test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

prototype borg techs

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
I play everyday about 15 stf elite missions, but in the last month I never have had a prototype tech.
It only me or prototype borg techs are quite impossible to drop?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I have more prototype techs than I can even use. I wish they were not bound so that I could sell them on the exchange or trade them with other players for things I want or need. :(
    edited April 2012
    Eurialo wrote:
    I play everyday about 15 stf elite missions, but in the last month I never have had a prototype tech.
    It only me or prototype borg techs are quite impossible to drop?
    Teleon wrote: »
    I have more prototype techs than I can even use. I wish they were not bound so that I could sell them on the exchange or trade them with other players for things I want or need. :(

These to post reflect the issue. Which cryptic seems to want to ingore.

I went two weeks with out seeing a single tech drop
    edited April 2012
    Come on now! In the last patch they increased the drop rate for Mk XII items.

Instead of a .001% chance, its now a .002% chance.

You'd probably get better odds of getting a Ferengi Marauder out of a green box than getting a Mk XII drop...
    edited April 2012
    thebumble wrote:

You'd probably get better odds of getting a Ferengi Marauder out of a green box than getting a Mk XII drop...

That would not be so bad if i at least got regular blue techs. But I go weeks without even getting any of those. I say the odds are 0.000000001% and they increase them to 0.0000000015%
    edited April 2012
    thebumble wrote:

On the other hand, it doesn't cost 100 CP per elite STF.
    edited April 2012
    I wish I could trade 10 proto salvages for 1 proto tech, even a random one would work for me, Or be able to send them to other toons. I know i can get dilithium with them, but with only 8k a day to refine i dont need too :(
    edited April 2012
    I wish I could trade 10 proto salvages for 1 proto tech, even a random one would work for me, Or be able to send them to other toons. I know i can get dilithium with them, but with only 8k a day to refine i dont need too :(

well the good news according the recent most stoked episode.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=267805

At some point the current Mark XII gear will be in store when we get new gear
    edited April 2012
    random do you have time accolades should get 12 chips then

]
    so many pugs farming system it as weakend system a bit
    edited April 2012
    Yes. I have two extra sheild techs, a deflector, and an engine on my characters that I don't need and would either like to trade between characters or trade to a player. I would like to use them for more than just extra dilithium.

Also, I noticed that the only use for Rare salvage is for standard requisitions, drop boxes, and extra dilithium. I would like to be able to trade them for MK 11 and 12 gear the way data chips are tradeable for MK 10 and 11 STF gear.
    edited April 2012
    I've been trying to get Rare Deflector Tech. I've gotten 120+ EDCs and still no tech drop. You'd think there'd be some better % they could do. I can (have had to) grind out EDC cause the tech just won't drop! :mad:
    edited April 2012
    I've been trying to get Rare Deflector Tech. I've gotten 120+ EDCs and still no tech drop. You'd think there'd be some better % they could do. I can (have had to) grind out EDC cause the tech just won't drop! :mad:

Yeah, this I can sympathize with. One of my toons is at run 112 for deflector tech, and of course the devs keep failing to address their brokedick game, blah blah working as intended (lie) blah blah. Yeah. I sympathize.
    edited April 2012
    at the very least the EDC, Tech and salavage should be bound on account. I have a full set on one character by know if it was.
    edited April 2012
    I agree with a few things here. IMHO, across any game, I think nothing should ever be bound to a single character... bound to an account is fine, especially if you are a paying member. Maybe that should be a gold perk, i don't know... but bound to a single toon is tragic.

I also know that I had never gotten a single proto tech drop until this week. I had probably run about 60 STFs. Then this week, I've run about 10 and I've gotten 2 proto tech drops and a mark 10 OMEGA engine drop thingy. So, either they raised the % decently or I'm on a great streak!

Now, this is all on normal STF. I haven't done the Elite since I really don't know what more / special I'd have to do. The 1 time I tried I had people screaming I was doing stuff wrong and instead of telling me what to do, they just complained. Ugh. But that's a different story ;)
    edited April 2012
    While no-one knows what rate the tech drop is, the evidence seems that it is on the order of 1% per player. If that be true then you need to run around 100 STFs on average for a prototype tech drop, but could easily run several hundred without one.
    edited April 2012
    Sakarak wrote:
    While no-one knows what rate the tech drop is, the evidence seems that it is on the order of 1% per player. If that be true then you need to run around 100 STFs on average for a prototype tech drop, but could easily run several hundred without one.

Gozer said that he would not explicitly say what the drop rate was, but it was better than it was for ship drops in lox boxes. IIRC that turned out to be about 1/2 of 1%. If the drop rate is actually ~1% that would be awesome.
    edited April 2012
    Starting Friday Night (04-20-2012) up to last night (04-24-2012) I have done 29 Infected ground elites and have seen (Not recieved) the proto type PSG tech once.

So basically every 29 IGE runs I might see the proto type PSG tech drop once and then I have a 1 in 5 chance of getting it then. My luck in getting it has not been that good. I would estimate I have gone on 100+ IGE runs this month alone and have seen it drop maybe 4-5 times.

The weird thing is and what I have been hearing from others its not the first item in the set or the second item in the set that is taking forever to get, but the last item. Something about just sounds a little fishy to me.
    edited April 2012
    I started running elites about 2 months ago, in that time I managed to pick up 1 shield tech. Since the patch, I have picked up 2 more shield techs and a deflector tech. So 1 in 2 months prior to patch and 3 in 1 week after patch.
    edited April 2012
    I just finished my ground mk XII MACO set today, by getting the last piece which was the elusive prototype PSG tech. I have run infected ground elite quite a lot that my dilithium ore I earned will take a few days to get back to 0. Though I have to admit I am seeing a lot more people with full sets nowadays so maybe the proc to get a proto tech piece is becoming/has become decent.
    edited April 2012
    I would be less bothered by low tech drop rates if the rare salvage could be traded for STF gear just like data chips are.

Also, Mk 10 and 11 STF gear can be purchased for data chips, but Mk 12 is only obtainable via elite tech drops? That is my big gripe. By the time a player has earned ALL of the STF accolades, they should be decked out in the best STF gear. If not, then there is something seriously wrong with the drop rates.

Dovetailed to that, only three things seem to drop from trash mobs in STF space missions. Data chips (very rare), Lockboxes (not nearly as common as before, but still too often), and ship consumable batteries.

STF ground mobs only see to drop collective grenades, and hypos (green borgy kind, and blue).
    edited May 2012
    I have a couple of armor rare borg tech that I don't need...wish I could sell them or trade them in for dilithium like we could do with the extra Xmas stuff I had? I still need the ground weapon and shield rare tech so I can complete a set. I wouldn't even mind being about to give it to another character of mine. I understand that they are rare, hence having them bound, but if I get tech I don't need I would like an option to trade them in for something useful like dilithium or lobi crystals.
    edited May 2012
    FlipORican wrote: »
    I have a couple of armor rare borg tech that I don't need...wish I could sell them or trade them in for dilithium like we could do with the extra Xmas stuff I had? I still need the ground weapon and shield rare tech so I can complete a set. I wouldn't even mind being about to give it to another character of mine. I understand that they are rare, hence having them bound, but if I get tech I don't need I would like an option to trade them in for something useful like dilithium or lobi crystals.

IIRC Cmdr. Roxy on DS9 is able to trade them for Dilithium. Those trades are listed under General Merchandise.
    edited May 2012
    I continue to use MXI gear from Roxy. I've only played approxiately 15 elite STF's and have yet to see a Prototype tech drop.
    edited May 2012
    reyan01 wrote:
    I continue to use MXI gear from Roxy. I've only played approxiately 15 elite STF's and have yet to see a Prototype tech drop.

I regular play more then 15 elites in week and rarely do I see a protype tech drop. I got one character with mark XII ground gear. I been work on this since they revemap stfs.
    edited May 2012
    I agree that they could be a bit more common and that it would be good if they could be exchanged for one-another when you have duplicates of a single type. I am against them being sellable, however. They are for the STF players who earn them and not general circulation. They would be too readily available and be cheapened if you could just grab one on the exchange.

Also, keep in mind that the Mk XII versions of this equipment is only nominally better than the Mk XI versions which you can purchase with EDCs. The idea is that this is a special, and frankly tiny, little bonus for people who plug away at the STFs on a regular basis. And they have stated that all these items will eventually become sale items from the STF vendors once newer ones take their place in upcoming releases.

That said, it would be helpful on several levels if these items were account bound instead of character bound. One of the big problems in STFs is that once newer players show up they are woefully ill-equipped for them; a problem further aggravated by the high speed leveling this game employes and that Cryptic has stated they wish to maintain.
    edited May 2012

They increased it a LOT more than that. Since that patch Proto Tech has been dropping like candy. I went from having 2 characters complete over 4 months of grinding to all of a sudden ALL of my characters are nearly complete in the past few weeks. I am on my last character now and today the new KDF cat race comes out. my ETA to have him geared is by the end of June, though I guarentee if I can get him leveled to 50 this week (easy enough to do) he'll have his gear long before then.

Remember - the tech is NOT required, nor is it necessary for anything "endgame". Proto Tech is merely a by-product reward for those who like to do STFs daily with their friends. People make it seem liek a must have item for progression . . . it is not. So pardon my boldness in saying to calm down and quit making it seem like the devs are cheating you somehow out a game experience by the drop rates of an optional costume unlock (which is all Mk XII is .. . it is a trophy . . . and the stats are pretty much the same).

The good news is . . . wait a month . . . Mk XII gear is about to go on sale for EDC anyway . . . but then again you all knew this. It's been all over the newslines for a few months now. And on both sides of the fence will be the following arguments:

One side: "AWESOME!!! We get a finite cost for elite gear!!!"

Other side: "WTF? Now everyone is going to be wearing the stuff I ground so hard for!!! WTF? OMG!"

~shrugs~ And then there's MY side: "Oh cool. My other characters can just buy the gear and since I STF anyway with my friends, I'll undoubtedly get new costumes along the way. No matter . . . I STF for social interaction anyway." I say this is my side because I have not yet found anyone else in STO that is willing to treat this game like an MMO and just enjoy it and be pleasently surprised for side-rewards that stumble in their lap along the way.

Do I feel sympathy for the frustration of the hardcore grinder? Well . . . yeah . . . I do, actually. However i USED to be a frustrated grinder a few months ago . . . then I caught myself. I looked at myself and how I was feeling about a silly game . . . a set of pixels on the screen. I caught myself almost forgetting the whole point of an MMO . . . social interaction while sharing a common environment of interest with other people in the same virtual world. When i looked into myself and saw the light, I took a step back. i quit STFs for a week and rekindled friendships that wee dying away in game.

I also socialized and found new friends that happened to like playign STFs together even though they already had gear. They take pleasure in helping others learn that are willing to learn as far as strategy goes . . . and they put up with my sick and twisted comments about pelicans mating in the wind (PLEASE do not ask . . . I;d probably get banned from the forums for explaining).

So . . . to make it clear . . . this is NOT a flame post. I am not saying "STFU Noob!" or any of that immature gander that comes from all directions in a gaming community. No . . . this is instead a "look at the bright side" post, with a positive outlook on the STF rewards and how to come about them without pressuring yourself for them. If you do not feel like grinding by chance, then grind for finite numbers. As Gozer stated multiple times both here on the forums, as well as on an episode of Stoked, you WILL see the gear come to availability to the general community as he releases NEW gear for the random drops.

Look at it like this . . . random drop gear is like a teaser preview to future stuff in the STF store.

And for the crowds that are going to reply to this and say "But I have to PUG all the time and always end up with people who do not work together and i never see ANY gear or optionals, etc. . . . " I open my friends list to you . . . add me . . . I may not be on all hours of the day, but if i am on and not already with a full team, I can assemble a competant team fairly quickly and see that you get through an STF without any pain at all. As long as you acknowledge teamwork, open mindedness with strategy and the willingness to listen to the team, then it will be very easy to do. You may not get tech on that run, but you'll most likely get an optional at the very least for some accolade building.

Do not let Proto Tech drops ruin the game for you. They are a by-product of gameplay . . . nothing more. Enjoy them when you get them . . . and if not, then be happy you meet people in the process and interact while doing these missions. That's what the STFs are supposed to be for anyway, or so I thought. They are not even part of the storyline.

Have a good morning, folks, as we wait for the servers to come back up this morning. And i look forward to seeing you on the battle fronts keeping our galaxy free of oppression.

DISCLAIMER: Any typos in this post are the fault of my cat. I blame her because she is sleeping peacefully while I have to do paperwork. But I love her anyway.
    edited May 2012
    FlipORican wrote: »

Roxy will take all Tech and give you dilithium for it. In fact . . . that is how I am paying for my new KDF kitty this morning when the servers go up. Extra tech and salvage funded the entire thing.
    edited May 2012
    yes i have noticed a significant drop off in the rate at which protoype technologies drop. I do at least 3 STFs a day and I have not gotten a prototype tech in weeks.

I also think its totally lame that MK11 Set items do not work with MK12 set items of the same set. That's wicked lame.
    edited May 2012
    On the other hand, it doesn't cost 100 CP per elite STF.

Don't give them ideas. lol
    edited May 2012
    Faelandaea wrote: »
    They increased it a LOT more than that. Since that patch Proto Tech has been dropping like candy. I went from having 2 characters complete over 4 months of grinding to all of a sudden ALL of my characters are nearly complete in the past few weeks. I am on my last character now and today the new KDF cat race comes out. my ETA to have him geared is by the end of June, though I guarentee if I can get him leveled to 50 this week (easy enough to do) he'll have his gear long before then.

Remember - the tech is NOT required, nor is it necessary for anything "endgame". Proto Tech is merely a by-product reward for those who like to do STFs daily with their friends. People make it seem liek a must have item for progression . . . it is not. So pardon my boldness in saying to calm down and quit making it seem like the devs are cheating you somehow out a game experience by the drop rates of an optional costume unlock (which is all Mk XII is .. . it is a trophy . . . and the stats are pretty much the same).

<snip>...

Well said, and LOL about the pelicans.

And for full disclosure, I do not have a complete set yet.
    edited May 2012
    I've gone several weeks without any prototype borg tech drops, but then in 1 day get 2 prototype drops and then rares afterwards. They do drop. But they do have a weird randomized way of doing it.