New player in PWI

elvithar
elvithar Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
I know it's probably a rare occurrence to have new players in an older game like PWI. But they do exist. I'm one of them and I figured I would post about my initial view of the game.

Upon starting I can immediately tell that the game has been sped up and made easy, most older mmos do this because there isn't many players at those level ranges. Basically, I spent the first 40 levels 2 or 3 shoting everything, while being outfitted with the best gear possible every 5-8levels via quests and other in-game reward functions. I can tell it's going to backfire on me once all those easy-mode gearing up, abundance of potions and charms disappear. But I expect it.

The gameplay is simplistic, which isn't a bad thing, but everything else is overly complicated. Despite my best effort to google and read up on most of it. I feel lost as to what half of the items I have are used for. I don't know if they are worth keeping or if I should hold on to them for the future or try to sell them. I have a fairy but I don't know what it does and it's leveling so much slower than I am. I suspect it's because it doesn't gain exp from quests. Then there is those war cards, seems to be just added bonus stats, but not sure if I'm using them correctly. There is a lot of quests, but also a lot of em are linked to events or cash shop features or other rare item from instances and whatnot to complete, it's a bit confusing. So I've been mostly picking up and doing the 'main' quests so far. Hopefully I'm not doing it wrong.

Auction house is odd, I've seen my fair share of them in the many mmos I tried, and this one wins it for the most difficult to use. If i want to search for a flyer or check what gear is available, i have to use the filters and look for each item name individually, even though 90% of em i have no idea what they are and the filters find nothing most of the time. Although, having seen the hundreds of little vendor kiosks that players put down, I suspect the auction house isn't widely used, I can guess why. Which brings me to that, those vendor kiosk.. Unless I'm missing an important feature and there is a way to browse all of em via some UI option(Like age of wushu for example), as it is, it's super annoying, if I'm looking for a specific fashion piece or just want to know the value of my items, browsing each of em individually to compare prices or even find what I'm looking for is far from an efficient way to spend my play time.

The community and social aspect are difficult to get into from a new player perspective. The world chat has limited use. I know we need those telethingies to use it, but unlike the free gear, charms and potions, those aren't readily available for new players, so looking for help/guild is a daunting task. That and I'm not sure what sort of community im dealing with, is it a roleplaying one, casual funtime or the more hardcore sort that I need to be careful not to sound too much like a newb? From the little I've seen, vast majority of the players are female avatars and a lot of them are married to someone, at least in their name title. So it feels like a roleplaying is part of it, I'm not generally the roleplaying sort much.

In closure, I hope this doesn't come off as a rant, it's not meant to be, just my view from my first week playing PWI. I don't pretend to speak for all the new players, but I'm sure a lot of em probably felt as lost as I do as I'm sure some are better at catching on than I am. I intend to play more and check out different classes before I make my final decision to try the endgame. If anyone actually read this and has any Tips or link to useful guides to help new player, feel free to post em. Any help is welcomed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    elvithar wrote: »
    I know it's probably a rare occurrence to have new players in an older game like PWI. But they do exist. I'm one of them and I figured I would post about my initial view of the game...

New is just long forgotten old. Even if now 2015, but your joining date 2009 is nothing in comparison with age of world.

In closure, I hope this doesn't come off as a rant, it's not meant to be, just my view from my first week playing PWI. I don't pretend to speak for all the new players, but I'm sure a lot of em probably felt as lost as I do as I'm sure some are better at catching on than I am. I intend to play more and check out different classes before I make my final decision to try the endgame. If anyone actually read this and has any Tips or link to useful guides to help new player, feel free to post em. Any help is welcomed.

Here are many links:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guides

Including

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/ - This is a Perfect World database of items, mobs, quests, and more.
  • demansfairy
    demansfairy Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I know it's probably a rare occurrence to have new players in an older game like PWI. But they do exist. I'm one of them and I figured I would post about my initial view of the game.

Upon starting I can immediately tell that the game has been sped up and made easy, most older mmos do this because there isn't many players at those level ranges. Basically, I spent the first 40 levels 2 or 3 shoting everything, while being outfitted with the best gear possible every 5-8levels via quests and other in-game reward functions. I can tell it's going to backfire on me once all those easy-mode gearing up, abundance of potions and charms disappear. But I expect it.

The gameplay is simplistic, which isn't a bad thing, but everything else is overly complicated. Despite my best effort to google and read up on most of it. I feel lost as to what half of the items I have are used for. I don't know if they are worth keeping or if I should hold on to them for the future or try to sell them. I have a fairy but I don't know what it does and it's leveling so much slower than I am. I suspect it's because it doesn't gain exp from quests. Then there is those war cards, seems to be just added bonus stats, but not sure if I'm using them correctly. There is a lot of quests, but also a lot of em are linked to events or cash shop features or other rare item from instances and whatnot to complete, it's a bit confusing. So I've been mostly picking up and doing the 'main' quests so far. Hopefully I'm not doing it wrong.

Auction house is odd, I've seen my fair share of them in the many mmos I tried, and this one wins it for the most difficult to use. If i want to search for a flyer or check what gear is available, i have to use the filters and look for each item name individually, even though 90% of em i have no idea what they are and the filters find nothing most of the time. Although, having seen the hundreds of little vendor kiosks that players put down, I suspect the auction house isn't widely used, I can guess why. Which brings me to that, those vendor kiosk.. Unless I'm missing an important feature and there is a way to browse all of em via some UI option(Like age of wushu for example), as it is, it's super annoying, if I'm looking for a specific fashion piece or just want to know the value of my items, browsing each of em individually to compare prices or even find what I'm looking for is far from an efficient way to spend my play time.

The community and social aspect are difficult to get into from a new player perspective. The world chat has limited use. I know we need those telethingies to use it, but unlike the free gear, charms and potions, those aren't readily available for new players, so looking for help/guild is a daunting task. That and I'm not sure what sort of community im dealing with, is it a roleplaying one, casual funtime or the more hardcore sort that I need to be careful not to sound too much like a newb? From the little I've seen, vast majority of the players are female avatars and a lot of them are married to someone, at least in their name title. So it feels like a roleplaying is part of it, I'm not generally the roleplaying sort much.

Hi there. So the AH is used more when you know what item you looking for (you can type part of the name in the search box instead of going through filters). You have to search through the cat shops to find items you looking for, there a commission shop that brings a list of SOME of the shops currently up, and you can search for a specific item there (functions---> commission shop in the bottom right corner of your screen) but the shops shown are only the people who paid ed to own a commission shop via a boutique item. As for the community, I don't think many people role play, I tend to see more learning hard core or just random conversations....and sometimes sh** talking.

As for guides and such, there whole subsections dedicated to each class you can be in game as well as instance information, quest guides etc. If you have any specific quests I could try answering them.
    full +12 SB, currently lv 105 105 105
  • Elsariel - Sanctuary
    Elsariel - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm going to answer that particular question that stood out to me the most; role playing. Nobody really role plays on this game, except for a few people I know, myself included. I can count them on the fingers of one hand.
    Most do not develop their characters beyond being just a customized toon really, writing stories for them and acting them out, all that good stuff, is not everybody's forte. Sometimes, but not always, the more unique or creative names you see do belong to artists/writers who have a lot behind their toon than meets the eye. b:cute

I'd say it all leans more towards casual fun time and often hardcore. Also, yes, do not forget the booboo-talks and drama. There's plenty.

Other than that, you can find plenty of useful guides in the Class Subforums, and in Quest Tips/Dungeons & Tactics and so on. People put a lot of effort into those and it is truly worth studying them, they share valuable bits and they can also prepare you for the dungeons you will face later on. Though learning by experience is best here, walking in with some theory knowledge is advantage you should have.

You don't necessarily have to use a Teleacoustic to get into squads and/or factions. While you're doing your quests and progress, keep an eye out for squad calls and faction recruits. Read the messages, read their requirements (if any) and whisper the person/s for more information. A good faction will make a difference, so choose wisely.

Everything should be alright, so long as you take it slowly and just enjoy the ride. It's a difficult game to get into, but those of us who did stick with it so much didn't just do it for nothing. There's much fun to be had still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Now we're all mad here."
  • elvithar
    elvithar Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i did create account a long time ago. but never really used it until games like NWN and Startrek. I did check out Jade dynasty a bit too, but the whole auto-battle aspect wasnt for me.

Ty for the links, that wiki is very well-made.

I know how old the game is, but lately i enjoy going back in time and checking out older games, they have had more time to improve and flourish. Newer games tend to just be good looking and lack the depth needed to hold me.

Might go for mystic, since i'll probably spend alot of time solo, it seems to be a good class for that.
  • FoxyCleo - Raging Tide
    FoxyCleo - Raging Tide Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I know what you mean. I'm an old player returning after 5 years and I don't know how I got to 85 on this char and what to do with it.
    I'll get into it at some point again. In the meantime, I too will level a Mystic. It's a fun class ;)
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, I'll throw in another rarity for this community and offer you a friendly welcome b:pleased
    You're spot on. Up until level 60 this game is a breeze. Free daily charms and quests with high xp rewards. If you don't have a bunch of friends who'll carry you up higher, things become more complicated around level 70ish. But by that time, solo play should have taught you how to handle your class, so it's not all bad.
    There's a few guides on the forum. I agree that the interface is confusing at first - crapload of thing going on, very cluttered. But you'll get the hang of it in a week or two. I'm not sure which quests you mean are linked to the cash shop, aside from the few "errant" quests for inventory expansions.
    As for the fairy - you can teach it some skills at the Watcher of the Earth. Most players will feed it "Spirit" to level it up and keep it at the player level - past level 80 you'll be gaining spirit fast and barely need any more for your skills, so it becomes a plentiful resource. Genies in PvE (which I assume you'll be doing at first) are mostly used for movement speed increases, luring specific enemies while ignoring the rest (requires the red "Zeal" genie) and heals.
    Yea. Searching in the auction house is a pain in the neck - the search function is nonexistant. They really ought to improve that. It also doesn't help that this game has 3 (!) seperate ways for players to sell items to other players: The Auction House, the Player Vendor Stores (usually called catshops), and the Consignment Store.
    You'll get a few teles for free as you level up. I suggest you use one to find a low-ish guild, Ie throw a "LVL 53 Duskblade looking for faction, new player, want to learn the game" or something similar onto the worldchat. That should get you to a faction with people who can show you how to play and what's what.
    I suggest starting with a supporting class. The Blademaster and Cleric classes aren't very gear dependent - you'll be able to find parties even if a little undergeared, even in the endgame instances. The Blademaster is a heavy armor class and can survive up close easily. It doesn't deal a lot of damage directly, but it has very strong debuffs and is sought after in party for those. The cleric is the primary healer of this game - bit fragile, but while healing you aren't expected to deal damage - just keep the party alive.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • __Sami__ - Archosaur
    __Sami__ - Archosaur Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    About auction house, I believe its simply broken. The filters were fine in past, I cant see any reason why they would of intentionally changed to the **** we have to deal with now. I used to enjoy going trough certain filters of AH(Lower TT mats for example) when I was bored but going trough them item per item is just ugh.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/104/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#135691 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Welcome to pwi, hope you stay around, the game is food fun.

Just a quick reply to two things,

1 - Tele - thingimajik needed to talk in world chat (the yellow coloured text). One easy way, next to boutique icon on the top left is the event calendar. Click on it. Click on sign in. Do this every day. Every day you sign in, at the bottom it will show the rewards you can get. Often times in the first week there is atleast one tele, sometimes there are 10. You can use those. Other rewards are useful.

2 - Join a faction that is active, don't be scared to hop from faction to faction. Once you find a good faction, see if there are people inside that faction that are "farmers" and "merchants". These two types of people can help you navigate the game by giving you info and making sense of things from the pwdatabase.
  • QueNa - Sanctuary
    QueNa - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Never thought I'll ever see an actual new player in PWI lol. I hope we don't scare them away.
    Lurking forums for years sometimes posting.