test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starship Weapons Calculator

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Academy
Introducing The Starship WeaponsCalculator

The Starship Weapons Calculator is based on my previous Weapon Scaling Tests. After many hours of testing, I have finally amassed enough data to create a simple tool for calculating the DPS of various weapon combinations.

With this program you can enter any combination of weapons, and the calculator will determine the firing arcs relevant to your build, and the relative DPS of each one. In addition, you can compare two builds to one another, see the impact of activating certain weapon skills, and even view a graph of your DPS results. Screenshot of the Starship Weapons Calculator in action.

About The Calculator
Initially I intended to create a simple spreadsheet to serve as the calculator, similar to PatricianVetinari's Ship Power Level Calculator, however it turned out that spreadsheet programs lacked the necessary complexity to achieve my vision. As a result I turned to Visual Basic 6.0 to create the calculator, since I had some limited Basic programming knowledge and an old copy of Visual Basic that had been given to me by a friend. Since I'm a self taught Basic programmer, some of the code probably isn't optimal, but it's good enough to get the job done for this simple program.

The current version of the calculator is 4.0. Please let me know if you find any bugs, or have any complaints about the user interface. Once I gather some feedback I will release a full version, although the current beta should be fully functional in every important way.

How Does The Calculator Work?
It would simply be impossible to test every possible combination of weapons, so the calculator is only made possible by the fact that I discovered you could get very accurate figures by averaging different weapon tests together. In a nutshell that is how the calculator derives different build results.

How Accurate Is The Calculator?
Considering all of the intricacies of the combat system I was initially skeptical that this approach would work, but the calculator is actually quite accurate. In most cases the difference between the calculated DPS output and the actual in-game DPS is less than 1%.

That slight difference can be explained by the fact that in any given test run there is some margin of error. It's even possible to tell from looking at my scaling charts that some of the results are not 100% exact (some of the curves aren't completely smooth). But, at some point you have to say "this is good enough". I'm sure that with a lot more testing I could reduce the margin of error further, but for almost everyone's purposes, the current accuracy should be more than sufficient.

Understanding Relative DPS
By default, the calculator measures DPS results in what I have dubbed "Relative DPS". Basically what this means is that the damage from all weapons is measured against that of a single Beam Array at 100 weapon power, which is set to 100 DPS. If a weapon/power combination does five times as much damage as said Beam Array, then the DPS figure will be 500. If a weapon/power combination does half as much damage, then its DPS will be 50, and so on.

The reason for using Relative DPS is so that the results are general enough to be used easily at every tier and every skill level, with a minimum of input from the user. The calculator is capable of figuring your actual damage output, but in order to get an accurate result you need to enter your exact skill and console bonuses. Using Relative DPS avoids this hassle, because the calculator can simply tell you how specific builds stack up against one another when all things are equal (including skill level, consoles and weapon marks).

For an easy comparison, I recommend sticking to Relative DPS. But, for those who want results that most accurately reflect in-game damage, you may fully customize the program's parameters in the Advanced Settings.

Using The Calculator
The calculator should be fairly intuitive to use, but if you have any questions, please read the included documentation, which you can access from the About window (accessible from the extended options), or by opening the ReadMe located in the program's folder, and also available online at this link.

Downloading The Calculator
Starship Weapons Calculator Download Page
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Current Release v 4.0 (10/14/11)

Change Log

Changes v 4.0 (10/14/11)
    • The program version has been updated to reflect the current season of STO the calculator is accurate for. As a result, the current version is now v 4.0, as the changes for S4 are now reflected in the program.
    • Torpedo Spread has been updated to reflect the recent changes to the power.
    • Beam: Fire At Will has been updated to reflect the recent changes to the power.
    • The weapon rarity damage bonus is now reflected when using the advanced settings.
    • Changes have been made to fix the bug that prevented the program from opening.
    • Final Frontier font now must be installed with the program for it to display properly.
    • Images are now loaded from the program folder, rather than stored in the executable, improving load times.
    • Due to these changes the "stand alone" version has been discontinued.
    • The T4 Raptor image is now accurate. Thanks again to Spider Mitch for allowing me to use his images!

