test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

varanus or Vo'quv?

kb21kb21 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Klingon Discussion
I am a Sci Officer and I like survivability and this past week I got 50 worth of zen and bought the ship with bio warhead and the theta radiation vent and decided to try an actual science ship out for a change of pace and grabbed the varanus.

I love the Vo'quv because it is survivable, it has decent dps, but the thing turns like a beached whale even with aux damps and evasive maneuvers going.

I love the Varanus because its equally survivable thanks to the repair drones (being healed from 11% hull to 100% hull in under 10 seconds in an elite stf is awesome) but with my current layout I just dont know if it justifies a spot in elites, even with the healing it can do with just the dual beam up front and no hangar pets. (I have trouble keeping the probes down on the elite khitomer vortex... none get past me but I have to keep it in reverse pretty much whole time to keep up with the incoming pods.)

My current layout with varanus is db phaser up front with bio warhead and quantum and all phas turrets in back (I use grav well a pretty much on cool down as my main dps ability with sensor scan), the Vo'quv has a single brelth and other bay is brel weap layout is pretty much same except that it runs a dhc up front.

The reason I am asking opinions on this now is I just reached the point where I can now buy fleet weaps and such to put on these beasts and its going to take me a while to get the funds to do so, so want to make sure I do what is going to be best overall.

And yes I have unlocked the kar'fi but no fleet version of it and I dont like the way it looks and sounds.
Post edited by kb21 on

Comments

• mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Don't use phasers, disruptors are better for both ships

Drop the quantum put single cannons up front - unless your running some sort of shield stripping ability two torps aren't good

But if you want to stick with beams then that's fine but your going to need beam overload or bfaw

In Both ships grav well and tractors should make light work of probes If not your specced wrong

For multiple targets slavers are better due to mines and beams bird of prey can't be beaten on slow moving big targets
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • kb21kb21 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if I use cannon, I lose subsytem targeting on the varanus... thats why I had chose the dual beam, the vo'quv does use dual heavy cannon and I think they are disruptors too, my next dil purchase was to be slavers for the vo'quv but after getting varanus I just wasnt sure that vo'quv was the way to go anymore.

If I drop the quantum up front that just leaves the bio warhead and thats a 1 min cooldown but I suppose that if I went back to the vo'quv I would gain the bop torps to replace my quantums.

I guess my main question is, is it worth giving up the hangar pets to gain the repair drones, or give up repair drones for the hangars?
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Don't forget there's a new mirror universe Vo'Quv you can get for Ec from the exchange, similar to the normal Vo'Quv with the exception of a Lt Engy slot instead of a Lt Sci slot.

I haven't had much experiance with a Varanus, but I can say a Vo'Quv fielding Adv BoPs or Elite Scorpions can pack quite the punch, the thing to remember on carriers in my opinion is that you don't really need torps on your ship as with the right pets you don't need them. 6x beam arrays or single cannon/turrets can work too although I'd always choose beam arrays for SST and broadside coverage.

I can say to you you will not find anymore dps on unshielded targets or cubes via ABOPS and survivability wise it is unmatched

Its speed is a big factor to effect your decision it doesn't bother me as I prefer the "Capital" ship style of play

Small single targets were always a problem for me too stuff like gates and tac cubes no problem but like I say I use my science to do the work plus target subs engines 1 is guaranteed to work on small stuff
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool: