test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Congrats Devs, STO is finally a Star Trek game!

lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
No, I'm not being sarcastic. All the hubbub about dilithium aside, exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game. I wish it had come sooner, but all I can say is "job well done" and please add more of this type of content!
Post edited by lillithiae on

Comments

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not to mention the whole helping others in need, putting your differences aside to reach a common goal thing. That's pretty Trek too and is the entire theme of the New Romulus zone.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't think we are there yet, but is is a good start. I would not go as far as calling it a true Star Trek game though. We are missing a bit of "Where no one has gone before". It still feels like an amusement park in a fish bowl.
  • shaddam01shaddam01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    can not agree not even close we had mission we go get this and this and that for who and who and who so no not even close
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    shaddam01 wrote: »
    can not agree not even close we had mission we go get this and this and that for who and who and who so no not even close

Yeah, well, that describes about 90% of the content of every MMO.

This is not Trek Sims. More trek-like is always nice, but is very vague and varies from person to person.

Is the game great? No. Do the devs make boneheaded decisions? Yep.

But its still an alright Trek game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    I don't think we are there yet, but is is a good start. I would not go as far as calling it a true Star Trek game though. We are missing a bit of "Where no one has gone before". It still feels like an amusement park in a fish bowl.
    That was the point of exploration clusters. But... they're too repetitive. The randomizer algorithm isn't complex enough to make a decent variety of missions.

I have to applaud the devs for trying though. It takes a while for it to get monotonous.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lillithiae wrote: »
    No, I'm not being sarcastic. All the hubbub about dilithium aside, exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game. I wish it had come sooner, but all I can say is "job well done" and please add more of this type of content!

I have to say most of the Featured Episode series are also very Trek (Coliseum in the Cloaked Intentions series screams Trek), but that said, I totally agree with you here. We finally have a strange new world to really explore as opposed to running through to just to complete it. And as was said above, the spirit of cooperation as seen in (most) of the series is a huge plus.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    running around in circles pressing F all the time is Star Trek for you?

hmm.. *shrug* ok, good for you.

i'm not that impressed, i would like some actual gameplay, too bad STO's only gameplay mechanics are pew pew + hotkeys, + the universal F does everything button.

That does not leave much room for different experiences.

if for example i look at Battlefield 3, it amazes me with how few soldier classes and how few vehicle types every game you play can be a complete different experience, even on the same maps... 250 hrs into multiplayer and it still does not feel repetitive, even though it has roughly the same amount of maps as STO does by now.

In STO, no matter what class i play, no matter what art assets i shoot.... F F F Spacebar Spacebar Spacebar F Spacebar F Spacebar F F F...

the biggest gameplay challenge in STO seems to be to jump over the plasma in the Infected Ground Boss room...

sometimes i wonder if those players who keep falling in the plasma with a CAITIAN would ever be able to do stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zOerQ64Vc

aah good old Elite Force days...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I remember the 5 month long TNG episode where Picard had to grind rep for some aliens and needed a metric tribbleton of dilithium, too. AND the aliens lived in a dilithium poor section of the galaxy! Awesome times.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    running around in circles pressing F all the time is Star Trek for you?

hmm.. *shrug* ok, good for you.

i'm not that impressed, i would like some actual gameplay, too bad STO's only gameplay mechanics are pew pew + hotkeys, + the universal F does everything button.

That does not leave much room for different experiences.

if for example i look at Battlefield 3, it amazes me with how few soldier classes and how few vehicle types every game you play can be a complete different experience, even on the same maps... 250 hrs into multiplayer and it still does not feel repetitive, even though it has roughly the same amount of maps as STO does by now.

In STO, no matter what class i play, no matter what art assets i shoot.... F F F Spacebar Spacebar Spacebar F Spacebar F Spacebar F F F...

the biggest gameplay challenge in STO seems to be to jump over the plasma in the Infected Ground Boss room...

sometimes i wonder if those players who keep falling in the plasma with a CAITIAN would ever be able to do stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zOerQ64Vc

aah good old Elite Force days...

soooooooooooooo this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2012
    Season seven is a good start I'n the right direction
    For the game.

The biggest problem I see is replayability of
    The missions

The mission should be triggered like this

Intro by mission giver

Player given a choice......1-10 random paths for mission

Travel to mission start and trigger 1-10 various npc chosen
    1-10 weapon loadouts for npc, 1-10 special powers/armor/shields
    For Npcs chosen

Trigger lines I'n mission passed,rewards,attacks,reinforcements
    Maybe nothing happens, many of these Event triggers can be placed
    All over the map

Morality triggers for the story at crucial points I'n the game
    Can be placed

Opening a crate could spawn enemy or a bomb

Design missions like this and the replayability is very
    High
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For the people complaining about the control scheme:

Having a control set in which you have to grow an extra set of hands make this more Treklike how?

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    S7 doesn't have any new exploration, so don't know what you mean. They didn't even introduce a new nebula, except Azure, but it's just combat, not explore.

Not seeing how S7 instantly makes it a "star trek" game /shrug
  • lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    S7 doesn't have any new exploration, so don't know what you mean.

