test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

** REQUEST ** Star Trek Generations Uniforms

diesel2004diesel2004 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Federation Discussion
Originally, Star Trek Generations was suppose to have a uniform that was different than what appeared in the movie. I've always loved the mix of TNG uniform and the sleeves from the original series.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2lnrpi.jpg

http://www.trektoy.com/forum/gallery_images/1247200634/med_gallery_179_11_161567.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/startrek/images/u03_m_duty.png

Every other uniform has been added, you gotta complete the set.
Post edited by diesel2004 on

Comments

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They would be pure awesomeness!
    I really like them, especially since they look much more like uniforms instead of those Black leisure suits they wear since ST:8.
    I think they would be a great addition for STO and i would DEFINITELY buy them if they would release them.

Your last link shows a different, much longer uniform variant, maybe it could serve as a ceremonial variant.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have never seen those. It looks like a hybrid of the TNG and WoK uniforms.

I personally don't like them, the sleeve insignia look too out of place, but I wouldn't mind seeing them in-game. They certainly look better than STOs original uniforms :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I like that they have a clearly military look to them. They look very professional, yet honor both old school Naval Uniforms and TNG.
  • Options
    andyslashandyslash Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yep, its decided. Want soo much, that and my OCD wants everything TNG related.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest, the Jupiter uniforms are not THAT dissimilar to those.
    Well i think they are very different to Jupiter uniforms.

They are surely not made of plastic and they don't have any metall platings.
    They don't look like patchwork either. The generations uniform does not feature those annoying stripes in different colors like THAT, THAT or THAT uniform.

I would appreciate if the devs would release the Generations uniform. I was highly disappointed by the Jupiter uniforms when they where introduced. They looked much too chaotic and had way too much details on it.
    (did i already said that i hate plastic uniforms? :D)

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    / Not signed I like my current set and we all come from different eras of Star Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't know if I really care for them, plus they are to similar to regular TNG uniforms to which we already have two versions of.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    yreodred wrote: »
    Well i think they are very different to Jupiter uniforms.

They are surely not made of plastic and they don't have any metall platings.
    They don't look like patchwork either. The generations uniform does not feature those annoying stripes in different colors like THAT, THAT or THAT uniform.

I would appreciate if the devs would release the Generations uniform. I was highly disappointed by the Jupiter uniforms when they where introduced. They looked much too chaotic and had way too much details on it.
    (did i already said that i hate plastic uniforms? :D)

Live long and prosper.

I have argued before that those stripes are not a different color. they are the same color.
    It is the texture that the other parts of the uniform have that is completely missing that makes the difference.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    I have argued before that those stripes are not a different color. they are the same color.
    It is the texture that the other parts of the uniform have that is completely missing that makes the difference.
    I don't care if they are actually the same color, they LOOK like different colors, thats important to me.
    Ok maybe they are the same color, but why do they have use different materials?
    Anyway, it looks just stupid having a uniform with darker or (even more ugly) brighter stripes. I wouldn't say anything if we could color them serperately, so one could find a color to make them much less visible.

I find Cryptics uniforms much too overdone and ugly because of that. Sometimes they have nice basic ideas, but the implementation is horrible. They should hold much more on canon Starfleet uniforms instead of making something that doesn't even remotely looks like Starfleet.
    Just look at the Bajoran military Uniforms, althrough i don't find them especially good looking (or sympahtic, btw.) they look great, because they are made of the right material. Imagine those uniform made of Cryptics "plastic".. it would look horrible, just as most cryptics original uniforms.

If you ask me, i would prefer them to create new materials (cloth) for their original (sierra, antares and jupiter) uniforms, so they may be look good (or better) at last.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Many people were "complaining" (not only in STO) that Starfleets uniforms always looked like they didn't offer any protection from anything, something I do agree on. Often I thought wouldn't it be sensible to have some kind of "jacket" at least to wear on away missions, let alone tactical engagements?

Then came STO and I think the "plastic" looking uniforms are kinda meant to be "more protective", like the prototype combat suits featured in DS9s "Siege of AR-558". Whenever I see them, I think that it's just a more "protective" version of the uniform. It's still ugly but that's kinda explains it.

The "antares 2" pattern the NPC security wears (which now patrol ESD with drawn miniguns, btw...) was always something like the "hazard suit" from Elite Force in my eyes.

