So i find this a little offensive...

light2113
light2113 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
So there's this item in the new event called the little coon wand or along those lines?

I mean it's just not exactly a wise choice in name especially when you have a whole server of people saying the word for this wand?

Also like to think what new people would think when playing. Yeah the staff also turns you into something. Peoples first thoughts are not going to be very nice.

Also this is my first time posting, so just hope this is okay. Please share a print screen of the wand if you get it to evidence this. I'm trying to get it.
Post edited by light2113 on

Comments

• LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Dictionary:

"coon"

noun

NORTH AMERICAN
    short for raccoon.

lil coon wand turns you into a fat little raccoon.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    >Alternative name for Raccoon
    >Alternative name for Maine Coon (the cat race)
    >Coon cheese

But people have to pick the muh racism card because it can also be a racial slur, while obviously it's the raccoon one. It doesn't transform you in a black person, it transforms you in a racoon.

It's this quest (not the item though) what you are looking for, or a variation of it
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    >Alternative name for Raccoon
    >Alternative name for Maine Coon (the cat race)
    >Coon cheese

But people have to pick the muh racism card because it can also be a racial slur, while obviously it's the raccoon one. It doesn't transform you in a black person, it transforms you in a racoon.

It's this quest (not the item though) what you are looking for, or a variation of it

LOL I think this about sums it up. Unfortunately people LOVE to play the race card and just for that reason I would STRONGLY suggest that a GM get it changed by a dev into Racoon before someone tries to sue the company.....because people are super sue happy over the dumbest stuff.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • Plethora - Morai
    Plethora - Morai Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I didn't even realize that's what it meant until you said it.b:chuckle
    I don't think new people will think this wand will turn them into - yeah, that. They should all know the company would go down pretty fast if they started adding racist stuff into the game on purpose.
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Let's be honest if it was an offensive term for white people, the amount of rage would be insane. It's a racial slur, there's no two ways about it. Change the name and censor the word. End of story.
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
    edited June 2015
    Let's be honest if it was an offensive term for white people, the amount of rage would be insane. It's a racial slur, there's no two ways about it. Change the name and censor the word. End of story.

Lol, horrible solution and this is what is wrong with today's society. Might as well start censoring everything in the list that sylen just linked.
    Including the word crow. Damn crows.

Let's be honest, if it was an offensive term for white people, this thread wouldn't exists, I know i'm stereotyping but racism towards white people doesn't exist, remember?

Maybe people should get more educated on meaning of words instead of assuming MUH RACIAL CARDS OMG.
    But hey, it's easier to act a victim than being rational.
    Soon™
  • comeonnow
    comeonnow Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    make it lil cracker *<-- click it* \o./ im white and i would lmao xD who wouldnt wanna turn into a cracker in game b:shockedb:shutupb:surrender okie ill be good now all joking aside its ment to be raccoon like everyone else has said why race sex gender has to be brought into every thing now adays is getting beyond ridiculous
    post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU_zpsl8ev4xko.gif
  • light2113
    edited June 2015
    Thank you all for looking, just yesterday I was like maybe someone just shortened it so i'll let them off but nope there all saying the word and the staff. Raccoon would be the wise choice, I mean how come this was overlooked anyway? I thought there would be some way of knowing what the word ment before hand?
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2015
    light2113 wrote: »
    Thank you all for looking, just yesterday I was like maybe someone just shortened it so i'll let them off but nope there all saying the word and the staff. Raccoon would be the wise choice, I mean how come this was overlooked anyway? I thought there would be some way of knowing what the word ment before hand?

One thing that you have to keep in mind.....

The game is written and developed by the Chinese dev's. It's translated into English for our version by them. There's a pretty good chance they had no idea what it could be derived as.

Keeping that in mind also, I can't recall the last time I heard someone use that since the mid-80's and I grew up in Texas. It's only racial slang if it's used in that context. I could go one about that, but this really isn't the place. You give the words the power. Simply don't read it as being in that context.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eraldus
    eraldus Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Why, if the game doesn't mean it in a racist manner??? Why make such a big deal about it, just because one, ONE single person pointed it out, when it doesn't mean in ANYKIND OF FORM in game as a racial slur????

SJWs, now creeping their way into gaming too!
  • Bellicious - Dreamweaver
    Bellicious - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Go back to tumblr, OP.
  • nbreaking
    nbreaking Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    NOBODY thought it was racist until you thought it was racist, guess what? You're the problem...

You had to go and find like the 4th or 5th most common use of the word to claim racism... how pitiful and stupid is that?
    It's because of you that racism doesn't die, I didn't even know the word until you had to go and talk about it just because you want to play the racism card because oh poor you, PWI is being racist by using the most common term of the word coon to define racoon...

Can a mod just close this stupid thread? Hate seeing these people playing the stupid racial card, this is not America where everyone is afraid to even **** because it might be offensive to someone, this is the internet...

