New Char and full mailbox - fyi

MageMERC - Harshlands
MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
So I created an alt, because I want to get 8 event gold per account....

After the third log in the mailbox icon came up so off I went to get the Tier 1 stuff.

Excellent, there was the 3 tier 1 items.......plus 18 other items including hypers, vip charms, dreamchaser packs x 2, maiden kiss chests and jones blessings?????? Has that happened to anyone else......

Not that I'm complaining but it will be a pity when I delete the char after I get the event gold....

OPKossy wrote: »
Were the other items marked as new mails that didn't show up until that third day or were they already there as "read" mails? (Basically, did you check the mail before the character qualified for tier 1)

If the former, wow that's lucky for you and not too sure what to make of it. For the latter, it probably used a name that was once used but the original owner deleted. If I recall correctly, the system automatically will keep mails for characters like that. It was either that, or if you delete a character that has mail your next character made will inherit the mail from the one you deleted. It's been a while and I forgot which it was but yeah, it's a way to have a brand new character wind up with stuff in their mail.

To anyone that didnt know, I wanted to share this. I tested OPKossy's theory. What happened was, to quickly take advantage of the May event, and get the gold, I made a dusky and ended up with a mail box full of stuff.

I deleted that dusky, which made it disappear today, and just made a new sin. That sin now has a mailbox full of stuff as soon as I created it.

Just FYI thats all....
Post edited by MageMERC - Harshlands on

Comments

• avs33fan
    avs33fan Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seems like you got lucky.

Is it the exact same mail as the DB?
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To anyone that didnt know, I wanted to share this. I tested OPKossy's theory. What happened was, to quickly take advantage of the May event, and get the gold, I made a dusky and ended up with a mail box full of stuff.

I deleted that dusky, which made it disappear today, and just made a new sin. That sin now has a mailbox full of stuff as soon as I created it.

Just FYI thats all....

Did the characters share the exact same name? If so, that might explain it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Did the characters share the exact same name? If so, that might explain it.

No I specifically tested it that way. As OPKossy indicated, its an old mechanic that no one seems to remember but it works like this:

Lets say you have a char with lots of rewards on it. You dont want that char anymore and want to delete it. Well the game saves your mailbox. So that next char you make gets that old mailbox full of stuff. I made my sin with a different name to the dusky. As soon as I created the char I looked in the mailbox. Everything from my dusky was there.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Yeah. It was a lot more common back before account stashes became a thing and people used to do it pretty often.

Since then though, we mostly haven't cared/needed it and the mechanic was pretty much forgotten.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think this bug have been here since the game was created.

5 years ago I deleted an alt with a nearly full mailbox, created another one almost inmediatly, and her mailbox had the same items that my deleted had.

Never tried to abuse it, 7 days to delete a character is away too much for me.
  • Keisari - Raging Tide
    Keisari - Raging Tide Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To clarify about this topic:

If you delete a character, the next character you make on the same account gets the deleted character's mailbox, blacklist and friendlist(and shows up with that deleted char's name on friendlists of those who were deleted char's friends).

So the mailbox, blacklist and friendlist are bound to character slots on accounts.

It's not name-based so if you delete a char and make another with same name on another acc, you won't get deleted char's stoofs on new char.

Kitty tested these when she came back to PWI a bit over year ago.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kittysama - Raging Tide in APS-barb disguise, when avatars were bugged. Now posting again as Kittysama.
    Deleted old mains on Feb. 2014, back with every viable build covered, majority of them at or above non-rb 100.b:cute
    The Greatest APS-Panda on RT! 'Cause there's too much food in tables of Imperial palace.b:surrender
    Kitty's current average lvl ~94 b:shocked