test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Okay...So I LIKE Plasma...

ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Yep. Seeking advice. There are some very smart people in this community...and although I have played since beta and am a lifetime subscriber, I know for a fact that I do not know everything that there is to know about this game...on top of that...I am coming back to the game after an extended absence, so I thought I would ask for advice.

I am in a Fleet Vorcha -- I am a LTG Engineer. I am working towards optimizing my fleet Vorcha as a plasma rig...below are my current stats, as well as what I am attempting to achieve...what I am asking is if I am missing anything obvious...oh - -and I mostly PvE -- I used to PvP a lot...but sort of stopped once the reputation system kicked in...now I mostly grind for reputation with Romulan and Omega.

Yes...I know that Plasma may not be the most efficient weapon set out there...yes, I know that Quantums do more damage than Plasma torps (or so I have heard), especially on burst...but anyone who has seen The Old Series "Balance of Terror" and saw that expanding ball of plasma as it engulfs the Enterprise and ruins Kirk's day...well...yep. It is a preference.

Here is my current setup -- it is focused more towards damage...but has a fair degree of survivability as well (I think):

Weapons loadout
Fore: Plasma Beam Array Mk XII x3, Plasma Torp Launcher Mk XII
Rear: Kinetic Cutting Beam, Plasma Beam Array Mk XII x 2, Plasma Torp Launcher Mk XII

Engines: Borg Assimilated.
Shield: KHG Mk XII
Deflector: KHG Mk XII

Consoles: Borg Universal (with Cutting Beam gives me the Borg Weapons bonus), Zero Point Energy Conduit (Plasma Set), Isometric, Plasmatic Leech, RSC Accelerator Mk XI, Field Generator Mk XI x2, Plasma Infuser Mk XI x 3

BOFF Skills: Eject Warp Plasma III, Engineer Team 1 and 3, Transfer Shield Strength 1, Emergency Power to Structure 1, Emergency power to Shields 1, Torp High Yield 1 and 2, Torp Spread 2, Fire at Will 1, Beam Overload 3, Hazard Emitters 1.

Bonuses: KHG Set (2 pieces, Tactical Readiness), Borg Assimilated Weapons Set (2 pieces, Omega Weapons Amplifier).

Okay...what I am working towards:

Same as above...but switch out the forward weapons with a Romulan Hyper Plasma Torp and a Romulan Experimental Beam Array (that will give me the Romulan plasma set bonus, Plasma Conductive, and Plasma Hyperflux). Switch out the rear plasma torp with the Omega Plasma Torp (that will complete the Omega set, giving me Reactive Deflection). Replace the Borg Engine with a KHG Mk XII engine, completing the KHG set, and gaining those bonuses.

Now...questions...I favor the KHG set...but that is mostly because when I started collecting the pieces, it was the only one (besides MACO or Omega..can't remember which one was open to both feds and us) that we could get...since then, the fed set has opened up for us as well...is that superior to the KHG set?

Finally...what am I missing? Is there something obvious I should correct?

Thanks for your time. If any advice is forthcoming, I will enjoy reading it.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The +7.6% from the Romulan Harness 2pc - will only affect your directed energy weapon damage and the DEW DoTs. Won't affect DoTs from torps, mines, nor your EWP. Just something to keep in mind when you're looking at your damage down the road.

The 3x Plasma Infusers will provide +damage to your directed energy weapons, your DEW DoTs, your various Plasma Torp DoTs, the mine DoTs, and EWP. Won't affect the kinetic damage from the torps or mines. But Ambiplasmas that do affect the kinetic damage, only affect the PDoTs from your torps and mines - they don't affect EWP or DEW DoTs.

edit: Personally, I find that the above items - well, they make me frown. I'd rather that the 2pc affect everything like an Infuser. I also find it odd that an Infuser does what it does while an Amibplasma only does what it does...but that's neither here nor there in the end...just kind of disappointing.

Regarding the Field Gens, while they come up quite often in PvP discussions - have you ever really felt the need for them in PvE (Elite STFs)...? If not, you may want to consider the Romulan Threat-Scaling Science Consoles with the [Pla] modifier (+Plasma Damage (+PDoT for non-Plasma Energy Weapons)). Could be a case of looking at Particle Gens (+Dmg for your EWP as well as for your Iso Charge) or Emitters for your shields if you feel them to be a concern still.

If you've opened lockboxes on this particular toon or intend to at some point (various folks can argue the value of this) - at some point you may want to replace the RCS with the Tachyokinetic Converter (200 Lobi: +22.9% Turn, +17.2 Grav, +0.76% CrtH, +7.6% CrtD) which will give you some additional CrtH to go with the CrtH you're getting from the Borg and 0Point.

