test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changeling assignment - Doff sacrifice

casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Duty Officer System and R&D
[Posted in response to http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7524391#post7524391 since got in trouble for necroing it with a direct post:

As a newbie to the Doffs system, when I saw this mission i looked awesome and I expected it would yield a huge reward. It requires a single Doff, and the default choice from my first officer was my one and only ultra rare Doff so far.

So I assigned her to the mission. From the way I play the game in a window, the red warning in the top corner was completely invisible. Also, since I was rushing as usual to re-set 20 new assignments, I didn't read the full text that was visible.

I logged back later and noticed 4 minutes left to completion. On a whim, I felt like checking the rewards I would be getting (suddenly thinking "wow, will it give me a Changling Doff?"). I THEN saw the first two red words of the warning text, and scrolled down.

Instantly aborted the assignment, rescuing my poor Doff. There was about 1m 30secs to spare.

It was sooo close. I feel very sorry for anyone who lost a good Doff on this assignment. More than any other factor, the problem is that it recommends your absolute best Doff for the mission, which most people will blindly accept. If that alone was changed, there would be fewer tears.

I can't stand to lose even a common Doff unless I have a duplicate of them. My Klingon Captain refuses to execute anyone ever and in the few cases that I have lost a common Doff (I'm looking at YOU, Hamlet Holodeck Malfunction Disaster!) I have IMMEDIATELY gone to the Exchange and purchased a new copy for millions of EC, because I simply refuse to let any of them die. My Klingon Captain can't even dismiss a Doff because the flavour text implies that you are killing them for incompetence - I have to keep expanding her Doff limit to recruit new crew
Post edited by casbyness on

Comments

• pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I lost a purple borg doff to the assignment once, but wasnt too worried. They used to cost 40 EDCs, which were plentiful and easy to come by :D
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    casbyness wrote: »
    [Posted in response to http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7524391#post7524391 since got in trouble for necroing it with a direct post:

As a newbie to the Doffs system, when I saw this mission i looked awesome and I expected it would yield a huge reward. It requires a single Doff, and the default choice from my first officer was my one and only ultra rare Doff so far.

So I assigned her to the mission. From the way I play the game in a window, the red warning in the top corner was completely invisible. Also, since I was rushing as usual to re-set 20 new assignments, I didn't read the full text that was visible.

I logged back later and noticed 4 minutes left to completion. On a whim, I felt like checking the rewards I would be getting (suddenly thinking "wow, will it give me a Changling Doff?"). I THEN saw the first two red words of the warning text, and scrolled down.

Instantly aborted the assignment, rescuing my poor Doff. There was about 1m 30secs to spare.

It was sooo close. I feel very sorry for anyone who lost a good Doff on this assignment. More than any other factor, the problem is that it recommends your absolute best Doff for the mission, which most people will blindly accept. If that alone was changed, there would be fewer tears.

I can't stand to lose even a common Doff unless I have a duplicate of them. My Klingon Captain refuses to execute anyone ever and in the few cases that I have lost a common Doff (I'm looking at YOU, Hamlet Holodeck Malfunction Disaster!) I have IMMEDIATELY gone to the Exchange and purchased a new copy for millions of EC, because I simply refuse to let any of them die. My Klingon Captain can't even dismiss a Doff because the flavour text implies that you are killing them for incompetence - I have to keep expanding her Doff limit to recruit new crew

Wow! All I can say is Congrats for catching it before the mission ended. When I first started, I similar situations with more than one of the assignments, but ended up losing the DOffs. Several people have lost irreplaceable DOffs (bound to character season 5 reward doffs for instance). iirc, on first rollout, not all missions stated that they consumed a DOff, the text wasn't red, or there was some other even more difficult to spot reason why I learned to read the assignments top to bottom until I became familiar with them all.

Anyway, it has been mentioned several times in the past to have a 'are you sure' type window, or put the red text at the top of the mission before the actual flavor text, or other ways of making sure you don't accidentally slot a DOff you don't want to lose in a mission. I don't think that I'd be in favor of a pop-up, irritating when you know what you're doing, but putting the warning at the top could be helpful.

The best piece of advice I have is learn from this experience, because the situation is not likely to change any time soon. IF you're that obsessive about keeping all DOffs, no matter how fast you're trying to get the assignments, don't slot one you don't know until you've read the entire mission text. Believe me, it won't take long to learn and recognize a 'good' exchange versus a 'lost star performer' mission. :)

Second piece of advice, if you'll allow - don't ever slot the recommended DOffs, they're almost always not the best choice. Take the time to view the whole roster, pick out your best suited DOffs based on crit traits and rarity, and if you really don't want to lose the whites (you'll get over that soon), don't send a common one off on anything that has a disaster possibility at all. Commons die - everyone else just goes to sick bay for a while.

And enjoy - here's to Happier DOffing!

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • satinaviansatinavian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

There are lots of safe and kind of boring jobs in a fleet space station or the embassy on New Romulus. Or you could send them to an exchange program with one of the 4 races near DS9.

Higher quality doffs do not die in accidents, they are at most hurt. You can only loose them on missions with the red warning text.

Some time ago i used holograms for the execution and munity missions. But this is kind of silly.
  • kellyh5kellyh5 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I lost William Shakespeare! He was given to me for completing Holodeck Performance of Hamlet on critical success (1% chance of critical success)! He was very rare... I put him in there and now today when I checked the completed mission I noticed the red text stating that he was dead/gone! Noooooooooooooooo!!!
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    I just keep throwing in the emergency crafting holograms. Mostly because it amuses me to have a hologram be a changeling spy.​​
  • theearthdragontheearthdragon Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    You, sir, have ISSUES. White TRIBBLE doffs aren't things you want to KEEP, they're stuff you feed to the ever-hungry starbase.

I mean, I used to think like you, "doffs are hard to get, why would I ever want to execute one".

Now? yay, Execute for Incompetence!

Yep. There is none of the starting 20 that get spared from the executioners axe. Really wish they'd integrate those 20 in with other exchanges and give you a random 20 unbound with certain specifications (1 Common Gorn doctor, 2 Common Security Officers, 1 Common Klingon Assault etc). Always hate game aspects with little to no uniqueness as you are progressing new characters. At times, STO is WAY too much of a single player game dressed up as an MMO. Can't stand playing missions with friends but them reading as if they are my missions. In particular makes the decision for the Romulan Fraction even dumber.