Last thing I wanna add... OP... You disgust me.

Mr. Justice
  • Hisiala - Morai
    Hisiala - Morai Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't understand.

I really don't understand why certain people get so offended by a word that, in the end, means nothing but the shortening of an animal's name. Or why certain people just go after obscure meanings just to be offended.

I know in certain places racism is a delicate issue, but, omg, people calm down! If you did, I bet at least half of everyone's problems would just disappear.

This problem of the 'lil coon' should have been resolved as soon as you saw it was an animal, not something racist.
    edited June 2015
    >
    But people have to pick the muh racism card because it can also be a racial slur...
    Maybe people should get more educated on meaning of words instead of assuming MUH RACIAL CARDS OMG.
    But hey, it's easier to act a victim than being rational.

Contradicting yourself.

For the record 'playing the racism card' is when one party irrationally accuses the other of being racist attempting to invalidate their logic and ignore their argument and gain the moral high ground. Here it's clearly a racial slur which you admit to yourself, so there is no debate on irrational accusation of racism. Hence no racial cards are being played. With regards to the list Sylen posted; context is important here, when someone says crow they are 99.9% of the time talking about the bird, when someone says coon instead of raccoon it's not the same thing. Or do you regularly say coon referring to raccoon? "Lemme do my coon dailies." Thought not.

My reasoning for proposing for it to be censored is because there are plenty of closet keyboard warrior racists spamming the word in world chat across multiple servers at the moment due to the item name, or do you feel that your right to free speech is being infringed upon as you won't be able to say such an obviously racial derogatory slur openly?

I'm not even black and I find it offensive. It's a word that was openly used to slander black people by the likes of the KKK when lynching was a pastime in the US.

Before you get all offended I'm not accusing you of being racist, more like mildly ignorant/apathetic.
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
    edited June 2015
    Contradicting yourself.
    Read my posts entirely and don't quote only parts making it seem like I contradict myself. The word means more than just the racial slur, and anyone with half a brain cell would see it means raccoon in the context used that OP complains about.

For the record 'playing the racism card' is when one party irrationally accuses the other of being racist attempting to invalidate their logic and ignore their argument. Here it's clearly a racial slur which you admit to yourself, so there is no debate on irrational accusation of racism.
    No, I said it CAN be a racial slur, depending on context. I said in PWI it obviously means the raccoon.
    Hence no racial cards are being played.
    Which means the racial card is being played.

With regards to the list Sylen posted; context is important here, when someone says crow they are 99.9% of the time talking about the bird, when someone says coon instead of raccoon it's not the same thing. Or do you regularly say coon referring to raccoon? "Lemme do my coon dailies." Thought not.
    When someone says coon i assume the word is meant for the cat race, because i'm a cat person. I bet most people don't even know that coon could be used as a racial slur until someone goes all MUH RACISM

My reasoning for proposing for it to be censored is because there are plenty of closet keyboard warrior racists spamming the word in world chat across multiple servers at the moment due to the item name, or do you feel that your right to free speech is being infringed upon as you won't be able to say such an obviously racial derogatory slur openly?
    Just because people are ******* doesn't mean PWE is at fault, what should happen is that those people get silenced, but what are GM's lol.
    Then again, world chat has seen much, MUCH worse.

I'm not even black and I find it offensive. It's a word that was openly used to slander black people by the likes of the KKK when lynching was a pastime in the US, which wasn't even that that long ago, so much for civilised societies.
    Again, may as well censor almost every word on sylen's list, because someone is offended somewhere about something all the time

Before you get all offended I'm not accusing you of being racist, more like mildly ignorant/apathetic.
    /5char tl;dr: read my posts better.
    Soon™
  • Bellicious - Dreamweaver
    Bellicious - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The amount of political correctness in this thread offends me. pls censor this thread.
  • eraldus
    eraldus Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Contradicting yourself.

For the record 'playing the racism card' is when one party irrationally accuses the other of being racist attempting to invalidate their logic and ignore their argument and gain the moral high ground. Here it's clearly a racial slur which you admit to yourself, so there is no debate on irrational accusation of racism. Hence no racial cards are being played. With regards to the list Sylen posted; context is important here, when someone says crow they are 99.9% of the time talking about the bird, when someone says coon instead of raccoon it's not the same thing. Or do you regularly say coon referring to raccoon? "Lemme do my coon dailies." Thought not.

I'm not even black and I find it offensive. It's a word that was openly used to slander black people by the likes of the KKK when lynching was a pastime in the US.

I literally can't take you seriously now...
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
    edited June 2015
    Not sure why everyone's jumping about getting excited.

As this isn't a factual or logical discussion, rather a statement of personal opinion and standpoint, so obviously I'm not expecting nor attempting to change your minds on it. Likewise.
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • light2113
    edited June 2015
    Not sure why everyone's jumping about getting excited.

As this isn't a factual or logical discussion, rather a statement of personal opinion and standpoint, so obviously I'm not expecting nor attempting to change your minds on it. Likewise.
    Exactly my point I'm just stating my opinion and looking for others on it, no need to be on the attack about things. I know the games been translated and that is also why we say things like this? Safety of the game is kind of a good thing...

That being said all that would be done is two letters would be added to the front of it. Nothing much, I'm not trying to make it a problem at all either its an opinion, I'm not wanting to sound like I'm all offended and going to take actions kind of talk.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Give me a break. This is the stupidest thread I've seen posted on this forum for quite some time. Only the baby boomer generation knows that 'coon' was used as a racial slur in the deep south of america. I fail to see any resemblance in the two uses.

People need to stop being whiny little babies and get over themselves. You don't give a **** about slavery, bro. If you did, you'd think twice about buying those Jordans or whatever dumb fashion item that was made by an enslaved child in a sweatshop. Your great, great, great grandpappy that was a slave? Yeah, that happened. Past tense. Get over it. Move on. Get a life beyond holding grudges against something that has long sense been dealt with.

Mods: Might be a wise idea to close this thread before it erupts into a fiasco.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Elsariel - Sanctuary
    Elsariel - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ohgods, Tumblr is full of stuff like this. Nitpicking things to find offense and go on a rampage about.
    Didn't know it also moved here... This is indeed in desperate need of closing.

P.S.

I'm pretty sure everyone has other reasons to be offended at the game by this point, nothing to do with some (temporary) item names.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Now we're all mad here."
  • Eirghan - Sanctuary
    Eirghan - Sanctuary Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    comeonnow wrote: »
    make it lil cracker *<-- click it* \o./ im white and i would lmao xD who wouldnt wanna turn into a cracker in game b:shockedb:shutupb:surrender okie ill be good now all joking aside its ment to be raccoon like everyone else has said why race sex gender has to be brought into every thing now adays is getting beyond ridiculous
    wtb english speaking devs to make this happenb:shutup

I mean lezbehonest have you guys looked up what a pataka is? Its not like the translation is always bang on even for intristic parts of the game, you think they know coon has an alternative (and very outdated and uncommonly used) meaning?
    ♥ Eirghan ♥ Sage Seeker ♥ 105x3 ♥
    ♥ Current Gear: mypers.pw/1.8/#140780/ ♥
  • demansfairy
    demansfairy Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In my twenties and never even known coon was a raciest slur for anything, what the heck is wrong with you OP?? Let it die.
    full +12 SB, currently lv 105 105 105
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Give me a break. This is the stupidest thread I've seen posted on this forum for quite some time. Only the baby boomer generation knows that 'coon' was used as a racial slur in the deep south of america. I fail to see any resemblance in the two uses.

People need to stop being whiny little babies and get over themselves. You don't give a **** about slavery, bro. If you did, you'd think twice about buying those Jordans or whatever dumb fashion item that was made by an enslaved child in a sweatshop. Your great, great, great grandpappy that was a slave? Yeah, that happened. Past tense. Get over it. Move on. Get a life beyond holding grudges against something that has long sense been dealt with.

Mods: Might be a wise idea to close this thread before it erupts into a fiasco.

Im sorry my friend your last sentance is wrong.
    This thread is a fiasco since the first reply.
    giphy.gif

• MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ...while we are at it, my missus is a freckly redhead....can you do something about the name 'spot' for the dog. It is so discriminatory towards redheads who have freckles, and you are associating freckly people with 'dogs' seriously have you no soul.............b:cry
  • Fifty_Shades - Archosaur
    Fifty_Shades - Archosaur Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Coon COON C O O N it is just a word for christ sake grow up and stop trying to cause trouble.

Coon in this case it is an abbreviation for Raccoon. So some peeps will think of it as being a black man. So what ? A lot of people are black... there is good and bad in all races

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Wow.

I have no words....

This isn't here for racism, very few people are going to think of it as racist, and we don't need it getting censored or changed because someone goes and digs up a way for it to be a slur. That's the sort of thing that leads to firecracker, spoon, grasshopper, grape, defeat me, Serendipitous, and so on and so forth being censored out of sheer stupidity. Honestly trying to censor everything that can be used offensively simply leads to finding ways to use words offensively much more than leaving innocent phrases and shortenings be. And if you're honestly offended by it now, it's simply going to get worse because you went and pointed out the relatively ancient use instead of leaving it be and allowing the vast majority to remain ignorant of the fact.

Regardless, this is going so far into nowhere so fast that it's traveled back in time to a point where this had any sort of relevance whatsoever. In order to prevent further damage to the space-time continuum, I'm going to have to perform a time lock on this.
    (Insert fancy image here)
This discussion has been closed.