Known Issues
    • Tricobalt Torpedo damage may not be being calculated accurately.

Previous Changes
    edited October 2011
    The Starship Weapons Calculator has now been updated to reflect the changes in Season 4, as well as to fix some bugs associated with the program (specifically the issues that prevented it from opening for some people).

Sorry for taking so long to update the program. I could have gotten the S4 changes out sooner, but I wanted to also address the technical problems before releasing a new version. Another small update will be coming soon which will slightly alter the accuracy calculations to reflect the actual code used in the game (in practice the difference shouldn't really be that big), as well as include a couple of ships that have been added since the last update in March.

I see that a lot of changes are being made on Tribble, but I'm going to hold off on updating the program until the changes are finalized. It's a lot easier that way, since I don't have to keep updating the program over and over again with each change.
    edited October 2011
    On a side note, if you like my program, please consider showing your appreciation by playing my Foundry mission, Dereliction Duty, which is linked in my signature. :D

/shameless plug
    edited October 2011
    :O

New version? cool. I will check it out tomorrow. I always loved your Program.

You know what might be a good idea to implement in your Program? A calculation based on your (energy?) weapons to see how much total DPS you do in a timeframe of ... 1 minute? Depending on your abilities/Cooldown etc. I've actually done this myself in Documents and stuff, but that's getting tiresome after a while ^^

Btw; a few days ago I released the latest version (At that time) and somehow the program hangs at the Graphics Screen (Splash screen). While this Windows 7 is a clean installation with all updates :/

And do we now, finally, know if Beams have more inherit accuracy then Cannons? and how about torpedo's? trico's? I never got a feeling Acc x3 on a trico was really any different for instance. Cheers!
    edited October 2011
    Awesome little program u got there, any word on when the quad cannons will be added?
    edited October 2011
    Posted in the other thread before I saw your redirect.
    Nagorak wrote: »
    A lot of powers aren't included because I don't know exactly how they work/how to integrate them into the program. In theory I understand how Nadion Inversion works, but determining how much it affects dps output in practice can be a bit more tricky.

In this specific case the problem is that Nadion inversion halves the energy use of weapons. It's not really practical for me to retest all the weapons using Nadion Inversion (too time consuming, and also the power doesn't last long enough to be easily tested). So I'm left with estimating the effect, which I could do by just halving the number of weapons being fired when making the calculations, but then what do I do when it's an odd number of weapons?

I suppose I could average the results of one more and one less weapon, but at that point I'm not sure how accurate the figures would actually be. In general I don't want to mislead people into thinking something is better/worse than it really is, so when in doubt, I just leave it out. That said, I'll think about including Nadion Inversion with some sort of warning that it's just an estimation.
    My Engineer can get Nadion Inversion to 82%+. I can fire 8 beams, all at 125 power...
    edited October 2011
    My Engineer can get Nadion Inversion to 82%+. I can fire 8 beams, all at 125 power...

Well, tell you what, I'll look into it and see if I can figure out how to integrate it into the program. I'd say the odds are maybe only 50/50 though. It's just too hard to predict exactly how certain powers affect the diminishing returns from power drain (everything is based off of my weapon test data, so I can't just make things up on the fly, I have to actually come up with a fairly close estimate of how things work). However, I've been surprised in the past at how well you can calculate things based off of the data I gathered in my weapons tests, so it's possible it may work.

What I'll do is figure out how the skill scales and then try to come up with an equation that estimates the power drain reduction in the calculator. Then I'll run a few tests and see if the actual results are anywhere near the predicted results. If they are, then I'll include the power in a future update. If the results don't match at all, then obviously I can't include it.

Even if it does work out, it might be a while before I have the chance to include it in the program. I have to finish the sequel to my Foundry mission first, which will probably take me at least a couple of weeks. After that I can try to do a few program updates.
    edited October 2011
    I was wondering if you could work in the dps (not burst but actual dps) for photon torpedo launchers. I've noticed using two of them with two dual heavy cannons seems two work better for dps then an all energy weapons set up. I know it would be difficult since you would need to have a hull/shields comparison for dps. After all photon torpedo launcher does have almost twice the base DPS of a dual heavy cannon, even if it does deal less damage to shields.
    edited October 2011
    I was wondering if you could work in the dps (not burst but actual dps) for photon torpedo launchers. I've noticed using two of them with two dual heavy cannons seems two work better for dps then an all energy weapons set up. I know it would be difficult since you would need to have a hull/shields comparison for dps. After all photon torpedo launcher does have almost twice the base DPS of a dual heavy cannon, even if it does deal less damage to shields.

I'll take your suggestion into consideration, and see if I can come up with some way to present the info you're asking about. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

That said, at this point I'm probably going to wait for the game to go F2P before making any major changes to the calculator. It seems like a lot of balance changes are taking place on Tribble, and I will probably event want to even run a few tests to verify the weapon scaling results remain the same after all the changes. There's just no point putting in a lot of work at this point, knowing that many things could be changing in the near future.
    edited December 2011
    Maybe an alternative link? The above one is dead for me.

Cheers!
    edited December 2011
    salsadoom wrote: »
    Maybe an alternative link? The above one is dead for me.

Cheers!

Yeah, my stupid cable company abruptly removed subscribers personal web space with little warning. I'll try to get a new site up within the next couple of days. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    edited December 2011
    Nagorak wrote: »
    Yeah, my stupid cable company abruptly removed subscribers personal web space with little warning. I'll try to get a new site up within the next couple of days. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Cox Customer?

Yeah, that happened to me too. Quite annoying. :p
    edited December 2011
    How is the update coming along?
    edited January 2012
    Could we have an update please?
    edited January 2012
    Sorry, I've been really busy in RL lately. The trouble is I need to find a new host for my site. My ISP really screwed me by taking down their webspace with short notice. It really ****es me off. I'm half way tempted to change to a new provider over this whole thing.

For anyone thinking of getting a new ISP or cable television connection, Cox sucks. The speed, etc, is ok, but their customer service has always been the worst of the worst. :mad: Maybe their competitors aren't any better, but I doubt you can do much worse.

Anyway, I will try to get a new site up by the end of the day.
    edited January 2012
    Ok, I got a new site set up now, and all the links should be working. Sorry for the long delay.

The weapons calculator has not been updated for the space skill changes or any changes in S5, so I'd recommend sticking with the basic version for now.

I plan to update the calculator for the new changes, however I doubt I will be able to do it before February at the earliest. I estimate it will take that long for me to finish the Foundry missions I am working on. Sorry, it's the best I can do. ;)
    edited January 2012
    How do you view torpedoes and mines as DPS? I seem to be stuck and only have them showing as burst damage.
    edited January 2012
    Pottsey wrote:
    How do you view torpedoes and mines as DPS? I seem to be stuck and only have them showing as burst damage.

The calculator only shows burst damage for them. It's difficult to determine their DPS because it varies so much depending on whether you hit shields or hull. In general, adding a torpedo will lower your second to second DPS compared to anther weapon, even if you're firing it constantly. However, it can make up for it because when the shields go down you can do a lot of damage in a short period of time, especially if you use one of the torpedo skills.

I can try to consider some way of showing torpedo DPS in future versions of the program, but for now you're stuck with burst damage only. Sorry.
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for this tool :) do you have any plans to include the quad cannons in any possible future updates?
    thanks again
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for this tool :) do you have any plans to include the quad cannons in any possible future updates?
    thanks again

Yes, quad cannons would be a nice addition!
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I haven't tested the Quads yet, but I'll add them in the next update, coming probably around mid February or March at the very latest.
    edited February 2012
    will we see season 5 changes soon?
    edited February 2012
    Cruis.In wrote: »
    will we see season 5 changes soon?

Honestly, not for a couple of weeks. I made the mistake of having a "to be continued" Foundry mission, so I have to finish that up ASAP.

I hope to have that finished up by mid February, but I don't know if I can make it. I had to take a couple of days off due to being a bit burned out, and I'm also dealing with some RL business stuff that is taking up some more time.

Once I get Atlas Affair part 2 done, then I will pivot to working on the Starship Weapons Calculator, before going back and revamping Perilous Prize (another Foundry mission, which I sort of had to rush out for the Podcast UGC Jem'Hadar contest).
    edited March 2012
    How goes the update? I hope you have finished "Atlas Affair" foundry mission.
    edited March 2012
    I'm sorry because I hate to make excuses for myself, but the truth is lately I've been dealing with some health issues. That's gotten in the way of all my STO projects, but I feel if I don't set aside the time to address the problems I'm having, then I might not be around in the long run to work on any of these things.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound overly melodramatic, but there is a reason why I haven't gotten around to updating the calculator program. ;)
    edited March 2012
    Oh that would explain the absence. I remember seeing a post from you that it should be updated by this month and I didn't see changes so I thought I'd post here to see what's the situation. Anyways, I hope you get well soon!
    edited April 2012
    hope you feel better soon
    edited April 2012
    Is there any way you can change the programming in order to allow selection of different types of beams and torpedos?

My ship has a mixture of Phaser and Antiproton beams, and Photon and Quantum torpedos.
    I can only chose one type of beams and torps so I cannot get an accurate DPS reading.

Thanks

Theta Sigma
    edited April 2012
    As one programmer to another - thank you for taking the time to develop your calculator and for sharing it with the rest of us! I am looking forward to using it AND to trying out your foundry mission! :cool:
    edited May 2012
    I have a few questions that I cant exactly figure out and I want to be as accurate as possible on testing.

1) Under the settings window under the combat settings, there are three windows titled Attack Vectors, Combat maneuvers, and Battle Strategy. I currently have 8 listed under here as the help you enter your maneuvers skill for your captain. But when I get down to the Power Settings, since my charater is a tactical officer I dont see any windows under skills for Warp Core Training, Weapons Efficiency, or Weapon performance. Do I just simply put 0 under these fields?

2) Under equipment Bonuses I have consoles that dont give a number but a percentage. Am I supposed to figure up the percentages to add to this or omit those and use just those with clear set numbers?

3) My final question is on the Projectile Weapon Skills section, It basically lists Tricobalt Projectiles but I am using a Tricobalt mine, do I use the projectile in this case or just leave it blank?

These might have been answered before but I am still messing with this program and hate to spend half a day scanning through the rest of the topic for answers that might not have even been given. Thanks in advance.

-Update-
    Well apparently when I removed the CrtD and CrtH out from under Weapons Mods, my Combat settings to the right became closer to what it says in game. The only thing thats still high is the Critical Chance which is saying 4.44% and the game says its only 2.5%. Maybe its cause I have a 10% bonus that is causing the rise from 2.5% to 4.44% on Critical CHance. The thing that doesnt make sense is the weapons DPS does not match up and I just cant find out why. The Tricobalt Mine Launcher tells me it should do 17,573 damage but its only doing 16,785 damage and its a CrtH, CrtD, Borg mine launcher. My forward dual plasma beam bank is claiming 339 DPS but its only showing up as 224 DPS.

I know I must have something not entered right and I have re-read the help multiple times even hovered over the fields and cant find where I have anything listed wrong. I just have 0 listed under equipment bonuses and I have weapon as well as shield and engine bonuses and the DPS in the calculator is reading higher than my real load out is saying it is.

-Update2-
    Moving from DS9 to the space just outside of DS9 (not sector space) the numbers changed some so my plasma dual beam arrays are coming up as 280 DPS but its still short of the 347 DPS the calculator is stating. Still playing with it till I figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.