In my own little STO canon, my senior officers wear the last canon uniform (the TNG movie/late DS9 one). My junior officers/regular crewmen up until 1st Lt. wear the DS9 uniform in late DS9 color pattern, effectively a simpler version of it also lacking the sleeve stripes. Those Antares-Security guards are "tactical offiers" in my little world, rsembling the "hazard suit" from mentioned games since these kinda make sense as a "armour" fitting the overall style.

This way, I kind of explain away minor things that bug me. Can't fix the game, though :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Many people were "complaining" (not only in STO) that Starfleets uniforms always looked like they didn't offer any protection from anything, something I do agree on. Often I thought wouldn't it be sensible to have some kind of "jacket" at least to wear on away missions, let alone tactical engagements?

Then came STO and I think the "plastic" looking uniforms are kinda meant to be "more protective", like the prototype combat suits featured in DS9s "Siege of AR-558". Whenever I see them, I think that it's just a more "protective" version of the uniform. It's still ugly but that's kinda explains it.

True Starflet uniforms looked a bit "unprotective" on alien planets for example. I am all for introducing something like a Field jacket or something similar. But Cryptics uniforms look just too much like a Peacekeeper uniform than a Starfleet uniform for my taste. (As all of their designs they are just overdone, just too much)

My persomal preference would be to use a more classic Starfllet uniform on Starships, starbases and other "secure" places. I think the "Generations" uniform would be perfect for that, but thats just my opinion.

In case of away team missions, combat scenarios, or other unfriendly environments, Starfleet personell should wear some kind of field jacket, maybe something like they wore in Star Trek: II, just modernized (but never use plastic as main material of a Starfleet uniform).

In order to do that, we should be able to choose a field- or away team uniform which will automaticly be worn when going to a hostile environment or even a normal away team mission. I cannot imagine that this would be a big problem, IF the devs would be willing to implement a bit more immersion to STO.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Maybe just put the tng dress uniforms in, instead of the love boat/ splice with the tng dress unoforms that were so ugly they did not make it in game, and were not consistent with the uniforms of the time period and DS9 OR VOYAGER.

The jackets look as if they are not totally bad, but that is what they would wear on the love boat if it were star trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    To be fair, they are using the same design as the Countdown comic.

Also the Generations uniform is not a canon uniform and it seems it never made it beyond concept work as the movie and instead used the early DS9/VOY uniform, I can understand wanting then as a option but I rather see KDF selection being expanded.

Besides you can turn the gloss off the 25th century uniforms, just go into material and pick matte instead of gloss, no more shine.
    unfortunately this doesn't help much. If you turn off the "glossy" they look like they where made of rubber.
    Maybe just put the tng dress uniforms in, instead of the love boat/ splice with the tng dress unoforms that were so ugly they did not make it in game, and were not consistent with the uniforms of the time period and DS9 OR VOYAGER.
    I like the Generations uniform much more, at least they look like uniforms, instead of those black pyjamas they wore in DS9 and Voy, lol.

Seriously, i am waiting for this uniform since i started playing STO. They look much more like military uniforms, then the TNG series uniform, but still not as braggy as the WOK uniforms.

Sorry for writing so much in this thread but i really like this uniform, i think its a shame they didn't used them for the following movies, instead of those black bags they wore in ST:8-10.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Seriously, i am waiting for this uniform since i started playing STO. They look much more like military uniforms, then the TNG series uniform, but still not as braggy as the WOK uniforms.

Maybe this is the point. We both know that Starfleet is not a military and up until First Contact no uniform actually looked "military" except maybe the TOS movie one which paid a tribute to naval uniforms of the 18th century. The last canon uniforms look more "professional" but keep the "utility" look enough to not make them look like actual military uniforms.

I could imagine the Gnerations uniform as a ceremonial variation but it somehow at least to me doesn't look like something Starfleet would wear on regular duty, it's just too "shiney". DS9/VOY jumpsuits were efficient and kept the iconic colour patterns from TNG (the DS9 uniform is btw a variant of the TNG one, both were worn at the same time maybe to distinguish different corspes or something, mostly starbase personnel wore the DS9 variant).
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Of course starfleet is a military. They explore yes, but in times of war Starfleet is most certainly the military. It is the same as any Navy today, yes you serve about military vessels, but when a war is not occuring you do other tasks. I served at sea for several years, not everything as combat related. If starfleet was not military, the only other options were that they were privateers or mercenaries...and considering money had little appeal to Federation peoples...it had to be military.

