test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Artox carrier I need help (I am an engineer)

fangwolf1fangwolf1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Federation Discussion
There are problems I am discovering with what I have in PVE where I mostly do STF's sometimes the invisible torpedoes just take down my shields and two seconds later bam im at 30% health or i blow up(still think its a bug). The second problem I have is in PVP my shields just don't last long enough to support the ship weapons wise its a joke in PVP to be honest anyway I need some help clearly as what I have is not working and its making pvp annoying.

What i have discovered is tactical commanders somehow can get through my shields very fast regardles if its Klingon or federation.

Would appreciate any help and yes I am prepared to spend $5.00 just to go and get a respec token.

This is what I currently have for weapons, consoles and skills:

two Tetryon Beam Array Mk XII [Acc][CrtH] [Borg]
one Tetryon Beam Array Mk XI [Acc] [CrtH] [Borg]
one Assimilated deflector Array
one Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines
one Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array
two Tetryon Turret Mk XII [Acc] [CrtH] [Borg]

Engineering console:

Neutronium Alloy Mk XII (uncommon) (+17.5 Kinetic Damage Resistance, +17.5 All Energy Damage Resistance)
Neutronium Alloy Mk XI (rare) (+17.5 Kinetic Damage Resistance, +17.5 All Energy Damage Resistance)
Ablative Hull Armor Mk XI (rare) (+26.2 Phaser,Disruptor.Plasma, Tetryon Damage Resistance)

Science Consoles:

one Assimilated Module
one Theta Radiation Vents
one subspace jumper
one Field Generator Mk XI (+17.5 Maximum Shield capacity)

Tactical Consoles:

Tetryon Pulse Generator Mk X (+26.2 Tetryon Damage to get the +30% ones it will cost me around 100m energy credits )

Hanger

two Advanced Danube Runabouts (has Phaser Array, Chroniton Torpedoes, Tractor Beam II)

Ship Stations:

Tactical :

Tactical Team I, Attack Pattern Delta I

Engineering:

Emergency Power to Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I, Auxillary Power to teh Structural Integrity Field II

Science:

Hazard Emitters I, Transfer Shield Strength II, Photonic Officer II, Charged Particle Burst III

Hazard Emitters I, Transfer Shield Strength II, Polarize Hull III

my skills:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34gk7pi.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/23ihyc3.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/za7bl.jpg
Post edited by fangwolf1 on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2012
    also if you want I can go and buy ships just for their consoles to switch with the consoles i have currently
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your build isn't that bad, however, you have some CD issues.
    Gear: Keep three part assimilated set, but switch the shields for maco X, XI, XII whichever is most feasible.

General: bind redistribute shields to your space bar, don't rely on tac team to do that for you.

BO:
    TT1: APD1
    EptS1: RSP1: Aux2Sif2 (alternatively ES2)
    TB1:HE2:TSS3:VM3
    TB1:HE2:ST3

DOFFS: 2x Shield Distro Doff, 3x System Tech (VM buff)
    Alternatively: 2x Shield Distro, should always stay for the remaining three slots: Systems Tech, Flight Deck Officers, and Doffs to reduce CD on Sci Team, and Tac Team come to mind. There is a lot of room for free styling.

Consoles: Kill one of the armors and include a SIF generator: I never fly without eps console, but you only get something out of it when switching energy settings a lot.

SCi: drop most of you universal consoles: Keep Assim (and theta if you wish) and add either flow cap or a second Field Gen.

Tac: is ok.

You are short on Sci resist skills, and short on buffs for your own Sci skills. The atrox is a sci ship, after all. A respec can help you get more mileage, but see how you like the above changes first. repsecs are expensive after all.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    havam wrote: »
    Your build isn't that bad, however, you have some CD issues.
    Gear: Keep three part assimilated set, but switch the shields for maco X, XI, XII whichever is most feasible.

General: bind redistribute shields to your space bar, don't rely on tac team to do that for you.

BO:
    TT1: APD1
    EptS1: RSP1: Aux2Sif2 (alternatively ES2)
    TB1:HE2:TSS3:VM3
    TB1:HE2:ST3

DOFFS: 2x Shield Distro Doff, 3x System Tech (VM buff)
    Alternatively: 2x Shield Distro, should always stay for the remaining three slots: Systems Tech, Flight Deck Officers, and Doffs to reduce CD on Sci Team, and Tac Team come to mind. There is a lot of room for free styling.

