test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Too many login attempts"?

suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
I was finally able to login to the website/forums after some strange incident last night. Even thought everything seems to be working atm, I'll post the issue anyway, in case this is something bigger.

Before anyone asks - yes, I have linked my Cryptic and PWE accounts and yes, everything was working fine - I know about the difference in login name and display name and so on. Logged in and out numerous times on both STO and PWE websites previously and the game itself works just fine.

Still, yesterday I found that I was logged out from the STO website for some reason, even though I had "stay signed in" checked previously. What is strange thought is that my very first login attempt resulted in "You have failed to log in too many times. Your IP will be banned for 10 minutes." message, even though all the data was correct. I waited more than 10min before each next login attempt, but it all ended in the same way for the next four hours.

I've submitted a ticket to PWE customer support explaining the issue, but I'm not sure what can be done about it now. None of the people I asked had any problems like mine, and atm everything seems to be in order (after several hours...).

What I would like to know is what was the cause of this? Nobody else uses this computer. As far as security goes I did not detect any malicious software of any kind, I didn't logout or did anything to cause repeated login attempts, and as I said I've waited more than those 10min before each login and I did use correct data. Was this some kind of error? Was my account compromised in some way from the outside?

Because, forgive me if I sound prejudiced, but after all the recent events I honestly don't trust PWE, and I still remember how long it took Cryptic to notice their security breach. I am cautious more than ever about my account security and I don't find such issues to be irrelevant in any way.

As such, I'll just leave this thread for future reference, or in case somebody else has the same issues at one point.
PyKDqad.jpg
Post edited by suaveks on

Comments

• Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I did that yesterday only to figure out I was using my displayed name here instead of my actual account name.

I know you mention knowing the difference but you don't mention which one you were actually using.

Usually the other cause has been an incorrectly choice source of the account location. picking PW instead of Crypic and the other way.

At least that's what the problem has been in the past for the many times this has come up before....
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    As I already said, I am aware of all the differences - the need to select the correct account type, as well as the fact that the account name is different than my display name. And I'll say this again - all my data was correct, and yet I still wasn't able to log in for several hours and received a ban message.

My question is, why was I logged out in the first place and why the very first attempt to log in gave me a ban message for "too many attempts"?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Happened to me yet again...

Everything was working fine - I was logged in the whole time, viewed some forums, even posted a few messages here and there over the course of several hours. Then, out of nowhere, when I went to STO website I was moved to PWE login screen with the "10min ban" message.

I did absolutely nothing that would cause such block. I wanted to remain signed-in, which worked for most of the day, and then just the fact I VISITED the STO main site gave me the ban message.

What is more, even though it stated it's a 10min IP ban I wasn't able to log in even after waiting more than an hour before another attempt, during which I wasn't even using the Internet. Only now, after almost ten hours, it worked. This only confirms what I've said earlier - all my login data is correct and it's not an error from my part.

Unless there's some major error with PWE website/login system, or someone is trying to compromise my account, I've got no idea what is happening. The only thing I can think of is that I was visiting the forums frequently around the time I got "banned", but that's all - just frequent visits while being always signed in. I'm using Firefox browser.

I have wrote a ticket to PWE customer support first time this happened, but didn't receive any reply and to be honest I somehow doubt they will acknowledge something other than "please check if all your data is correct" or sth like that. So as long as this'll keep happening I will keep posting here as well. Because Cryptic may be under the control of their new overlords, but I still consider myself a STO player/customer in the first place. And no such things happened before I was forced to link my accounts. Go figure.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    pmjdcpmjdc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am getting the same problem, I have been unable to log on for about 6 hours now.. No reply from support or anything. As you can see I can log on here just fine, but STO keeps saying the same thing over and over. This is really frustrating since this is less then 24 hours after I bought ZEN for the very first time. :mad: