test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How did this get here?

jg2112jg2112 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I was playing Starbase Incursion about a week ago and I noticed this. After a few more playthroughs I've seen it in those too. I went directly to them before anything was attacked, so it couldn't have been my team's fault. How did it get there? Maybe if you find a way to it it always contains and Orb Weaver.:D
Post edited by jg2112 on

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    A little magic and some taco seasoning.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • viperjockviperjock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    mmmmmmmm

taco seasoning....

break out the sour cream!
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It got mentioned in the tactic discussion thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=316591

Been trying to figure out a way to get up there but no luck so far.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A little magic and some taco seasoning.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I smell Shenanigans! This calls for further investigation....
  • lametiqolametiqo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you have a Caitain, jump towards the corners of the crates adjacent to the lockbox, then when you at a height level to the box, make a running jump and you'll make it. It's just fluff though, I wasted a good 60ish seconds getting up there after an incursion.
  • captexpendablecaptexpendable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You can do it without a Catian as well, for the record; there's a couple stepping-crates by the console along the left wall you can use to jump up onto the ledge running along the perimeter. You may want to try rolling at the height of the jump for that little extra bit of height.

And yes, it's only decorative; I'm sure the devs have a punchline somewhere in all this, but I'm not seeing it.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    On advice of my Counsel, I invoke my right to not answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    On advice of my Counsel, I invoke my right to not answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

sceptical_face.jpg
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    noticed those too, the standard jump height is not enough to grab those boxes, i just figured its another perk for playing as a furry, i mean cat thing :rolleyes:
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh really???
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    silly dev's being silly is silly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    noticed those too, the standard jump height is not enough to grab those boxes, i just figured its another perk for playing as a furry, i mean cat thing :rolleyes:

Actually, I managed to climb up there with my Liberated Borg Engineer today. With the Lockbox in the SW Corner.

The Lockboxes aren't lootable, it's just decoration. :(
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually, I managed to climb up there with my Liberated Borg Engineer today. With the Lockbox in the SW Corner.

The Lockboxes aren't lootable, it's just decoration. :(

Yeah, you can find one one half buried in the desert during the mission 'Coliseum' too; spent ages shuffling around it, trying to pick it up. :o
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Yeah, you can find one one half buried in the desert during the mission 'Coliseum' too; spent ages shuffling around it, trying to pick it up. :o

Let me guess, near the end, next to a cactus? Yeah, that one was put there in the last Featured Episode replay that yield the free Lobi for that mission.

Guess the Devs forgot to pick it back up. :rolleyes:
  • bludaggerbludagger Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Probably the smartest thing I seen you type for some time.
    ~no pun intended at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kingsrook2012kingsrook2012 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm sure a number of people have seen that lock box in the starbase incursion in the front left section of the combat zone, up on top of those crates. Has anyone been able to do anything with it? All I can do is stand next to it.

For the inevitable 'pics or it didn't happen'

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/350/screenshot2012073117414.jpg
    edited July 2012
    I;d have to find the thread but someone got up there and said it was non interactive.

It;s just for show.
  • kingsrook2012kingsrook2012 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If its just for show though, why'd they make it the 'this item can be collected' glowy thing?
    edited July 2012
    If its just for show though, why'd they make it the 'this item can be collected' glowy thing?

I've given up trying to explain the ways of Cryptic. Who knows.

edit: You may want to search for starbase Incursion. Like I said, this has been discussed before. I;d give a link but that just offends folks here.
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    my guess would be that in the future they will have an event like the Lobi Scavenger Hunt, and those lockboxes are where the Lobi will be.

You can still find some of the old Scavenger Hunt boxes sitting in some quests, unclickable now though.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Been trying to figure out a way to get up there but no luck so far.
    A Caitian/Feresan engineer with the cover shield ability might be able to get up to it.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    does anyone else pick up on the company's name?

come on I can't be the only one who sees it.

it must be in each employee's contract to be extremely misleading and dare I say "Cryptic"!!!

we cannot know this horrible horrible secret...live long and prosper.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    You guys always read so much more into things than is actually there.

This was entirely my doing, not some PWE conspiracy or a hint at some future event.

The idea for this map had been set, but it's flavor had not been. The visuals for this map went through a few revisions on what it could be (i.e. lab, computer core, etc.), on the drawing board before it was finally decided on storage/cargo bay. Someone said to fill it with crates. With all of the lockbox debates going on, and all of the people declaring that they just collect, but never open any of them, in my mind, this is the storage bay in your starbase where everyone dumps their lockboxes. I figured every crate was filled with lockboxes.

It was meant as a little nod, a wink, a joke. Perhaps in poor taste, but that's all it was meant to be.

Originally I had the holo-crate in the center be a lockbox, but figured that was too blatant, so I moved it off to the side, out of the way.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • captainbaldycaptainbaldy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012

This was entirely my doing, not some PWE conspiracy or a hint at some future event.

The idea for this map had been set, but it's flavor had not been. The visuals for this map went through a few revisions on what it could be (i.e. lab, computer core, etc.), on the drawing board before it was finally decided on storage/cargo bay. Someone said to fill it with crates. With all of the lockbox debates going on, and all of the people declaring that they just collect, but never open any of them, in my mind, this is the storage bay in your starbase where everyone dumps their lockboxes. I figured every crate was filled with lockboxes.

It was meant as a little nod, a wink, a joke. Perhaps in poor taste, but that's all it was meant to be.

Originally I had the holo-crate in the center be a lockbox, but figured that was too blatant, so I moved it off to the side, out of the way.

You so silly Mr. Taco!

I just had an idea though, unopened lockboxes would make a fun Starbase Project input or Doff mission.

"Supplement Depleted Torpedo Launchers with Lockboxes" or "Store Supplies on Starbase"

:D
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

that is exactly what I thought those lockboxes where a pun, smart TRIBBLE joke. funny in deed
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Funny... that's what I think for some reactions on these forums ;) And it causes so much unneeded frustration and yelling.

Luckily I think first then react by natural instinct :D
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I love the idea and think its Hilarious. Everyone seems to hate the lockboxes so lets add one to a map players can't get and see how badly they'll try to get it. The irony is delicious.
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I for one think it's funny.

No grand conspiracy there, just a developer having a little fun. I don't know how someone could find this troublesome or in poor taste?

Go, taco, go!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

it would have been perfect if you had one of the npc's in that starting hallway drop a line like

'why does the admiral fill all these cargo bays with those lockbox things? i'm worried about him'

everyone would have got the joke, seeing lock boxes stacked up high like that :D
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That type of joke, is why I love you.