Consoles: Kill one of the armors and include a SIF generator: I never fly without eps console, but you only get something out of it when switching energy settings a lot.

SCi: drop most of you universal consoles: Keep Assim (and theta if you wish) and add either flow cap or a second Field Gen.

Tac: is ok.

You are short on Sci resist skills, and short on buffs for your own Sci skills. The atrox is a sci ship, after all. A respec can help you get more mileage, but see how you like the above changes first. repsecs are expensive after all.

aright I will make the modifications I was thinking a bit about the Point Defense System console and I don't mind spending $5.00 to respec as what I have there is when I was flying my dreadnought and clearly its not working here.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I actually have a fair bit of advice here.
    fangwolf1 wrote: »
    This is what I currently have for weapons, consoles and skills:

two Tetryon Beam Array Mk XII [Acc][CrtH] [Borg]
    one Tetryon Beam Array Mk XI [Acc] [CrtH] [Borg]
    one Assimilated deflector Array
    one Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines
    one Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array
    two Tetryon Turret Mk XII [Acc] [CrtH] [Borg]

Shrug whatever weapon type suits your fancy. I just happen to prefer the procs from either phasers or disruptors. But like I say whatever weapon type you like.
    I would trade out those shields post haste.
    the Borg set is cool.
    No need for that neat Green tractor beam you get for 4 pieces.
    3 pieces, hell 2 is usually good enough.
    I suggest doing what it takes to get the MACO shields, and possibly deflector , and be running 2 piece borg , 2 piece MACO
    But definately the shield.
    I suggest the Paratrinic Shield Array you get from some Klingon Storyline mission in the interim until you get the MACO shields
    Engineering console:

Neutronium Alloy Mk XII (uncommon) (+17.5 Kinetic Damage Resistance, +17.5 All Energy Damage Resistance)
    Neutronium Alloy Mk XI (rare) (+17.5 Kinetic Damage Resistance, +17.5 All Energy Damage Resistance)
    Ablative Hull Armor Mk XI (rare) (+26.2 Phaser,Disruptor.Plasma, Tetryon Damage Resistance)

These all look fine to me.
    Science Consoles:

one Assimilated Module
    one Theta Radiation Vents
    one subspace jumper
    one Field Generator Mk XI (+17.5 Maximum Shield capacity)

You are a big slow carrier that turns like a slug. You have no need for the Theta Vent (small fast ships dropping that cloud where it needs be, not big slow beasts like you). Also see no need for the Subspace Jumper. I'd replace these with another Field Gen and a generator console to match the Sci skills you run.
    Tactical Consoles:

Tetryon Pulse Generator Mk X (+26.2 Tetryon Damage to get the +30% ones it will cost me around 100m energy credits )

get the Mk XI Blues when you can. Tetryon is crazy expensive right now.
    these are the right consoles for the energy you use, no issues there.
    Hanger

two Advanced Danube Runabouts (has Phaser Array, Chroniton Torpedoes, Tractor Beam II)

I like Danubes a lot.
    Ship Stations:

Tactical :

Tactical Team I, Attack Pattern Delta I

Maybe think about replacing one of your front beams with a cannon and change APdelta to a cannon skill like Rapid Fire. I am just not a fan of AP delta.
    Engineering:

Emergency Power to Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I, Auxillary Power to teh Structural Integrity Field II

Science:

Hazard Emitters I, Transfer Shield Strength II, Photonic Officer II, Charged Particle Burst III

Hazard Emitters I, Transfer Shield Strength II, Polarize Hull III

Why Photonic Officer ? Thats a Lcdr Sci Slot. You could Grav Well , and get all kinds of control powers with these Sci slots. Tractors, etc. Hold those enemies in place, lower their defense and let your Hangars do the work they are supposed to do. i would think about using those Sci stations for some control powers. get a Sci captain to train you Grav well 3 in the Cdr Slot. Just my approach in my carrier and it works great.
    [/quote]

Okay. Buy the respec. This is where I have real advice.
    You have A LOT of skills racked up to rank 9.
    Look at the curve.
    First 3 levels of a skill +10
    Second 3 +5
    last three +1

No Captain trainable skill requires you be above 6 in the associated skill.

If you respec and take some of those skills down to 6 instead of 9, you will have a ton of points to spend on things like engine performance, auxillary performance, armor reinforement, inertial dampners, some sci skills assosciated with the powers you choose.

What I am getting at is. If the skill is an Admiral Skill say (cost 3000 per rank)

Take Energy Weapons Specialization

You spend 9000 to get +30
    The next 9000 gives you +15 more in the skill
    The final 9000 you spend on it, gives you only +3 more.

In my build, those points are best spent on more varied skills that support my Science skills, like starship Graviton generators.

Also , remember your Doffs !
    get good space doffs.
    Flight Deck Officers are pretty much a gimme on a carrier.

k thats what I got. Hope it helps
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Also , before you use your respec.
    once you have it on the character.
    Copy yourself over to tribble.
    Do the respec there and make sure you are doing exactly what you want.

As Havam says, respecs are expensive.
  • Options
    kylesal24kylesal24 Member Posts: 312
    edited September 2012
    Hey and hope you set up your Atrox to be feared! My favorite ship, but I am tac so take this with a grain of salt.

3-peice Borg with MACO shield is the best.

DHC and Turrets are the best for weapons, but being an eng this may not work as well. If you have the EC give it a try.

Tac: TT 1, CRF 1 if you have cannons. If not then get one of the Attack Patterns.

Eng: EPtW 1, RSP 1, AUXtSIF 2. You can switch RSP for something else, but it is great agarist alpha strikes.

Sci: HE 1, TSS 2, TR 2. TR is up to you, I am thinking of changing it for PO and trying that.

Sci: HE 1, TSS 2, Anything here, ( I have PH 2 and TSS 3 right now.) GW 3.

Consoles: Eng is Armor. Just get the Neutronium armor.

Sci is Field Gentorators, at least 2. Then the Borg console.

Tac is Energy Damage consoles.

Hangers: I just use Prigtures. I Am a DPS Carrier if you have not guessed yet. :D

If you have any other questions then fire away!

Kyle
    Delta Fleet Command
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I just remembered I have seen two extra problems that I just thought of in PVP i have seen some carriers use some sort of power sucking pet and as such I never notice my power going down to pretty much 0 and that is why I thought hey what about the point defence system console could that solve my pet vs pet issue?

Also I have not done anything yet just going to wait around here for more responses and then figure out where I want to go.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your deflector and shields are not good, as was stated above. MACO deflector and shields are best.
    Neutronium alloy is TRIBBLE. Abltative and Tetraburnium are best vs energy damage and one Monotanium vs kinetic.
    Your weapons are not bad, but if you can buy, get them with Acc3 modifier.
    You don't need subspace jump on carrier. Put something more useful.
    BO eng. skills are not good. Shields are more important than hull. Use skills that powering them up.
    BO sci. are not well for PvP, as carrier is support vessel and damage absorber.

Regarding your survivalability: don't forget captain skills like change shield frequency, etc. You have to buff yourself all time in PvP.

Yes, Point defense system will wipe fighters.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So after taking everyone's advise I went ahead and made a few modifications and I am happy with the result so far plus I had some great luck yesturday...

here is my current build and skills it works but I am thinking about replacing that engine with a MACO one...

Front: http://i48.tinypic.com/2e5nqyg.jpg
    2 Disruptor Beam Array Mk XII [Acc][CrtH][Borg]
    1 Disruptor Dual Cannons MK XII [Acc][CrtH][Borg]

Picture of Deflector, engine, shield: http://i45.tinypic.com/li5qv.jpg

Deflector:
    M.A.C.O. Graviton Deflector Array Mk XII
    Engines:
    Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines
    Shield:
    M.A.C.O. Resilient Shield Array Mk XII

Back:
    http://i46.tinypic.com/14t3dhj.jpg

3 Disruptor Turret Mk XII [Acc][CrtH][Borg]

Engineering:
    2 Ablative Hull Armor Mk XI [Rare][+26.2 Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Tetryon Damage Resistance]
    1 Tetraburnium Hull Armor Mk XI [Very Rare] [+28.1 Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron,
    Aniproton Damage Resistance

Science:

one Assimilated Module [ Thinking of replacing with a third Field Generator]
    one Point Defense System (enjoy using this in PVP vs other carriers and in PVE vs brog ships]
    Two Field Generator Mk XI [Rare][+17.5% Maximum Shield Capacity]

Tactical:

Two Disruptor Induction Coil Mk XI [Rare] [+26.2% Disruptor Damage] [Will cost 150M to get +30% disruptor Damage don't have that money on me]

and here my skills. The reason behind Structural Integrity is at full is that it is kind of important to have along with 7 pints in Warp Core Efficiency as this will help with power levels. I was thinking about point some points in Starship Subspace Decompiler but I decided against it as the Particle Generators are a tad bit more important at this present moment of time...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2nkib60.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/359h20n.jpg
    http://i48.tinypic.com/2znqpfs.jpg

my ship officer skills are now:

Ship Stations:

Tactical :

Tactical Team I, Cannon: Scatter Volley I

Engineering:

Emergency Power to Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I, Auxillary Power to the Structural Integrity Field II

Science:

Hazard Emitters I, Transfer Shield Strength II,Energy Siphon II, Gravity Well II

Science Team I, Tractor Beam II, Polarize Hull III

Overall I am quite pleased with the way things turned out I am thinking about changing the tractor Beam II to something else as I already have 8 runboats who can use their tractor beams. Any other advise to give would help a bit.
  • Options
    janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    here is my current build and skills it works but I am thinking about replacing that engine with a MACO one...
    Nope, your current engine is better. Plus, with engines and console you get hull regenerator set bonus.
    2 Disruptor Beam Array Mk XII [Acc][CrtH][Borg]
    1 Disruptor Dual Cannons MK XII [Acc][CrtH][Borg]
    Put Dual Heavy Cannons instead.
    Engineering:
    2 Ablative Hull Armor Mk XI [Rare][+26.2 Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Tetryon Damage Resistance]
    1 Tetraburnium Hull Armor Mk XI [Very Rare] [+28.1 Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron,
    Aniproton Damage Resistance
    Engineering consoles do not stack for 100%, so your second Ablative console has little effect. Put Monotanium console for kinetic resistance instead.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    taut0u wrote: »
    Nope, your current engine is better. Plus, with engines and console you get hull regenerator set bonus.

Put Dual Heavy Cannons instead.

Engineering consoles do not stack for 100%, so your second Ablative console has little effect. Put Monotanium console for kinetic resistance instead.

alright I also upgraded the other two armor's to another level as its like 8M to get a 2 point increase
  • Options
    hyprodimushyprodimus Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    fangwolf1,

Ill post what I can here, but unfortunately there is already so much bad information on this thread that might throw you off. If you really want good build help from people who know the game, post in the PvP forums. :)

Some people have already made theses suggestions, but Ill say them as well.
    For Survivability, Borg Engine, deflector and console with the Maco shield. Have 2 or 3 shield distribution doffs and 2 Lab development doffs.

You arent going to be the biggest damage dealer. But your advantage as a carrier is being able to heal, use high level science abilities and deal moderate damage too. This differs from a science vessel which is mainly for the high level sci abilities, and a cruiser which is mainly for sustained damage and heals.

Your damage will be coming from your pets. You can help them out by using Tetryon or phased tetryon damage. I would go with 6 beams and fly it like a cruiser. Do not put (dual/dual heavy) cannons on this. Sure it has the capacity for them, but with the horrendous turn rate and only 1 tactical Boff, you arent going to get much out of them. For the same reason, viral matrix and other directional abilities will be harder to use. I use Scramble III on my atrox because it is omni directional. By specializing into Countermeasures, you can get over 20 seconds of "confuse".

This is good in PvE if you hit a mob, they start attacking eachother. And great in PvP for pets, and also people. If the your target doesnt target the person he wants to heal, he might end up healing you! If the other team has dirty pets like Danube or Power Siphons, throw them a scramble and see if they like their own medicine. It also keeps you from sinking to their level and using those pets yourself.

With your inherent Eng abilities, plus Brace for Impact, plus the EPtS cycle going and the Borg procs, you should have more than enough heals for yourself and be able to share the global science team, 2x TSS and the hull heals. No need for RSP. You should have no problem getting 500k to 1mill healing per match and 200k damage.

Being a carrier in a Cap and Hold is awesome. Ive gotten so many kills from pets doing their thing 30km away and Im just sitting there capping a point. I didnt even see the other guy haha.

You will be keeping a high Aux setting most of the time unless its PvE, go max weapons.

As people have mentioned, keep the spec at mostly 6s. But for the lower tier skills, you can go with 9s.