While they're pretty expensive, imho, down the road if you've got Dil just sitting around - you may also want to consider replacing the Plasma Beam Arrays with Romulan Plasma Beam Arrays. They'll add the 2.5% Disruptor Proc which can reduce the hull resistance of the target (which in turn boosts your PDoT/EWP damage even as the target's shields may still be up).

Along those lines, it may be a case of you wanting to test working Attack Pattern Beta into your BOFF layout for the damage resistance debuff it provides - increasing that hull damage. It also helps out the team since it's applied to the target (or targets, since you've got FAW and TS).

I might come back to this if I remember, haven't had my morning caffeine yet.

I might post both my Eng builds here - both are Plasma builds (Fed bounces around between a Chel Grett and Assault Cruiser (likely to be replaced by the Ambassador) and KDF bounces around between a Chel Grett and a Mirror Vor'cha (unlikely to be replaced by the Kamarag - just too damn squishy (-800 crew, -1000 hull, +0.5 turn is actually working out to be -1400 hull and +1.2 turn on that particular toon))...
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Get the plasma damage science consoles from the embassy and make sure they're the ones that reduce threat and buff particle generators so that iso charge will be stronger.

If you're flying a Vor'cha and you're using consoles to reduce your threat, then you're letting down your team by wasting your ship's tremendous durability.

Also, no true warrior runs from a fight. :D
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Are you sure the rommie 2pc doesn't affect plasma torp dots?

Plasma Energy consoles and the Rommie threat consoles most certainly do. I must admit I didn't think to check the 2pc.

Also, currently plasma is the best energy type for PvE if you can get some rommie threat consoles and the rommie set. PvP it is more viable then it has been, as well. If you have 3-4 sci slots to spend on rommie consoles you can push past the 20% reduction to plasma damage. Of course, they can still clear the DoT with hazard emitters but it is better then it was in the past.

If you aren't going to PvP plasma is a no-brainer, so have fun setting things on fire.

Edit: And while my ship doesn't take advantage of it, using THY on the Omega Plasma Torp is some fun times... I think you will enjoy it =P

Edit2: Also, the romulan plasma weapons are very nice. Disruptor is a strong proc, so getting it along with your plasma goodness is a double win.

Edit3: The "Adpatped KHG" (is that the name? I haven't checked, what Fed's call M.A.C.O.) is a tanky set. It will be a bit more defensive then your KHG, but at the cost of your offense.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    Yep. Seeking advice. There are some very smart people in this community...and although I have played since beta and am a lifetime subscriber, I know for a fact that I do not know everything that there is to know about this game...on top of that...I am coming back to the game after an extended absence, so I thought I would ask for advice.

I am in a Fleet Vorcha -- I am a LTG Engineer. I am working towards optimizing my fleet Vorcha as a plasma rig...below are my current stats, as well as what I am attempting to achieve...what I am asking is if I am missing anything obvious...oh - -and I mostly PvE -- I used to PvP a lot...but sort of stopped once the reputation system kicked in...now I mostly grind for reputation with Romulan and Omega.

Yes...I know that Plasma may not be the most efficient weapon set out there...yes, I know that Quantums do more damage than Plasma torps (or so I have heard), especially on burst...but anyone who has seen The Old Series "Balance of Terror" and saw that expanding ball of plasma as it engulfs the Enterprise and ruins Kirk's day...well...yep. It is a preference.

Here is my current setup -- it is focused more towards damage...but has a fair degree of survivability as well (I think):

Weapons loadout
    Fore: Plasma Beam Array Mk XII x3, Plasma Torp Launcher Mk XII
    Rear: Kinetic Cutting Beam, Plasma Beam Array Mk XII x 2, Plasma Torp Launcher Mk XII

Engines: Borg Assimilated.
    Shield: KHG Mk XII
    Deflector: KHG Mk XII

Consoles: Borg Universal (with Cutting Beam gives me the Borg Weapons bonus), Zero Point Energy Conduit (Plasma Set), Isometric, Plasmatic Leech, RSC Accelerator Mk XI, Field Generator Mk XI x2, Plasma Infuser Mk XI x 3

BOFF Skills: Eject Warp Plasma III, Engineer Team 1 and 3, Transfer Shield Strength 1, Emergency Power to Structure 1, Emergency power to Shields 1, Torp High Yield 1 and 2, Torp Spread 2, Fire at Will 1, Beam Overload 3, Hazard Emitters 1.

Bonuses: KHG Set (2 pieces, Tactical Readiness), Borg Assimilated Weapons Set (2 pieces, Omega Weapons Amplifier).

Okay...what I am working towards:

Same as above...but switch out the forward weapons with a Romulan Hyper Plasma Torp and a Romulan Experimental Beam Array (that will give me the Romulan plasma set bonus, Plasma Conductive, and Plasma Hyperflux). Switch out the rear plasma torp with the Omega Plasma Torp (that will complete the Omega set, giving me Reactive Deflection). Replace the Borg Engine with a KHG Mk XII engine, completing the KHG set, and gaining those bonuses.

Now...questions...I favor the KHG set...but that is mostly because when I started collecting the pieces, it was the only one (besides MACO or Omega..can't remember which one was open to both feds and us) that we could get...since then, the fed set has opened up for us as well...is that superior to the KHG set?

Finally...what am I missing? Is there something obvious I should correct?

Thanks for your time. If any advice is forthcoming, I will enjoy reading it.

My suggestion is to focus on the one benefit plasma has over other weapons: plasma burn.

That is the only thing that makes them different from using another energy weapon type.

Beam plasma dot is really crappy and does not stack. This is a problem. Plasma Torpedo burn does not stack with another torpedo burn but it does stack with beam burn proc..but high yield plasma burn does stack with itself and the other two.

Therefore you need to be thinking on using shield-bypassing damage and things that enhance it.

Directed Energy Modulation
    Tractor/repulsor
    transphasic torpedo/breen cluster torp.
    Omega passive ability tier 4 that adds kinetic damage to hull @ 2.5% proc rate for beams.
    disruptor proc.
    atk pattern beta
    torpedo-dmg boosters: KHG 2 piece set, ferengi console

So, personally I'd say:

Equip 2 plasma heavy cannons (plasma disruptor cannons would be ideal but you get higher plasma burn from mk12 fleet plasma kits), breen cluster torp (or hargh'peng torp) and hyper-plasma torp up front.
    Equip 2 disruptor turrets, kinetic beam and a plasma torpedo in the rear.

Why? the 2 heavy plasma cannons plus 2 disruptor turrets (polarized if you can get them) will give you the plasma burn, disruptor proc and do enough good damage.

Using DEM3+tractor+atk Beta+omega passive will maximize your shield-bypassing damage. EMG to wep too if you can squeeze it in.

Breen cluster torp or harpengh will give you a spike damage to hull and hyper-plasma under high yield will give you a VERY good plasma stack damage.

All you need to do is stack plasma damage consoles

The weakness of this build is that it will suck vs players and now vs borg. Both clean/resist plasma fire almost instantly. Against any other NPC it will be quite good.
    edited February 2013
    kimmym wrote: »
    Are you sure the rommie 2pc doesn't affect plasma torp dots?

Yep. There are a few posts in the Gameplay Bugs section of the forums. There are other threads here and there with folks arguing whether it should be +7.6% to Plasma Damage (ala an Infuser) or if it should say +7.6% Plasma Energy Damage but only work like an Ambiplasma for Energy Weapons.

Some of us could have sworn that it used to work like the Infusers. I hadn't changed my Fed Eng (mixed beam/torp) with it in over a month, but when I picked it up on my KDF Eng (torp)...yeah, I wasn't a happy camper.

Particle Gens: +EWP
    Infusers: +EWP, +Directed Energy, +DEW DoTs, +Projectile DoTs
    Ambiplasma: +Projectile DoTs
    Threat: +EWP, Directed Energy, +DEW DoTs, +Projectile DoTs
    2pc Harness: +Directed Energy, +DEW DoTs

Personally, I hope it is a bug and the 2pc works like an Infuser. Some believe it should work closer to Ambiplasma for Energy Weapons...meh.

Some folks have said they see the tooltip for regular Plasma Torpedoes change - but not for Hyper or Omega. Even my regular Plasma do not change...
  • ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wanted to say "thanks" to all responses so far -- some extremely good advice and ideas from the entire group! I greatly appreciate it.
    edited February 2013
    So looking at the 2pc set bonus - Plasma Conductive Circuity from the Romulan Singularity Harness: +7.6% Plasma Damage; these are the results for individual weapons (conducted in orbit of Qo'noS and DSK7).

With what my KDF Eng's currently sporting (trying to find a build for the Kamarag):

Plasma Cannon Mk XI [Acc]x2 [CrtH]: +Damage, +DoT Damage
    Plasma Turret Mk XI [Acc] [CrtD]: +Damage, +DoT Damage
    Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher: no increase for DoT
    Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [Dmg]x2 [CrtH]: no increase for DoT
    Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk XI [Acc]x2 [CrtH]: no increase for DoT
    Eject Warp Plasma: no increase for DoT

With what my Fed Eng's currently sporting (from dorking around on the Ambassador):

Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [Dmg]x2 [CrtH]: no increase for DoT
    Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk XI [Acc]x2 [CrtH]: no increase for DoT
    Romulan Plasma Beam Array Mk XII [Acc]x2: +Damage, +DoT
    Plasma Beam Array Mk XI [Acc] [CrtH]: +Damage, +DoT

I checked another torp and mines on the Fed Eng:

Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk XI [Acc]x2: no increase for DoT
    Plasma Mine Launcher Mk XI [CrtH]x3: no increase for DoT