Suggestion - Lock forum areas after necro

Kittysama - Raging Tide
Kittysama - Raging Tide Posts: 34 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Suggestion Box
As threads are usually locked after necros, Kitty came up with an idea.

As some forum areas are long times without a single new message, there's a possibility for replying to newest thread to cause SweetieBot's NECROO-jumpscare.

So how about locking the dead areas if there's no new message within 30 days?

Reasons:

-If there's no new messages in 30 days, the forum area is most likely unnecessary and should be merged to some more active area(for ex. class forums could be merged into race forums). Though it might make the areas a bit messier, at least AoE-necros would be avoided and subforums look more active.

-Mods would have easier time keeping an eye on necromancers with less areas to visit when gates of their usual ritual grounds are closed.

-SweetieBot would have less strain on it's processor as it wouldn't need to shout so often(shouting ish quite stressing, Kitty's read.)

-It's easier to find a suitable area to post questions with a higher chance to get an answer if dead areas are announced off-grounds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kitty's finally posting again as Kittysama after long break caused by avatar-bug(now fixed).
Leader and all other members of Kitty-faction(a.k.a. Kittyarmy, greater than your blacklist)!

Kitty ish most unfortunate Kitty in Perfect World.
Post edited by Kittysama - Raging Tide on

Comments

• DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Horrible idea. For reasons more obvious than the sun rising in the morning.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    We could do without some of the areas, like trading posts could just be done in the server subsections. But a lot of the areas are simply dead because their particular niche is only something we need to do during certain time periods. Like beginner guides, there's a ton of those already. And if/when the expansions come that require more guides, those areas will be briefly active again and die down. Having them their though makes it easier to find them.

As for necros being easier to lock. It makes no difference to me. I view posts by date irregardless of subsection. Having it in specific subsections does make it infinitely easier though to find a thread at a later time if I need to refer someone to it for information, or to look through it to see what GM said what.And in some cases, to give people the approrpiate type of help. Like if someone is asking questions in the beginner section (which is rarer these days) I know there are certain levels of knowledge they probably don't' have so I try to be more specific.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Kittysama - Raging Tide
    Kittysama - Raging Tide Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Kitty committed a little test upon making this thread.

At the time of making this thread, there was at least 2 forum areas with latest post so long ago that even replying to newest thread would have caused a necro. Thus Kitty necro'd one thread and Kitty found out that even SweetieBot had abandoned that forum area. In 2 months nobody had answered to questions in that thread and there seems to be no moderation on dead areas. Though dead areas commit no breaks towards rules, but that's why they should be merged with something moar active.

The thread Kitty necro'd: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1752651

Successful troll threat ish successful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kitty's finally posting again as Kittysama after long break caused by avatar-bug(now fixed).
    Leader and all other members of Kitty-faction(a.k.a. Kittyarmy, greater than your blacklist)!

Kitty ish most unfortunate Kitty in Perfect World.
  • __Sami__ - Archosaur
    __Sami__ - Archosaur Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I vote you ban that damn font color, **** eyes.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/104/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#135691 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015

At the time of making this thread, there was at least 2 forum areas with latest post so long ago that even replying to newest thread would have caused a necro. Thus Kitty necro'd one thread and Kitty found out that even SweetieBot had abandoned that forum area. In 2 months nobody had answered to questions in that thread and there seems to be no moderation on dead areas. Though dead areas commit no breaks towards rules, but that's why they should be merged with something moar active.

The thread Kitty necro'd: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1752651

Odd. Thought I had closed that one when I saw it. Must have been in a rush and forgotten but that area is certainly not unmoderated. b:chuckle

Also I'd smack you for the link and trolling, but I already hover my mouse over them so it didn't catch me at all.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As threads are usually locked after necros, Kitty came up with an idea.

As some forum areas are long times without a single new message, there's a possibility for replying to newest thread to cause SweetieBot's NECROO-jumpscare.

So how about locking the dead areas if there's no new message within 30 days?

Reasons:

-If there's no new messages in 30 days, the forum area is most likely unnecessary and should be merged to some more active area(for ex. class forums could be merged into race forums). Though it might make the areas a bit messier, at least AoE-necros would be avoided and subforums look more active.

-Mods would have easier time keeping an eye on necromancers with less areas to visit when gates of their usual ritual grounds are closed.

-SweetieBot would have less strain on it's processor as it wouldn't need to shout so often(shouting ish quite stressing, Kitty's read.)

-It's easier to find a suitable area to post questions with a higher chance to get an answer if dead areas are announced off-grounds.

I think that Sweetiebot's necro function has some of the subsections of the forum excluded, simply due to the fact that some of them have different rules regarding necros.

While a lot of the necros that do happen should, in fact, be moderated, it needs to be kept in mind that not everyone can immediately post a new thread. Some of the low post-count users who necro threads are simply trying to get a question answered the only way they can - posting in a thread related to their question... a much better solution than just having them post in at the end of a different thread.

So while I can understand your consternation at how the forums are being run, just keep in mind that forum policies are there for a reason. Also, keep in mind that the moderators are just volunteer community members, and any help that other users can give them is awesome. If you see something they missed, PM them about it, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to take care of it. b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory