test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are Cryptic really listening?

admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
With season 7 there was as any player here at the time know a lot of dissatisfaction expressed about changes to reward structure re drops and dilithium provided with STFS.

After a few days of this there was an announcement about how Cryptic had listened and put in place the present structure.

With the nice festive break and I gotta say I really liked the winter wonderland, we are soon to be presented with the same old issues because I don't think cryptic are listening. To build on this and the forthcoming 3rd anniversary and other new ships, lock boxes etc coming this year I would like to put Cryptic to the test as to how well Cryptic are hearing.

my points of contention are:

1/ The Embassy and Starbase vanity projects are way over priced a consistent criticism made time and again. This week will presumably see the release of these resumed, and owners of starbases are asking for this to be reduced, asking and asking and.... The resource gathering for the winter Holo ship perhaps a better way forward. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

2/ General recruitment at 1k dilithium, erm or I donate to sb project and get 2 random common doffs from the fleet personal officer with the generated fleet credits all the same. Is anyone running this anymore once you realize the cost? I haven't and its a pointless option. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

3/ General dilithium requirements and even fleet marks are considered excessive and need to be reduced by 50% for embassy upgrades and starbase tier 3 or higher. The difficulty of this has been mentioned time and again when hitting the higher teirs and upgrade requirements. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

4/ Expand the server capability. Why are we seeing Rubber Banding, consistent disconnects as entering new maps. Given the new Star Trek film being around the time of season 8 I would expect an upsurge in interest and right now I think the servers will fall flat with the demand generated. The hardware causing issues need to be redressed. Never mind the forums this is something discussed in game chat. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

EDIT I posted something which was inerror and have removed it, hence ignore ref to CoH comments. Apologies for my error causing confusion. However, I would note that system issues are worse on Saturday night and when European and American community are online together, which indicates host server problems not connection errors. Also my fleet has EVE players who have noted the difference in smoothness of gameplay.

I personally don't mind reasonable goals for advancing my ship and character equipment, or a reasonable price, or amount of time. But I would rather dilithium was removed from the game because the amount needed has increased way beyond what an individual can comfortably generate even if a lifer, certainly re dilithium we've already paid ya, cut us some slack with dilithium bonuses or the general requirements. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With season 7 there was as any player here at the time know a lot of dissatisfaction expressed about changes to reward structure re drops and dilithium provided with STFS.

After a few days of this there was an announcement about how Cryptic had listened and put in place the present structure.

With the nice festive break and I gotta say I really liked the winter wonderland, we are soon to be presented with the same old issues because I don't think cryptic are listening. To build on this and the forthcoming 3rd anniversary and other new ships, lock boxes etc coming this year I would like to put Cryptic to the test as to how well Cryptic are hearing.

1/ The Embassy and Starbase vanity projects are way over priced a consistent criticism made time and again. This week will presumably see the release of these resumed, and owners of starbases are asking for this to be reduced, asking and asking and.... The resource gathering for the winter Holo ship perhaps a better way forward. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

2/ General recruitment at 1k dilithium, erm or I donate to sb project and get 2 random common doffs from the fleet personal officer with the generated fleet credits all the same. Is anyone running this anymore once you realize the cost? I haven't and its a pointless option. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

3/ General dilithium requirements and even fleet marks are considered excessive and need to be reduced by 50% for embassy upgrades and starbase tier 3 or higher. The difficulty of this has been mentioned time and again when hitting the higher teirs and upgrade requirements. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

4/ Expand the server capability, I would assume by now you've got the City of Heroes Servers free to use, so why are we seeing Rubber Banding, consistent disconnects as entering new maps. Given the new Star Trek film being around the time of season 8 I would expect an upsurge in interest and right now I think the servers will fall flat with the demand generated. The hardware causing issues need to be redressed. Never mind the forums this is something discussed in game chat. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

I personally don't mind reasonable goals for advancing my ship and character equipment, or a reasonable price, or amount of time. But I would rather dilithium was removed from the game because the amount needed has increased way beyond what an individual can comfortably generate even if a lifer, certainly re dilithium we've already paid ya, cut us some slack with dilithium bonuses or the general requirements. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

1 - don't count on that changing, as long as people are paying zen to turn into dil, it will continue, blame the ones to put up with it

2 - see 1

3 - see 1 too

4 - now this one i don't get, with the money they're making they could easily upgrade their servers, if they were capable of doubling their staff, then obviously they could improve the server.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Point 1 and 3 are both very much a matter of personal opinion. You might feel things cost too much, but not everyone agrees. Just because Cryptic doesn't do what you think is best, doesn't mean they aren't listening.
    I would assume by now you've got the City of Heroes Servers free to use

I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're actually talking about... Cryptic sold CoH off to NCSoft/Paragon Studios some time ago, why in the world would they get that hardware?
  • Options
    meeheemeehee Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2013
    cryptic only listen to 2 things....

1) our wallets

2) massive vocal dissatisfaction

These are the only things to cause cryptic to change their minds about what they have planned for the game.

If cryptic truely listened to the playerbase most controversial things would never hit the live game since in the past all the major concerns are always discovered and discussed in great deal (and in many cases a valid alternative is discussed as well), But cryptic never listen to us, they think they know best and usually it backfires on them causing massive fan backlash and some backpedaling by them resulting in more loss of player goodwill towards them...

You would think they would learn and listen to us more ;)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    meehee wrote: »

1) our wallets

These are the only things to cause cryptic to change their minds about what they have planned for the game.

If cryptic truely listened to the playerbase most controversial things would never hit the live game since in the past all the major concerns are always discovered and discussed in great deal (and in many cases a valid alternative is discussed as well), But cryptic never listen to us, they think they know best and usually it backfires on them causing massive fan backlash and some backpedaling by them resulting in more loss of player goodwill towards them...

Do you listen to crazy people on The Subway no, so why would cryptic listen to the forums :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The projects have a run of 28 days before it cuts into the next, though if they continue what they did right after S7 they'd have an effective run of 14 days since they overlapped starbase and embassy ones - daily math works the same if you count one for 14 days or two for 28.

That's a dilithium load of 14286 per day for the entire fleet. Taking Cryptic's supposed sweet spot size of 20 members (ignoring for the moment how crushing tier 3+ projects are on that fleet size), 715 dilithium per member per day.

They're not that excessive if you make use of the time allowed.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Do you listen to crazy people on The Subway no, so why would cryptic listen to the forums :D

Sadly there's a fair amount of truth to this statement. :)
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013

2 points on this,

1. they seem overpriced because they are geared towards a fleet of 25 plus all donating towards it which comes out to less than one STF a day.

2. They're priced as such because they're vanity projects just there to add some flavour to the Starbases and act as a status symbol (hence their limited time run), if they actually had a function they'd cost a lot less than 200,000 Dilithium.

There was a massive influx of dilithium prior to season 7 due to people abusing exploits to get Dilithium quick and easy. This was added as a consequence to increase the amount of dilithium sinks, expect to see it removed or reduced once the amount of dilithium stabilizes.

See point 1 in my answer to your first question, you're not meant to accomplish this on your own, you're supposed to work together as a fleet to finish it.
    4/ Expand the server capability, I would assume by now you've got the City of Heroes Servers free to use, so why are we seeing Rubber Banding, consistent disconnects as entering new maps. Given the new Star Trek film being around the time of season 8 I would expect an upsurge in interest and right now I think the servers will fall flat with the demand generated. The hardware causing issues need to be redressed. Never mind the forums this is something discussed in game chat. CRYPTIC ARE YOU LISTENING?

I haven't rubber banded since they corrected the issues they were having last year just after F2P so long as I'm not using the Internet heavily for other things, and whilst I do get the occasionally failed to connect to sever error when zoning it's usually corrected quickly and barely noticeable. Personally I'd check that it's not an issue on your end or with your provider before blaming Cryptic.

Oh and Cryptic never had control over the CoX servers except for patching, and not even that since 2008 when they sold the complete rights to CoX over to NCSoft. The physical servers however were always owned by NCSoft.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sure they are.

It's just in between various interests, available time and what's possible to code you won't get everything you want.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Quoted for truth.
    <3
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    meehee wrote: »

that is only if its not in a game called champions online.

sto has a huge dev team which is getting bigger, co team is at best guess much more smaller.