I'm not usually one for a rant. And if you don't like rants, stop reading here...
I'm not at all happy with the latest update. To be honest, it's downright demoralizing me. I've worked my butt off over the past 4 months to farm R9 together. One MOG sale from completing it. I figured, after that, I'll see about refining my gear a bit, kitting out my alts so they can level themselves on autoculti a bit at break-even or tiny profit, and then work on getting the NW ornies or a bigger cube neck - to try and catch up to the endgame folk. You know, get to the level you need to be to be able to participate in PvP events and not feel like a damned paper doll.
What do I see now?
- Sockets for ornies. That give spirit, deflvls, or att lvls. Great, thanks. That will help level the playing field PWI. That kind of raising the bar to catch up is a REAL draw for newer players. Gives them something to look forward to - namely an infinity of farming or receivership if you're a creditcard warrior instead.
Not to say the people who do have money are not spending it. The amount of red announcements in the worldchannel on Morai is high. Very high.
- Potions with 0 value. This was one of the few things that you could still break even with on autoculti as a less powerful toon. Those who can oneshot stuff don't get hit, so their repair costs are nil. But players with characters who do get hit a lot, such as barbarians, BMs, seekers? They'll no longer break even on repairs. They'll have to farm to even be able to maintain their toon. That's work. Not play. Noone likes that.
Also, the only bots that can run a good profit now, are the auto-mining ones. Cheat-bots needed for automagic moneymaking again. And it shows.
- No more Ultimate Substance rewards from the BH bosses through the Nirvana Talismans. I suppose noone added them to the BH TT quest-taking rewards either. This will hurt players who try to work their way forward in the game by running Twilight Temple a lot. I'm lucky that I saw this coming and have a huge reserve by now, but it's another thing that will hurt newer players who still need to work on basic G15/G16 gear.
All in all, with the latest update, I see PWI setting a trend that requires the absolute top to spend a crapload to remain there, and totally ignores the starting players. It is a strategy that will lead to a small elite group, a declining playerbase, no new or returning players... it is not sustainable. Once a playerbase becomes too small in an MMORPG, the world will feel empty.
I don't want PWI to head there. Give folk a chance to catch up - heck, even your whales want that, it's the only way that they'll have some competition!
Some suggestions to solve this:
- Eliminate or severely reduce repair costs. They hurt starting or struggling players the most, by far.
- Eliminate the Jolly Jones cash grant on taking the 7 bounty tickets, and double the reward from doing the bounties.
- Eliminate the need for Ultimate Substances to open ANY level of Twilight Temple, including the extra bosses.
- Provide an easy way to obtain the Accessory Socket Stones and the basic Magic/Phys def stones that you can socket in there. Maybe via the Resource War rewards, or through the Undercurrent Hall. So that players can work on getting these instead of having to resort to the boutique - which feels a little like extortion.
- Reduce the NPC value for mineable goods (herbs, coal, wood etc) to 1. Also reduce the NPC value of the half-fabricates (Budda Wood, Gold Bar, Cloud Muslin etc) to 1 coin to prevent mining bots from being able to profit directly from these. It won't solve the issue of them auto-mining herbs, then selling useful potions to other players instead however.
Post edited by Evryn - Morai on
I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.
Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.