cruisers with mk x common in infected elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82PqoFFxjc
    Cruisers with good gear in infected elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMnFljZD9m8
    Soloing Infected Elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEFICFx4E8&feature=youtu.be
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I still think this dontdrunkimshoots enhanced exploration cruiser retrofit 3 pack would be the best sollution for the Galaxy Class problem in STO.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • vexashenvexashen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im not sure I agree with his console ideas but the boff layouts look solid
    The ORIGINAL SERIES VETERANS www.Tosfleet.com
    [SIGPIC]http://file3.guildlaunch.net/205090/DVhexishensig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Cruisers with mk x common in infected elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82PqoFFxjc
    Cruisers with good gear in infected elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMnFljZD9m8
    Soloing Infected Elite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEFICFx4E8&feature=youtu.be
    edited March 2013
    vexashen wrote: »
    Im not sure I agree with his console ideas but the boff layouts look solid
    If comparable unpopular ships like the Vesta or the Andorian ship can be made this good by Cryptic, then i think a iconic and popular ship like the Galaxy Class NEEDS to be made better than it is now.

If the devs where fans of the Galaxy Class, they surely would add similar consoles to the ship.
    But in my opinion the 3 ship pack is the bare minimum in order to make the Galaxy Class as it should be. Everything else would be just a hypocritical try to calm the fans.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    how about just taking the Fleet Nebulas boff layout and tweaking it like this

Lt Uni
    Lt Tact
    Lt cmd Sci
    Cmd Eng
    Ens Sci

So all you are doing is switching the Cmd Sci and Lt Cmd Eng stations around.

But giving it this console layout

4 Eng
    3 Sci
    3 Tact

Turn Rate increase to 7.

Sorted ship won't be overpowered but what it will allow you to do is to be alot more flexible in the builds which the Galaxy should be. Not a master of 1 trade but a jack of all
    edited March 2013
    how about just taking the Fleet Nebulas boff layout and tweaking it like this

Lt Uni
    Lt Tact
    Lt cmd Sci
    Cmd Eng
    Ens Sci (i would make it an engineer)

So all you are doing is switching the Cmd Sci and Lt Cmd Eng stations around.

But giving it this console layout

4 Eng
    3 Sci
    3 Tact

Turn Rate increase to 7.

Sorted ship won't be overpowered but what it will allow you to do is to be alot more flexible in the builds which the Galaxy should be. Not a master of 1 trade but a jack of all
    Looks much better than the BOFF&Console layout we have now.
    I would change the Ensign Science into a Engineer in order to make the Galaxy a real Engineering counterpart to the Nebula.

Additionally i think it wouldn't hurt the Galaxy Class to get a unique ability for a Exploration Cruiser and as counterpart to the Nebula, i think it should get the Ability "Sensor Analysis" too.

A tale of two Picards
  • alphawolf001alphawolf001 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    agreed

a simple boff layout change and 1 point more turn would be excellent. The fleet galaxy should have the universal slot option, and maybe a slight shield mod boost over the Galaxy-R. as for consoles more than enough ingame already lol

as for seperation mode its part of the ship=no sep console
    Galaxy-X= no cloak console
    reasons for the above statements: klingon ships dont have cloak consoles
    p.s.
    defiant=no cloak console