test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I have friends.........

bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Controls and User Interface
and boy-o do I know that title will stir some trollers* but I do have seriuos question.

Would it be possible to have a Friends channel like we have Zone, Local, Fleet withouthaving to make one?

A chat choice that allows me to talk with my friends list as a whole

Is such possible?
Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
Post edited by bitemepwe on

Comments

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That would be a cool feature to have.

/signed +1.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The interesting thing is - City of Heroes (which was developed by Cryptic) HAD such a feature (IE a 'Friends' chat channel that had all the people you had friended on it) built onto/into that original CoH engine.

IMO - it's kind of surprising that when cryptic redid their MMO engine for their current line of MMOs (Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and the forthcoming NeverWinter); somehow that feature got dropped.

I agree, it was/is a good feature, and if at all possible, should be re-introduced to the current Cryptic MMO engine.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    vyktorivyktori Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it would lead to some problems. If all the friends you are talking about are also mutual friends, it makes sense. However, if one of your friends has some friends on their list that aren't on your list, they would only be getting one side of the messages. To them, the other person is just talking to nothing. If it would add all of their friends to the chat as well, then you just end up with a snowball effect where half the server is in your friend chat. I think just making your own channel is the best option.
  • Options
    synkr0nizedsynkr0nized Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I am not sure how that would work when friends lists aren't all the same. I could see wanting to broadcast to all of your friends at once, perhaps -- such as, say, asking for availability to make a team -- or something, but to treat your list as a channel doesn't sound like a smooth idea. The lack of overlap with everyone else's lists presents problems. Also, consider if you have a couple different sets of friends; you might not want to or tend to have the same conversations with different subsets of your list.
    _______
    equal parts cynical and helpful