test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mines: To Mine or Not To Mine

aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I fly a Nova refit - three weapons fore, three aft. Two plasma torps and a beam weapon fore. I use Rule 62, and went for the two-piece, using the tachyon mine launcher. This synergizes well with my debuff-based plasma/grav/tractor/science build. The new Borg cutter weapon will of course remove one of my two remaining rear turrets, leaving one more.

So with the new Romulan plasma consoles, I have to ask myself: maybe I should just go all out and remove the last turret and replace it with plasma mines. I don't see what that last turret would do for me given how much plasma damage I'd have anyway and the fact it is only one turret.

I just don't see many players at all using mines. Then again most players are terribly unimaginative and just use stock builds. I would think they are good, cheap damage (not to mention good against destructible invisitorps).

Are mines really bad or is that just the over-conventional wisdom?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by aestu on

Comments

• Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aestu wrote: »
    I fly a Nova refit - three weapons fore, three aft. Two plasma torps and a beam weapon fore. I use Rule 62, and went for the two-piece, using the tachyon mine launcher. This synergizes well with my debuff-based plasma/grav/tractor/science build. The new Borg cutter weapon will of course remove one of my two remaining rear turrets, leaving one more.

So with the new Romulan plasma consoles, I have to ask myself: maybe I should just go all out and remove the last turret and replace it with plasma mines. I don't see what that last turret would do for me given how much plasma damage I'd have anyway and the fact it is only one turret.

I just don't see many players at all using mines. Then again most players are terribly unimaginative and just use stock builds. I would think they are good, cheap damage (not to mention good against destructible invisitorps).

Are mines really bad or is that just the over-conventional wisdom?

Have you been sleeping? Mines are sooper awesome. If you use one spread and one dispersal you can debuff a LOT of things at one time.

Although I'm totally unsure of what it is your fighting, or what your doing with all that tractory grav well stuff going on. Still. Mines are good.

Cheers and happy flying!
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just upgraded my Borg Plasma Mk XII mine launcher to a Fleet Plasma MK II mine launcher, but the tooltip says the damage is exactly the same despite them both being the same Mark and the latter having Dmgx3 to the former's crit bonuses.

And yes I did wait for the tooltips to refresh and tried moving screens, and was in tactical space.

Help/explanation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Pretty sure the [Dmg] modifier for mines is broken atm. I think Borticus mentioned that there's a fix in the works. But until then, my MKXII borg tric mines will remain slotted instead of my MKXII fleet tric mines.

But yeah, mines are awesome.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aestu wrote: »
    I just upgraded my Borg Plasma Mk XII mine launcher to a Fleet Plasma MK II mine launcher, but the tooltip says the damage is exactly the same despite them both being the same Mark and the latter having Dmgx3 to the former's crit bonuses.

And yes I did wait for the tooltips to refresh and tried moving screens, and was in tactical space.

Help/explanation?

Fleet mines are a total waste of time. DMG never worked on mines, I have no idea why devs put DMG on fleet mines.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Actually, for reasons unknown the [Dmg] modifier increases the plasma damage per tic on the burn, so the fleet version is actually a good choice for plasma since the reason to take it is the dot.