test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Put Ship Tier restrictions on Public Fleet Actions

boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
I understand some people like the challenge of bringing a Miranda to a fleet action, but it isn't really fair to the others in the event.

You don't have the weapon slots or the hull strength to contribute to the fight and spend more time dead than alive, killing the group ability to earn fleet marks. You also mess up the already crappy loot drops. Instead of mk X and mk XI, you'll see mk II gear.

Would like to see Cryptic institute a rule that for any public queue event that requires a level 50 player, the players have to bring at least Tier 4 ships.

If you want to F up the already F'd up fleet mark grind, do it in a private event.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by boglejam73 on

Comments

• Options
    blitzsthblitzsth Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As much as I would like to agree with you. I can't

How is it fair to low level players to not be able to do any fleet action. I have a level 50 character and a level 26 character and I do want to be able to do FA with both of them.

Not all lowbies are useless. I was on my level 26 character (tank/healer) in my heavy cruiser yesterday doing FA's and we completed the defense mission with no real difficulties. I knew I could not do any real DPS, So I found a TAC captain stuck by him and throw heal after heal at him, buffing his shields(wait does that sound dirty) so he could lay down more DPS and make up for my lack of it.

I know it can be frustrating getting stuck with under powered players (STF elites are full of them), but cutting out a part of the game from them is not really an answer. I learned on my level 50 doing Elite STFs, don't GUP with quick play, if you want to be successful. Find a group in your fleet or go around chatting to people and find a few dedicated people. Who like yourself want to GUP and do private matches, away from the random lowbies.
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    going to have to agree with OP ... i did a fleet action the other night and a lvl 8 came in witha miranda and just kept dieing constantly and another lvl 24 guy was there.. was just to little DPS and fleet rep to actually do the waves fast enough, failed on wave 3 :( i was not happy and wasnt fair on the rest of us who needed those fleet marks, the fleet actions shoudl be segragated by rank rather than level though
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    blitzsth wrote: »
    As much as I would like to agree with you. I can't

How is it fair to low level players to not be able to do any fleet action. I have a level 50 character and a level 26 character and I do want to be able to do FA with both of them.

Not all lowbies are useless. I was on my level 26 character (tank/healer) in my heavy cruiser yesterday doing FA's and we completed the defense mission with no real difficulties. I knew I could not do any real DPS, So I found a TAC captain stuck by him and throw heal after heal at him, buffing his shields(wait does that sound dirty) so he could lay down more DPS and make up for my lack of it.

I know it can be frustrating getting stuck with under powered players (STF elites are full of them), but cutting out a part of the game from them is not really an answer. I learned on my level 50 doing Elite STFs, don't GUP with quick play, if you want to be successful. Find a group in your fleet or go around chatting to people and find a few dedicated people. Who like yourself want to GUP and do private matches, away from the random lowbies.

I might not have been specific enough in my title but did you see the part where I said "Would like to see Cryptic institute a rule that for any public queue event that requires a level 50 player, the players have to bring at least Tier 4 ships"?

I know you can't keep newbs out of everything, but NO Win Scenerio (and I think a couple of the others) require you to be a level 50 character. No reason to allow people to bring a Centaur to that fight.

As a compromise, they could run two versions of the events, one open to anyone in any ship, the other open to endgame level characters with Tier 4 or higher ships. They already offer two versions of the STF queues (normal/elite) so this shouldn't be terribly difficult to implement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe this?

Event rewards should inverse scale

so a LT gets most marks
    a Lt com next most
    a com next
    and so on
    with VA and LG getting the least

This would encourage fleets to recruit lower ranks and make for more realistic fleets

note i am not saying cut the award for a VA just add a bonus (say 2 mks) per rank below it
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Maybe this?

so a LT gets most marks
    a Lt com next most
    a com next
    and so on

This would encourage fleets to recruit lower ranks and make for more realistic fleets

note i am not saying cut the award for a VA just add a bonus (say 2 mks) per rank below it

Thats fine. Would be good especially for private queues run by a specific fleet so that the fleet members could all play together.

My problem is in the non-private queues. I'm not really interested in if LT Joe from the Shmoe Fleet gets his marks specifically. I'm more interested in all team players being able to earn marks without having to carry dead weight.

A ship with 2 forward and 1 aft weapon isn't bringing anything to the fight and on No Win Scenerio, you may not even reach wave 3. So now you have to wait for the cooldown and all you got out of the effort was 2 fleet marks? In an event that you have to be a VA to even queue for? That makes no sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I haven't checked the requirements of all the new queues, but at least one of them, Starbase Defence perhaps, allows anyone from LT.2 and up to enter. I think the real solution is to readdress the lackluster boosting mechanic (which I find doesn't compensate lower level players enough considering their lack of utility in fighting hard enemies due to their shortfall in BOs) and explore better avenues for group loot distribution in such mixed leveled groups.

It can be quite difficult at times to find enough people in your level bracket to run content. If you only want tier 4+ high ranked players, make yourself a private queue.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    It can be quite difficult at times to find enough people in your level bracket to run content. If you only want tier 4+ high ranked players, make yourself a private queue.

Yeah, normally I would agree. Here is the deal thou - There are a ton of us endgame players, who are in either very small fleets or solo fleets. We shouldn't have to scrounge to fill private queues for fleet marks when the simple solution is to just run two versions of the event:

No Win Scenario (VA, Tier 4 or higher ships)
    No Win Scenario (Anybody in Any Ship)

That way, people who don't have enough fleet members to run private but still want to earn our marks don't get burdened with the dead weight miranda pilots or stuck in a queue that never pops.

No amount of auto-leveling will compensate for 2 fore/1 aft weapon and as you mentioned, one-skill BOs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Already another thread on this issue

As for the issue, it would be simpler gameplay wise to simply have number of variants of this mission to suit particular level ranges (10-19, 20-29 etc). It would also save an enormous amount of frustration for the high level players currently in the missions who would other wise have to carry all the dead weight.

I just can't believe that Sollvax is being listened to 0.o
    I need a beer.

• Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Maybe this?

so a LT gets most marks
    a Lt com next most
    a com next
    and so on

you not seen the rank ratio of folks on the server? there are more VA's than any other rank in the game, you rank way to fast to be a low level for more than a few hours.
  • Options
    corsair114corsair114 Member Posts: 276
    edited July 2012
    No.

Long answer:

It's nice to have something to do with my fleet buddies who play infrequently and at hours where the whole fleet isn't on. Just leave the little stuff (BoP's and Raptors) to the lowbie ships. Go for the chunkier targets.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    grtiggy wrote: »
    you not seen the rank ratio of folks on the server? there are more VA's than any other rank in the game, you rank way to fast to be a low level for more than a few hours.

its possible to be LT for weeks
    even years
    just don't "hammer down" the leveling
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    I understand some people like the challenge of bringing a Miranda to a fleet action, but it isn't really fair to the others in the event.

You don't have the weapon slots or the hull strength to contribute to the fight and spend more time dead than alive, killing the group ability to earn fleet marks. You also mess up the already crappy loot drops. Instead of mk X and mk XI, you'll see mk II gear.

Would like to see Cryptic institute a rule that for any public queue event that requires a level 50 player, the players have to bring at least Tier 4 ships.

If you want to F up the already F'd up fleet mark grind, do it in a private event.

I agree with everything the OP said.

I can't even begin to count the missions (STF's, or new fleet stuff) that were failed due to some goon bringing in a T1 ship. Most of the time, we just BARELY miss the time limit.
    15+ minutes ending in no loot for anyone (marks, tech, salvage, etc...)

At that point, that person just wasted 4 other people's time. Had he/she brought at least a T4 ship, we could've finished it in time.
    :mad:

/signed!

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~