test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TL;DR Free thread about Territory Control Gameplay Brainstorm

chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I wanted to make a thread of basic ideas for territory control game play, since DStahl mentioned it in the most recent Ask Cryptic.

But I didn't want long posts that skipped around different ideas, making it a hard to read thread, so how I intend for this to work is to just post the basic idea, then if you want to expand on it, link to a new thread based on your idea.

Example:
Me sweet idea for a type of mission!

-Link to sweet idea thread-

That way if the devs (or anyone else for that matter) wants more info or to add ideas to it, they can follow the link.

You can also quote someone who didn't have a link, and make your own thread if you want to make comments on an idea.
Chewson Pwan - VA
S.S. Doff Lundgren
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by chivalrybean on

Comments

• chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Daily missions that provide your fleet with 'points' that add to the fleet/faction territory control values. These could only be played with fleet members (or solo).

Daily missions that anyone of the faction can play that increase general faction standing.

Doff missions that sway control or abilities available for your fleet and faction.

Starbase missions to increase control.

Daily PvP matches that add to faction control. The outcome matters, so be prepared!

Missions of any sort that made opposing faction PvE missions harder based on how well you do in the mission.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Any Territory Control system would have to have a system to adjust control based on faction player populations. Otherwise it's just a one sided system designed for just Feds.

Until that is addressed, nothing else matter in a territory control system.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Missions of any sort that made opposing faction PvE missions harder based on how well you do in the mission.

How about 'especially no' to this one in particular. I specifically dislike PVP and shouldn't be punished elsewhere for chosing to avoid it. You play your game, I'll play mine.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How about 'especially no' to this one in particular. I specifically dislike PVP and shouldn't be punished elsewhere for chosing to avoid it. You play your game, I'll play mine.

Yep, that kind of design won't fly here. Any PVP implementation has to be completely optional and have no negative impact on PVE play.
    edited December 2012
    Any Territory Control system would have to have a system to adjust control based on faction player populations. Otherwise it's just a one sided system designed for just Feds.

Yeah, I can see that.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ahhhhhh...memories of dynaverse.

STO is years away from that level of territorial warfare, if ever. There's just too many peeps who want their single player game with built-in social zones.

It has to be mean and nasty PvP, anything else will be a gift to fed players because they are the majority, and they grind, grind, grind.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If it is balanced for population like Kirian says than I could get into it.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012

BIJATHLH 'E' YIMEV!!!! Everyone knows that every true Klingon is worth twenty Feds! LET THEM COME. LET THEM DIE.
    edited December 2012
    BIJATHLH 'E' YIMEV!!!! Everyone knows that every true Klingon is worth twenty Feds! LET THEM COME. LET THEM DIE.

Haha, nice.

Perhaps there is a diminishing return that say if 10 fed teams play PvE mission X and 6 succeed, but only 3 KDF teams play the same opposing one, but all 3 win, the +3 the fed have aren't worth as much because they had 10 tries.

For true PvP (FED actively fighting KDF) it will auto balance in the sense that if no KDF are on, you can't fight them.

I also think if territory control went live, a lot more KDF players would come back. Unfortunately, I might play my KDF less, in the sense I don't want to play both sides ... but maybe I would, not sure.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Haha, nice.

Perhaps there is a diminishing return that say if 10 fed teams play PvE mission X and 6 succeed, but only 3 KDF teams play the same opposing one, but all 3 win, the +3 the fed have aren't worth as much because they had 10 tries.

I could see that working. And work it would. I've seen Fed PUG's vs. KDF ones. :rolleyes: :D
    I also think if territory control went live, a lot more KDF players would come back. Unfortunately, I might play my KDF less, in the sense I don't want to play both sides ... but maybe I would, not sure.

I would actually play my Klingon more. Conquering, pillaging, and plundering is what Klingons DO. And besides. Beating the ever loving TRIBBLE out of defenseless whiners that insult your mother is incredibly satisfying. :D But I still love my Captain, so I would just even the play times outs.
    edited December 2012
    I would actually play my Klingon more. Conquering, pillaging, and plundering is what Klingons DO. And besides. Beating the ever loving TRIBBLE out of defenseless whiners that insult your mother is incredibly satisfying. :D But I still love my Captain, so I would just even the play times outs.

Your mother has a flat forehead. :eek:
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Your mother has a flat forehead. :eek:

My characters mother is an Orion. So yes, she does have a flat forehead. :D