test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Connie / Miranda / NX joins Tuffli as "Doff ships"...

dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
Recently started levelling a Fed toon as a "DOffer", stopped running storyline missions as soon as I hit level 7, and am planning to DOff / Mirror event the rest of his levels to 50 before I start him on the storyline...

And, as I was replying to a thread about TOS uniforms in 2409, and reminiscing about my sig / desire / fight to get tier 1 ships up to late game specs, I had a flash of inspiration.

Since CBS doesn't want the highly nostalgic "Tier 1" ships (Connie, NX, Miranda) as viable "tier 5" combat ships, why not give them a different late-game use?

If my memory serves, the Tuffli freighter's "combat statistics" aren't much better than a tier 1 ship. Actually, I vaguely remember a statement saying that the Tuffli could be a viable "combat" ship for a new toon in those Lt. levels... (1-10), and after that it remains useful for DOffers / those looking for "alternate transportation".

Well, why can't the "C-store" Tier 1's (Connie, NX, Oberth) be "refitted" with Tuffli abilities (bank/mail/exchange, transwarp to nebulas, swap into as a shuttle then swap back with any ship from inventory, crafting station) - basically everything the freighter has but the quartermaster / access to cheap commodities, the consolodated (and maybe extra) DOff position, and security ship calling power. And, to complete the nostalgia set, create a "Miranda retrofit" for the starbase system with the freighter's powers?

Besides the "missing" powers to keep the "lockbox" freighter relevant, there's only two other issues I see with this proposal:
1. Bridges. Besides obviously restricting the Connie bridge to Connies only (if freighter bridge is restricted to Tufflis), some "refitting" would have to occur, to add the consoles etc. to the Connie bridge. Also, a new TMP-bridge would have to be built for the Miranda Retro and Oberth (I think they're preety much the same set) and NX, both with the appropriate consoles.
2. Vault. Currently, since the Tuffli is slotted in game as a "shuttle" to make the swap power work, it's viable/cleared for the Vault. Obviously, reclassifying these ships in this manner would open them up for vault work. However, if I understand correctly, some of the newer fighters and shuttles are one rear gun and a handful of hull/shield points away from being equivalent to a tier 1 ship, especially those with say 2 BOff slots and an innate power. And, just like the freighter, I'm not gonna advocate restructuring the remaining stats (maneuverability, etc.) of the Tier 1's to make them "shuttle equivalents".
Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    While I personally would like a reason to use my T1 collection at VA especially as a DOFFer myself... all of the above will not happen.

It would defeat the purpose of anybody wanting a D'Kora, Freighter, or whatever else they come up with that has these features.

The security transport (especially with the latest nerf) isn't as useful as it sounds, and cheap commodities are "meh" (<< personal opinion, the price difference is so small once you hit a certain point that hitting the replicator REALLY doesn't matter).

Neither of those are really a selling point of the freighter. The thing I honestly use it for the most is the ship selector. Besides that, to me it's just a 2nd D'kora without the DPS.

And to point out a correction the freighter has no "DOFF" console, you have to hit all your doffs to get your department head assignments. Bug/D'Kora/Galor/2x Tholians have the DOFF consoles.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    While I personally would like a reason to use my T1 collection at VA especially as a DOFFer myself... all of the above will not happen.

It would defeat the purpose of anybody wanting a D'Kora, Freighter, or whatever else they come up with that has these features.

D'Kora value hasn't dropped as a "mobile hub" with the release of the Tuffli, honestly, to me, the D'Kora's value is in it's tier 5.5 combat abilities (aka fleet retrofit) and it's canon design. I'm personally not seeing many other options for freighter abilities that aren't variants of the freighter already (Okana's ship?), heck, it took me a month or two to come up with this use. Thusly, the only remaining problem is (admittedly) the whole "I'm creating a variant freighter" competing with the already-existing Tuffli. However, I see the freighter maintaining value as the only "civilian" ship (mainly for the RP crowd, but still), if the TMP/NX bridge artist gets enough time to make those bridges the standard 3-zone style, the freighter keeps value as the only one-zone all stops bridge.
    The security transport (especially with the latest nerf) isn't as useful as it sounds, and cheap commodities are "meh" (<< personal opinion, the price difference is so small once you hit a certain point that hitting the replicator REALLY doesn't matter).

Neither of those are really a selling point of the freighter. The thing I honestly use it for the most is the ship selector. Besides that, to me it's just a 2nd D'kora without the DPS.

Continuing with my above train of thought, "value" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I want the freighter for the transwarps and the quartermaster - transwarps help me DOff on lunchbreaks and in raising my new DOff-toon (till he hits tier 4 diplo and/or level 45 where 3-5 STFs later hooks him up with the Borg engine), the quartermaster helps my new toon because I started as F2P and don't have a multi-million EC fund that allows me to splurge on almost anything I want while maintaining a comfortable cushion. Ship selector is a nifty utility that allows me to switch from "DOffing" to "play" without hitting up a hub. With this out in the open, I'm trying to come up with a viable "almost-freighter" that has an "appropriate" subset of the Tuffli's powers, not the "ultimate for me design that gives me what I want for "free" cause of my investment in the Connie". So, quartermaster goes (wouldn't necessarily be assigned on a mothball ship pressed into cargo duty) but transwarps (you'd think that putting freighter-ish engines on the converts would logically work) stays.
    And to point out a correction the freighter has no "DOFF" console, you have to hit all your doffs to get your department head assignments. Bug/D'Kora/Galor/2x Tholians have the DOFF consoles.

My bad, don't spend tons of time bridge hopping, and a quick scan of the Wiki seemed to indicate that the freighter had centralized DOffing... Heck, if the Wiki is really saying that the Tuffli has a personnel officer a-la the academies, that could be another power left off the Tier 1's to keep value in the Tuffli... Hard to tell without experience...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have a tuffli. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ferengi trader on the tuffli. The ferengi is like a department head that specializes in trade missions. Furthermore since the tuffli counts as a small ship, one can transfer to it in space and then from the tuffli to any other ship. That's very convenient. I don't know if the D'Kora has these but the tuffli also has a mailbox, bank, and exchange inside. The quartermaster which sells commodities at a discount is very useful with starbases because a starbase project can require 1000 of a commodity.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I will always be amazed by the time and efforts people will put in trying to get something the dev will never introduce in game. They said no, never, in no way, and people keep trying to get their toy like children who still don't understand the meaning of those words.

That's very entertaining. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I will always be amazed by the time and efforts people will put in trying to get something the dev will never introduce in game. They said no, never, in no way, and people keep trying to get their toy like children who still don't understand the meaning of those words.

I see you've decided to come out from under your bridge to grace us with your trolling. Hehe :P. So how are you today?
    edited July 2012
    shadore wrote: »
    I see you've decided to come out from under your bridge to grace us with your trolling. Hehe :P. So how are you today?

I feel like Garak flying a T5 connie. Why? :cool:
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited July 2012
    I feel like Garak flying a T5 connie. Why? :cool:

Garak is by far the best character in Star Trek, despite what all the Neelix fans will tell you, followed closely by Quark. Anyway, I ask because I'm just trying to make conversation.
    edited July 2012
    shadore wrote: »
    Garak is by far the best character in Star Trek, despite what all the Neelix fans will tell you, followed closely by Quark. Anyway, I ask because I'm just trying to make conversation.

Would you like a cup of tea with a piece of cake? Cardassians love good conversation!
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Glad you read my post all the way through...

You realize all us Connie fans can still slap that ship on our toons, and fly it into any end-game ship content. STF, Fleet mark mission, Borg alert, etc. etc. Only place it can't fly is the Vault.

Now, we all realize that taking a tier 1 ship, which is barely above a VA in a shuttle, into any of this end game content = fail for the team. Which is why new people keep trying to get a tier 5 Connie to stick.

As my sig used to indicate, why are TOS, ENT, and to a lesser extent TMP fans barred from having a late game ship that resembles what they watched on TV while "TNG Era" fans (TNG, DS9, VOY) now have 3 different versions of their TV show's ship. Tier 4, Tier 5 retrofit, Fleet retrofit. Yes, I grew up in the era when TOS reruns were the only Star Trek to exist (missed original run by 2/3rd a decade). I was a teenager when TNG came out, and it never quite caught my attention as much as TOS and the TMP era movies did...

We try, and we hope, that "old school" fans such as myself can get a sliver of love that the TNG fans get. Of course, "CBS" (it's never the Devs that say they don't want T5 Connies. It's always the devs say that CBS doesn't allow T5 Connies) has said that we're not allowed this...

I believe the quote bandied about in every "tier 5 Connie" discussion is "CBS has said no end-game combat worthy Connie or NX".

So, what part of "turn tier 1 ships, of which the Connie and NX are included, into slightly-stripped Tuffli freighters" comes across as making the Connie, NX, Oberth and maybe even the Miranda "end game combat worthy"? Well, outside the Vault...

• fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dareau wrote: »
    Glad you read my post all the way through...

You realize all us Connie fans can still slap that ship on our toons, and fly it into any end-game ship content. STF, Fleet mark mission, Borg alert, etc. etc. Only place it can't fly is the Vault.

Now, we all realize that taking a tier 1 ship, which is barely above a VA in a shuttle, into any of this end game content = fail for the team. Which is why new people keep trying to get a tier 5 Connie to stick.

As my sig used to indicate, why are TOS, ENT, and to a lesser extent TMP fans barred from having a late game ship that resembles what they watched on TV while "TNG Era" fans (TNG, DS9, VOY) now have 3 different versions of their TV show's ship. Tier 4, Tier 5 retrofit, Fleet retrofit. Yes, I grew up in the era when TOS reruns were the only Star Trek to exist (missed original run by 2/3rd a decade). I was a teenager when TNG came out, and it never quite caught my attention as much as TOS and the TMP era movies did...

We try, and we hope, that "old school" fans such as myself can get a sliver of love that the TNG fans get. Of course, "CBS" (it's never the Devs that say they don't want T5 Connies. It's always the devs say that CBS doesn't allow T5 Connies) has said that we're not allowed this...

I believe the quote bandied about in every "tier 5 Connie" discussion is "CBS has said no end-game combat worthy Connie or NX".

So, what part of "turn tier 1 ships, of which the Connie and NX are included, into slightly-stripped Tuffli freighters" comes across as making the Connie, NX, Oberth and maybe even the Miranda "end game combat worthy"? Well, outside the Vault...

Up until 3 weeks ago you could sneak one into the vault....XD.

And as to the intentions of my original post I _REALLY_ would like to see the NX bridge and use it as a DOFF ship, it was simply the "Great idea but I know this is never gonna happen" kinda response. I'd like to see the NX bridge anyways actuallys.. but as for now I guess I'll hold out for this elusive Voyager pack that has been mentioned by devs ...