If you dont know "what I mean", then you didnt read the OP:
    exploring the "strange new world" that is New Romulus is the first truly "Trek" experience I have had in this game

But I'm guessing if you failed to even read what I wrote in the OP, this reply wont help you much either.
    edited November 2012
    Do you also view the Bajor update as "exploring the "strange new world"

Do you view adding Starfleet Academy as "exploring the "strange new world"

Do you view adding Defera as "exploring the "strange new world"

they've done things like this in the past, so I still fail to see how S7 is unique and all the sudden makes it "star trek"
    edited November 2012
    they've done things like this in the past,

They have never created an open zone this large, nor on a planet that is supposed to be largely un-colonized. The examples you just mentioned are both much smaller and on planets that have already been "explored". If its not your cup of tea, or doesnt live up to your expectations, thats fine. But feigning ignorance about what I am talking about is pointless unelss your goal is simply to troll.
    edited November 2012
    Do you also view the Bajor update as "exploring the "strange new world"

Do you view adding Starfleet Academy as "exploring the "strange new world"

Do you view adding Defera as "exploring the "strange new world"

they've done things like this in the past, so I still fail to see how S7 is unique and all the sudden makes it "star trek"
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100% agree
    They have never created an open zone this large

i can only give you its big and has a fleet base ops ment Embassy other then that its same as all thedoctorbluebox named out

funny i dont recall janeway picard sisko loveing to get them rocks i think they had bridge officer do that for them but that could be me :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i can only give you its big and has a fleet base ops ment Embassy other then that its same as all thedoctorbluebox named out

You dont have to "give" me anything. Everything I said in my previous post is 100% accurate, whether you agree with it or not.
  • landonkentlandonkent Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I too am quite happy with the additions it is all very trek.
    It is sad to see the state of the forums these days though even more negative than I remember them being.
    edited November 2012
    You dont have to "give" me anything. Everything I said in my previous post is 100% accurate, whether you agree with it or not.

well i did :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    well i did :)

Nah, I didnt take it :)
    edited November 2012
    Nah, I didnt take it :)

well it will always be waiting for ya :P lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • tali9999tali9999 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Again, the only problem with Romulus is the Replayability.

I might find fun going the first time with one of my character and doing all the mini-gathering quests but will i want to redo it again with my 11 other chars? Honestly, i think not.

It is a nice change of pace and a different experience compared to the other content we have but again i feel all of this required a huge investment of Dev time for something we might like to only see once.

Time will tell...
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So let me put this question out to ya'll:

If the new Romulus map was still exactly the way it is, but instead of actually playing as you're character they had you controlling one of you're bridge officers while you're captain was off talking diplomatic like with the Romulan leaders, would that have made this feel more trek for you?

If not then what do you think they could have added?

Personally I agree with the others that it's more of a step in the right direction. I actually have a multi-mission proposal that would bring a truly explore strange new worlds and seek out new civilizations feel to the clusters/nebula.

I don't know what the locked parts of the map are yet or how the story line goes for those yet, but I think if they had made it where you played as one of your bridge officers and gave it more of a survey team feel and you actually took those samples to your ships labs and had some type of mini-game for analyzing the samples it would have really added the feeling of true scientific research, but again a step in the right direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    tali9999 wrote: »

I might find fun going the first time with one of my character and doing all the mini-gathering quests but will i want to redo it again with my 11 other chars? Honestly, i think not.

It is a nice change of pace and a different experience compared to the other content we have but again i feel all of this required a huge investment of Dev time for something we might like to only see once.

Time will tell...

I agree, I do not think I would enjoy playing this on multiple characters. However, on my main, I have no problem replaying one section each day for the daily.
    edited November 2012
    voicesdark wrote: »
    So let me put this question out to ya'll:

If the new Romulus map was still exactly the way it is, but instead of actually playing as you're character they had you controlling one of you're bridge officers while you're captain was off talking diplomatic like with the Romulan leaders, would that have made this feel more trek for you?

If not then what do you think they could have added?

how about this let me do the diplo talk whlie the boff get the rocks that be trek to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tali9999 wrote: »

Time will tell...

Keep in mind a few things:

1) It's easier to add content to a zone like this than to add episodes.

2) We haven't seen all of the content there because it's gated.

3) You really only need to visit the sector block once a week or so. You don't need to repeat the Romulan missions daily just because you CAN. One run around the area a week gets you enough marks to do the rep projects for a week. Within the first week, you're T1 and have new stuff to do. So you repeat once a week and then at various intervals over your 70 or so day rep grind, more and more missions open up. Plus the space missions feature random events like the Enterprise and Iconians to spice things up and a variety of dialogue puzzles on different attempts.

I think many of the complaints seem to stem from the idea that you have to be headquartered on New Romulus. You don't, really. You might want to stop by daily for some DOffing but the rep grind doesn't really call for you to do anything more than an extended weekly visit if you'd rather be somewhere else.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100% agree

funny i dont recall janeway picard sisko loveing to get them rocks i think they had bridge officer do that for them but that could be me :rolleyes:
    You apparently missed whole episodes of Janeway playing science with the rest of the Voyager crew, or Sisko scanning tribbles in the distant past.

Star Trek captains are, and have always been, incredibly hands-on. In fact, "sending bridge officers to do stuff" is very NOT Trek-like.
    edited November 2012
    You apparently missed whole episodes of Janeway playing science with the rest of the Voyager crew, or Sisko scanning tribbles in the distant past.

Star Trek captains are, and have always been, incredibly hands-on. In fact, "sending bridge officers to do stuff" is very NOT Trek-like.

nope didnt miss them for the reason they did not do stuff like that every EP for that was the job of there crew

and last part makes me lol for that how picard was lol :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2012

True to a point however

Watch TOS
    Spock
    scan for that
    Bones
    get him to sickbay
    Scotty
    get my weapons working !
    Sulu
    lay I'n a course for Risa !
    Checkov---polish that console
    Uhura
    Call me baby :)

Kirk did get his hands dirty a little but used commands
    To his crew a lot more than the others
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited November 2012
    There is no replayability for New Romulus, once you've done everything, you've done everything, doing it over and over and over again, the exact same thing, gets boring fast. I don't consider that "exploring strange new worlds" as the op puts it.

Now, give us a new mission, such as the FE series, with a storyline that we can actually play, with both space and ground missions, then we might have something. As it is, all I've seen Cryptic do is give us one more social zone we don't really need.