test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphics Settings issues (Feb 14th patch)

suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
Right, so, as I've already reported on the Tribble forums several days ago, the newest patch broke something in the video settings. Some people claim they've already experienced similar issues on Holodeck earlier, but at least for me this one was introduced with today's patch. So here's the problem I personally am now experiencing:

- Enabling any kind of antialiasing automatically disables many additional visual effects, such as SSAO, Depth of Field, Underwater View, Soft Particles, and lowers Bloom Quality to Low.
- Tooltip states that it's the GPU/Driver fault, even though it all worked worked fine before the patch.
- Disabling Antialiasing allows me to enable all these options, but naturally makes the game jaggy.
- I CANNOT force antialiasing through the Nvidia Control Panel at all.
- Additional problems include extreme lag and slowdowns when using any kind of slider in the video settings, even in the case of something as simple as the brightness.

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3 with Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX and newest official nvidia drivers (310.90). So no DX11 or anything. Didn't have any issues like that since about two years of using current hardware and software.

A dev already replied that they're looking into this but this may take a while... They've also added a note in the patch notes under Known Issues - "Some players may experience difficulty changing their graphics settings."

Anyone else experiencing similar issues is encouraged to post specifics or possible workarounds. Let's hope we won't have to wait too long for Cryptic to fix this...
PyKDqad.jpg
Post edited by suaveks on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have my framerate locked at 30 since my GPU is TRIBBLE, but this patch keeps shutting it off, letting it run high.

Be sure your framerate is locked at whatever settings you usually use if you limit the framerate while you play. I'm not losing another GPU because of Cryptic's incompetence.
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well i had this issue even before the current patch. It usually wil resolve itself randomly, though i also tried changing the options in the login screen.

What i noticed is, that i am only able to activate everythign at once, once i switch to DX 11 mode (and restart the game afterwards). The only problem is, if the game decides to randomly lock the bloom quality (when i activate AA) then the option to switch to DX 11 mode disappears under the "Troubleshooting" sub-menu. So again it becomes totally random if or when i am able to set my graphic settngs appropriately.

DXdiag: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=fDj9TkW1
    Edit: Since dxdiag only seems to list my integrated graphics card .... :
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 670M with driver version 310.70 WHQL
  • saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Great Cryptic, what did you do to the holodeck patch? I don't even have in game AA on and I now have level 7 texture reduction due to over max vram! I hopped over to tribble and at least I can set the in game AA to 2x and still maintain my texture despite not being able to use the nvidia control panel to force AA. And to think my AA and textures in holodeck was just fine last night.

This is now what I have to look at, absolutely ugly!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/artika7272/textureproblem_zps50a33979.png

In DX11 mode using win 7 64bit/core i7 2600K @ 4GHz/8GB memory/2 x nvidia GTX 580 (3GB vram on each card) using nvidia driver 310.64
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
    Come Visit the 44th Fleet
  • alexqueenstownalexqueenstown Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My settings seem to be staying the same but all the uniforms are blurry and look lame.
    Haven't played with the settings yet to see if I can fix it (just came back to the game after a few months so too busy playing).
  • mbp101287mbp101287 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My settings seem to like to change themselves randomly. I have found I can change them back to what they are supposed to be by resizing the window a small amount. It seems to sort of reset the graphics engine.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I haven't had the chance to check to really check things out since the latest patch. This game is boring the TRIBBLE out of me with grind after grind. I should be able to get in some PvP or at least run a mission or two this afternoon. I have all options open to me in the graphical settings under DX11 (haven't checked DX9). My video card is an Radeon 7950 3GB and can run the Crysis 3 open multiplayer beta on full at 1920X1200 with the Catalyst 13.2 beta drivers.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Loading screens gives me a fps of 460.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    Right, so, as I've already reported on the Tribble forums several days ago, the newest patch broke something in the video settings. Some people claim they've already experienced similar issues on Holodeck earlier, but at least for me this one was introduced with today's patch. So here's the problem I personally am now experiencing:

- Enabling any kind of antialiasing automatically disables many additional visual effects, such as SSAO, Depth of Field, Underwater View, Soft Particles, and lowers Bloom Quality to Low.
    - Tooltip states that it's the GPU/Driver fault, even though it all worked worked fine before the patch.
    - Disabling Antialiasing allows me to enable all these options, but naturally makes the game jaggy.
    - I CANNOT force antialiasing through the Nvidia Control Panel at all.
    - Additional problems include extreme lag and slowdowns when using any kind of slider in the video settings, even in the case of something as simple as the brightness.

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3 with Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX and newest official nvidia drivers (310.90). So no DX11 or anything. Didn't have any issues like that since about two years of using current hardware and software.

A dev already replied that they're looking into this but this may take a while... They've also added a note in the patch notes under Known Issues - "Some players may experience difficulty changing their graphics settings."

Anyone else experiencing similar issues is encouraged to post specifics or possible workarounds. Let's hope we won't have to wait too long for Cryptic to fix this...

Hey suaveks new nvidia drivers fresh off the tree branch..here is a direct link to the thread with the links (last post atm):

Nvidia 314.07 WHQL

Lemme know if they at least mitgate some issues. you can pm me directly anytime via @xTH3xR34P3Rx when connected to the sto chat servers.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    no issues for me and my GTX460 and those settings, have you considered it might be the Antique OS your running that has all but been abandoned. Corprate America is ditching it in droves finally so your going to keep getting issues running XP these days. Is there a reason you continue to run that OS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The latest tribble patch has fixed the AA issue for me. It's even in the patch notes.

Still, it is difficult to change anything through a slider, like bloom or brightness - the moment I use it the game freezes, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for even a minute or so.

As for the OS - it's still supported for the most part and I didn't have any issues with it aside from a couple of games that simply do not work on it. So no reason for me to change it "just because", especially since 7 or 8 are not cheap. I'm not one of those people who change/fix something that works.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • spork87spork87 Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    The latest tribble patch has fixed the AA issue for me. It's even in the patch notes.

Still, it is difficult to change anything through a slider, like bloom or brightness - the moment I use it the game freezes, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for even a minute or so.

As for the OS - it's still supported for the most part and I didn't have any issues with it aside from a couple of games that simply do not work on it. So no reason for me to change it "just because", especially since 7 or 8 are not cheap. I'm not one of those people who change/fix something that works.

Its not about if it ain't broke don't fix it. Its more of its an 11 year old operating system getting minimal support from companies with support dead in a year. It lacks support for modern ram sizes, hardware features, and driver support. The most used is is now 7 with XP quickly falling. Take it from a professional XP is no longer viable
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jittojitto Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have an issue with the graphics in the game on my laptop. The graphics look washed out on my computer. I don't know how to fix this issue. I am using Steam to play the game. For example, while loading the game there are some areas in the loading screen that are green and not displaying the correct colour for space. How do I fix this?
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jitto wrote: »
    I have an issue with the graphics in the game on my laptop. The graphics look washed out on my computer. I don't know how to fix this issue. I am using Steam to play the game. For example, while loading the game there are some areas in the loading screen that are green and not displaying the correct colour for space. How do I fix this?

Could you please list your system specification and which graphics driver your using.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • pipesofcndpipesofcnd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hello all! I am encountering a very similar problem as several of the above posters. I've recently bought a new gaming laptop an MSI GT70 0ND-445US.

The laptop switches between the on board video and the discrete videocard in an effort to keep heat down and improve battery life.

After the game loads it 'auto detects' the video card and only sees the on board video card and sets everything to the lowest settings. When I go to set them back to my preferred settings, several of the option are not available (depth of field etc etc) citing 'GPU not available' or something similar.

I load the game through steam. I have tried to set the file preferences of the executable to execute with Nvidia Geforce. This doesn't seem to effect the games auto-detection.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Rig Specs
    CPU i7 3630QM Processor
    OS Windows 8
    Memory 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics nVIDIA Geforce GTX675M 3D Graphic Card
    Graphics VRAM 2GB GDDR5
  • brehusbrehus Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been having the problem with full screen mode myself if I play the game in full screen mode the colors are washed out and the screen is really bright I have to take the brightness down to like 45 -50 just fixed the brightness, but the game still looks really bad.

If I run the game in windowed maximize mode the game looks 100 times better the colors are rich not washed out and brightness is just right. Anyone else had this problem before?

Intel i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB
    8GB DDR3