test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lance Weapon Consoles?

takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
Hello. :)

We all know the Galaxy-X Dreadnought's Claim to Fame in this Game: The Spinal Phaser Lance. Furthermore, in the Hive Space STF, the two Unimatrix Ships also have Lance Weapons (Plasma, unless I miss my guess).

No matter what variant, however, Lance Weapons are the most powerful weapons in this game. Even the Bio-Neural Warheads and Hargh'Peng Torpedoes don't come anywhere close.

My question is, why let the Galaxy-X Dreadnought have all the fun? Why can't we outfit Lance Weapons onto other ships?

I actually have an idea for how this could work: Make a new console (either Tactical or Universal), which equips a Lance Weapon to the ship it's installed in. There could even be six different Lance Weapon Consoles, one for each Damage Type (Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Polaron, Tetryon, and Antiproton).

Obviously, there would be limitations. First, this would be a C-Store Item, worth 2000-2500 ZEN. Second, this would be an Endgame item, which could be used only at Level 50. And third, only certain ships would be able to use Lance Weapons. Those ships are:

Federation: Assault Cruiser, Star Cruiser, Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, Galaxy-X Dreadnought (Phaser Lance mounted by Default), Assault Cruiser Refit, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser, Odyssey Operations Cruiser, Odyssey Science Cruiser
Federation (Fleet): Fleet Star Cruiser, Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit, Odyssey Star Cruiser

Klingon: Negh'Var Heavy Battle Cruiser, Bortasqu' Tactical Cruiser, Bortasqu' Command Cruiser, Bortasqu' War Cruiser
Klingon (Fleet): Fleet Negh'Var Heavy Battle Cruiser, Bortas Battle Cruiser

You may notice that the Klingons would have fewer ships capable of mounting Lance Weapons. The reason is I wanted these things to only be mounted on large ships. The Negh'Var is the smallest Klingon Ship which I think should be able to mount a Lance Weapon. That doesn't mean it's small, just that I don't think anything smaller could mount Lance Weapons. And I don't think Carriers would work well with Lance Weapons, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, that's my idea for Lance Weapons.

What does everyone think? :D:cool:
76561198160276582.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    why. lances are TRIBBLE due to cooldown and powerdrain.

any beam overload 3 capable ship does more damage more consitently.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To a different way to use it. I noticed in some books, they call Klingon ships using a large cannon weapon. So in a way they could use a "lance" style weapon. Even on the shows you can see a large weapon at time being fired from the front. Unless I mistake it for a regular "beam" weapon.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, as we already said, due to the cooldown, the power drain, and the tiny arc you have on this thing, the Phaser lance is actually one of the weakest "P2W" weapons available. Especially considering that BO3 with a weapons battery will get the job done just as well with a larger arc.

There is also the fact that the Phaser lance, in canon and in game, as said to be build into the super structure of the Galaxy-X. This isn't some console your engineer can strap into your EPS system down in Engineering. They build the ship around this phaser...
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Unnessacary if you ask me... Lance weapons are overrated.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Decent points.

To be perfectly honest, though, I want a Wave Motion Gun for some of my characters who fly Cruisers (or Battlecruisers on the Klingon side of the fence). And Lance Weapons are the Wave Motion Guns of Star Trek Online--forward-mounted, pack an unbelievable punch, and have a very long recharge/cooldown period.

Now, I could use a Galaxy-X to get my Lance Weapon, but there are two problems: One, I don't have the Galaxy-X, and Two, I want each of my characters to fly a different ship, and I have enough characters that would work with Wave Motion Guns that just sticking them all in Galaxy-X Dreadnoughts would quickly reduce the diversity in ship selection, something I Do Not Want. So, I needed another way to get a Lance Weapon, and that's why I came up with the console idea.

As to Kyeto13's remark, the Lance Console could be set up in such a way that once it's installed on a ship, it cannot be removed from said ship unless you are exchanging one Lance Weapon for another (Phaser for Antiproton, for example).

However, if Lance Weapons would not work, I need ideas for an alternative Wave Motion Gun. :D:cool:

EDIT: Yes, the Heavy Graviton Beam from the MACO Space Gear could also work as a Wave Motion Gun. However, the fact that I need to burn through an Auxiliary Battery whenever I want to use it at maximum power makes it kind of expensive to use.
    76561198160276582.png
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As a console the idea could be fun just to add something else to the game.

Though I first thought that it was the idea of Tac consoles that also boost the lance/autocannon in some form like faster CD or increased this or that.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P