test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reward ships labeled "Prototype"...a hint?

misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPECULATION!

Hello, as you may have noticed the "unique ship variants" we're receiving as a reward for being a Veteran or a Lifer are called:

"Prototype Heavy Destroyer: Peghqu' Class"

"Prototype Heavy Destroyer: Chimera Class".

This somewhat reminds me of the 2 year reward Federation and Klingon flagships we received for free for completing a mission.
They were basically the prototype versions (even though they were not labeled as such) of the ships that ended up in the C-Store (with three different variants each).

So what do you think:

It has been said that these "unique ship variants" would not end up in the C-Store, but what about additional variants of these ships?

Given your own personal opinion (that's all we have after all) will Cryptic, in a month or two, repeat what they did with the Flagships and sell additional variants of these ships in the C-Store?

Please remember this is all speculation on my part.
Don't treat it as fact because it's not, just a thought that occured to me that I'd like to bring to the table.

Thank you.
Post edited by misterde3 on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "Prototype"? I got a funny feeling about this...... :rolleyes:

Well, at least we get a free ship. Likely have to pay $20 for the Fleet version. :P
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I dont think I would mind Cryptic releasing a fleet version for every one. So long as having the reward version entitles me to buy it with just one fleet module, as is the system with the fleet versions of C-store ships.
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So long as having the reward version entitles me to buy it with just one fleet module, as is the system with the fleet versions of C-store ships.

If the 600 vet ships are anything to go by, I highly doubt this would be the case and 4 modules would be required.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm sure that they'll release another version, whether fleet or C-Store. The one we get given has 9 consoles, compared to the 10 for Fleets and for the C-Store flagships. Thus just like the flagships, the ones given out will be weaker than the bought ones, which I have a problem with. I don't want them to be stronger than the later ones, just comparable and more versatile. A universal console slot, which modifies the bonuses a little depending on what kind of console you put into that slot would be amazing and make the ship very unique, not to mention more desirable. Though as it is, it is a very nice ship; one that my Engies will enjoy flying.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ahem...

... I made this call yesterday. Said it would be a 9 console ship, and not have Fleet-style stats. Pointed out the word "Variant". Didn't even need to the word prototype to do it.

Heck, remember when the Odyssey had an extra Uni Slot on TTS, then it was gone for live? Called that they were going to sell that back to us with a +1 and a console. Gotta admit they did surprise me by selling it back to us with two others that were roughly the same though.

Remember when the Odyssey released with 10 consoles and higher stats and Geko told us that wasn't a sign of things to come, and that they wouldn't be updating older ships? Called that they'd be selling us those updates... and oh looky at those Fleet Ships.

They'll get a few ship collectors to buy LTSes. Then they'll release the slightly upgraded/different CStore version. They'll get a few folks to buy that, then they'll release the slightly upgraded Fleet Version.

Cryptic couldn't get any more predictable if they sent everyone advance notice in written form that had been signed, witnessed and notarized.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cryptic couldn't get any more predictable if they sent everyone advance notice in written form that had been signed, witnessed and notarized.

And yet there will be plenty of players still gasping in surprise as they discover Cryptic Studios is a for-profit business with employees that have to feed their families and pay their bills, and that it isn't a charity or a gov't subsidized corporation that operates at a loss.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tali9999tali9999 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Here is the thing. There is only one variant of this ship that will be playable as soon as tomorrow morning so obviously i needed to get that one now now now. Because you never know, Earth could esplode and i could be dead before the end of the month.

So no matter what happens and how many variants or prototypes Cryptic will come up with later on, cold fact remain that the LFT ship will be the only one accessible as soon as tomorrow.

I do not have to think any further than this. Vulcan logic :)

And if there are better ship variants happening later then so be it. Que sera sera. If it happens, it happens.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ahem...

... I made this call yesterday. Said it would be a 9 console ship, and not have Fleet-style stats. Pointed out the word "Variant". Didn't even need to the word prototype to do it.

Sorry I missed your post.
    I enjoy reading them and your input.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Sorry I missed your post.
    I enjoy reading them and your input.

I wouldn't have expected anyone to have read it. It was sandwiched into a monster thread, and I was just being sardonic here because, hey, I gotta be me...
  • baracura28baracura28 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    PWE is making the rules, not Cryptic. Remember the take over? ;)
    Talking to my self, asking stuff to my self, definitely not understanding my self. Such is the life of an overworked Starfleet admiral.
  • resolutevoiceresolutevoice Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have a feeling that what we are seeing with the LTS ship variant is a skin of the ship (heavy destroyer) that will be released to the rest of us as the Vesta.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i am thinking the non console version will be in the fleet store next year
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Or another ship with a console that goes with this one as part of a set. :rolleyes:
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    iconians wrote: »
    And yet there will be plenty of players still gasping in surprise as they discover Cryptic Studios is a for-profit business with employees that have to feed their families and pay their bills, and that it isn't a charity or a gov't subsidized corporation that operates at a loss.

A company can make money without being twats.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Id like to see a variant of this ship in the c-store and/or the fleet store. Think it could use a 4 aft weapon slot and a 10th Console to make it even more unique
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPECULATION!

Hello, as you may have noticed the "unique ship variants" we're receiving as a reward for being a Veteran or a Lifer are called:

"Prototype Heavy Destroyer: Peghqu' Class"

"Prototype Heavy Destroyer: Chimera Class".

This somewhat reminds me of the 2 year reward Federation and Klingon flagships we received for free for completing a mission.
    They were basically the prototype versions (even though they were not labeled as such) of the ships that ended up in the C-Store (with three different variants each).

So what do you think:

It has been said that these "unique ship variants" would not end up in the C-Store, but what about additional variants of these ships?

Given your own personal opinion (that's all we have after all) will Cryptic, in a month or two, repeat what they did with the Flagships and sell additional variants of these ships in the C-Store?

Please remember this is all speculation on my part.
    Don't treat it as fact because it's not, just a thought that occured to me that I'd like to bring to the table.

Thank you.

The Production models are destined for a lockbox? maybe?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    prototypes? fleet variants? oh I definately see that, they pulled it with the oddy but I imagine they probably won't put it in for awhile, why get someone to cough up 20 bucks in fleet modules for a ship when they could be willing to spend 200 bucks. I honestly wouldn't expect a fleet production variant until sometime next year, maybe spring.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So what do you think:

Now what I could see is a Fleet Varient that requires...
    • A Tier 5 Fleet Starbase Shipyard to produce.
    • the ownership of an existing ship. (like the Dilithium store requires a Galor to purchase Spiral Wave Disruptors)
    This would encourage the continuation of a large money sink (Unlike the C-Store's one time purchase) and get more income out of lifers...