test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STOWiki

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Academy
Hello Captains,

If you are looking for up-to-date information about any aspect of Star Trek Online, make sure to check out STOWiki. You can get there by clicking here, or using the link in the "The Game" drop down menu on our front page.

STOWiki is completely community driven, so I implore you all to add and update data when you can. This is an invaluable resource for all players, and I hope it comes in as handy for you as it has for many in our community.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    It's a great site, but like Brandon said, it could use more up to date information. Bridge Officer skills, for one, could use some polish - especially with the space/ground skill changes taken in mind.
    edited February 2012
    I think this is quite an accomplishment for STOWiki... Congratulations to them and I am proud of Cryptic for recognizing them in this fashion.
    edited February 2012
    Zoberraz wrote: »
    It's a great site, but like Brandon said, it could use more up to date information. Bridge Officer skills, for one, could use some polish - especially with the space/ground skill changes taken in mind.

That's the beauty of a Wiki...be bold, and contribute!
    edited February 2012
    Zoberraz wrote: »

Maybe you'd like to add those changes yourself? Now STOwiki can be editted by anyone without registrtaion and so there's no excuse not to update it if you got the info. :)

(and if you're curious, I've done my share of contributions)
    edited February 2012
    Glad to see STOwiki getting a link on the site. Been a long time in coming.

It's a great resource and I try to co tribute where I can :)
    edited February 2012
    It is horrendoulsy out of date. As a new F2Per, I can tell you from first hand experience in the last 3 weeks, that it is very difficult for new players to know what is still valid and what has changed. The information that is there is shoddy in many cases too. There are frequently critical pieces of information missing from item stubs, such as the cooldown, etc.

When I am in a better position to contribute, you bet I will, in the meantime, if you have intimate knowledge of the game, I urge you to go and start correcting the out of date stuff. I will join you in due course. :)
    edited February 2012
    aashenfox wrote:
    It is horrendoulsy out of date. As a new F2Per, I can tell you from first hand experience in the last 3 weeks, that it is very difficult for new players to know what is still valid and what has changed. The information that is there is shoddy in many cases too. There are frequently critical pieces of information missing from item stubs, such as the cooldown, etc.

When I am in a better position to contribute, you bet I will, in the meantime, if you have intimate knowledge of the game, I urge you to go and start correcting the out of date stuff. I will join you in due course. :)

We are hard at trying to change/add/edit to fit all the f2p info. It is a little hard when no one wants to help :)
    But it will return to being the top go to place for information soon ;)
    edited February 2012
    aashenfox wrote:
    As a new F2Per, I can tell you from first hand experience in the last 3 weeks, that it is very difficult for new players to know what is still valid and what has changed.

With respect, I completely disagree with everything you just said. The website, while not complete with every tiny aspect of Star Trek Online does have over 4000 content pages, is a wealth of knowledge that has received millions of views per month and has had over 200 editors in the last three months.

I understand you're new and are unfamiliar with the game, the website, and so on, but perhaps visiting the main page of the site will help guide you with all of this new and/or updated information:

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you have suggestions or areas you'd like to see improve, send me an in-game mail message or on my talk page. Please don't be one of those people who bashes a site that is a value to the community if you aren't ready to offer constructive feedback.
    edited February 2012
    I thought we weren't allowed to post links to off site or community sites?
    edited February 2012
    Sprint01 wrote:
    I thought we weren't allowed to post links to off site or community sites?

As you may have gathered from the original post (as well as the rest of the forum), this is definitely allowed.

There are some restrictions, as outlined by the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies:
    When mentioning, referring and/or linking to other websites, you must ensure that the content of the mention, reference and/or link is appropriate for our community and in line with these Guidelines. If you mention, refer to and/or post a link and such mention, reference and/or posting is automatically censored, it is considered to be inappropriate and you should remove it from your post immediately.
    edited February 2012
    There was a freeforums community website that was advertised; the thread was closed because it was an off site website that could not be controlled by Cryptic of PWE. Hence my question.
    edited February 2012
    Hello Captains,

If you are looking for up-to-date information about any aspect of Star Trek Online, make sure to check out STOWiki. You can get there by clicking here, or using the link in the "The Game" drop down menu on our front page.

STOWiki is completely community driven, so I implore you all to add and update data when you can. This is an invaluable resource for all players, and I hope it comes in as handy for you as it has for many in our community.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

As STOWiki.org's current bureaucrat, I'd like to thank you and Cryptic for recognizing our small but committed community, and Brandon for making it happen. This would not have been possible without the tireless effort of our editors and admins (I'm proud of your work, guys and gals!).

I hope that F2P will bring many new editors to the Wiki and help us keeping it up-to-date and fun. As PhyrexianHero pointed out, editing requires no registration and we do our best to be newbie-friendly.

Best regards,
    Rachel
    edited February 2012
    Really cool that STO Wiki was recognized! I use it pretty often for items and such, but the one thing lacking is dialog/story line text from missions (think Paragon Wiki for City of...). At some point I may go in and add it, but it's kind of a daunting task.
    edited February 2012
    Sprint01 wrote:
    There was a freeforums community website that was advertised; the thread was closed because it was an off site website that could not be controlled by Cryptic of PWE. Hence my question.

Given that it's Cryptic doing the mentioning, at this point I think STOWiki links are fine.

And, honestly, I would imagine any off-site links are fine, as long as you're not linking to a TRIBBLE site, or something infected with a virus or other malware, or something actually illegal. Lord knows I've done my share of linking to stuff like webcomics, blogs, and YouTube, and I've never had them censored, either automatically or by a mod.
    edited February 2012
    As both a contributor and a user of STOwiki, I'm very happy to see the site get the recognition it deserves! Congrats to all those who support and contribute to this great site! :cool:

Oh & thanks to Brandon highlighting it. (especially for those new to the game) :D
    edited February 2012
    Sprint01 wrote:

Advertising something that is not approved by Cryptic/ PWE beforehand is not allowed. Linking to a website for information is a separate rule. Hope that helps clear up any misconception :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited February 2012
    Don't forget the STOWiki global channel is also available!
    edited February 2012
    STOWiki is a great resource that I have used many times.

Perhaps Cryptic themselves should contribute as part of the community ;)
    edited February 2012
    I just made my first contribution! This is the first time I ever contributed to a wiki, so I would appreciate if someone could check it over and let me know if I did anything wrong. :)

This page did not exist previously, I created it based on another skill page.

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starship_Electro-Plasma_System
    edited February 2012
    aashenfox wrote:
    I just made my first contribution! This is the first time I ever contributed to a wiki, so I would appreciate if someone could check it over and let me know if I did anything wrong. :)

This page did not exist previously, I created it based on another skill page.

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starship_Electro-Plasma_System

I don't have the game in front of me but as far as I can tell everything looks good!

Some rather important pages that have been updated in the last few hours involve the skills update from Season 5:
    edited February 2012
    STOWiki is indeed a good site. We should all do our part to keep it up to date. I know I use it all the time!
    edited March 2012
    Streakfury wrote: »
    STOWiki is indeed a good site. We should all do our part to keep it up to date. I know I use it all the time!

Amen. Even if you're not looking for something specific, most of the pages are a good read in themselves for pure reading entertainment.
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love STOWIKI
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I get all my info there.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Archived Post... It's against STO rules to to impersonate Cryptic or PWE employees...

Just ask a link that is super.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Archived Post... It's against STO rules to to impersonate Cryptic or PWE employees....

You are aware that those Archived Posts posts are from the old forums, right? It's just a catch all account.

For all we know it was an employee who made that post. Which every one you;re looking at,
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Archived Post has violated just about every infraction possible. Instant 20 point perma-ban maybe? I guess that's why he doesn't post anymore...
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    STOwiki is pretty great. It's not completely up-to-date yet, but we're still working on that.

Thanks for the recognition! :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've lost count of the number of times STOWiki has saved my behind with their walkthroughs and descriptions of inventory items.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Really need to do something about all the back-end calls to ads that happens when you load every page in the wiki. It is horrendous and they tend to freeze up and time out. I've never seen a legitimate web site call so many ad addresses.

It's so bad, that some tend to freeze up my browser (Chrome) during the loading process for a few seconds. As well, it does this on my iPod Touch too (Mercury browser), where the pages will stay in a constant state of loading.

I understand that the ads pay for the sites hosting, the sheer number of calls to a plethora of various ad web sites has gone beyond acceptable to me, to the point that I almost would like to know the revenue made on this "Community" site by the owners and am close to making a formal request, just for curiosity's sake. I hope you find a way to remedy this because the site is a wealth of information but seriously, something needs to be done to reduce the amount of hidden ad calls being performed without the general users' knowledge.

Thank you for your time.
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)