test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Featured Episodes (Series 5)

chrismullins1987chrismullins1987 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
Anyone know a definitive date for this, or if its even in production?
Looking at previous release dates I would guess Feb 2013 but I have not heard anything from the devs or if its even been in production...
Post edited by chrismullins1987 on

Comments

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Season 8 - May
    At least one new Feature Episode series at launch and maybe even more than that ...

The question is, if it's gonna be a "true" FE ... or just 5 Cutscenes within a New Reputation System like New Romulus ...
    Third Anniversary - February
    One-off Feature Episode

so just one Mission ... no Series 5 ...

-> best we can hope for is "Series 5" during Season 8, but with the whole focus on Reputation/Grinding Systems right now, I even doubt that there will be a "classic" Series 5
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lets see.. we've had the Breen,Devidians,Romulans and Dominion ....

I want to see.... either... Someone new.. new species... (not the deferi!) or the Mirror Universe.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, Season 7 is all about the Romulans, there's unresolved threads out there about Empress Sela, and Denise Crosby was at Cryptic this week...
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
    edited January 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I want to see.... either... Someone new.. new species... (not the deferi!) or the Mirror Universe.

One of the last statements/specualtions before they gave up on the whole FE Stuff was :

Series 5 : Tholians (well not sure if thats still viable after Nukura Event, probably not)
    Series 6 : Voth
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Tholians!
    Or a Tholian - Breen alliance.
    Come on two xenophobic extreme temperature bad guys, with sodding cool ships, and both requiring EV suits to fight outside of their ships / homeworlds.
    I really want this, please Cryptic :cool:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kexx062782kexx062782 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Stahl mentioned the idea of a Gorn Rebellion FE Series being tossed around too... a long time ago.

The next lock box is supposed to be Dominion-themed, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the next FE.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think they said the next FE will come out around February, but if that were true they'd probably be hyping it a lot more.

My guess is it will involve the Tholian/Terran Empire alliance. Voth will probably come out around Season 8.

The next Ask Cryptic will probably clarify some things. Hopefully it'll come out soon.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited January 2013
    I think they said the next FE will come out around February, but if that were true they'd probably be hyping it a lot more.

My guess is it will involve the Tholian/Terran Empire alliance. Voth will probably come out around Season 8.

The next Ask Cryptic will probably clarify some things. Hopefully it'll come out soon.

There won't be any new Series before Season 8, except the One-Off Mission during the 3rd Anniversary ... hate to say it, but believing anything else seems to be delusional ...
    edited January 2013

going by what happend on nukara.. I dont think they like each other that much.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If we do ever get a full 5-episode featured series, it should be Cardassian-focused with a Cardassian Boff as the reward.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited January 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    If we do ever get a full 5-episode featured series, it should be Cardassian-focused with a Cardassian Boff as the reward.

Do we really need spoon head content?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2013
    going by what happend on nukara.. I dont think they like each other that much.

Yeah, you'd think so. But strangely, Terran ships often help the Tholians during space combat (just do Azure Nebula Rescue and you'll see). That's one of many questions I want to see answered in the next FE.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, you'd think so. But strangely, Terran ships often help the Tholians during space combat (just do Azure Nebula Rescue and you'll see). That's one of many questions I want to see answered in the next FE.

captured ships maybe?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2013
    captured ships maybe?

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that! :eek:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • d3cubedd3cubed Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I put my money on a Tholians messing around with Iconians series that also explains their alliance to the terran empire.
    I support Handsome Phaser Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We need more Mirror Universe missions. True ones, where we travel to Mirror Universe DS9, or Mirror Universe Earth, or Mirror Universe (insert iconic ship or planet).

I love MU stuff. Since the Tholians are able to travel to the MU, and apparently steal stuff from the present, and future MU, it would open the door for awesome story content. What if the MU Humans actually came to us, for help, to stop the Tholians messing with their universe. So much potential for a Tholian/MU storyline.
    edited January 2013
    We need more Mirror Universe missions. True ones, where we travel to Mirror Universe DS9, or Mirror Universe Earth, or Mirror Universe (insert iconic ship or planet).

I love MU stuff. Since the Tholians are able to travel to the MU, and apparently steal stuff from the present, and future MU, it would open the door for awesome story content. What if the MU Humans actually came to us, for help, to stop the Tholians messing with their universe. So much potential for a Tholian/MU storyline.

Agreed. I'd love to learn more about the Terrans, and how the Empire rebuilt its military might so quickly.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. I'd love to learn more about the Terrans, and how the Empire rebuilt its military might so quickly.

That's pretty simple, the Terran Empire, until recently, hadn't built a single new ship since the Warp 4 capable ISS Enterprise seeing as all they managed between Ent and TOS was copying the USS Defiant's (Constitution Class) technology.

Following MU Spocks attempt to resolve the issues inherent in the Terran Empire it kicked off a civil war in which the Terran Empire was soundly defeated. This led to the former humans Terran Empire being the slaves and certain ones being moved to Terok Nor to serve the Carrdassians alongside the Bajorians.

This changed when they went to the prime universe and stole the plans for the USS Defiant (Defiant Class), although initially rocky, with help from the prime universe Sisko they were able to complete the ship causing another major jump in technology in the MU, due to the fact that fewer civilisations had bothered to advance their technology without the Terran Empire/Federation to fight against.

With this major jump the Terran Empire was able to use the technology derived from the Defiant in building newer and bigger classes of ships with which they went on to take back their former homeworld and become the biggest bully in the playground again.

(Yes, the fact that both ships stolen from the Prime Universe were both called the USS Defiant is confusing but don't blame me for it.)
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The last word was a one off special for the anniversary with 1 or 2 proper series for season 8.

whether thats still the case or not, who knows, but I would like to see a tholian FE seres and an Iconian FE series. There seems to be a connection between the two races so one series could lead into the other and almost make a 10 part series.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Erm... unless I've missed something (highly likely), there's been no mention whatsoever of future Featured Episodes besides the one-off for the 3 year anniversary.

From everything that Stahl (and others) have said about FE's in the past, it would seem that they're dead and they're not coming back - instead expect more rep-gated mini-missions and cut scenes a la New Romulus.

It's funny, I've been playing through the FE's for the Lobi during the reruns and I can understand why they're loath to make more - take Facility 4028 for example - a huge brand-new map with all-new NPCs and systems - it must've taken them ages to build and get working properly.

But it's never been used since - neither has Bajor, the DS9 exterior, the TOS retro-stuff from the Devidian arc - all these amazing environments gone to waste.

Which really, is where they've gone wrong - they should (much like the shows) be telling stories based around what they have, what they can adapt and reuse (and forget the voice-acting - it's an unnecessary expense).

But instead, they look at how much and how long something like The 2800 took to make and say 'it's not cost effective' - well, no wonder when every new FE had to (in their eyes) be epic and using brand new assets.

Me? I'd just like to see more of Kestrel's story :)
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    But it's never been used since - neither has Bajor, the DS9 exterior, the TOS retro-stuff from the Devidian arc - all these amazing environments gone to waste.

Which really, is where they've gone wrong - they should (much like the shows) be telling stories based around what they have, what they can adapt and reuse (and forget the voice-acting - it's an unnecessary expense).

But instead, they look at how much and how long something like The 2800 took to make and say 'it's not cost effective' - well, no wonder when every new FE had to (in their eyes) be epic and using brand new assets.

Hearing this argument always amuses me. The work has already been done, now all Cryptic has to do is be slightly creative, redress the interiors a smidge, write up a semi coherent storyline and voila, new mission.

Instead, we get their laziness and the expense of creating "new" content thrown in our faces for the reasons why it won't happen, while at the same time brand new, and broken, systems are being shoved down our throats to siphon off player resources and create another revenue stream.

It's greed and laziness, plain and simple.

The kicker? Players are using incomplete, archaic and in some cases flat out broken tools to create content that kicks the TRIBBLE out of most of what Cryptic's done in a fraction of the time for zero cost.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Erm... unless I've missed something (highly likely), there's been no mention whatsoever of future Featured Episodes besides the one-off for the 3 year anniversary.

From everything that Stahl (and others) have said about FE's in the past, it would seem that they're dead and they're not coming back - instead expect more rep-gated mini-missions and cut scenes a la New Romulus.

dstahl said, a few months back now that FE are not dead and that there are more to make. this was in response to a lot of post by people claiming they were dead.

i dont have the post to hand and i cant remember the exact wording but it was something along the lines of 1 series, possibly 2 in season 8.

now as i said earlier, that can change on a moments notice and nothing is set in stone until its hits the servers but yes they have plans to make more.
  • chrismullins1987chrismullins1987 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting theories.

My guess would be A Mirror Universe FE Series as they keep appearing randomly in some missions.
    Maybe Tholian/MU instead. But I think MU will definitely be a part of it.
    edited January 2013
    It's funny, I've been playing through the FE's for the Lobi during the reruns and I can understand why they're loath to make more - take Facility 4028 for example - a huge brand-new map with all-new NPCs and systems - it must've taken them ages to build and get working properly.

Sure giant empty enviroments for chasing bunnies, which you'll never visit after 40 days of boring grinding (well maybe again just before you try to kill yourself with boredom) are way better :P

On a side note ... it took them 6 months work for FE Series 1-3 ... so i can't believe "it took us ages to do this" - BS ... especially since Enviroments in FE 1-3 are way better imho :P than FE 4, which is when the whole argument started ... noone ever told us this TRIBBLE during FE 1-3

It all went from "We hope to get rid of the 1 month break between FE's, which might be manageable" to "Despite a lot of new resources thanks to PWE, it takes to much time and manpower to make just one per year" ... got the joke ? ...