I agree the uniforms look far more true to the true feeling of Star Trek. They blend the explorer and the authority of rank. They look like they command respect.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    No, it's not. I will say that the original purpose of Starfleet, especially in STO, is more and more blurry portrayed the further the universe progressed and I blame the rising militarism the real world and audience experienced for that (military became "cool" at some point, don't ask me when or why that happened. And that is by no means intended to be disrespectful, mind you.)

Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army. The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    No, it's not. I will say that the original purpose of Starfleet, especially in STO, is more and more blurry portrayed the further the universe progressed and I blame the rising militarism the real world and audience experienced for that (military became "cool" at some point, don't ask me when or why that happened. And that is by no means intended to be disrespectful, mind you.)
    Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army.
    I absolutely agree with you.
    Starfleet always was a "peacekeeping" institutuion, dedicated to science and exploration.

I think militarsim becomes "cool" when people get fearful.
    (what those people would never admit of course ;) )

The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.
    Wow, i didn't know that.
    But i don't think that this "Generations" uniform looks anywhere as militaristic as the WOK or Cryptics uniforms (especially the jupiter ones).

On the other hand i never liked those pyjama like uniforms they wore in Voy or DS9. I think they looked a bit too much like leisure suits and people didn't look antything like an authority when wearing them.
    The generations uniform is the perfect mix between those extremeties IMO.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I absolutely agree with you.
    Starfleet always was a "peacekeeping" institutuion, dedicated to science and exploration.

I think militarsim becomes "cool" when people get fearful.
    (what those people would never admit of course ;) )

That may be a possible explanation, but I don't want to step on anyones toes :D

Wow, i didn't know that.
    But i don't think that this "Generations" uniform looks anywhere as militaristic as the WOK or Cryptics uniforms (especially the jupiter ones).

On the other hand i never liked those pyjama like uniforms they wore in Voy or DS9. I think they looked a bit too much like leisure suits and people didn't look antything like an authority when wearing them.
    The generations uniform is the perfect mix between those extremeties IMO.

Live long and prosper.

It's true, some statements are quoted on Memory Alpha and came with the bonus material on a special DVD edition of the movies. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) even wrote about that in her book; ""Portraying Starfleet as a military organization flew in the face of everything Star Trek stood for [....] At one point I forcefully but tactfully reminded Meyer and (Harve Bennet) that Starfleet was the philosophical descendant of NASA, not the Air Force."

I know what you mean regarding the DS9 jumpsuits. I always thought about those are functional duty wear while there should be a formal version for representation duties. For example, take a look at Canada's famous mounted police. Their duty uniforms don't differ from your "average" policemen but the bright red one is their representation outfit. I could imagine the "Generations" design as something like this :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If they add these to the game can they make it so I can make the collars black instead of division colored?
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    that Starfleet was the philosophical descendant of NASA, not the Air Force.

Which is nice for the 1960s and 1980s but is problematic in 2012 seeing as NASA seems to be mostly doing Climate Change research stuff while the Air Force seems to be designing the spaceships.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    That may be a possible explanation, but I don't want to step on anyones toes :D

It's true, some statements are quoted on Memory Alpha and came with the bonus material on a special DVD edition of the movies. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) even wrote about that in her book; ""Portraying Starfleet as a military organization flew in the face of everything Star Trek stood for [....] At one point I forcefully but tactfully reminded Meyer and (Harve Bennet) that Starfleet was the philosophical descendant of NASA, not the Air Force."

I know what you mean regarding the DS9 jumpsuits. I always thought about those are functional duty wear while there should be a formal version for representation duties. For example, take a look at Canada's famous mounted police. Their duty uniforms don't differ from your "average" policemen but the bright red one is their representation outfit. I could imagine the "Generations" design as something like this :D
    My impression was that on starships they wore more formal Uniforms in contrast to the more practical jumpsuits on DS9. I was somehow confused when i first saw Voyager personell wearing DS9 uniforms.
    Maybe there was something like in STO going on, Captains maybe could choose what uniform to wear, since we saw Starship personel in DS9 (early seasons) wearing TNG uniforms.
    Anyway i like those uniforms, maybe for Starship officers to be weared, you know Captain, First Officer department leaders and so on.

Btw. i find it fascinating to read that the actors are more aware of Star Trek than the producers/directors.
    (I think that's something really remarkable, especially if you look at how things are nowadays.)

hartzilla wrote: »
    If they add these to the game can they make it so I can make the collars black instead of division colored?
    I hope so, but IF they introduce those uniforms i wouldn't be so sure since STOs designers tend to connect various uniform pieces to be used with the same color.
    (i hope my english is understandable.)

Which is nice for the 1960s and 1980s but is problematic in 2012 seeing as NASA seems to be mostly doing Climate Change research stuff while the Air Force seems to be designing the spaceships.
    I am sure she meant it on a philosophical level.

In all those "is Starfleet military or police or Science organisation" discussions i like the idea of Starfleet being the sucessor of NASA.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Well, she literally wrote "philosophical descendant". Also, in the 60s and 80s nobody knew that a few years later the US will become so terryfied by everything and everyone that they'll scrap their space program effectively for good in favour of even more humongous military fundings achieving, well, basically nothing.

Back then, I think many people had the hope that the cold war would end at some point and humanity would finally reach a state it could start to unveil the secrets of the world surrounding us. Instead, we are living in the 60s and 80s all over again, only worse since now we have robots to kill each other instead of probes venturing into deep space :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    diesel2004 wrote: »
    Originally, Star Trek Generations was suppose to have a uniform that was different than what appeared in the movie. I've always loved the mix of TNG uniform and the sleeves from the original series.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2lnrpi.jpg

http://www.trektoy.com/forum/gallery_images/1247200634/med_gallery_179_11_161567.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/startrek/images/u03_m_duty.png

Every other uniform has been added, you gotta complete the set.

OH YES! I would SNAP those up in a heartbeat! I've always preferred the "rank on sleeve" look anyway... seems more "Navy" and has a long and strong tradition in both military and civilian use (Airlines, Merchant Marines, etc.). I especially like the look of that last set if it had "scrambled eggs" on the sleeves.

Actually would love to see the "scrambled eggs" added as an optional variant for all uniform choices. :D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I would love to see these in a TNG pack. See these Generations uniforms with maybe some stuff from Yesterday's Enterprise. The Yesterday's Enterprise Bridge, the phaser belt option, the Ambassador Class, Ambassador Bridge, and the Galaxy Class hallways and engine room...we need some Yesterday's Enterprise in this game!

And I'm still waiting on my Ambassador Class. Thats the only ship left I would pay for.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    diesel2004 wrote: »
    I would love to see these in a TNG pack. See these Generations uniforms with maybe some stuff from Yesterday's Enterprise. The Yesterday's Enterprise Bridge, the phaser belt option, the Ambassador Class, Ambassador Bridge, and the Galaxy Class hallways and engine room...we need some Yesterday's Enterprise in this game!

And I'm still waiting on my Ambassador Class. Thats the only ship left I would pay for.
    I would prefer a Galaxy Class Battleship, like the Enterprise -D we saw in the alternate timeline.
    Changes to the Galaxy -R:

BOFFs:
    Two Lt. Tactical instead of one Lt. Tactical and one Lt. Science.

Consoles:
    Three Tactical Consoles instead of three Science Consoles.

Thank you for reading.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree that more uniforms should be added from the TV shows, and these ones look great, especially the ones on the last picture. I wouldn't wear it over my Jupiter uniforms, but it does look really nice.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army. The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.

They were more offended by how hot they were in the outfits and how much time and effort it took to put them on.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The "antares 2" pattern the NPC security wears (which now patrol ESD with drawn miniguns, btw...) was always something like the "hazard suit" from Elite Force in my eyes.

In my own little STO canon, my senior officers wear the last canon uniform (the TNG movie/late DS9 one). My junior officers/regular crewmen up until 1st Lt. wear the DS9 uniform in late DS9 color pattern, effectively a simpler version of it also lacking the sleeve stripes. Those Antares-Security guards are "tactical offiers" in my little world, rsembling the "hazard suit" from mentioned games since these kinda make sense as a "armour" fitting the overall style.

This way, I kind of explain away minor things that bug me. Can't fix the game, though :D

To be fair TNG uniforms have some kind of nanotechnology at work in them. They unzip with no zippers or buttons and probably have other properties. I always thought it didn't make sense when they visit other worlds without breath masks since many episodes have character getting infected with space diseases or mutated by them.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.