test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

20 hour cool down for a 1 and a half mission?

kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
1 and a half minute for Epohh tagging the 20 hour cool down? You have got to be kidding me.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
-I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
-The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
Post edited by kdawgenigma on

Comments

• Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Probably due to the ability to gain absurd amounts of Romulan marks from it if it weren't a once-a-day mission.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Probably due to the ability to gain absurd amounts of Romulan marks from it if it weren't a once-a-day mission.

Still don't need to be 20 hours for a 1 minute task. Needs to be shortened greatly.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Maybe if the marks were reduced along with the cooldown it might make better sense without unbalancing rep grinding.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My biggest beef is that the timers are different. I can tag every 20 hours, but I can't run the doff assignment unless I wait a full 24. I don't mind the length, but can you match up the timers? Preferably shortening the doff assignment to 20 hours.
    Still don't need to be 20 hours for a 1 minute task. Needs to be shortened greatly.

There are a lot of doff assignments that run 20 hours. All of those take less than a minute to set up. Not understanding what the complaint is.
    edited December 2012
    latinumbar wrote: »
    All of those take less than a minute to set up. Not understanding what the complaint is.

I think our OP makes a distinction between doff activity and player activity. Personally, I have always disliked the rather exaggerated DOff mission cooldown times. I know they are necessary to keep the new players from hitting level cap almost instantly, as in this case it's there to keep anyone from having an omg stack of romulan marks in an hour. Adjustments might be made in both arenas though, dividing the reward by the same factor as the cooldown time, or something.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's a daily. It happens once a day, no matter how long or short the particular task might be.

Not seeing the issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    kiralyn wrote: »
    It's a daily. It happens once a day, no matter how long or short the particular task might be.

Not seeing the issue.

Checking the wiki...
    Not much detail here http://www.stowiki.org/Epohh_Tags

Does it actually state daily in the mission name? I have not for a moment been interested enough to check into tagging epohhs. I don't even really know what that means. If it does state daily in the mission name then yes, you are very correct and that does mean yes, 20 hour cooldown for a 1 and a half minute mission. (taking your word for that OP) I guess be glad it isn't 24 hours?
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    curs0r wrote: »
    Checking the wiki...
    Not much detail here http://www.stowiki.org/Epohh_Tags

Does it actually state daily in the mission name?

Hmm, you know, I'm not sure. I may just be calling it a daily because it fits the pattern - you do it, and it returns a 20 hour cooldown (like all the other "daily" quests).

Reasoning for 20 hour cooldowns - previous MMOs had dailies with 24hr cooldown. This led to lots of problems for people because it wasn't always easy to be online at the same exact time every day. You'd creep forward an hour one day, two the next, and then end up having to skip a day because it just got too late. This annoyed people, so the devs came up with the less-than-24-hr cooldown for "daily" quests. So if you're a bit late one day, you can get back onto your "regular" time more easily.

(Of course, STO is even friendlier, since the cooldown starts counting when you pick up the quest, not when you finish it.)

...the other popular method, of course, is to just have dailies reset at a particular time. Like the Dilithium refining cap works.
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    curs0r wrote: »
    Maybe if the marks were reduced along with the cooldown it might make better sense without unbalancing rep grinding.

IMO, I think its balanced fine the way it is. For people who have the time to play and don't want to wait, they can run the daily for 60 marks. For more casual players who log in only a few times a week, this is a good way to allow them to earn some marks.

Producing an elder takes about a week. Assuming you get enough tags to start the doff mission everyday, it will take you 2-5 days to buy the pup depending on if you crit. A purple doff with 1 crit trait will give you a 23% chance to crit, so let's say it takes you 4 days to buy the pup. Then, it will take you another 3 days to raise the pup into an elder. That's 7 days to produce 400 rom marks.

Compare that to the daily. 60 marks a day for 7 days is 420 rom marks. This will be much higher if you do the daily during the reputation event which will provide an extra 15 marks per day. Potentially you could get up to 525 rom marks.

So you get less marks with the epohh method, but it also takes less work, so all in all, I think it's balanced appropriately.