Heres an example.
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=fangwolfAtrox_0

Ill explain the Boff layout.
    -2x tractor beams for control (and with the tractor doff, extra shield drain)
    -Scramble III for reasons above.
    -2x Transfer Shield III for heals. These can make someone feel invincible at high Aux. Unlike a cruiser running Extends, TSS cant be knocked off by a shockwave and can also be used for yourself.
    -Hazards, Aux to Sif, Sci-Team for general heals. Remember to get two Lab Development doffs for a global cooldown (15 sec) Science team. This allows you you spot heal shields or clear science debuffs like Sub nuke or scramble.
    -2x EPtS, rotating these is standard
    -Tac Team, all ships should have at least one copy to counter alpha strikes
    -Beta to help with damage

I use Advanced Peregrines and Stalkers myself. The stalkers are there to drain aux and the peregrines for general damage. Play around with pets to see what you like.

Hope that helps. And like I said, if you want real build help, go to the PvP forums.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2012
    This is a recent build of mine, which I am starting to like for my scitoon.

Keep in mind that The Atrox is a sci-ship carrier, that was designed for stand off battles. You support others in fleet actions, providing heals and a fair amount of damage through your pets. Beams arrays are usual for stand-off battles, but at the end of the day, they really don't deliver enough damage.

A recent console addition - subspace jump - adds a new level of fun and changes the value of the Atrox.

1. Use a pair of dual heavy cannons on the front, + 1 torpedo (quantum is my choice).
    2. Three turrets at the back.
    3. build out the bonuses for your energy type.
    4. Add the subspace jump console

In my case I went with tetryon (or phased tetryon where possible). As the atrox is a pig, I embrace it's slowness, rather than devoting anything to improve the turns. The subspace console is my back-door denouement.

Combat is usually like this:
    1. at 20KM set fighters for intercept. launch all wings.
    2. at 15km slow my approach so that I can stop just outside thier weapons range.
    3. set fighters to attack as I pass into 10km range
    4. open fire with my main guns. (Rapid fire is a bonus here). The tetryon weapons shred his shields. Sci defbuffs cut through his protection.
    5. Use tachyon beam to drain shields, or tractor beam on smaller targets to add structural damage.
    6. The fighters begin thier runs. smile as you watch 12 small quantum torpedos do thier nasty work. Usually the target will reciprocate against your pets, not you.
    7. Continue the frontal assault with the Atrox. In the case of smaller targets, close the distance. Spheres & higher, slow to a near stop.
    8. Heal & support your team mates, over and over.
    9. when your target is at 50% or less, use the subspace jump to move within 3km behind him. Unload into his tush.

The multiple sci-skills add variation to the same basic plan.

The Atrox is not escort - you can't get wet & dirty. You can still deal significant damage AND support your team if you leverage it's strengths and weaknesses.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, if your not using at least one beam for the innate target subsystems, you are wasting them. At least put a DBB in place of one of the DHCs if you must.

I find in a slow moving carrier, you do more damage with single cannons or beams then with duals. You simply can't keep the target in your sights long enough for it to be worth it. Of course if you are only running STFs with slow borg that you can anticipate their spawn points and be ready for them every time... yeah then it can work, but general purpose, those DHCs are going to be a liability.

I finally decided just to run 6x beams and let my perigrines handle the damage. a 6 beam broadside with 12 fighters is enough dps for me. I run heavy sci with aux maxed so cannons would be a waste due to power drain. I do consider torps now and again, and swap my APD1 for a TS2. I tend to hover near 84 weapon power due to cyclying EP:W2 and my MACO shield. I wonder if putting a torp fore and aft would be worth the loss of 2 beams due to power drain. I'd lose APD tho.

Edit: While I'm here, what I'm running.

6xPolaron beams
    MACO defector and shields
    Borg engine

tac: TT1, APD1
    eng: EPS1, EPW2, Aux2SIF2
    sci: Tractor Beam1, Scramble Sensors1, Tyken's Rift 2+3
    Polarize Hull1, HE2, TSS3

Doffs: Gravemetric Scientist:Tyken's Rift(chance to spawn aftershocks), 2xDamage Control Engineers(reduce cooldown on Emergenct power abilities), Conn Officer(reduce cooldown on Tac Team), Flight Deck Officer(switch out as I please, typically +25% accuracy in intercept mode)

I'm skilled into Flow Capacitors, else I'd chose grav wells and either phasers or anti proton.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard